Making your HUSBAND take annual STD tests?

How did all std's start anyway? I got tested before I was even sexually active and I will continue to do so. Who knows what can develop that could potentially harm my FH or my fertility and health.

Ha! I did this too. My campus was sponsoring HIV testing so I got tested. Just so when I did start having sex, I wouldn't feel the "stigma" or fear. :yep:

I see no problem with this. Like someone stated better safe than sorry. It's nice to say you know your mate doesn't cheat but you really never know. I rather test then keep my mouth shut and end up with something

Unless people are using condoms EVERY time they have sex, a blood/HIV test is providing little more than a false sense of security. Once that test comes back positive, it's already too late. And, if a woman really feels like she could have an STD, she owes it to her husband to protect him.

I'm confused by this comment.

futureapl,

Yes, LaBelleLL. I also live in South Africa where the HIV rate is especially high. If I am to date (always use protection) and marry within my culture/surroundings I would insist on it. And if outside, I would still request (bc I'm scarred for life).

I agree that testing every quarter/year is a false sense of security as a friend of my mothers did it and she still died of AIDS that was contracted from her husband. I'd still like to do it, though :look:

It was dormant for years, meaning she showed no sign of symptoms.

Yep I'm paranoid about that. I get tested every year regardless if it was a dry year or not. :lol:

I think of those swabs and bloodwork for lab tests as part of the annual exam and expect an SO to do the same. Then if he becomes DH, keep doing it. I have absolutely no fear or expectation that anyone is cheating. If I felt like that, I'd be alone in a heartbeat.

So I think it's more that both partners are aware of their health status. If a wife requires that her husband alone do it, then yea they probably have some other issues to address.

its included in your physical...so i dont have to make dh its already included in his yrly physical..if he ever refused it than that would be an issue

some wives should ask their dh's to--some wives know what kind of man their dealing with....if your husband is that type than you know what it is and should know his status

I can see both sides. I wonder if there's any effect on behavior from being asked to be tested yearly?

Do people think a husband would be more or less likely to cheat? More or less likely to use a condom?

Honestly, I could see that going both ways too....some people rise to the occasion when they feel they are being labeled a certain way if you know what I mean.

Why go that far. Just make him give blood. STDs are an automatic 1year deferral. You can give every 2 months, so you'd know something was up immediately. Especially if you have your appointments on the same day.

An HIV test can give a false negative for months. So if you don't trust your spouse the test alone may not save you.

Back