Living with your spouses parents and paying rent

KimPossibli

Supergirl
you are getting married.

Your husband lives in an apartment owned by his family and doesn't pay rent.

When you move in as his wife, you are presented with a rental agreement.

With only your name on it.

Fair? Unfair? Has anyone ever encountered this situation?

My comment: It wouldn't be me. While I understand that the husband is still at 'home' I'm not cool with the idea that the rent is only being paid by one occupant.

'Maybe' and this is a big maybe if the rent was so reduced as to make it insignificant in relation to market value..

but even then...

They must not like the new wife. The husband needs to handle that or they need to suck it up and move out

It's obvious that they don't like her and they don't have to :look:

If he's living alone, it's him living "at home" to me. But if he's bringing in a wife, then he's starting a family and I do not see the issue with him paying some sort of rent. However, her name being the only one on it says to me that they do not like her.

It's obvious that they don't like her and they don't have to :look:

If he's living alone, it's him living "at home" to me. But if he's bringing in a wife, then he's starting a family and I do not see the issue with him paying some sort of rent. However, her name being the only one on it says to me that they do not like her.

Him, yes. Them, fine. I can totally get parents cahrging rent for that.

But just her? Nope, nope, nope.

My dad and his wife did this with my now sis n law and my brother. The crazy part was,she wasn't working at the time. So even though she was who was supposedly required to pay rent, obviously my brother was paying it.

My stepmother is one of those women ya'll always talk about who treats her sons like her husband even though my dad is and has always been in the house. So it was a petty move for sure.

It must be nice to be a grown man living in your parents rental property for free. He better have a good amount of money saved up to buy a house or something.

The issue with the rent payment is petty.

I could see if this was a girlfriend and even then its petty, but a daughter in law is family now.

This is straight sheisty.

They could present it all they want it wouldn't get signed or paid by me. I hope she isn't even considering it. I would remove my name and give it to him or leave it on the table.

So what is she planning on doing OP.

I understand them charging rent, but since the catalyst to the change was their engagement and only the fiancé's name is on the rental agreement, it's a problem. He needs to deal with his family or find someplace else for them to live. It's clear they don't like her.

I wouldn't marry him. We don't have to best friends but I would never marry a guy whose parents hate me. Marriage is so much hard work and adding antagonistic parents to the mix will not work for me. Hateful siblings I can live with but parents, nope. I'm dipping.

My question is what did the husband do when this happened?

Mortons

He was the one who 'explained' to her when she got the rental agreement that he was at 'home'

They could present it all they want it wouldn't get signed or paid by me. I hope she isn't even considering it. I would remove my name and give it to him or leave it on the table.

So what is she planning on doing OP.

faithVA
They are currently separated. The marriage didn't last very long. I only found out about this 'foolishment' when we had a long over due chat.

At the time she refused to sign the agreement. but when the time came her husband apparently reminded her that the rent was 'due'....

Clear this up for me .... is she MARRIED to him or ENGAGED to be married?

BEAUTYU2U

They were very newly married.

Mortons

He was the one who 'explained' to her when she got the rental agreement that he was at 'home'

faithVA
They are currently separated. The marriage didn't last very long. I only found out about this 'foolishment' when we had a long over due chat.

At the time she refused to sign the agreement. but when the time came her husband apparently reminded her that the rent was 'due'....

BEAUTYU2U

Wth?! No wonder they're separated.

Either family is allowing US to live there for free or husband is paying rent. I would prefer not to do any type of leasing with family.

I'm curious to know how much they were charging for rent, do you know?

Last edited:
@Mortons

@faithVA

@BEAUTYU2U

I can't believe she married that fool and that SHE SIGNED THE AGREEMENT! He is at home???? That he would fix his lips to tell her that is crazy.....even crazier.... talking about pay up! Rent is due! :ohwell::lol::perplexed
Not his parents but HE told her that. Da fuggggg! :lol:

I cant even formulate a coherent response to this foolishness!

I can't believe she married that fool and that SHE SIGNED THE AGREEMENT! He is at home???? That he would fix his lips to tell her that is crazy.....even crazier.... talking about pay up! Rent is due! :ohwell::lol::perplexed
Not his parents but HE told her that. Da fuggggg! :lol:

She never actually signed but she did pay the rent for the first 3-4 months....

After that she was disgusted with that, plus other issues in their marriage and left him. Some of these issues affected her health.

His mother is now saying that she left with out giving proper notice and that there was no security deposit, so she owes the mother money.

There were a number of not so ideal factors to their relationship.

There was a very fast/ whirlwind courtship. They got married with in months of starting to date.
There is a significant age difference between her and the husband. He is mid twenties and she has children (who don't live with her) in their mid twenties
They met at work.

but none to me would have indicated that this 'rent' issue would have shown up...

@Mortons

@faithVA

She never actually signed but she did pay the rent for the first 3-4 months....

After that she was disgusted with that, plus other issues in their marriage and left him. Some of these issues affected her health.

His mother is now saying that she left with out giving proper notice and that there was no security deposit, so she owes the mother money.

I don't know what's worse, her paying the 3-4 months of rent, or her husband siding with his crazy parents. And then to add insult to injury, they telling her that she has a balance due. Oh no, there was going to be a mysterious fire at that residence. There was no way that that marriage could have lasted. (OP, please confirm that they have no children together.)

At the time she refused to sign the agreement. but when the time came her husband apparently reminded her that the rent was 'due'.... .
I'm assuming the parents had an issue with her age, but still...are these white people?

Attachments

• image-1667250551.jpg
    image-1667250551.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 26
Wait, SHE was paying the rent? What was he doing the whole time? OMG why would someone even walk into this foolishness......this is the craziest stuff I have EVER heard.

I'm guessing that the parents just don't like her and wanted to make it clear that she was just a tenant. But only putting her name on the lease, I'm guessing, there will be less legal ramifications in evicting her.

I'm not sure how he is supposed to "deal with his family" regarding their property... the only other alternative was to find elsewhere for them to live.

Back