Me Too Sweet Cashew

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I read SC's thread the other day about the woman in the Asian BSS assuming that her hair was a weave.

I went last night to pick up some Elasta shampoo. I had my hair in a pony tail. The man at the register was an older Asian man and he seemed nice enough. Then he starts to show me the different types of hair they have behind the register. And from what I could make out of his English, he recommended one brand specifically. :shocked: I told him "Sir, I don't wear "hair", this is MY hair." His eyes got really big and he said "Ah, dat yuh haih?"

It is annoying that they think that if we have long hair, it must be purchased hair rather than grown hair. :nono: But rather than get upset, I realize that to every one of us that does come in sporting our own lengthy tresses, there are probably 10 more that come in and purchase hair from him. So I'll give him/them the benefit of the doubt and say that their ignorance is based on their experiences.

However... we need to start a "National LHCF go to Asian BSS with our hair down day" :lol: We should each go to at least 5 Asian BSS on that day (you know you can find 5 in a 3 block radius, so no waste of gas) and then maybe that will get the word out that many of us really do have our own long hair.

Okay...

It has also become overwelmingly clear to me that most of us before coming to LHCF did not know how to properly take care of our tresses, which is how the majority of us ended up with short hair or damaged hair or even worse very little hair :nono:

Our hair is very different, and it's not as easy to grow it out (We all know this)...so it is no surprise to me...to hear that those people are making those types of comments about our hair. :ohwell:

I only wish there were more of us to go around and represent...but there isn't...yet.

I personally think what the guy said was 'Annoying', but...he was only basing it on what he usually see's.

Last edited:
You are so right, Supergirl. Although my hair is NO WHERE NEAR yours and SweetCashew....yet, when I go into the BSS, I always seem to help the people that come in there with damage tresses, not knowing what to buy and the Asian guys are always looking at me like.....:look:!

The sad part is there's a beauty supply store on 8th and 35th st. that's always filling orders for human hairclip pieces for white women. Every time I go there to get some products a 25/20 is in there asking about her order, or getting the pieces clipped in. But let one of us come in there with healthy hair, whether its long or short and the workers will stare HARD to see if she's going to pick up some weave hair or a wig.

I read SC's thread the other day about the woman in the Asian BSS assuming that her hair was a weave.

I went last night to pick up some Elasta shampoo. I had my hair in a pony tail. The man at the register was an older Asian man and he seemed nice enough. Then he starts to show me the different types of hair they have behind the register. And from what I could make out of his English, he recommended one brand specifically. :shocked: I told him "Sir, I don't wear "hair", this is MY hair." His eyes got really big and he said "Ah, dat yuh haih?"

It is annoying that they think that if we have long hair, it must be purchased hair rather than grown hair. :nono: But rather than get upset, I realize that to every one of us that does come in sporting our own lengthy tresses, there are probably 10 more that come in and purchase hair from him. So I'll give him/them the benefit of the doubt and say that their ignorance is based on their experiences.

However... we need to start a "National LHCF go to Asian BSS with our hair down day" :lol: We should each go to at least 5 Asian BSS on that day (you know you can find 5 in a 3 block radius, so no waste of gas) and then maybe that will get the word out that many of us really do have our own long hair.

:lachen::lachen: I can so hear that man's voice. We really should all go to the BSS with our hair down. I can't wait to hear the stories.

It is annoying that they think that if we have long hair, it must be purchased hair rather than grown hair. :nono:

But, generally that is the case. That guy would not be in business if it weren't for all that hair that ladies are out here buying. It is his bread and butter so I would not be mad at him. Poor thang doesn't know any better.

I don't ever think it will change either. Not in my lifetime, at least. It stills seems that so many people just HAVE to get weaves and hair pieces in order to feel attractive.

I understand that most BSS owners see sistas rockin false hair.

But since they're "professionals" shouldn't they know the difference?:perplexed

It is pretty messed up imo. Knowing me we would have had a talk and I would asked him why don't you know the difference between real hair and fake hair. Also and that he shouldn't assume like Supergirl says:grin: that someone has fake hair and immediately lead them to that section.

:lachen: You make a good visual and audial!

Okay...

It has also become overwelmingly clear to me that most of us before coming to LHCF did not know how to properly take care of our tresses, which is how the majority of us ended up with short hair or damaged hair or even worse very little hair :nono:

Our hair is very different, and it's not as easy to grow it out (We all know this)...so it is no surprise to me...to hear that those people are making those types of comments about our hair. :ohwell:

I only wish there were more of us to go around and represent...but there isn't...yet.

I personally think what the guy said was 'Annoying', but...he was only basing it on what he usually see's.

I don't know. I think some of us came to LHCF with healthy hair that we wanted to grow longer. That was me. I'm not saying I haven't learned some things here, but when I found this site, my hair was in nice condition and near BSL already. So maybe that's why I'm a bit perturbed at ol' dude. :lol: (because I've never had a "need" for a weave)

I don't know. I think some of us came to LHCF with healthy hair that we wanted to grow longer. That was me. I'm not saying I haven't learned some things here, but when I found this site, my hair was in nice condition and near BSL already. So maybe that's why I'm a bit perturbed at ol' dude. :lol: (because I've never had a "need" for a weave)
This is my situation too.;)

My hair was already healthy for the most part, just not as long as I want it.

But my hair has truly prospered since joining this site.:yep:

Last edited:
"Ah, dat yuh haih?" --This is so much better when read aloud!!!:lachen:

I know I know :lachen::lachen::lachen:

In all fairness, ESPECIALLY in the case of Supergirl and Sweet C, you DONT see hair like that every day, especially on black women. You ladies, like many on this board are exceptions not the rule. I cant lie, when I see black women with hair past a certain length I automatically assume its a weave, and 99.999% of the time it is. I can tell the difference.

SG, that is SO funny!

You are so right, Supergirl. Although my hair is NO WHERE NEAR yours and SweetCashew....yet, when I go into the BSS, I always seem to help the people that come in there with damage tresses, not knowing what to buy and the Asian guys are always looking at me like.....:look:!

It's weird because when I go to the bss nobody is buying hair stuff. Everyone that comes in is looking for fake hair or ponytails.:perplexed I'm like, am I the only one concerned with my hair's health here, lol.

that is funny.......I never had the need for a weave but I will get one for a protective style one day and most likely it will be a 10 inch when my hair is APL. That hair cost to much to get anything longer. I swear, I didn't know weave cost so much until I went on BHM.:lachen:

Fairly new here and just want to say your hair is stunning!!! Maybe he thought it was yours but tried you - just to be sure he wasn't imagining it:lachen::lachen:. Pocohantas - I've never seen your hair either - Sweet Cashew's, Sylver2's, JenniferMD's hair you guys all leave me in awe. It's refreshing to see. With a bit of time, consistancy and determination anyone can reach great lengths - patience is also a requirement. I thank you all for the inspiration.

It's weird because when I go to the bss nobody is buying hair stuff. Everyone that comes in is looking for fake hair or ponytails.:perplexed I'm like, am I the only one concerned with my hair's health here, lol.

I see that, too. Dont let it be close to a holiday!! :nono: You can't even get any assistance from everyone helping out those buying hair!

LOL I noticed that too. The ppl who own the store seem confused that Im buying hair products. They are extra friendly to me and seem so intrigued lol.

You have to realize that probably 90% of the customers are buying hair and that is where they make the most profit for their business. It is a generalization that is easily made when they see the majority of their customers coming in with chewed up hair buying fake hair to cover it up. Im sure that many members of this board prior to LHCF (myself included) at one time didnt consider their hair "done" unless it was weaved up.
It was just within the last year that I started to put time and effort into my own hair because at one time I thought it was a lost cause.

This is one of the reasons I dont mind spending on hair products,etc because many spend hundreds of dollars on fake hair, yet balk at spending $10 on a conditioner.

Well actually I do see people buy hair products but they are products that have the word "growth" and "fast" printed SOMEWHERE on the jar. I don't see people rushing to buy overall hair & scalp health products unless of course "growth" is mentioned on it...

LOL I noticed that too. The ppl who own the store seem confused that Im buying hair products. They are extra friendly to me and seem so intrigued lol.

You have to realize that probably 90% of the customers are buying hair and that is where they make the most profit for their business. It is a generalization that is easily made when they see the majority of their customers coming in with chewed up hair buying fake hair to cover it up. Im sure that many members of this board prior to LHCF (myself included) at one time didnt consider their hair "done" unless it was weaved up.
It was just within the last year that I started to put time and effort into my own hair because at one time I thought it was a lost cause.

This is one of the reasons I dont mind spending on hair products,etc because many spend hundreds of dollars on fake hair, yet balk at spending $10 on a conditioner.

Yup:yep:. That's why a lot of the products in asian bss's sit on the shelf for years and get all old and curdled.

Fairly new here and just want to say your hair is stunning!!! Maybe he thought it was yours but tried you - just to be sure he wasn't imagining it:lachen::lachen:. Pocohantas - I've never seen your hair either - Sweet Cashew's, Sylver2's, JenniferMD's hair you guys all leave me in awe. It's refreshing to see. With a bit of time, consistancy and determination anyone can reach great lengths - patience is also a requirement. I thank you all for the inspiration.
Thank you trini_rican and welcome to lhcf.

Back