Messianic Hebrews/Yisra'el/Nazarenes???

Why is there a snake in Tsipora's avitar?

She's no longer a member here, so I'm unable to ask her.

Thanks for bumping this. I was just thinking last night hmm I wonder if there are any Messianic Jews on this site. I have met Messianic Jews at my church and at first I was very confused LOL but it makes sense to me now. I love listening to Sid Roth's podcasts and his views on the new testament.

Thanks for bumping this. I was just thinking last night hmm I wonder if there are any Messianic Jews on this site. I have met Messianic Jews at my church and at first I was very confused LOL but it makes sense to me now. I love listening to Sid Roth's podcasts and his views on the new testament.

Sid Roth is a blessing. :yep:

My daughter and I also listen to Rabbi Jonathan Bernis

http://www.jewishvoice.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_Our_Executive_Director

We learn a lot just by 'listening'. :yep:

Why is there a snake in Tsipora's avitar?

She's no longer a member here, so I'm unable to ask her.

Not a snake. It's a SHOFAR.
An instrument most often made from a ram’s horn, though it can also be made from the horn of a sheep or goat. It makes a trumpet-like sound and is traditionally blown on New Moon, Rosh HaShanah...
There are many symbolic meanings associated with the shofar and one of the best known has to do with the Akedah, when God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. The story is recounted in Genesis 22:1-24 and culminates with Abraham raising the knife to slay his son only to have God stay his hand and bring his attention to a ram caught in a nearby thicket. Abraham sacrificed the ram instead. Because of this story some midrashim claim that whenever the shofar is blown God will remember Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice his son and will therefore forgive those who hear the shofar’s blasts. In this way, just as the shofar blasts remind us to turn our hearts towards repentance, they also remind God to forgive us for our trespasses.
The shofar is also associated with the idea of crowning God as King on Rosh HaShanah. The breath used by the Tokea to make the sounds of the shofar are also associated with the breathe of life, which God first breathed into Adam upon the creation of humanity.

The man who blows the shofar is required to be of blameless character and conspicuous devotion; he must blow blasts of different timbre, some deep, some high, some quavering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shofar
The shofar is mentioned frequently in the Hebrew Bible, ... The blast of a shofar emanating from the thick cloud on Mount Sinai made the Israelites tremble in awe (Exodus 18, 20).
The shofar was used in to announce holidays (Ps. lxxxi. 4), and the Jubilee year (Lev. 25. 9). The first day of the seventh month is termed "a memorial of blowing" (Lev. 23. 24), or "a day of blowing" (Num. xxix. 1), the shofar. They were for signifying the start of a war (Josh. 6. 4; Judges 3. 27; 7. 16, 20; I Sam. 8. 3). Later, it was also employed in processions (II Sam. 6. 15; I Chron. 15. 28), as musical accompaniment (Ps. 98. 6; comp. ib. xlvii. 5) and eventually it was inserted into the temple orchestra by David (Ps. 150. 3). Note that the 'trumpets' described in Numbers 10 are a different instrument, described by the Hebrew word 'trumpet' not the word for shofar.

shofar.gif
[FONT=&quot]
images

[/FONT]

Not a snake. It's a SHOFAR.
An instrument most often made from a ram’s horn, though it can also be made from the horn of a sheep or goat. It makes a trumpet-like sound and is traditionally blown on New Moon, Rosh HaShanah...
There are many symbolic meanings associated with the shofar and one of the best known has to do with the Akedah, when God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. The story is recounted in Genesis 22:1-24 and culminates with Abraham raising the knife to slay his son only to have God stay his hand and bring his attention to a ram caught in a nearby thicket. Abraham sacrificed the ram instead. Because of this story some midrashim claim that whenever the shofar is blown God will remember Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice his son and will therefore forgive those who hear the shofar’s blasts. In this way, just as the shofar blasts remind us to turn our hearts towards repentance, they also remind God to forgive us for our trespasses.
The shofar is also associated with the idea of crowning God as King on Rosh HaShanah. The breath used by the Tokea to make the sounds of the shofar are also associated with the breathe of life, which God first breathed into Adam upon the creation of humanity.

The man who blows the shofar is required to be of blameless character and conspicuous devotion; he must blow blasts of different timbre, some deep, some high, some quavering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shofar
The shofar is mentioned frequently in the Hebrew Bible, ... The blast of a shofar emanating from the thick cloud on Mount Sinai made the Israelites tremble in awe (Exodus 18, 20).
The shofar was used in to announce holidays (Ps. lxxxi. 4), and the Jubilee year (Lev. 25. 9). The first day of the seventh month is termed "a memorial of blowing" (Lev. 23. 24), or "a day of blowing" (Num. xxix. 1), the shofar. They were for signifying the start of a war (Josh. 6. 4; Judges 3. 27; 7. 16, 20; I Sam. 8. 3). Later, it was also employed in processions (II Sam. 6. 15; I Chron. 15. 28), as musical accompaniment (Ps. 98. 6; comp. ib. xlvii. 5) and eventually it was inserted into the temple orchestra by David (Ps. 150. 3). Note that the 'trumpets' described in Numbers 10 are a different instrument, described by the Hebrew word 'trumpet' not the word for shofar.

shofar.gif
[FONT=&quot]
images

[/FONT]

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Oh Crown... what are you gonna do with me? :huh:

And I know what a Shofar is because we have several in our Church and my daughter has one. Each year my family celebrates both Christmas and Hanukkah. We do the entire ceremony. I have to show you pictures.

But the picture looked like a 'snake' to me. And I even have new reading glasses...with swarowski crystals on the rims...

My point... I still didn't recgonize the Shofar in the picture ...

Pray for me. :lol:

Thanks Crown... :kiss:

And I know what a Shofar is because we have several in our Church and my daughter has one. Each year my family celebrates both Christmas and Hanukkah. We do the entire ceremony. I have to show you pictures.

But the picture looked like a 'snake' to me. And I even have new reading glasses...with swarowski crystals on the rims...

I thought you were kidding, but I answered anyway thinking this can still help someone.

:lol::lol:

I thought you were kidding, but I answered anyway thinking this can still help someone.

:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Crown....

Hey Angel, I really did 'think' it was a picture of a snake. :yep: I was sitting at my desk and I kept staring at it and wondering, "Why does she have a picture of a snake in her Avatar?" It reminded me of the movie "The Ten Commandments" when Moses laid down his staff and it transformed into a snake. :yep:

I'm glad that you enlarged the picture for me. Now the very same picture that you enlarged looks more like a Shofar. I have to realize that reading glasses are not the same as regular glasses, as I can't see a thing with them outside of 'small print'. :bookworm: To see 'regular' images and people, I have to look above the rim of the glasses; and look down to read.

Also, Crown please keep posting your knowledge and wisdom. It's rich and I enjoy reading what you are sharing. Especially since you delivered me from seeing 'snakes'.... :lol:

Plus it's good use for my new reading glasses... :yep: :bookworm: :yep:

Blessings and thanks for the posts. :up:

Thanks for bumping this thread. I got a chance to read it. This thread has some great information in it. I need to go study.

LOL :lol:

Hilarious!

LOL :lol:

Hilarious!

:lol::lol::lol:

My reading glasses :bookworm: are 'cute' though. :yep: Can't tell me nothing when I put them on. :gorgeous:

I may not be able to 'see' you when I look up, but I sure look cute with them on, 'swars' crystals and all. :lol:

Back