Maybe I'm the Black Sheep of the Board....

luxe.li.

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::lachen:

Maybe I'm the Black Sheep of the Board, but I personally don't see anything wrong with growing your hair long and deciding to cut it for style purposes. Right now I'm short, I could of easily transitioned for a year to keep my length and for my hair to grow longer....and it would of been about APL right now (only after 6 months) if I hadn't of BC'd, probably BSL in a year but.....lol I have no problem with short hair.

And when my hair gets longer, I will wear it proud and enjoy it for however long I chose. A year or two, but I know my personality and I know I'll be eager to cut it shorter or into a short style just because style evolves and so does hair.

It doesn't really bother me because I know hair will grow back. Sometimes I do lose patience waiting for my hair to grow, but I'm so busy with school I end of up losing track of time and before you know it BOOM....some length.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with having long hair and keeping it long, but what's so TABOO about cutting long hair.

Just like for Naturals, going from relaxed to natural is TABOO in some people's mind!

P.S. I've gotten suggestions to keep my hair long and get a short wig or weave to suppress my short hair wants, but I don't wear weave, don't intend to do so ever again.....so that suggestion is kind of out the window.

Right now I'm growing my 3.5" to 4" hair out as long as possible because this will be my first time as a natural and I'm curious about how long it can get and its beautiful texture!!

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

You're not the black sheep. I'm really focused on length right now, but SleekandBouncy had long hair, I think it was MBL, and now I think she said she gets it cut twice a year by a pro, in face-flattering short styles. Her current style is in her avi, a cute edgy bob, it's very cute.:yep:

I don't see anything wrong with this...but IMO (really) I don't think I'd ever see the point of growing it, cutting it and growing it again.

I believe I feel this way because I've never been longer than NL all my life so to be SL now is like WOW! I can't wait to see how long it will get because this is all new to me...

(I keep slapping the back of my neck for a bug or something and realizing its my hair LOL)

So for someone to grow all that beautiful hair and then chop it off is like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" in my world...but that's my world.

There are alot of hair styles I want to do when my hair gets long, whether its straight or in its natural state.......but I just know one year I'll see a cut whether its short short or neck length and I'm going to want to cut it.

Right now I really want a blunt bang just straight cut, and maybe a shoulder length and past straight look with the ends cut blunt......but whoa that'll take sometime before I can even get to the thought of that.

PS my friend whose a natural and always had long long hair, just cut her hair into a bob and she's like New cut new me...she loves it. and its growing out she has to go get it re cut!

You are not unusual. I really prefer my hair shoulder length...or shorter.
When my hair is longer, I think I look older and at my age, I DON'T want
to look older.

I don't see anything wrong with this...but IMO (really) I don't think I'd ever see the point of growing it, cutting it and growing it again.

I believe I feel this way because I've never been longer than NL all my life so to be SL now is like WOW! I can't wait to see how long it will get because this is all new to me...

(I keep slapping the back of my neck for a bug or something and realizing its my hair LOL)

So for someone to grow all that beautiful hair and then chop it off is like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" in my world...but that's my world.

I understand completely, but if you grew it once, you could grow it twice right? I can understand not wanting to go through that all again.

But I grew up with my mother changing her styles all the time, cutting, letting it grow back, cutting again, and I never thought it would affect me, but now that I'm grown I realize I am my mother's daughter lol.....

Maybe I'm the Black Sheep of the Board, but I personally don't see anything wrong with growing your hair long and deciding to cut it for style purposes. Right now I'm short, I could of easily transitioned for a year to keep my length and for my hair to grow longer....and it would of been about APL right now (only after 6 months) if I hadn't of BC'd, probably BSL in a year but.....lol I have no problem with short hair.

For me, it's too much work to grow my hair out to cut it anymore, ever.

If you can get to APL in 6 months and BSL in a year, that's really impressive...I can't! The only way I would possibly cut my hair would be to transition - and that would be a loooong transition.

You are not unusual. I really prefer my hair shoulder length...or shorter.
When my hair is longer, I think I look older and at my age, I DON'T want
to look older.

Oohhh I love you're blunt ends...that's what I want one day!! you're hair looks good in your siggy!

I understand completely, but if you grew it once, you could grow it twice right? I can understand not wanting to go through that all again.

But I grew up with my mother changing her styles all the time, cutting, letting it grow back, cutting again, and I never thought it would affect me, but now that I'm grown I realize I am my mother's daughter lol.....

Very true...I guess I just want the chance to see if I can grow it once LOL. Then after having the "hair I've always wanted" who knows...in a few years, I may be posting the very same thing!:drunk:

Last edited:
For me, it's too much work to grow my hair out to cut it anymore, ever.

If you can get to APL in 6 months and BSL in a year, that's really impressive...I can't! The only way I would possibly cut my hair would be to transition - and that would be a loooong transition.

Well my hair WAS already shoulder length before I decided to go natural in July so if I had of just let it grow and not cut it the way I did and then BC'd it I probably would of been APL right now.

but I understand what you're saying also!:yep:

You are not a black sheep. I've BC'd FIVE times since 2003, lol. And even before I went natural, I'd cut off most of my hair to wear short cuts twice before. I get bored easily, I look good with short hair, it's easier to maintain (as a natural). In fact, this is a brand new challenge for me: growing it out. That's why I'm here now after I joined so long ago and never stuck around: motivation for my own personal challenge. I'm determined to go at least five years without cutting my hair for once in my adult life. 1.5 down, 3.5 more years to go! :grin:

And when my hair gets longer, I will wear it proud and enjoy it for however long I chose. A year or two, but I know my personality and I know I'll be eager to cut it shorter or into a short style just because style evolves and so does hair.

It doesn't really bother me because I know hair will grow back. Sometimes I do lose patience waiting for my hair to grow, but I'm so busy with school I end of up losing track of time and before you know it BOOM....some length.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with having long hair and keeping it long, but what's so TABOO about cutting long hair.

Just like for Naturals, going from relaxed to natural is TABOO in some people's mind!

P.S. I've gotten suggestions to keep my hair long and get a short wig or weave to suppress my short hair wants, but I don't wear weave, don't intend to do so ever again.....so that suggestion is kind of out the window.

Right now I'm growing my 3.5" to 4" hair out as long as possible because this will be my first time as a natural and I'm curious about how long it can get and its beautiful texture!!

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Luxe, you're not the black sheep. I LOVE short hair. Not just short hair for the sake of short hair, but a fierce do. I cut my hair in a Halle Berry/Toni Braxton-inspired pixie in middle school. And from that point on, I was known as that girl with the edgy cuts, all of my teens and early 20s. I was synonymous with short dos.

Wearing protective styles for a long period of time, I get bored with my face, and I feel like plain Jane sometimes.

I sometimes fear that after all this hard work to grow long hair, that I will not be as striking as I was with my short hair.

Luxe, I think that's just fine, the forum is mainly about healthy hair so you are no kind of sheep. LHCF attracts a lot of people who want long hair but do not understand it takes a lot of care, years of patience to achieve long hair. You, seem to understand it's about health not length.

Well my hair WAS already shoulder length before I decided to go natural in July so if I had of just let it grow and not cut it the way I did and then BC'd it I probably would of been APL right now.

but I understand what you're saying also!:yep:

Oh, I see what you were saying now. From SL to APL in 6 months and so on... From your avi, you look cute with a short cut! :grin:

Length isn't everything. You and the other ladies are right about that; but that's the only reason why I am on this board. My hair was always in relatively good condition, but as an adult I could never grow it. That's why length is important to me.

I'm intrigued with the amount of information I have received just from being on this board so this board is a BLESSING, because now I know I'm taking care of my hair. When I was in highschool my hair was long just from pure blessings because I was NOT taking care of it in any way shape or form. Right now I'm on a weight loss journey so the short hair looks fine to me on some days when I'm full of confidence but there are days when I'm like...ewww face fat. lol But what scares me is when I drop this weight, I've given myself a year to drop 50lbs, my face will be slimmer and I'll want to cut my hair short again just because I think short hair is fierce just like Lady Esquire....

but for right now I'm gonna grow it long.....pure curiosity.!

You are not a black sheep. I've BC'd FIVE times since 2003, lol. And even before I went natural, I'd cut off most of my hair to wear short cuts twice before. I get bored easily, I look good with short hair, it's easier to maintain (as a natural). In fact, this is a brand new challenge for me: growing it out. That's why I'm here now after I joined so long ago and never stuck around: motivation for my own personal challenge. I'm determined to go at least five years without cutting my hair for once in my adult life. 1.5 down, 3.5 more years to go! :grin:

Right now I stay in the A, and I'm being exposed to the new art and music movement that alot of people are unaware of....just a lot talented, weird, artsy mess going on, so I get exposed to all of it. Its changed me so much from the way I was growing up in TN, and I just love change. I get sooo bored. I love reinventing myself, and I go to design school for fashion and graphic so I love to express myself and sometimes that comes from doing something diff with my hair. Like right now my avi is black hair, but I have a big *** gold streak in the front of my hair now....lol!!!

You're not the black sheep. I think some people actually look better with short hair that with longer hair. I know if I had the face for it, I'd rock a nice halle berry cut or bob like what rihanna had.

I dont see anything wrong with growing it, and then cutting it. Sometimes people get bored. Its nice to switch it up every once in a while.

Girl, if you want to cut your hair, cut it. It'll grow back. Yeah some people can't bring themselves to cut their long hair but to each his own.

Shooo, shome people won't even trim thin or damaged ends.

i cut my hair all the time. i have cut my hair three times since being on this board. i'm trying to grow it out now, but who knows.

Well your on the longhaircareforum so you've gone to a group that wants to grow hair long. There's nothing wrong with short hair. People don't want their hair cut too short by stylists, etc when they're trying to grow it long. There's nothing wrong with short healthy hair of course!

Yes it is called longhaircareforum, and I was almost skeptical about it because although I do want LONG hair, I do not consider myself limited to only having long hair. I stayed because I realized its not so much about length but about RETAINing my hair when it grows and learning how to keep it healthy, but I just feel like its nothing wrong with cutting and regrowing, that's the beauty of hair to me. It grows back.

For me now that I'm on the board I'm learning how to work with my hair so that it'll grow faster and healthier the next time I decide to cut it all off or do something different. I think LHCF has taught me how to maintain healthy hair for life so I won't be stuck in a style because I can't do anything else to my hair. Like some people are scared to cut because they feel like their hair WONT grow back. It is like now I know that I have options....

Back