long hair ladies who dont do "protective styling"

HomesteaderDreams

hey ladies. sorry if this has been mentioned already, but i see no mention of it. i just wanted to discuss these long hair ladies/healthy hair ladies who dont do protective styling, meaning low manipulation styling. i know glamtwinz do "curly hair months" as their protective style. mahogany curls also says "protective styling" is not for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyiuR6g-B1M&index=11&list=PLB12F9D3D3F7F5C7E

and, as far as i know, moknowshair and sistawithrealhair feel the same.

well i stay stuck in celie braids or little girl buns because i feel guilty anytime i even look at a ponytail holder or a comb. and i'd reaaally like to have "grown n sexy" hair, but over-combing or -manipulating my hair seems to have become some sort of phobia to me. any other ladies you know of who are successful in their hair growth journey sans celie braids and other "protective styles"??

I consider my hair to be long. I'm a wash and go kinda gal lol. I don't go longer than 3 days before I redo my hair, but usually I redo it either every other day or daily. I co-rinse, detangle in sections, apply leave-in in sections, then apply gel. Shampoo 1-2x a week and deep condition once a week. I think I'm considered MBL now.

I don't protective style... Not on purpose at least. Braids and buns are a no go for me (except big top buns once in while). I do low manipulation styles-- and they are not the same thing as protective styles (ends tucked/hair hidden). My ends are almost always out and hanging down. I don't use combs- i do finger detangling and it saves my hair more than anything. Once I get my hair in a style I don't manipulate again until wash day--or midway.

I m a couple of inches over MBL ,I stopped keeping my hair in buns as it made my hair slightly thin out ."loose buns " don't work for me.
I leave my hair out and oil my ends and lenght daily . My roots are fuller I don't shed as much hair and have zero breakage. The essential part for my regimen is to protect hair at night.

My hair is bra strap length and the only protective styling I do is a bun in the summer...sometimes. It's not for me. My scalp suffers immensely if I have it constructed for an extended amount of time. It wouldn't be worth whatever length retention I would get. Plus my hair grows pretty well without it.

My hair is bra strap length and the only protective styling I do is a bun in the summer...sometimes. It's not for me. My scalp suffers immensely if I have it constructed for an extended amount of time. It wouldn't be worth whatever length retention I would get. Plus my hair grows pretty well without it.

Same. My scalp starts hurting when I do basically anything other than wearing it down. I've been wearing it up a lot lately, but I have had quite a few headaches recently b/c of it. Plus my scalp starts to feel sore. My hair actually tangles less in just a regular a wash and go.

I have very tightly coiled hair so protective styling benefits me. My strands are also fine so tightly coiled+fine strands=breakage city if over manipulated.
If I had The Glam Twinz or Mahogany Curls looser textures protective styling probably wouldn't do me any good. My hair just does better left alone. Cipriana from Urban Bush Babes sort of describes my texture and as you can see her hair is protected most of the time. It's hella long too.

Years ago I did updos everyda (hence my name) but in the last 2 years I haven't bothere s to bun as much unlessi ts a bad hair day. the most improtant things for me is no shampoo never ever, it dries out me hair, no combs, or hair brushes on the lenght of my hair, I honestly combs maybe once a month and keeping the lenght oiled/moisterized.

And I go thur periods where I only wear it curly and periods where I on' flat iron.

I used to have a phobia about that too when my hair first started to get long. It lasted a while. But I've loosened up a lot. Now I just keep a simple/consistent regimen and keep it pushing. I do have a love/hate relationship with wngs though because it does result in ssks, or at least for the amount of time that I leave my hair in. But even that is not that horrible.

I think what really destroyed my hair was overusage of heat by either myself or a stylist. Without that my hair is happy.

thank you all for responding. i have no idea whether my hair is fine or not. whether it is porous or not. or what the texture is, since its radically different all over. bunning gave me breakage. the middle would tangle badly. i did loose to semi-loose buns. i've never just done straight wngs for a long period of time, but when i used to, i'd let it for like a week, then seriously regret it when it came time to cowash and detangle. :( i really dont know what to do with it. growth has "stunted." plus i tried to loc a month ago, and went 7 or 8 weeks with my hair in starter locs, before my "split end ocd" and my "shed hair in my head? ocd" kicked in. took them down, did a deep search and destroy that took me over a week. deep conditioned under a hair dryer for the first time, and was happy with my results. my roots had thickened immensely from all t he rosemary oil treatments i was doing while trying to lock. now, my hair is shorter and i jsut want some growth and i want to get more carefree with my hair and just finally enjoy it. and...pun intended... let my hair down. thank you ladies for your input. it has helped more than you know. :)

I tried the protective styling thing with twists and braids...I quickly realized my hair does not like that kind of manipulation...so I just stick to buns, ponytails and wash n go's.

Every once in a blue moon I'll put my hair in twists...but that kind of styling does a number on my ends. :nono:

I tried the protective styling thing with twists and braids...I quickly realized my hair does not like that kind of manipulation...so I just stick to buns, ponytails and wash n go's. Every once in a blue moon I'll put my hair in twists...but that kind of styling does a number on my ends. :nono:

This is me too. I do better with low manipulation and I do with "protective styles" perse. Buns don't work for me.

I think my hair does best when put away under a weave or just washed and left alone. Any heavy styling like twists, combing and styling daily, detangling with combs or tools and the like don't work for me.

I did need to put my hair away to get past shoulder length though. Buns and those type of styles didn't work. I needed to weave it up and not touch it at all. Just shampoo and deep condition under the weave.

I used wigs to transition to natural.

Pretty much anytime I try to reach a new milestone I have to hide my hair completely.

Now that I'm past shoulder length, I wear wash n go styles that require little manipulation most of the time. Deep condition twice a week. Moisturize daily. I ponytail and then leave it alone.

I wish I could do this. my hair doesn't like product so to weigh it down with product gives me split ends. WnG causes a tangled mess as do braid outs or twist outs. My hair loves flatironing but even then my nape hairs causes tangles.

It's nice to read about those who are enjoying their hair out! For me, the thought of wearing only a bun the rest of my life makes me want to cut it short.

Is Mahogany Curls a 3c? I think that's the closest I've seen to my hair.
I think so. But so am I and her curls are much loopier (if that's a word) than mine. So I think there's levels of curl in each category.

This chart shows me levels in each category...which makes it more confusing to type. Lol

Attachments

• image-3643656815.jpg
    image-3643656815.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I think so. But so am I and her curls are much loopier (if that's a word) than mine. So I think there's levels of curl in each category.

This chart shows me levels in each category...which makes it more confusing to type. Lol

Yes I think I mine is wavier, but I have boing-boings in the back.

But see? My hair doesn't like those shea moisture products she's touting, so I don't know how much curl pattern matters.

I need to be in the group that doesn't do shea butter. How do I find that group?

Yes I think I mine is wavier, but I have boing-boings in the back. But see? My hair doesn't like those shea moisture products she's touting, so I don't know how much curl pattern matters. I need to be in the group that doesn't do shea butter. How do I find that group?

Plus one! I'm in that group. My hair HATES Shea Moisture and HATES Shea butter.

I wish I could do this. my hair doesn't like product so to weigh it down with product gives me split ends. WnG causes a tangled mess as do braid outs or twist outs. My hair loves flatironing but even then my nape hairs causes tangles.

It's nice to read about those who are enjoying their hair out! For me, the thought of wearing only a bun the rest of my life makes me want to cut it short.

regina07 try this wash n go method out

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_-kVBuMJBg

I had to modify it (no brushing of the roots etc.,) but it helped me get an awesome wash n go that is frizz free and detangled. If i hadnt posted my wash n go foibles in the challenge thread i would have given up on wash n goes

Yes I think I mine is wavier, but I have boing-boings in the back.

But see? My hair doesn't like those shea moisture products she's touting, so I don't know how much curl pattern matters.

I need to be in the group that doesn't do shea butter. How do I find that group?

You need to join team avocado butter:yep:. I started the shea butter thread but i realize that i dont really like it!

hey ladies. sorry if this has been mentioned already, but i see no mention of it. i just wanted to discuss these long hair ladies/healthy hair ladies who dont do protective styling, meaning low manipulation styling. i know glamtwinz do "curly hair months" as their protective style. mahogany curls also says "protective styling" is not for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyiuR6g-B1M&index=11&list=PLB12F9D3D3F7F5C7E

and, as far as i know, moknowshair and sistawithrealhair feel the same.

well i stay stuck in celie braids or little girl buns because i feel guilty anytime i even look at a ponytail holder or a comb. and i'd reaaally like to have "grown n sexy" hair, but over-combing or -manipulating my hair seems to have become some sort of phobia to me. any other ladies you know of who are successful in their hair growth journey sans celie braids and other "protective styles"??

I used to protective style for the winter season. But I like playing in my hair and having my hair out. So I quit p-styling altogether. I stick to wash n gos primarily and when I wanna get "fancy"( lol) I'll do a twist out.

Funny thing is, my hair still thrives and seems to retain length just as well. So I'm beginning to think protective styling is a tad bit overrated.

I think protective styling is necessary for damaged hair, shoulder length hair and hair that has shown it won't retain (ie chemically treated hair that can be really fragile and break easily).

When your hair is NOT rubbing your clothes, is NOT fried or split and is NOT fragile and broken off, but healthy and strong and has a good moisture balance, I believe it can survive more exposure to the elements.

My hair when relaxed and colored and shorter would not retain unless I protected it. Now that I'm natural and past shoulder length and my hair is healthy and strong, it tolerates a bit more.

Back