LMFAO! Some people just really don't know...

TwistedRoots

Back2Life Back2ReLaxer!
about our hair.

I meant to tell this story awhile ago she just reminded of what she said when I told her (my white roommate) that I was going to get my hair relaxed.

This is how the conversation went:

Me: I need to do something to this hair.
Roomie: What are you going to do with it?
Me: I don't know probably relax it.
Roomie: Relax it? :ohwell:
Me: Yea...
Roomie: What is your hair stressed out or something? :perplexed
Me: :look:
Roomie: :perplexed
Me: :blush: Oh you are serious.... :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I explained to her what I meant.

She never had black friends. I'm still tickled!

Just thought you all needed a good laugh!

Tasha :grin:

:grin: Aww, that's cute. Sometimes I like it when people are blissfully unaware of what black women do to their hair. I hate it when non-blacks "assume" that you do certain things with your hair. For instance I have this one friend (white male) who told me "Oh, you perm your hair don't you?" and I'm like "Yeah, and?" and he's like "I knew it! I know because your hair wasn't as straight back in middle school/high school" "Umm, I've been relaxing my hair since elementary" and he's like "Oh, but you still straighten it". Turns out he had just learned about Madame C.J. Walker in one of his classes and figured he'd exercise his new found knowledge on me. Kind of funny, but :nono:.

That's funny. I have a friend from Bosnia that I have to explain things to sometimes. She just doesn't know, that's what we're there for! At least your roomie is getting her info from someone w/some real knowledge and not some tack head...:grin:

lol... like this guy told me my hair is so silky and soft and he like my texture when i wet it and go... him thinking those loose waves are my texture. i told him my hair was relaxed... he was like well i should hope it wouldn't be stressed.

That was funny. This is why when i am talking to a lot of my white friends, I just tell them that I am going for a chemical straitening.

One February, I was talking about needing a touch up/perm in the presence of my white co-worker. We worked together everyday for 8 years until she retired early and being the nut that she is she starting asking questions.

I told her that in honor of Black History Month :grin: I would explain, "our" perms versus "their" perms. She asked if she could touch my new growth (which there was a lot of) and I let her. She commented how soft it was and was quite envious and amazed at how we can style our hair different ways with techniques like wet setting, braidouts, natural twa's and such. I also explained how weaves were done. She then asked me why some black women that she sees on the train pat their heads!!! :ohwell:

Before I explained everything, I warned her not to go out in public trying to show that she was "down" by repeating stuffy like, nappy and kinky and pattin' your weave and new growth. :look:

Last edited:
Before I explained everything, I warned her not to go out in public trying to show that she was "down" by repeating stuffy like, nappy and kinky and pattin' your weave and new growth. :look:

OMG that's so funny! :lachen:
When I did the BC I was told that one of our HR ladies was heard commenting on how I got a curly perm and a hair cut LMAO

this happened to me in basic training. our t.i.(training instructor) was bein nice and let a few of us black girls relax our hair. the "clear" girls were soooo amazed. they did not understand it at all. they asked us a million questions. it really is sad how we know tons about the white community and they know nada about ours.

Back