long hair ladies & how u really feel about those stares?

NJoy said:
I don't wear my hair out much at all and am really self-conscious when I do. But as far as stares, I've been fly all my life so, I'm used to crazy looks and sometimes provoke the looker. (yeah, I said it) It's just too funny to me. :look:

But really, I almost forget it's the hair they're staring at and go into my "is-there-a-problem" counter stare down...hard. Either they'll look away embarrassed (which results in my "yeah, that's-what-I-thought smirk") or they'll start with the compliments (in which case, I relax and offer genuine thanks).

I'm wearing a hl wig now, trying to get used to being out with my hair out. In no way am I trying to front like it's all me but... I keep a pair of shades on because, I sees ya lookin.

:grin:

Oh! Let me add, I wore my hair out in TN about a month ago and I kept fidget'g with it. Putting it into a ponytail, and then bun, and then shaking it loose to make a ponytail again. I did notice that stares provoked my takedowns. Yeah, I earned it. What?!

I told y'all early on that I'd be stank. You. Can't. Tell. Me. NOTHIN'!!! :lachen:

(Somebody pray my strength in the Lord. I need Jesus. :look:)

AAAAGGGGHHHHhahahaha...!:rofl:

I love it! This post made me smile.

Now that my hair is bigger when curly...people are back to staring. Im like NJoy...i cannot be without shades bc i hate ppl staring at me...even as a child...there's never been a positive feeling that came with ppl staring at me.

I have kinda outgrown it tho...wait til i flat iron it later this year...swangin it all nonchalantly.:look: Im still learning to interpret staring as "people really like what they are seeing" but with some ppl....i don't WANT em to like it! Just go away! Lol!!

Sent from my N860 using LHCF

^^^IMO, I don't think that she was mad that you were dating an Asian man. I think she was jealous of you bc she knew she could never pull an Asian. Obviously this chick is way to ghettofied to even have one looking her way. That's why she was w/ a thug looking dude.

I have to second that. *Some* chickens are very stuck in their own world they don't know how to get out... and get really mad at those who can mingle.

But acting out ones chickeness further exasperates the circumstances because no man from another background goes for a chicken. (One in his right mind.)

She may have been a militant chicken.:grin:

I haven't noticed stares but I am oblivious to things like that most of the time. I wouldn't mind the stares as long as the people aren't rude. Last time I straightened to do a length check and get a trim I was Bsl I did have a coworker all up in my head checking me for wefts. I wasn't offended because we are cool and she was fascinated by shrinkage my hair shrinks to just touching Sl Curly. Most of the time I think people just assume I have a weave honestly.

I just found out recently that my mother never complimented me on my progress because she thought my hair was a weave lol. I went to see her after getting it straightened and my hair was starting to revert. I made a comment about my hair getting puffy from the humidity she looks at my head hard and says "Thats your hair? I thought it was a weave" I was like wow my own mother lol.
I can't wait to straighten again in October I'm hoping I made my next goal of Mbl.

Last edited:
I don't wear my hair out much at all and am really self-conscious when I do. But as far as stares, I've been fly all my life so, I'm used to crazy looks and sometimes provoke the looker. (yeah, I said it) It's just too funny to me. :look:

But really, I almost forget it's the hair they're staring at and go into my "is-there-a-problem" counter stare down...hard. Either they'll look away embarrassed (which results in my "yeah, that's-what-I-thought smirk") or they'll start with the compliments (in which case, I relax and offer genuine thanks).

I'm wearing a hl wig now, trying to get used to being out with my hair out. In no way am I trying to front like it's all me but... I keep a pair of shades on because, I sees ya lookin.

:grin:

Oh! Let me add, I wore my hair out in TN about a month ago and I kept fidget'g with it. Putting it into a ponytail, and then bun, and then shaking it loose to make a ponytail again. I did notice that stares provoked my takedowns. Yeah, I earned it. What?!

I told y'all early on that I'd be stank. You. Can't. Tell. Me. NOTHIN'!!! :lachen:

(Somebody pray my strength in the Lord. I need Jesus. :look:)

--NJoy--LOL, girl you aint got a bit of sense!!:lachen:

Back