Married Women/Fiancees...

Aviah

I'm curious here. SO and I are talking about it, and it seems pretty expensive. I'd prefer to keep it simple and elegant, without it looking cheap.

If you plan to have/had a frugal wedding, how did you do it? How much did it cost?

We're trying to keep it all (reception, food, attendant gifts, clothes, food, reception and honeymoon) under $20,000 and that's already too much to me! We have about 150 guests, live in the Boston area and are paying for it ourselves. So far we are doing good in terms of limiting our spending and try to do as much as we can by ourselves.
The only two things I had to do some real extensive research on and compromise are photography and videography because when it's all set and done, these will be my memories and I want them to be good. But I'm getting some great people to do it for half the price usually marketed by more experienced photographers/videographers.

We did everything for about $10,000 (that's including a 10 day honeymoon in the Virgin Islands). You really have to decide what is important to you and your future husband. For us, we wanted good food, good photography, and other than that, the day was to be all about the union between him, me, and God. We had about 120 guests.

I'm definitely a DIY'er, so I did a lot of things myself. I got my invitations on sale from Office Depot, and printed and embellished them myself. They were really nice. I made my own centerpieces (and two of my friends wanted the vases and ideas for their weddings). I got my dress on sale at David's Bridal. A friend of mine who is a makeup artist airbrushed me for free! My stylist friend did my hair. Got my shoes online for about $30. We had our ceremony in a church and the reception was there too. So, it was much cheaper than two separate venues, but we did some nice decorations.

There are a lot of things that you can do to make your wedding cost less money, but not look cheap. PM me if you want some more ideas about what we did. I got married last summer.

I think its so unnecessary to spend so much money on a wedding. Unless u just have it like that and have money to blow - u own ur home, car is paid for, education paid for, etc. If not, its a waste of money. We spent around $7k for ours with 120 guests. We spent the most for photography, but didn't hire a professional videographer. Honestly we only watched to video of our wedding once so I'm glad we didn't spend money on it. The pictures are important though. People always want to see the album.

I know some people want a big dream wedding, but unless you can truly afford it, I think you will regret spending so much. The day goes by so fast, I barely remember it not even 4 years later. Plus a lot of things you think are important, people won't notice (an expensive bouquet vs a cheaper one). If I had it to do again I would spend even less.

Its really reassuring that this is possible! I was considering no bridesmaids or groomsmen, just the maid of honor and a best man... and possibly a destination wedding. Its just less fuss, but I'm wondering if it would be too small...

It's definitely *possible* to do it affordably without being cheap...but realize that you have to be very disciplined to keep costs down. It's very easy to go over budget, especially toward the end. Costs have a way of ballooning out of control because wedding planning is all consuming. I had planned to spend $5000 on my wedding, but it winded up being in the 15-20K range. I'm happy with how it turned out but you have to be prepared for cost overruns.

In my opinion if you don't have the luxury of spending a few grand on a wedding then why bother? I don't understand why people struggle financially to pay for a wedding?

My husband and I got married at our town hall-and then went out for dinner with close family/friends. A month later we threw a really nice all white back yard reception in the house we previously bought with our savings. So instead of spending $30K on a wedding we used it for the down payment of our home :grin:

We will be married with parents and siblings in the pastor's study and we are treating parents, siblings and VERY close friends to a lunch at an upscale restaurant. Less than 25 people it will be under 1k. 1k is including a nice new dress or pantsuit for me and a suit for my beloved.

ETA: The pastor's study is out, because the church (which I am not a member, but grew up there) wanted a $400 donation. Um, can't do that for 30 minutes or less. We were willing to donate up to $200. We will be married in the restaurant. Plus we are allowed to bring in a cake and they will only charge the $1 per person, cake cutting fee. A-OK

Last edited:
We spent around $3,000, which included my dress, cake, limo, DJ and food. We got married in a Gazebo at the park where we spent most of our time while dating, and our food was buffet style, cooked by my family. Best advice I could give is to spend cash!!! It will definitely help you keep to a budget if you don't allow yourself to whip out the plastic! Break it down to the things that you really, really want. You do want to have great memories, but not at the expense of your future. I really wanted that fairytale dress, got if for $250 at David's Bridal........lol, funny thing is the corset, the veil and shoes combined were just short of that. I thought I'd save money by buying my own cake pillars? and bringing them in, and picking up the cake myself, but too much running around had to have them do both.

Whatever you choose, don't forget to enjoy the moment.

I absolutely advise against going into debt for a wedding. There are lots of ways to save

-keep the guest list small
-brunch/lunch reception instead of dinner (or even just cake and punch)
-rent a gazebo at a local park
-get married in the "off season", fall/winter
-have a tailor make your gown
-make your own centerpieces

etc.

Unless you really DO have the money to burn, (as someone said upthread, house paid off (or really low mortgage), cars paid off, 6 months living expenses cash inthe bank) you will be better off saving the money.

I know of someone who's wedding was so expensive he couldn't afford to buy a house. :nono:

It seems the most expensive part of a wedding is the reception. It appears a small guest count under 150 was the trick for many of you.

As others have stated there are ways to cut costs and still have a very nice wedding. Decide what is important to you, set a budget and stick to it. Getting married during the off seasoni is less expensive than if you do a spring/summer wedding. You also may want to consider getting married on a Friday evening or Sunday afternoon. Most vendors are willing to give a discount because it's not on a typical wedding day like Saturday. My brother and his wife had an outdoor wedding and saved a ton of money on flowers because the flowers that had already been planted and bloomed served as their decorations. Consider doing heavy hor dourves rather than a sit down dinner. If you have an evening wedding you can do a candlelight ceremony and use candles instead of flowers. If you have bridesmaids you can choose the color black and allow them to pick out their own dresses that way they can choose how much they want to pay and it will be a dress they can wear again. Centerpieces and invitations are easy to do yourself. You can buy supplies from places such as Michael's or other craft stores. I don't know if this is something that is very popular with photographers, but my brother's photographer took pictures, gave them the pictures on a CD and signed a release that allows them to print out the pictures they want themselves and create their own wedding album. As far as a dress, there are so many options....David's Bridal has a $99 sale every three months and often times boutiques have a clearance rack. You can use a family member's or dear friend's veil.... There are so many options. There is no need to spend a lot of money on a wedding it you don't want to.

It seems the most expensive part of a wedding is the reception. It appears a small guest count under 150 was the trick for many of you.
I think the biggest expense is the alcohol that a lot of people think is mandatory. At a big wedding the alcohol bill is almost equal to the food bill.

I think the biggest expense is the alcohol that a lot of people think is mandatory. At a big wedding the alcohol bill is almost equal to the food bill.

Really!!!! Makes sense we you think about it. I think alcohol should be supplied by the couple maybe just limit it to beer and wine.

Really!!!! Makes sense we you think about it. I think alcohol should be supplied by the couple maybe just limit it to beer and wine.
Oh yes, alcohol should be be supplied by the host, me no likey cash bars at weddings (whole nother subject), but when I mention to people, "Yo peep this, you really don't have to have alcohol at your wedding.) You would think I said something about their momma. To keep cost down, I would say alcohol should be the first to go. You can have 150 people who drink as much as 250 and have a serious bill. Or have 250, no alcohol and the cost will still be lower than 150 with alcohol.

I have folks, who can drink you under that table is the spirits are free, but will babysit a glass all night if they have to pay for it. Myself included, I am not even going to lie.

Alcohol is pretty huge...and I don't drink lol but want a open bar for the guests. I love saving money. Regardless of income I will always look for the cheapest way to do something with the most luxe look: for instance buying clothes on guilt.com, haute look, or at century 21 in newyork for 80 percent off (designer stuff) just because why should I pay more if I know the fit of that particular designer and there's nothing wrong with the clothes....so darn straight I'm doing the same for my wedding.

I decided on destination wedding because of that. We originally thought of jamaica but then I realized the expense of guests to fly there ...it's not a lot, but I wanted it to be as cheap for guests as possible but still pick as luxurious a resort as possible(plus there is a monopoly on fireworks so they charge a ridiculous price), so changed to Riviera Maya (Mexican Riviera) and karishma resorts because it's 20 min from cancun and flights to cancun from america are super cheap, and still a five star resort with excellent ratings (but they discount group rates so everyone can save a ton and still have fun). BUT flights are also direct, and pretty fast from the U.S. That way it's a win win and the costs can stay low for everyone including flights. Plus some resorts have discounted group rates so more savings can be passed on to guests. My guests were going to have to travel anyways (as they're all over the us)..they'd have to fly to see us, stay in a hotel anyways. So why not get a change of scenery too? Plus I get things I want like the backdrop of the ocean w/o being on the sand (ah the libra in me lol!), they have this roof top area with panoramic views, to hold the wedding ceremony. It's quite beautiful.

Also many options from indoors, to outside for your wedding.

Forgot to add that places like bestdestinationwedding.com can really help with that as they have pics, and recommendations of places, and even local people that speak english (if you dont' speak the language)...kinda like lhcf but for destiantion weddings (so the recommendations are coming from people not resorts). ANd they cover most destination wedding places from Aruba to mexico to Hawaii, etc.

For instance everything (if you pick a resort) is one tenth the cost of us. For instance fireworks are $1,000 instead of $10,000 or more for ex...so why would I pay more? BUT I still want a bad a$% wedding cause why not if I can have it? Also full open bar in america can be as little as $8000 up to $15,000 dollars whereas in mexico it's $10-$15 per person. I mean it can't be beat. AND still it's on a resort so no worries about "clean water" etc, and the guests can have plenty of things to do (for free included with their stay like water skiiing, rock climbing, etc) so that they feel like they got the most out of the weekend.

You might want to consider a destination wedding to cut expenses. They're surprisingly cheaper than weddings in the u.s and I've looked everywhere for Jamaica, to st.lucia,to dominican republic, before settling on riviera maya.

Last edited:
Forgot to add some of the resorts have packages where you can have a simple ceremony with choice of decorations so that you can have your nice simple wedding (I myself opted for more stuff outside the resort but it depends on what you want to spend.)

We had an open bar at our wedding. We basically limited it to certain drinks that we knew our family/friends liked. I reserved some top shelf drinks for certain people only and let those people know their favorite drink was available. That made them feel special :) Also we had the option to make a deposit and when that money ran out someone would let us know and we could decide to pay more to keep the bar open or have them do a last call. We ended up not spending very much because a lot of our guests were older church folk who didn't drink. Plus not everyone had access to the good stuff. It worked out well.

Forgot to add some of the resorts have packages where you can have a simple ceremony with choice of decorations so that you can have your nice simple wedding (I myself opted for more stuff outside the resort but it depends on what you want to spend.)
I did that the first time around and loved it.

Back