How Do Naturals Keep Their Hair Straight?????

Country gal said:
I am having a hard time keeping my hair straight without it getting all thick and puffy. When I put heat on it, it turns out well. Last night I sweated it out dancing. Now it is all puffy but I don't want to keep putting heat on it. What do you do to keep natural hair straight without constantly putting heat on it. I tried wrapping it but it didn't work very well.
same here, I straighted it yesterday, but it was raining and windy, so my hair ended up al puffy and stuff, not a good sight. I've seen some pics of some ladies with natural hair who straight it and really get that sleek look, how do they do it? (desperate!!!)

I see plenty of naturals on this sight with really smooth ends when they straighten their hair. I just wanted to know the secret. I haven't used the Chi product but I may have to try it. It has been recommended often on this board.

Mostly, I just try not to sweat, especially at night when sleeping. I wear a scarf and a shower cap and also make sure my scarf is really secure at night. In the winter, I can go two weeks. In the summer, it seems only about 4 days or so.

If you are natural and want straight hair,

any type of moisture is your enemy.

This includes moisture from sweat, mist, fog, rain,etc.

How your hair reacts to it depends a lot on your hair type, and the overall health of your hair.

When I was natural, even my sweat would cause a change in my hair.
If you go dancing, expect to sweat. Expect to have poufy hair. You can flat iron and press all you want, you will stilll have puffs. There are some products out there (anti humectants) that may help or at least keep it from going back so fast.
No, you don't have to get a relaxer, but you have to realize what it takes to keep those locs straight if you are natural.

Taij said:
If you are natural and want straight hair,

any type of moisture is your enemy.

This includes moisture from sweat, mist, fog, rain,etc.

How your hair reacts to it depends a lot on your hair type, and the overall health of your hair.

When I was natural, even my sweat would cause a change in my hair.
If you go dancing, expect to sweat. Expect to have poufy hair. You can flat iron and press all you want, you will stilll have puffs. There are some products out there (anti humectants) that may help or at least keep it from going back so fast.
No, you don't have to get a relaxer, but you have to realize what it takes to keep those locs straight if you are natural.

Exactly! Why even bother wearing it straight if you know you're going to be sweating up a storm? I make sure to wear a hat when I'm outside and it's humid or raining, I wear a shower cap in the shower, I try to wrap it up if I'm working out, etc. If I do all those things it will look great for a while. Otherwise it's game over!

isobell said:
:confused: no offense but this is why women will slap a relaxer on their head instead of first exploring all the options available with natural hair...the only options are not relaxer or only wear it curly, there's an array of products and techniques out there that WE are all still learning about to make OUR hair work for us, whether it be relaxed or natural or in between. I'm perplexed that you insist she likes straight hair and tell her to just relax it when she's been natural for a good while and she's asking us how to keep her press from poofing?

the whole point of the board is for hair health. We want to grow our hair long. The techniques and the manipulation are part of the reason why women of color in my opinion suffer from hair loss. It's a lot of manipulation of hair in its natural state to go straight. It will involve some chemical or heat that will break down the hair shaft.

Why do that when you can just texturize which will make it easier to make a straight style or relax. Now I see that the OP pefers the natural state of her hair but only wants to do the straight style on ocassion. I still think texturizers are best in this regard. There's nothing wrong with them.

PhonyBaloney500 said:
Exactly! Why even bother wearing it straight if you know you're going to be sweating up a storm? I make sure to wear a hat when I'm outside and it's humid or raining, I wear a shower cap in the shower, I try to wrap it up if I'm working out, etc. If I do all those things it will look great for a while. Otherwise it's game over!

this was my original point. We can't not sweat or sit on the sidelines. Stuff with our hair is the reason in my opinion why we aren't more active overall. Natural hair is what it is. When it's moist, it gets curly. You either accept that or straighten it on a perm basis.

jengrady said:
the whole point of the board is for hair health. We want to grow our hair long. The techniques and the manipulation are part of the reason why women of color in my opinion suffer from hair loss. It's a lot of manipulation of hair in its natural state to go straight. It will involve some chemical or heat that will break down the hair shaft.

Why do that when you can just texturize which will make it easier to make a straight style or relax. Now I see that the OP pefers the natural state of her hair but only wants to do the straight style on ocassion. I still think texturizers are best in this regard. There's nothing wrong with them.

Are texturizers not a chemical? :perplexed I am confused by your logic and am trying to understand...

*Bre~Bre* said:
Are texturizers not a chemical? :perplexed I am confused by your logic and am trying to understand...

of course texurizers are a chemical. What's not to understand about that? And relaxers, perms, texturizers, whatever do breakdown the natural hair shaft, and using them is a CHOICE. There are plenty of people on this board that make that choice and do what it takes to maintain their hair in a healthy manner in that state.

Basically you want straight and maintain the straight style despite sweat or moisture, you only really have a single choice that will minimize manipulation and thus breakage and that's some sort of chemical application because even heat will only do it on a very temp basis. And it requires a lot of mainpulation. Why go there and sacrfice your whole head of hair.

I have to respectfully disagree with you as your logic makes no sense to me. Why would texturizing ones hair be a better solution than straightening it via flatiron a few times a year? So one one hand you have someone applying a chemical that I assume would need to be done a few times a year to keep it up as opposed to just using heat sparingly which is not permanent.
jengrady said:
of course texurizers are a chemical. What's not to understand about that? And relaxers, perms, texturizers, whatever do breakdown the natural hair shaft, and using them is a CHOICE. There are plenty of people on this board that make that choice and do what it takes to maintain their hair in a healthy manner in that state.

Basically you want straight and maintain the straight style despite sweat or moisture, you only really have a single choice that will minimize manipulation and thus breakage and that's some sort of chemical application because even heat will only do it on a very temp basis. And it requires a lot of mainpulation. Why go there and sacrfice your whole head of hair.

jengrady said:

Your logic makes absoulutely NO sense. The OP is asking for advice to keep her hair from reverting for a while. Texturizing is going to chemically alter the hair permanently, which is not what the OP is intending to do. Flat ironing the hair on very rare occasions is not tantamount to the damage of a texturizer or relaxer :ohwell:

*Bre~Bre* said:
I have to respectfully disagree with you as your logic makes no sense to me. Why would texturizing ones hair be a better solution than straightening it via flatiron a few times a year? So one one hand you have someone applying a chemical that I assume would need to be done a few times a year to keep it up as opposed to just using heat sparingly which is not permanent.

:lol: We were basically posting the same thoughts at the same time.

Well, I am a natural and do straighten my hair with heat and I have to say that I'm happy that I'm able to have both options. I don't feel that any chemical added to my hair will make it "healthier" or much more easier to manage...this is one of the reasons why I chose to go natural.

When I straighten my hair, I make sure that I put heat protector before I blow dry, but then on each section of hair that I flatiron or curl, I put a small amount of protector before I place the iron on my hair. I make sure it goes from the root of my hair to the ends. I rub it in good and then proceed to applying heat. My hair comes out really straight.

I do wrap it every night after applying EQ Mango butter on my ends, and then a little jojoba oil and then my satin scarf. It can stay straight for 2 weeks this way and then I wash and deep condition all over again.

To the OP, I think that once you get the hang of it, it will work out for you...just like it does for us when we find out what our regemin for our hair is...it always work out.

Blessings...:p

jengrady said:

This is simply not true. There is no 'single choice' :confused:
And the chemicals have to reapplied every few months also, with the added risk of overlapping & overprocessing thus increasing damage. And there are heat protectants on the market that help reduce the damage when the hair is straightened with heat. I'm not advocating the use of frequent heat, but if one wants to use heat that is a choice/option.

Last edited:
I not a natural, but used to be and my daughter is now. For myself, even thought I am relaxed, moisture, sweating, humidity, the shower all revert my hair. I just try to stay away or wear curls. As for my daughter, I dont straighten her hair often, but when I do for pictures for school or recital, I have to use Mizani pressing/curling wax. This works pretty good considering her hair has, on more than one occasion, started to revert before I could even finished the whole head:eek:. So maybe try straightening it and then curling it with a wax. Hope this info helps.

*Bre~Bre* said:

U made me spit my water out..lol

amr501 said:
Your logic makes absoulutely NO sense. The OP is asking for advice to keep her hair from reverting for a while. Texturizing is going to chemically alter the hair permanently, which is not what the OP is intending to do. Flat ironing the hair on very rare occasions is not tantamount to the damage of a texturizer or relaxer :ohwell:

I believe your logic makes no sense at all. As for one the poster asked how to get her natural hair which she straighten with heat to not revert as quick. So your solution is flatironing? In order to keep her hair which is natural from doing what its designed by God to do, which is curl at moisture, as long as she had the straight style she would have to repeatedly flatiron the hair to keep it that way using your method. Seems like she wanted straight hair for a longer period without poofing. It's gonna poof no matter what especially if your sweat in your head. And I don't care what humectress you use, hair dress, etc...flat ironing over time causes severe dryness and thinning, breakage and sometimes will perm revert the hair.

Plenty of naturals with a healthy hair regime flat iron ONCE and not multiple times when their hair "goes back" Poofing is apart of the deal. Texturizing keeps a straighter look longer without losing all of the natural curl thus subjecting the hair to less manuplation to go straight.

Because you don't agree doesn't mean it doesn't make any sense. To you perhaps not. But for me, I've grown my hair natural mid back from TWA five different times in my life it makes plenty sense.

Last edited:
I basically wanted to know the steps other naturals have successfully completed when flatironing their natural hair. I know frequent heat is damaging to the hair therefore I don't do it often. I know there will be some occasions in which I want a style change. I want to minimize using a lot of heat by getting it right the first time.

I don't do perms so a texturizer is out of the question. It is basically a perm that is not left on for very long. I don't want to worry about the overlapping.

Thanks to the ladies that gave really great advice. I tried the ponytail last night so my hair is not as puffy.

Give me a break already. I have been natural now for over two years. I forgot about the moisture factor. :lol:

no offense. Just offering more simple options as well to the discussion. on the LHCF there is a tendency to overdo it a bit, IMO. My hair grows the longest when I don't do anything to it but braid it up. No vitamins, no nothing. Go figure...

jengrady said:
no offense. Just offering more simple options as well to the discussion. on the LHCF there is a tendency to overdo it a bit, IMO. My hair grows the longest when I don't do anything to it but braid it up. No vitamins, no nothing. Go figure...

hmmm a tendency to over do it ay!?! to be honest with you i dont why you would say that?:computer: here at LHCF there is room for all the ladies who 'over do it' AND 'under do it' as long as they show respect for each other. :cool:

Ok...I think this has gone completly opposite of what the original OP asked and its starting to become a bit much.

Whether we straighten, or leave it natural...as long as there is a way to keep it healthy in the process, its all good. We want our hair long and pretty and if we "Over do it", to get there then so be it!

Let us at LCHF, "Over do it" by continually helping one another as we have done so well in the past for 2007.

Blessings!!!:p

jengrady said:
on the LHCF there is a tendency to overdo it a bit, IMO. My hair grows the longest when I don't do anything to it but braid it up. No vitamins, no nothing. Go figure...

:confused:

That may work for you and your hair, but there are people on this board with hair that has thrived from taking vitamins, protective styling, stretching relaxers or ditching chemicals all together. Everyone must figure out what works best for them and that may not be the same thing for each individual. I think the beauty of this board is that women with so many different hair textures and methods of growing/styling hair can come together and bounce ideas off each other.

Last edited:
SeatownSista said:
:confused:

That may work for you and your hair, but there are people on this board with hair that has thrived from taking vitamins, protective styling, stretching relaxers or ditching chemicals all together. Everyone must figure out what works best for them and that may not be the same thing for each individual. I think the beauty of this board is that women with so many different hair textures and methods of growing/styling hair can come together and bounce ideas off each other.

Girl....your hair is so pretty!!! I love the picture in your siggy...you gave me a great idea for my hair :lol: thanks....!

CG girl i just had a brainstorm last night........

you know when my new growth holds the best (long as it's not hurricaning outside hehe)?

when it starts to gets dirty - yea lawdy D.I.R.T.Y like dirty diana.

ok, after a flatironning session my hair is fluffy and swangin but, it's really sensitive to moisture aka fog, mist, spitting rain, etc.

but (if i plan to rock it for a full 2 weeks) - after 4 or 5 days into it, my hair really becomes more moisture resistance as the dirt layers build up!!

sound crazy don't it? but it's true.

mind you now, don't try to be combing and brushing that stuff like a fresh flatiron. keep it simple, for the most part, keep the manipulation down and gentle but it can last for more than an hour.

to maintain it, it just takes some pincurls over night and poof goes bye-bye. no, it won't be 100% straight like that first flatironing session but, it won't do the electric puff soon as i hit a mist.

i'm soo hestitant to say let the dirt build up on a hair board but, try it if you're keeping that straight look for more than a couple days. :D

LynnieB said:
CG girl i just had a brainstorm last night........

you know when my new growth holds the best (long as it's not hurricaning outside hehe)?

when it starts to gets dirty - yea lawdy D.I.R.T.Y like dirty diana.

ok, after a flatironning session my hair is fluffy and swangin but, it's really sensitive to moisture aka fog, mist, spitting rain, etc.

but (if i plan to rock it for a full 2 weeks) - after 4 or 5 days into it, my hair really becomes more moisture resistance as the dirt layers build up!!

sound crazy don't it? but it's true.

mind you now, don't try to be combing and brushing that stuff like a fresh flatiron. keep it simple, for the most part, keep the manipulation down and gentle but it can last for more than an hour.

to maintain it, it just takes some pincurls over night and poof goes bye-bye. no, it won't be 100% straight like that first flatironing session but, it won't do the electric puff soon as i hit a mist.

i'm soo hestitant to say let the dirt build up on a hair board but, try it if you're keeping that straight look for more than a couple days. :D
2funny but its a v.good idea!

The best I've been able to do is to keep my hair wrapped with a silk scarf and choose curly/wavy styles to blend the textures together and keep my scalp cool. Other than that, I go over the poofy parts again with an iron.

SVT- Your hair has really grown. It is so full now. Are you still natural?

LynnieB- I think you have a point. It seems a couple of days into it, it has more movement and is not stiff as when I first iron it.

Jen- I guess everyone needs to do what works for them in the quest for long and healthy hair. My regimin has helped me to have thick and long hair (althought some may not consider it long).:lol: I am glad you found something that works for you.

Seatown sista- your hair looks really pretty in the picture.

Country gal said:
SVT- Your hair has really grown. It is so full now. Are you still natural?

Thanks. It grew some but I cut it also because I can't keep healthy ends.

I'm still natural. I'll add more info to my pic.

Wow, there are some great tips in this thread!

I'm really glad that CG already knows that she doesn't need a relaxer/texturizer (weak relaxer) to get her hair straight occasionally. I'm also glad that the advice to get a relaxer if you want your hair straight once in awhile wasn't told to someone new. I hate to think that a newbie would think her only option was a relaxer/texturizer....

Back