Mini Braid Challenge- Summer 2012

Just moisturized and sealed my bigger braids (using wen 613 mist & Vatika oil) I've been taking out my mind and making bigger ones in preparation for a good wash and DC ill redo my minis this weekend

I ended up getting a full head of mini cornrows this time around. Since cornrows only last me a couple of weeks, I'll definitely be getting my minis done when I go back.

At last... it is time for this set to end...we've had a great lazy time...Ive got about .5-1 inch growth in only 4 weeks. I mostly stuck to my vitamins and scalp massages.... but I THINK I'll be on a personal hide my hair challenge for the next year. So no more mini braids for awhile.. i just miss my weaves

i wore my minibraids for 5 weeks. i got nice growth from them but my hair dreaded! it took me a few days and 3 detangling sessions to get the hair free. i dont plan on doing them again mainly because i dont like they way they looked on me. they were so convenient though. if i could pull them off they would be my staple style.
here is what they looked like at 4 weeks
4wksbraids.jpg

braidgrowth.jpg

im texlaxed and i rinsed daily and only 1 short braid fell out by my edges.

Napp said:
i wore my minibraids for 5 weeks. i got nice growth from them but my hair dreaded! it took me a few days and 3 detangling sessions to get the hair free. i dont plan on doing them again mainly because i dont like they way they looked on me. they were so convenient though. if i could pull them off they would be my staple style.
here is what they looked like at 4 weeks

im texlaxed and i rinsed daily and only 1 short braid fell out by my edges.

What did you use to take them out? My fist takedown was a mess but now I've got the hang of it I use braidspray or scurl to take them out with no issues

What did you use to take them out? My fist takedown was a mess but now I've got the hang of it I use braidspray or scurl to take them out with no issues
i started to take thwem down with conditioner but once i noticed that was making it worse i took them out on bare hair.

Napp said:
i started to take thwem down with conditioner but once i noticed that was making it worse i took them out on bare hair.

The first time I used conditioner to and that was my mistake all I needed was a tiny bit of moisture not that much. This time I lost 3x less the hair as last time too. Its all trial and error so don't give up yet it gets easier:)

Hey everyone, I'm on here trying to figure out how my 3b/3c natural hair in mini braids. It's kinda fine and no so thick and I'm hoping it will look ok Anyone with similar hair type have pics or suggestions?

^^bumping for you.

You could always put in 3-4 braids and see how they turn out. I think you'd be fine (density and texture-wise) if you planned to wear them up.

Hey everyone, I'm on here trying to figure out how my 3b/3c natural hair in mini braids. It's kinda fine and no so thick and I'm hoping it will look ok Anyone with similar hair type have pics or suggestions?

jprayze, i was going to ask if anyone with 3b/c hair can hold these mini braids. I hate having this texture only:sad: can't hold any styles, i had cornrow today but had to put rubber bands on the ends to hold them.

manter26, love your mini's

Ill be redoing my minis today gonna use SM CES and maybe some E QP Mango Butter if my CES runs out before I'm done

@jprayze, i was going to ask if anyone with 3b/c hair can hold these mini braids. I hate having this texture only:sad: can't hold any styles, i had cornrow today but had to put rubber bands on the ends to hold them.

@manter26, love your mini's

So this is how they turned out! http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=16599181&postcount=4805

I went to the braid shop. The kept asking me did I want more hair. Then All the braiders wanted to give it a try! They actually tied thread on the bottom of some of my braids to hold them in. Some of them are starting to unravel and I was able to rebraid them.

PrettyDimples just put in some mini braids. Her hair is longer than mine but I probably have about 4 times as much hair as her. It only took her 7 hrs. Her braids look smaller than mine but the parts might be the same. It looks great on her and we do them pretty much the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs31twQZ8ic

Last edited:
I redid my minis the other day and I really want them to last me a good 6 weeks this time so I'm gonna cut out my midweek CoWashes and just do my once a week wash n DC:)

lamaria211 said:
manter26 how often do you wash and or CW? TIA

I don't keep a schedule while in braids, if my hair needs something, I do it. With loose hair I DC every Saturday and that's the only thing I do regularly.

Over the last 8 weeks in braids I probably cowashed between 1-3 times a week. I shampooed twice total I think with a sulfate free shampoo. That was only because I used an oil and sulphur mix that needed to be cleansed.

I used a very light organic conditioner most times but I noticed lots of splits so I used protein maybe 3 times in 8 weeks. I need a lot of protein because my hair is fine and porous.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

manter26 when you say that you use protein......how do.you use it? in what form?

When I am in braids I cowash daily and althougj my hair is moisturized I think I need more protein to combat the loss of hair that I get when detangling

MegaTek and GPB work great on my hair. While Aphogee products make my hair hard. I've also used an egg which worked nicely

manter26 when you say that you use protein......how do.you use it? in what form?

When I am in braids I cowash daily and althougj my hair is moisturized I think I need more protein to combat the loss of hair that I get when detangling

I used Motions CPR once then Aphogee 2 min the other times.

I re-braided about 65% of my hair today. I was home sick from work so I took advantage of the time on the couch, though I am feeling miserable. I probably could have completed my entire head had I been feeling better. The last time I did them many came out a little sloppy from me stopping mid-braid and re-sectioning the hair to even the length out. There is a right way and a wrong way to do this, and I created a few tangles. :spinning: I did a much better job this time around. At night I washed with kinky curly come clean, dc with aussie 3 min miracle, moisturized with avj and kinky curly knot today then sealed with kinky curly perfectly polished oil.

Back