Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2024

What problem are you looking to resolve so you CAN have Luscious, Healthy Ends in 2024?

• Total voters
My hair brushed out with an old blow out using my revair. My ends look so much worse blown out imo. I’m not sure that all this is split ends since I have been s&d so much the past week. I go back and forth with just cutting but I kinda think a lot of it is “lead” hair. Or maybe it’s wishful thinking? It looks fine/ even when straightened
I’m deep conditioning and will rinse out once I’m off work.

IMG_5082.jpeg

@ScorpioLove
If you eyeball the ends when the hair is straight and don't see split ends, that means there aren't any. When you straighten you can see. If you have some white printer paper or a white paper towel, put that behind your hair under a bright light and look and see what you have. Perfectly evenly ends are for photographs and magazines. I personally wouldn't cut my hair when it is not completely straight, IF I was trying to get even ends. So, maybe keep an eye on your hair for the next 30 days, then cut after analysis and reflection if you still want to trim your hair.

I've been re-doing my braids every day for the last 3 or 4 days.

The hair from my roots down to halfway down my braid is moist and soft!
The last half of my hair from the ends up is crispy, bone dry! And on the SAME braid!
giphy.gif

The last half of my braids STAYS thirsty! At night I wet that last half, grease, seal and baggie it. Otherwise ''Velcro and Crisp'. That sounds like an elegant law firm, but as it relates to my hair it's SCREAMING,

giphy.gif

"Breakage and set-back!"

And We not having NONE of that!
giphy.gif

Off to wet these ends and give them some care to keep them moist and juicy for the long haul overnight!

Last edited:
@ScorpioLove
If you eyeball the ends when the hair is straight and don't see split ends, that means there aren't any. When you straighten you can see. If you have some white printer paper or a white paper towel, put that behind your hair under a bright light and look and see what you have. Perfectly evenly ends are for photographs and magazines. I personally wouldn't cut my hair when it is not completely straight, IF I was trying to get even ends. So, maybe keep an eye on your hair for the next 30 days, then cut after analysis and reflection if you still want to trim your hair.
I keep watching instagram videos of these hair cuts and they are chopping off so much length. But the results do look amazing. I am blow drying to avoid ssks since it seems when I don’t, I still have issues (even with a light relaxer). Once I do a relaxer correction for straighter hair, then maybe ssks will stop reappearing.

@Chicoro do you have hard water? Maybe the reason the half of your braid that you wet frequently feels dry is due to your water quality.

@GettingKinky

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

That is it!!!!!!! Hard water!!!!

giphy.gif

Me freeing my hair from breakage, looking for a ledge to stand on and a wall to press my back against for a dramatic effect to show my progress.

giphy.gif

Turn and flip hair, month 1 with no hard water.

giphy.gif

Turn and flip hair, month 12 with no hard water!
giphy.gif

I'm coming, ya'll...

giphy.gif

You all are helping me solve my hair mysteries little by little!
I'm coming out with some Set-Back FREE hair!!!!!

Hard water in France and why I’m doing something about it at my house

Before moving to France, I never paid attention when I’d hear people talking about hard water. We didn’t have hard water in my house growing up in NJ and I had zero personal experience …​

In France, and evidently NOT just in Paris, water is hard. It’s generally safe to drink but can cause some issues for your hair and skin and with your plumbing that range from an annoyance to something more serious. Hard water in Paris is a thing and it’s quite bad there too.

1717261299205.png

The lady who lives in Paris and wrote the article about hard water recommended this MALIBU C, among other things.

Ingredients:
Glucose, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Betaine.

How to use/Directions on site:
At least once a week: Shampoo, rinse and pour Hard Water crystals across wet palm. Rub hands together, adding water to dissolve crystals. Apply and scrunch throughout hair, then allow to remain on hair for up to 5 minutes. Rinse. Shampoo, rinse thoroughly. Apply conditioner,* then rinse.
*For damaged hair, Malibu C® Miracle Repair is recommended.
*when using with white or non-pigmented hair, shampoo an additional time to remove the crystalized vitamins from the hair. Malibu C Un-Do-Goo is recommended.

EDITED: Amount in packet is 5grams (packet is 4.00 dollars)

Last edited:
What I know:

Chicoro says: Fructose has five (5) hydroxyl groups and a ketone group. Glucoses has six (6) hydroxyl groups and an aldehyde. It's the hydroxyl groups that STRIP away the minerals from the hair.

Vitamin C, in the form of ascorbic acid and citric acid bind to and 'sweep away' the detached minerals.

I learned about using fructose for swimmer's hair to stop damage on hair from chlorinated pools, from a book written by Aubrey of Aubrey Organics. Years later, I discussed this with a world renowned scientist , who specialized in hair for over 40+ years, and he said the HYDROXYL groups strip away the minerals 'like fingers'.

I can make my own crystal mix for hard water!!!!!

Guess what?!!!

Common sugar is 50% glucose and 50% fructrose!!!!

• So all I have to do is mix down white sugar, ascorbic acid and citric acid and scrunch in hair or dissolve in water.
  • I can also use liquid corn syrup, which is pure fructose and mix that in hot water and rinse my hair with that, too.
  • I can also use maple syrup if I can't find corn syrup.

I can mix my own Malibu C Hard Water Crystals!!! And I will do it my next wash.

I've had this formula for years, but did not employ on my hair because I did not realize that one of the root causes of the dryness of my hair is due to the extreme hard water in France.!!!

@GettingKinky
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
giphy.gif

I didn't see what was RIGHT in FRONT of me all this time!
I didn't start to have all these hair breakage set-backs until I moved to France.

giphy.gif

Circus afro, polka dot, @GettingKinky helped me to connect the dots!!!!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Hey, I got it, I got it, I'm getting it, Heeeeyyyyy! Unh, unh, dance, bop to the left.

Last edited:
@Chicoro I’m so happy that I could play a small role in your next hair breakthrough.
What may have seemed like a [deceptively] simple question and observation by @GettingKinky, is grounded in deep knowledge and understanding about hair. And, familiarity with my processes and what I do to my hair regularly.

Let me share a little allegorical tidbit that illustrates the aforementioned point, more concretely:

A repairman is called to fix a broken appliance. He looks at it and then taps it. He then goes back to his truck and returns with a small piece of plastic. After the appliance is running and working, the repairman then hands the bill for $500 dollars to the customer.

Aghast, the customer asks," But that part couldn't be worth more than $25 dollars. Why are you charging me so much?"

The repairman says, " It's 25 for the part, and $475 for the knowledge and experience to know where to tap."

Thank you again, @GettingKinky ! I 'll let you know how the demineralization of my hair with fructose and vitamin c turns out. I appreciate you! Your observation and question were HUGE!

What may have seemed like a [deceptively] simple question and observation by @GettingKinky, is grounded in deep knowledge and understanding about hair. And, familiarity with my processes and what I do to my hair regularly.

Let me share a little allegorical tidbit that illustrates the aforementioned point, more concretely:

A repairman is called to fix a broken appliance. He looks at it and then taps it. He then goes back to his truck and returns with a small piece of plastic. After the appliance is running and working, the repairman then hands the bill for $500 dollars to the customer.

Aghast, the customer asks," But that part couldn't be worth more than $25 dollars. Why are you charging me so much?"

The repairman says, " It's 25 for the part, and $475 for the knowledge and experience to know where to tap."

Thank you again, @GettingKinky ! I 'll let you know how the demineralization of my hair with fructose and vitamin c turns out. I appreciate you! Your observation and question were HUGE!
It was because you are so detail oriented in your posts that I could even attempt to make this connection. YOU are the one who noticed that the lower half of your braids were the problem. And YOU are the one who mentioned in the same post that you wet/and seal the lower half nightly. YOU are the amazing, meticulous hair scientist I am just happy to witness your progression and hopeful that one day I have hair as long and beautiful as yours.

I've been mia with work and moving but I think I'm back on track now. I was supposed to take care of my ends in April but that is a long story. I finally got around to giving my hair some love. I air dried and then flat ironed with low heat with one pass. I took off at least 1/2 inch because it needed it. Now I have a good basis for the 2nd half of the year.

20240601_201924.jpg20240601_201951.jpg20240601_202017.jpg

I've been mia with work and moving but I think I'm back on track now. I was supposed to take care of my ends in April but that is a long story. I finally got around to giving my hair some love. I air dried and then flat ironed with low heat with one pass. I took off at least 1/2 inch because it needed it. Now I have a good basis for the 2nd half of the year.

View attachment 496625View attachment 496627View attachment 496629
Good to see you! Your hair is looking longer and fuller all around. The sides are dropping down closer to the length of the back.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I need to tread ever so lightly and cautiously because changing or modifying my process puts me, my hair, in the danger zone and could possibly put me back into that grow and break, lose length gains cycle, again.

giphy.gif

I'm NOT touching the my pre-poo process, or my clay washing process or my DIY protein leave-in process.

Here is the Step Change: Adding a Chelating Step (bolded are the changes)​
  • After I wash out my clay I am going to modify my conditioning process.​
  • Mix syrup in conditioner and put in hair. Can be used as a deep conditioner.
  • Rinse hair with warm water mixed with a little bit of vitamin c powder to deactivate or rinse away things like chlorine, among other things.
  • Continue to Do rest of regular process (DIY protein, moisturize, seal and protect per usual)​

Last edited:
Chelating Ingredients: to Remove Minerals from Hair, Minerals that Come from Hard Water.

Issue: Chronically dry ends, France has EXTREMELY Hard Water

Setbacks: Started happening when I moved to France, specifically BREAKAGE.

Realization: I have a process for chelating hair I have had for years, but only used it for swimming to de-activate and remove chlorine.

Pictured:
  • I already had the vitamin C powders (Ascorbic Acid and Sodium Ascorbate to help my melasma)
  • I had the Karo Syrup
  • This morning I bought:
    • Glucose Syrup
    • Glucose - Fructose Syrup

How I will use these:
After my clay wash and rinse, I will mix the 1 part syrup into 1 part conditioner and rub through hair.
Then, I will rinse with a bucket of water with about 2 to 4 tablespoons of vitamin C power.

Purpose:
to see if this helps the chronic dryness of the last half of my braids, my precious ends.
giphy.gif

Frequency:
Start with 1x per week.

Request:
Wish me luck!

Chelating Ingredients.jpeg

Last edited:
My hair brushed out with an old blow out using my revair. My ends look so much worse blown out imo. I’m not sure that all this is split ends since I have been s&d so much the past week. I go back and forth with just cutting but I kinda think a lot of it is “lead” hair. Or maybe it’s wishful thinking? It looks fine/ even when straightened
I’m deep conditioning and will rinse out once I’m off work.

View attachment 496603

Include feel in there as well. if you aren't experiencing hairs snagging on each other and aren't seeing a lot of broken ends in the shower or on the floor, I would go with lead hairs. It looks good to me. Your pic looks like regular blown out hair.

View attachment 496619

The lady who lives in Paris and wrote the article about hard water recommended this MALIBU C, among other things.

Ingredients:
Glucose, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Betaine.

How to use/Directions on site:
At least once a week: Shampoo, rinse and pour Hard Water crystals across wet palm. Rub hands together, adding water to dissolve crystals. Apply and scrunch throughout hair, then allow to remain on hair for up to 5 minutes. Rinse. Shampoo, rinse thoroughly. Apply conditioner,* then rinse.
*For damaged hair, Malibu C® Miracle Repair is recommended.
*when using with white or non-pigmented hair, shampoo an additional time to remove the crystalized vitamins from the hair. Malibu C Un-Do-Goo is recommended.

EDITED: Amount in packet is 5grams (packet is 4.00 dollars)
My curly stylist used this every time I had a visit. Not sure that it helps any but just to let you know they use it in the salons near me.

Chelating Ingredients: to Remove Minerals from Hair, Minerals that Come from Hard Water.

Issue: Chronically dry ends, France has EXTREMELY Hard Water

Setbacks: Started happening when I moved to France, specifically BREAKAGE.

Realization: I have a process for chelating hair I have had for years, but only used it for swimming to de-activate and remove chlorine.

Pictured:
  • I already had the vitamin C powders (Ascorbic Acid and Sodium Ascorbate to help my melasma)
  • I had the Karo Syrup
  • This morning I bought:
    • Glucose Syrup
    • Glucose - Fructose Syrup

How I will use these:
After my clay wash and rinse, I will mix the 1 part syrup into 1 part conditioner and rub through hair.
Then, I will rinse with a bucket of water with about 2 to 4 tablespoons of vitamin C power.

Purpose:
to see if this helps the chronic dryness of the last half of my braids, my precious ends.
giphy.gif

Frequency:
Start with 1x per week.

Request:
Wish me luck!

View attachment 496647
OK, I'm super late to the party and would not have been able to give you the advice that GettingKinky gave you. She really does pay attention and has a great memory, which saved my hair.

Before doing a lot, could you just buy a jug of bottled water, filtered, distilled, spring, etc. and try dipping your ends in it as you usually do to see how it works. Of course, you would need to start with a clean slate first? Just though it might be worth a try.

OK, I'm super late to the party and would not have been able to give you the advice that GettingKinky gave you. She really does pay attention and has a great memory, which saved my hair.

Before doing a lot, could you just buy a jug of bottled water, filtered, distilled, spring, etc. and try dipping your ends in it as you usually do to see how it works. Of course, you would need to start with a clean slate first? Just though it might be worth a try.
Good suggestion!

They don’t have filtered water at my local store. They do have bottled drinking water, though. I can’t even find ice in the grocery store here in my French town.

What I can do @faithVA is just start with one braid! That can be as a test.

I can't use a brush.
I don't use a comb.
I don't use shampoo.
Now, I know I can't use the water.

I feel like Adam Ant.

adam.jpeg

What do I do with my hair? Gosh, I don't know.

giphy.gif

The LHCF Lady Detectives are in the House!!!!

giphy.gif

This situation has been Amazingly Eye Opening!!! I need to go sit down and take this all in.

Last edited:
I have tried using distilled water because I think in the long run it would be the best, but I don't think that

ayurvedic herbs or clay + natural hair + long or dense hair

works with this method. I've seen some looser no-poo naturals elsewhere on the interwebs having great results with distilled water, but I think that our inability to use a brush (you and I) and even a comb (you and I) make some of the alternatives possible. I'm still trying to find a thinking cap that fits for this one. I refuse to believe that it can't be done. It might take me another couple of years to figure it out...but I not ready to give up, yet.

I have tried using distilled water because I think in the long run it would be the best, but I don't think that

ayurvedic herbs or clay + natural hair + long or dense hair

works with this method. I've seen some looser no-poo naturals elsewhere on the interwebs having great results with distilled water, but I think that our inability to use a brush (you and I) and even a comb (you and I) make some of the alternatives possible. I'm still trying to find a thinking cap that fits for this one. I refuse to believe that it can't be done. It might take me another couple of years to figure it out...but I not ready to give up, yet.
This is why I stay saying, ‘No, Afro textured hair/ hair is not rocket science. It’s FAR more complex.’

Back