Who here HATES Protective Styling?

Ugh - yes!!! I feel like I'm making progress but I can't even show it because I don't want to have a setback!!

You and your hair are gorgeous BTW!

I hate it for the most part, but I will cover my hair (especially the ends) if it is raining, snowing, or really cold out.

I don't care for it, but I will do some.

For me, weaving is my primary protective style because I need to be able to wear a hairstyle. I don't like buns on me and they don't work as a protective measure for me - too much stress on my edges and my ends get crunchy.

I have been wearing my hair down in the back this week, but it's getting annoying because I can feel my back pull against it and my ends are rubbing against seatbacks so even now as I sit at my desk I've pinned my ends up to get them out of the way.

Last edited:
I don't really care for it since have a fat face and I think I look funny with my hair all pulled back. However I am going to try to practice more protective styles this winter so my hair does not snap off.

OMG you took the words right out of my mouth. I am in the process of growing my hair out, I have been cutting it in a bob since my daughter was born almost a year ago. I wear my hair out most of the time..now it is in braids. I don't think that I can wear protective styles all the time. I just don't see the point of growing you hair down your back and then putting it in a bun everyday. I have had long hair before BSL and I wore it down more than up. I did not have any breakage. If it works for you then do it but there is nothing wrong with changing up your style sometime.

*raises hand* Me!!!

That's why I don't do it often...when I feel like I need a break from dealing with my hair, then I wear protecitve styles, but in general, I hate them :imo:

@Sherrylove, hey gurl!!!!!!!! :sneakyhug: you know I still love your hair girl!

At this point I protective style to protect my own *** from having to do the work to wear it out/down :lol:

I have a love hate relationship with protective styles. I get tired of my bun but it is so easy to maintain and my hair is the longest that it is have ever been (after protective styling for almost a year).

ME!!! I truly dislike protective styling, but I do appreciate the benefits of it. I practice protective styling because it's allowing me to achieve my goals faster. I usually have an up-do 4 days out of the week. The purpose of growing WL hair is to enjoy, it defeats the purpose if it can't be seen. Therefore, I'll let it flow once I've attained my goal.:grin:

I hate it but I know it is needed for retention. I wear protective styles in the fall, winter, and spring. Summer time I get to treat myself.

I like updos and wet-bunning has helped me retain length, but after a while, protective styling can be boring. So, as a compromise, after a few weeks of straight bunning, I wear my hair out and enjoy it for the next few weeks.

ME!!! I truly dislike protective styling, but I do appreciate the benefits of it. I practice protective styling because it's allowing me to achieve my goals faster. I usually have an up-do 4 days out of the week. The purpose of growing WL hair is to enjoy, it defeats the purpose if it can't be seen. Therefore, I'll let it flow once I've attained my goal.:grin:

that's how i feel, too..but i'm not wearing protective styles right now and i should be to help my hair along its healthy journey....

I absolutely HATE THEM!

I cannot wear a bun becasue I do not have the face for it I look far better with my hair down or hair around my face which means I have to wear half wigs or phony pony's and I HATE that I have to walk around with fake hair on.

Having said that the progress my hair is making with protective styling is amazing...

I hate protective styling because my buns are not big enough, but, its winter and I am scared to elave my hair out in this cold english weather.

I like them. I cannot wait to see what goals this would bring my hair by next year! Also it is less work too.

Just grab hair together in the back or side with a ponyholder. Wrap some extra hair around my short pony (until my hair grows some more), pin around into a bun, put some barrettes (sp) on it to jazzy up some and I am OUT!

I really try not to think about the bun to much 5 days out of the week. What I find that also may help is that on the weekends only I wear my hair down. And that is if I feel like it. If not, up in a bun.

Last edited:
:look:

I love my protective styles. :lol: My hair is almost always up & away - and - I guess it's because I'm so used to it - it feels right to me. Even right now, I have my twists down, and it feels odd. :lol:

I'm growing my hair specifically to create more amazing and elaborate styles - which would be considered protective, as they are almost all updos - and it's also the easiest way to keep my hair detangled. ;)

:lol:

ETA: Though, as it gets longer, I might start to feel different.

I knew you'd come in this thread and show the protective styles some love. But dang, the hair being in twists is not enough, the twists themselves have to be up, too?! You are hard-core.

I like them. I cannot wait to see what goals this would bring my hair by next year! Also it is less work too.

Just grab hair together in the back or side with a ponyholder. Wrap some extra hair around my short pony (until my hair grows some more), pin around into a bun, put some barrettes (sp) on it to jazzy up some and I am OUT!

I really try not to think about the bun to much 5 days out of the week. What I find that also may help is that on the weekends only I wear my hair down. And that is if I feel like it. If not, up in a bun.

Luvmesumhair, you have a really cute bun. I didn't like the look when I tried bunning a few weeks ago, and I felt like the hair pins put stress on the ends as well. How do you avoid this?

I like them, even though I cant do them right now cuz my hair is too short. I cant imagine wearing my hair down everyday, if my hair was long enough for a bun. I would protective styles maybe 2 or 3 days out the week.

I love to wear my hair down but protective styles have given me the length that I have! So I have become the protective style queen. I've just learned to accept that protective styles are a must for me to retain my length. *sigh*

Thak you. I use the wide hair pins. Not the tight bobby pins. If that is what you are asking? If not, let me know. Also, I have hair wrapped around my hair so my hair is protected under it. Does that make sense?:look:

Luvmesumhair, you have a really cute bun. I didn't like the look when I tried bunning a few weeks ago, and I felt like the hair pins put stress on the ends as well. How do you avoid this?

i hate them. durring the summer i wet bun(more like wet braid and pin up) and i can do that for a while before i get tired. but when i flat iron my hair it aint going up in any way shape or form. i like my hair to swang. and sometimes i do get paranoid that it will break but i doubt it. i wear my hair down 90% of the time. i dont feel attractive with my hair in a bun. if i wear my hair up it is in some kind of still wear the hair is pinned up but the ends are out, if that makes since.

Back