Mini Braid Challenge- Summer 2012

I am finding myself re-braiding braids that have too much loose hair surrounding them or braids just looking otherwise frizzy. I won't be able to take a dramatic new growth photo since I'm trying to keep them fresh looking all the way throughout.

I am finding myself re-braiding braids that have too much loose hair surrounding them or braids just looking otherwise frizzy. I won't be able to take a dramatic new growth photo since I'm trying to keep them fresh looking all the way throughout.

See this is my issue too! My fuzz/loose hair is mainly at the base of my braids so I'm constantly redoing braids. Thinking about transitioning my minis to extensions (unbraiding then rebraiding with extension hair) since the parts are already there....

Hi ladies...I've been lurking this thread and y'all inspired my to try braids on my relaxed hair...I plan on keeping them in for 2 weeks but I was wondering how you wash your hair in your braids... Normally I prepoo, shampoo, condition and deep condition but can I do this on braids? Thanks so much in advance...HHG

I have relaxed hair too. When I installed my minis I was 8mths post. I didn't co-wash them though, so I only kept them in for 2wks then I would dc,cowash and re-install & keep in for another 2wks. I probably could have co-washed them since I was so many mths post. If you go to my albums you can see the end results. To keep mines from unraveling, I used ampro bees wax.

Good Luck & please post pics.

I'd like to join!!! I've been in my braids since June 29th and am still rocking them. I washed and conditioned, a little leave in and olive ampro gel (I had a sample) and it turned out well.

My braid Regimen:
wash and condition when my hair feels crunchy (built up product)
moisturize in the morning and night
satin scarf at night
I'm into twisting them up with a banana clip right now and I love it!
Will definitely DC once a month in or out of braids
dusting my fine ends every month or two

Will post pics as soon as I learn how lol

I'll get better pics but here is what I have on hand:ohwell:

Attachments

• IMAG1020 (1).jpg
    IMAG1020 (1).jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG1024.jpg
    IMAG1024.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 48
Joining! Just finished these today.

minibraids.jpg

minibraids2.jpg

My plan is to cowash once a week. Wash with my shampoo mix every 2-3 weeks if I feel necessary. I am going to use my crisco mix to seal in my moisture and spray with some water or aloe vera juice as needed. I plan to leave these in for 2 months (LOL we will see). I blew out my hair and shaped it up. Cut about 1-2.5 inches (layers) total. I am above APL now :( I'll be back shortly though.

Welcome guys, thanks for joining. :)

I'll get better pics but here is what I have on hand:ohwell:

Very nice!

Joining! Just finished these today.

minibraids.jpg

minibraids2.jpg

My plan is to cowash once a week. Wash with my shampoo mix every 2-3 weeks if I feel necessary. I am going to use my crisco mix to seal in my moisture and spray with some water or aloe vera juice as needed. I plan to leave these in for 2 months (LOL we will see). I blew out my hair and shaped it up. Cut about 1-2.5 inches (layers) total. I am above APL now :( I'll be back shortly though.

To be honest your braids might not last that long because they aren't braided very tight. Just be gentle with them, maybe wash in larger braids or banded ponytails to prevent frizzing.

They look nice though. :yep:

Welcome guys, thanks for joining. :)

Very nice!

To be honest your braids might not last that long because they aren't braided very tight. Just be gentle with them, maybe wash in larger braids or banded ponytails to prevent frizzing.

They look nice though. :yep:

Thank you! My history with braids has always been that the part between my new growth and the braid will mat together if I do them tightly. I have to braid them loose or else I lose way more hair than the shedded hair. I will try what you said about washing in larger braids to see if that helps me. If they do last a monthish then I'll be happy. I usually only make it a couple weeks in protective styles before I want to quit Lol

Thank you! My history with braids has always been that the part between my new growth and the braid will mat together if I do them tightly. I have to braid them loose or else I lose way more hair than the shedded hair. I will try what you said about washing in larger braids to see if that helps me. If they do last a monthish then I'll be happy. I usually only make it a couple weeks in protective styles before I want to quit Lol

The length of the braid itself should be tight, not necessarily the roots. They should last at least a month if you don't mind a little fuzz. :)

Photoon6-19-12at127PM.jpg

Photoon6-19-12at129PM.jpg

Here are my mini-braids upon completion. I decided to join the challenge, but forgot to update the thread. I started braiding on June 4th (the back), and finally finished everything on June 11.

So my braids have been in for four weeks. I will take new pics tomorrow to show my roots

I will also practice my picture resizing skills tomorrow :yep:

how do you keep you hair from locking, did this on my daughter's hair she almost killed me when some were already locking

Miss_Luna said:
Here are my mini-braids upon completion. I decided to join the challenge, but forgot to update the thread. I started braiding on June 4th (the back), and finally finished everything on June 11.

So my braids have been in for four weeks. I will take new pics tomorrow to show my roots

I will also practice my picture resizing skills tomorrow :yep:

Lovely braids:)

Was there a lot of matting? If so that is the result of loose hairs I would suggest you make the braids tighter not from the root just the braud itself.
manter26 is the expert she can help further if you have more questions:)hth

:yep:

Rufigirl

Make sure you are moisturizing and sealing or cowashing often. Tighter textures, especially, need a lot of moisture. For my niece (4b/4c) hair I spray with an aloe vera & water mix then coat with Kinky Kurly Knot Today. If you don't have that there, any softening leave in will do.

Honestly, I've never experienced any matting or knotting on my hair or on anyone else's hair. This is my nieces 4b/c hair after almost 4 weeks of braids. I took it out with no product it came undone with no problem. I actually tried to loc my hair and after 3 months of being extra careful- no conditioning, etc- it still came undone when it got wet.

jun23cakes4.png

taking them out

cakes2-vi.jpg

putting them in/texture shot (a little stretched here)-shrinks to 1 or 2"

If you run into problems while undoing, spray the tangled area with a conditioner water mix or an oil mix for some slip.

Last edited:
On the matting topic:
This is why I love the minis sans the extensions. I used to wear micros in the past & I always got that build up around the base of the braid & I would lose alot of hair during the takedown. Without the extensions, I can oil my hair & co wash often & I don't have any build up issues.

My hair is softer in my nape area so I have unraveling issues back there but def not any matting & this was the area that would matte the worst when I wore micros.

I didn't take any pics when I got my braids done the last time but it's about time for me to get the cornrows in the front rebraided so I'll make sure I take some pics this time & post.

Hey you guys, just checking in! Today was a wash day for me, it was not planned ahead but my hair felt crunchy and a little dry which for me means product build up. Soooo....

Last night I oiled my braids with Vatika hair oil and left on over night.
This morning I rinsed it out and washed with Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo.
After shampooing I conditioned with MyHoneyChild peppermint conditioner and left on for about 5min while I finished showering.
After rinsing I sprayed my damp hair with MHC herbal cocktail and sealed with coconut oil and MHC coconut milk.
The ends of my hair that was left already curled up from the water and products but I also added a little aloe vera gel solely to the ends.
I made sure to oil my scalp this time and I did so with MHC organic oil (idk the exact name off the top of my head)
And for the final touches I put a very small amount of MHC hemp butter on my edges and put all my hair in a banana clip w/ a flower thingy and let it air dry as I went along with my day. :ohwell::grin:

Oh and the little white spot in the front where my edges are is just the Hemp butter, it didnt dry yet.

Attachments

• IMAG1071.jpg
    IMAG1071.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG1079.jpg
    IMAG1079.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG1077.jpg
    IMAG1077.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMAG1080.jpg
    IMAG1080.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 64
I actually tried to loc my hair and after 3 months of being extra careful- no conditioning, etc- it still came undone when it got wet.

I tried locing my hair as well for two months and as soon as i washed it, it was like I never had them in, humph. I did notice the growth though... maybe coils can be a good protective style as well if not worn too long.

Dont lynch me :sandm: I know I hadn't gotten back to y'all about posting so heres a few!!! I've only had them in for about 5 days plus I got a trim almost 10 days ago so I'm ready for this challenge!!

Routine I'm going to use/have used:
>Every other day I use moe grow (made it myself)
>Moisture spray ( aloe vera mix)
> As needed entwine couture hydrating butter on the ends (trying to keep my retention up)
>Sealing as needed
>Bunning them day and night
>Wash and or co-wash (aussie moist) as needed

I'm also taking hairfinity nightly and massaging my scalp whenever I apply my oils for a few minutes. I'm hoping to keep this routine up till it gets cool here in Florida then I dunno what I'll do

**Side note: When I'm done with my moe grow I'm switching it up to HGTE

Pic 2- Showing my layers from a while back :ohwell: I can't wait till they grow in more

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 49
I actually tried to loc my hair and after 3 months of being extra careful- no conditioning, etc- it still came undone when it got wet.

I tried locing my hair as well for two months and as soon as i washed it, it was like I never had them in, humph. I did notice the growth though... maybe coils can be a good protective style as well if not worn too long.

yep. This is why when people say "my hair mattes, locs, dreads, etc from xyz style" I always think do you know how hard it is to get hair to loc. At least with me it just wasn't happening so I gave up and moved on. I only had one loc started and it was hard to section that part off and keep it dry while maintaining the rest of my hair.

Last edited:
Hey you guys, just checking in! Today was a wash day for me, it was not planned ahead but my hair felt crunchy and a little dry which for me means product build up. Soooo....

Last night I oiled my braids with Vatika hair oil and left on over night.
This morning I rinsed it out and washed with Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo.
After shampooing I conditioned with MyHoneyChild peppermint conditioner and left on for about 5min while I finished showering.
After rinsing I sprayed my damp hair with MHC herbal cocktail and sealed with coconut oil and MHC coconut milk.
The ends of my hair that was left already curled up from the water and products but I also added a little aloe vera gel solely to the ends.
I made sure to oil my scalp this time and I did so with MHC organic oil (idk the exact name off the top of my head)
And for the final touches I put a very small amount of MHC hemp butter on my edges and put all my hair in a banana clip w/ a flower thingy and let it air dry as I went along with my day. :ohwell::grin:

Oh and the little white spot in the front where my edges are is just the Hemp butter, it didnt dry yet.

Nice! I'm kinda jealous of those edges.

Dont lynch me :sandm: I know I hadn't gotten back to y'all about posting so heres a few!!! I've only had them in for about 5 days plus I got a trim almost 10 days ago so I'm ready for this challenge!!

Routine I'm going to use/have used:
>Every other day I use moe grow (made it myself)
>Moisture spray ( aloe vera mix)
> As needed entwine couture hydrating butter on the ends (trying to keep my retention up)
>Sealing as needed
>Bunning them day and night
>Wash and or co-wash (aussie moist) as needed

I'm also taking hairfinity nightly and massaging my scalp whenever I apply my oils for a few minutes. I'm hoping to keep this routine up till it gets cool here in Florida then I dunno what I'll do

**Side note: When I'm done with my moe grow I'm switching it up to HGTE

Pic 2- Showing my layers from a while back :ohwell: I can't wait till they grow in more

Your braids remind me of my sister's hair. Did you have them in cornrows to get the waves? Very nice.

On the matting topic:
This is why I love the minis sans the extensions. I used to wear micros in the past & I always got that build up around the base of the braid & I would lose alot of hair during the takedown. Without the extensions, I can oil my hair & co wash often & I don't have any build up issues.

My hair is softer in my nape area so I have unraveling issues back there but def not any matting & this was the area that would matte the worst when I wore micros.

I didn't take any pics when I got my braids done the last time but it's about time for me to get the cornrows in the front rebraided so I'll make sure I take some pics this time & post.

Ditto. I also use a product that deep cleans and keep my hair free of build up. I use Home Health's Hairever Cleansing Scalp Treatment. It does a great job of cutting through buildup, especially oils which don't rinse clean from cowashing only.

HHE-57024-1.jpg

iherb
iherb code for $5 off first order is EKI823

amazon

I've seen similar products in health food stores. This is the only one I've tried and I like it because it tingles, but I have to dilute it because it's strong. I think a scalp cleanser is a good thing to use if you wear any type of long term protective style.

Back