Long Term Transitioners how did you do it?

Chameleonchick

I am 42 weeks into my transition and I keep going back and forth with transitioning until December, March or even June. I know there are several people on here that transitioned for a while before choping. Can you share your wisdom?

How long did you transition?

What were your staple products?

What was your regimen?

Did you BC or just gradually cut the ends?

Thank you!:grin:

How long did you transition? Not sure since I never did a BC and I couldn't tell the difference between my relaxed hair and my natural hair

What were your staple products? This was at least 10 years ago....I believe I used both Pantene and Herbal Essences shampoos and conditioners. Oh, and I used Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade. I believe those are the only products I used.

What was your regimen? I didn't do anything differently/. Just the normal wash, condition, blowdry and curling iron.

Did you BC or just gradually cut the ends? No, I never BC'd. Just did trims/cuts when I felt like it just like I always did.

Sorry I can't offer much wisdom. I had never heard of the term "transition" until I found these hair boards last year and I never new it was such a big deal. I just stopped one day. By the time I stopped relaxing I was doing them once a year with the PCJ for Kids and applying it only to my edges in the front of my hair!! When I think back I don't think it was doing much to my hair!

:bump:

I want to know too, I'd love to be able to keep going when I reach my goal of 18 months (9 months away from now).

I'd like to know about those who transitioned without heat or extensions or wigs.

I know of one person who transitioned for over 2 years mainly in twistouts: http://members.fotki.com/lifesacatwalk/about/ and she is a huge inspiration for me.

How long did you transition? I trnsitioned for 26 months

Shampoos- CON Green bottle, Aphogee Deep Moisture ,
Conditioners- V05 and Suave (all scents), Mane and Tail
Deep Conditioners- ORS Hair Mayonaise, Alter Ego garlic, ORS replenishing packs, and Neutrogena Triple moisture hair mask.

Some other staples are Mango butter and coconut oil.

What was your regimen? I washed with shampoo once a week and co-washed like twice during the week. In the cooler months i kept my hair straight. I wore buns and pony tails for the entire transition with the occasional braidout if i was going out.

Did you BC or just gradually cut the ends? I guess I BC'ed twice. In the begining i chopped from bsl to sl (August 2007), around march 2009 I cut my hair even and i went from bsl to a little past shoulder length. I did a final BC on June 25, 2009.

:bump:

I want to know too, I'd love to be able to keep going when I reach my goal of 18 months (9 months away from now).

I'd like to know about those who transitioned without heat or extensions or wigs.

I know of one person who transitioned for over 2 years mainly in twistouts: http://members.fotki.com/lifesacatwalk/about/ and she is a huge inspiration for me.

:spank: Now you KNOW you wrong for posting this! I already stalked a lil bit, but I will pace myself :spinning: Thanks Mummy's Girl!

Beautiful hair, I know! Her transition is inspirational :yep: I don't think she's a member of this board...
Nice finding someone else at a similar point as I am, the OP of this thread is too. If I can continue my transition, you can!!!!

:wow: Her hair is amazing!! Is she a member of this board?

OP: We're at pretty much the same point in our transitions, I think I'm 41 weeks post. I really want to continue to transition!

2 yrs as of nov

Aphogee 2 min reconstructor, CON conditioner Green label, Aussie Deeep conditioner, wide tooth comb, and coconut oil

What was your regimen?
Dont have a regime per se. i go by how my hair feels, that determines what i will do to it and when

i gradually trimmed.. ive had 2 trims in the past yr,

Once i find what works for me i stick to it.. im by no means a PJ, college tuition is sucking up enough money. Once finding the right products i believe a major factor that helped the time fly by is leaving my hair alone. Im hair conscious but not obssessed. Before you know it those weeks turn into months, then years.

Last edited:
It's been 2 years.

I've used different shampoos, deep conditioners, and heat protectants. I'm a product junkie and I keep trying new products.
I use Tresemme conditioner for detangling when my DC doesn't detangle well. I usually use Tresemme conditioner as a pre-poo also.

What was your regimen?
Pre-poo, use clarifying/chelating shampoo if needed, shampoo, towel dry, DC under hood dryer 15-30 min., get back in shower and detangle, apply Tresemme if needed to detangle, towel dry, apply leave-in. Apply heat protectant if blow drying. Apply straightenng gel on top of heat protectant if flat ironing.

I plan to start gradually cutting the ends soon.

Back