How Do Naturals Keep Their Hair Straight?????

Country gal said:
I don't want to wear it straight all the time hence me going natural. I am not a straight hair feen. Since I am wearing it straight this week, I don't want to apply heat everyday I wear it out to make it flatten out. This is the first time in 2 years that I have worn it straight. I don't feel that I need to wear a perm to achieve a straight look. There are plenty of naturals on this board that straighten their hair without perms.

Do you wear your natural hair straight or is it perm? I am really looking for responses from folks that deal with natural hair or have worn their natural hair straight. Thanks.

Hey you Happy New Year. CG the first time or two that you straighten your hair may revert a lil faster. I'm wearing my hair straight right now also and have been perserving it for over a week now. Natural or texturized the first time I straightened it didn't last that long.

Some people sweat more than others and some folks simply have light poofy soft hair no matter how much heat is applied.

This time I have regime:
I keep my hair moisturized with De Sharme hair creme daily, apply dudleys creme to my edges then brush, pin up in a flattened bun and tie it down with a silk scarf.
It usually doesn't require additional heat unless I sweat from some type of activity.

jengrady said:
this was my original point. We can't not sweat or sit on the sidelines. Stuff with our hair is the reason in my opinion why we aren't more active overall. Natural hair is what it is. When it's moist, it gets curly. You either accept that or straighten it on a perm basis.

I have to disagree with you on this. I think that for people who use their hair as an "excuse" not to work out are being lazy alot of the time (hey, I'll admit it--I've done it before). So it's the laziness holding alot of people back, not necessarily their hair. If they didn't run the risk of sweatin out their hair they'd probably have some other excuse-it's too hot, I'm tired, it hurts my legs to run, etc etc etc.

Just because you press your hair temporarily does not imply you "are not" accepting your natural hair, in my opinion. I mean, I see relaxed women wear afro puff "phony ponies". Is it best those women cut off all their relaxed hair and go natural if they wanna sport a "natural looking style" for a few days? Sometimes people just want a change for the moment and it's not that serious.

I know I like variety in my life and I feel that FOR ME, being natural affords me that option. I can wear my kinks/curls one day, and go straight another. I love versatility.

LynnieB said:
CG girl i just had a brainstorm last night........

you know when my new growth holds the best (long as it's not hurricaning outside hehe)?

when it starts to gets dirty - yea lawdy D.I.R.T.Y like dirty diana.

ok, after a flatironning session my hair is fluffy and swangin but, it's really sensitive to moisture aka fog, mist, spitting rain, etc.

but (if i plan to rock it for a full 2 weeks) - after 4 or 5 days into it, my hair really becomes more moisture resistance as the dirt layers build up!!

sound crazy don't it? but it's true.

mind you now, don't try to be combing and brushing that stuff like a fresh flatiron. keep it simple, for the most part, keep the manipulation down and gentle but it can last for more than an hour.

to maintain it, it just takes some pincurls over night and poof goes bye-bye. no, it won't be 100% straight like that first flatironing session but, it won't do the electric puff soon as i hit a mist.

i'm soo hestitant to say let the dirt build up on a hair board but, try it if you're keeping that straight look for more than a couple days. :D

This is soooo true!! My hair is natural and it behaves the same way. After a fresh shampoo and flat iron my hair will revert if I so much as look at the rain outside:lol: but after it gets old, like almost a week, I can practically go out in a very light mist and not worry about reversion. Weird huh. When I flat iron I am not a frequent shampoo'er so my hair is always "dirty" :lachen: and I have no problems w/ reversion.

zzirvingj said:
Sometimes people just want a change for the moment and it's not that serious.

I know I like variety in my life and I feel that FOR ME, being natural affords me that option. I can wear my kinks/curls one day, and go straight another. I love versatility.

ITA with this. I am transitioning because I want to be able to wear my hair in curly styles as well as straight styles on occasion. Straightening my hair permanently would defeat the purpose of what I am trying to accomplish. I really needed this info so thanks CG for asking this question and everyone else for all of the positive suggestions.

Hareitiz said:
ITA with this. I am transitioning because I want to be able to wear my hair in curly styles as well as straight styles on occasion. Straightening my hair permanently would defeat the purpose of what I am trying to accomplish. I really needed this info so thanks CG for asking this question and everyone else for all of the positive suggestions.

Your welcome. I learned a lot too.

SVT said:
Thanks. It grew some but I cut it also because I can't keep healthy ends.

I'm still natural. I'll add more info to my pic.

Man, your hair is so pretty and thick. It must be long.
I am glad I started this thread because I am seeing so beautiful natural heads.

Happy New Year to you too, Firecracker. I called you over the weekend.

Country gal said:
Happy New Year to you too, Firecracker. I called you over the weekend.

I got your message chica. I am going to call you this weekend.
I wanted to tell you that I prefer the straighten comb over the flat iron too. My texturizered hair laughed at that perm:lachen:. I tell ya!

I know your hair is a good length straightened out and full too huh?

zzirvingj said:
I have to disagree with you on this. I think that for people who use their hair as an "excuse" not to work out are being lazy alot of the time (hey, I'll admit it--I've done it before). So it's the laziness holding alot of people back, not necessarily their hair. If they didn't run the risk of sweatin out their hair they'd probably have some other excuse-it's too hot, I'm tired, it hurts my legs to run, etc etc etc.

Just because you press your hair temporarily does not imply you "are not" accepting your natural hair, in my opinion. I mean, I see relaxed women wear afro puff "phony ponies". Is it best those women cut off all their relaxed hair and go natural if they wanna sport a "natural looking style" for a few days? Sometimes people just want a change for the moment and it's not that serious.

I totally agree with this! :up:

firecracker said:
I got your message chica. I am going to call you this weekend.
I wanted to tell you that I prefer the straighten comb over the flat iron too. My texturizered hair laughed at that perm:lachen:. I tell ya!

I know your hair is a good length straightened out and full too huh?

:lol: I remember you saying that. I learned first hand that my hair was not having it. It was laughing at me too.

Back