Maintaining Your Hair While Working Out

Country gal

I sweated out my blow out.:perplexed I worked out with my trainer tonight and sweated it out. How do you maintain your hair while working out?

It depends on my hairstyle. I work out at least 4 times a week, 3 days are mandatory because of my job. If it's work related I normally pin it up, wear it in a bun, or a pony tail, if it's a personal work out... I wrap or pin it up and wear a silk scarf.

I sweat a lot. I put it up in a clip. I see some ladies at the gym with scarves on. The roots are puffy again. My hair doesn't fall down in place like before. I will need to heat the roots again.

I sweat a lot. I put it up in a clip. I see some ladies at the gym with scarves on. The roots are puffy again. My hair doesn't fall down in place like before. I will need to heat the roots again.
Nooooooo, don't use heat on hair after working out :nono: can you tie a pretty scarf around your edges and let the back hang down, or do that and make a cute bun.

When I get some more length I'm getting a curly UPA clip to put on, slick my hair back with a Denman brush and some IC gel and call it a day!

when i start working out i am going to wrap my hair with a scarf like i do at night. because i wear my hair down like everyday so puffy roots are not ok

If it's long enough, work out in a pony (slightly tightly pulled). For added help put a head scarf around the head portion. Also, if you use setting lotion when doing your hair and put it on the roots also it will not puff up as much.:yep:

Sorry to hijack but Atlanta your nails in your siggy are georgeous!!:grin::grin::grin:
OT - - Thank you!! come on over to the Polish thread in the OT forum!! There is a lot going on over there. I'm wearing Sally Hansen Sultry Fuchsia tonight :spinning: new spring color

Okay back On Topic :yep:

I wish I could help you. This is one reason I do not straighten my hair, all that work to just let it dissapear in less than 30 minutes.

I started working out in January and let me tell you girls..... Nothing Works !!!!!! The scarves, pinning up, ponytails, wrapping doesn't work. I work out at the end of the week, Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sun. I wash on Sunday and I can only be cute Mon-Wed. lol.

This has always been my problem, so I only wear my hair out once or twice a week. The rest of the time it is up in a pony or in an octopus clip. Once I'm two months post relaxer, my hair is ALWAYS up and I only let it out for a few minutes post work out to air out my scalp. Then up it goes with plenty of moisturizer on my ends to taim the post workout frizzies.

HTH.

only thing i can think of is a braid out style.. like if u sweat it out u can put it into a pony tail rinse your hair at home and do the braid oout over... hth

I work out everyday only rest on Sunday. I co-wash every other day anyhow. So my hair is always in a bun or curly updo.

I'm relaxed so I just pin my hair up, and however it looks afterwards has always been a secondary concern, with my physical health being primary. My hair is still straight after I workout, but now that I have began cowashing, I just wash the sweat out at night and do a braidout. The only time my exercising interferes with my hair is when I want to wear a curly rollerset. Now that the warmer weather is here, I find that if I workout outdoors I don't work up as much of a sweat as I would in the gym. So you may want to consider working out outdoors after 6pm, when the sun isn't high.

I'll slap on a wig in a minute.

The thing is don't pay to get your hair done when you know you will be working out the same week.

The other thing is that it's more important that we work out regularly. You can't get your body right in 3 hours but you can get your hair right in 3 hours so if your hair has to look so-so most days but you are getting healthy and in shape, it's a small price to pay in my opinion.

I get glammed up on the weekends, or during the week I put on a lace front, instant glam.

ETA - check out the curly UPA clips, they are the bomb too!!

For the weeks I pay to get my hair done is when it is a problem. I workout during the week and rest on Sundays. Sunday ends up being the hair washing day.

I workout five times a week early in the morning.

I co wash during the week, twist my hair in the back and pin it up. I'm currently on a phony pony hiatus!

I rollerset Sat. morning and only wear my hair out on the weekends.

My hair is very healthy and beautiful when I wear it out...but boring most of the week :look:

I wrapped my hair Sunday night and wanted to wear it down Monday (so my new coworkers would know that I had hair). I was afraid all while i was exercising that i would sweat it out. I read on the boards that if your hair gets wet, you should just leave the scarf on and let it mostly dry. This worked, but I AM two weeks post so it's easy now.

Last edited:
Unless you wear a protective style, you can't...At least I can't.I work out six days a week, and cowash nearly after every workout. If I don't feel like messing w/ my hair I twist it up or put in some quick cornrows during my workouts. Otherwise, my hair is a hot sweaty mess:wallbash:

Last edited:
I don't wear my hair straight that often but when I do, I try to keep major sweat to a minimum. For that first week while it's straight and bouncy, I eat less and WALK more. Walking becomes the exercise activity for that week. I also will keep a scarf in my purse and a scrunchie for the rainy days. This method works very well for me. Now the summer humidity is a WHOLE diff conversation. :look:

But if I do get caught in a down pour or end up sweating to point my hair starts to swell, I use it as an opporutnity to do more elongated versions of my natural styles. Braid and twist out styles looks extra yummy and full on stretched out hair. If I were you tonight I would go home and and glaze my fingertips with a styling product like: MJ curly meringue or buttercream or even some IC Fantasia mixed with an essential oil and put in four big braids and seal the ends w/oil and tie it up with a scarf. You should have a beautiful soft wavy straight look in the am.

HTH

I sweated out my blow out.:perplexed I worked out with my trainer tonight and sweated it out. How do you maintain your hair while working out?

When I work out, I wear my hair in a wash n go or bun Mon-Thur, and only workout on those days and then I might press it on the weekend. Also, if I get a salon press, I usually will do strength training for about a week, light walking, and continue on the next week with my hardcore cardio. It works for me because in the first week I don't sweat that much doing strength training as much as I do with cardio.

When I work out, I wear my hair in a wash n go or bun Mon-Thur, and only workout on those days and then I might press it on the weekend. Also, if I get a salon press, I usually will do strength training for about a week, light walking, and continue on the next week with my hardcore cardio. It works for me because in the first week I don't sweat that much doing strength training as much as I do with cardio.

I don't wear my hair straight that often but when I do, I try to keep major sweat to a minimum. For that first week while it's straight and bouncy, I eat less and WALK more. Walking becomes the exercise activity for that week. I also will keep a scarf in my purse and a scrunchie for the rainy days. This method works very well for me. Now the summer humidity is a WHOLE diff conversation. :look:

But if I do get caught in a down pour or end up sweating to point my hair starts to swell, I use it as an opporutnity to do more elongated versions of my natural styles. Braid and twist out styles looks extra yummy and full on stretched out hair. If I were you tonight I would go home and and glaze my fingertips with a styling product like: MJ curly meringue or buttercream or even some IC Fantasia mixed with an essential oil and put in four big braids and seal the ends w/oil and tie it up with a scarf. You should have a beautiful soft wavy straight look in the am.

HTH
This right here is some excellent super fantastic wonderful advice!!! I'm taking notes ladies!!! :clap:

Last edited:

I did strength training but was sweating up a storm.

I did strength training but was sweating up a storm.

Okay, you might be more prone to sweating. Okay, well maybe you can do light walking and working out with lighter weights. Do you have weights at home?? Maybe you can work out with them in front of a fan! I can work wonders at home with 10 pound weights!!!:o I do this sometime to keep the sweat at a minimal. Also, try and work on your abs during this off week.

I am natural and realize if I plan to work out especially cardio I do not try and have a blow out b/c it will not work.

daily co washing

Same here. I have long since given up on trying to have a whipped style last and still have a fierce body. If I need my hair to look really good then I will do it but I know it will be gone the next day. I have just accepted that.

Last edited:
When I work out everyday my hair says wet. I will wet bun, wet french twist, single braids and pigtail buns, or a wash n go ponytail. I let the hair down on the drive home to dry out and start over in the am.

Now what you could do, is work out after work in the evening, wash/cowash, and airdry over night in a braid out or something.

Back