Living with The Passive Aggressive man - When He Withholds Sex.

CurlyMoo

Came across this article, I wonder what you ladies think and experience is with these type of males.
http://divorcesupport.about.com/od/abusiverelationships/a/pa_sex.htm

Have you ever had a wonderful day with your husband only to be rejected sexually at the end of the day? You lay in bed replaying the events of the day in your head. There were no arguments; you both appeared to be enjoying yourself. It was an expensive outing at a local mall but your husband didn’t complain, he even made several purchases for himself.

So, what happened to that loving man you spent the day with? Where is the man who seemed to be happy to be with you and eager to please?
Not to worry, he is still there. He is now passive aggressively punishing you for what he wasn’t willing to express to you earlier. That expensive day of shopping bothered him. It bothered him tremendously and you now need to be punished for engaging in an activity that he failed to be honest with you about.

According to Scott Wetzler, author of Living With The Passive Aggressive Man, “Abstinence is a common complaint from women involved with passive aggressive men. If he’s in a financial pinch, he’ll take you out for the evening but remind you that the evening’s expenses are a huge burden. He’ll then make up pay by refusing to have sex. But if you offer to go Dutch before he suggests it, he’ll take it as an emasculating gesture.

And still he’ll make you pay by withholding sex. His sexual refusal, however, will usually be hidden under the guise of a transparent excuse: he’s sleepy, sick, preoccupied with work.”

Try to get a passive aggressive man to admit he is punishing you by withholding sex and he will look at you as if you have three heads. My ex husband was passive aggressive. His favorite way of punishing me was to withhold sex. He punished me so often that as far as intimacy we averaged six times a year.

I did what most women who are punished in such a way. I internalized it, made it about me. If I were better looking, thinner, a better mother or a better wife my husband would want to be intimate with me. That is what most women married to passive aggressives do; they doubt themselves and buy into the “too tired” excuse.

In other words, we do exactly what the passive aggressive is not able to do openly and honestly. We punish ourselves. His need to punish us is successful and he didn’t have to say a word. All it took was turning away from us in bed. He keeps his good guy image and at the same time makes his wife pay for not reading his mind and knowing he was upset and acting accordingly.

Most men engage in sex for pleasure, so they can make a deeper connection with the woman they love. The passive aggressive man doesn’t view sex the same way. For the passive aggressive man sex is not about making an intimate connection with his wife but about proving to himself that he isn’t dependent on his wife, the he doesn't need that intimate connection.

While most men are having sex with their wife in order to connect more deeply with her, the passive aggressive man withholds sex from his wife in order to keep himself safe and to show her who the boss is. Sex is a weapon to be used, not a way of connecting more deeply with his wife.

“To undermine your self-worth without taking action is a passive aggressive man’s ideal crime of omission,” says Scott Wetzler.

Below are suggestions for dealing with a passive aggressive husband who withholds sex:

1. Do not internalize his behavior. It isn’t about your worth or attractiveness. It is about him and his inability to express anger.
  2. Call him on his behavior. Tell him you know he is upset and you deserve to be told what is wrong instead of punished like a child.
  3. Keep in mind that his behavior has to do with fear, fear of getting to close to you, fear of being abandoned by you and probably years of hidden anger toward you.
  4. Get into therapy as a couple. A passive aggressive man can change his behavior if there is motivation and a commitment to his marriage.
  5. Reassure him that he is important to you, that you love him and hope that he loves you enough to want to change the unhealthy relationship dynamics.
  6. When all else fails, make the decision to either stay and accept his behavior or leave the marriage. If, after expressing your desire to save the marriage by going to counseling and helping him change destructive behaviors he carries on, the odds of him ever changing is slim to none.

Yeah my ex-husband was very very passive aggressive, he didn't withhold sex per se but he would do the silent treatment by talking about everything under the sun except what was bothering him.

At the end of the day...I really don't see how you can win with someone who is passive-aggressive...because you'll never know what you don't know. To me being P/A is synonymous with being dishonest.

This article is making me think about a former "friend" who wouldn't speak on what was bothering him. He would act like everything was okay and then change his behavior like he was flipping a light switch. Then he'd look shocked when I called him on it and acted like I was tripping.

I agree that its synonymous with being dishonest. You can't overcome the problem because you can never have a real conversation to even know why the person is upset. Maybe in a marriage there is more commitment to the relationship that would cause both parties to work toward a solution but it was the end of our friendship. I discovered some other things as well so I don't think it was all about the PA behavior.

I believe that most PA men are so determined to look good and not face their issues that there is really nothing you can do. If a man continuously withheld sex that would be a dealbreaker. No way I would be begging a man to have sex with me or go to counseling with me over it :nono:. I just couldn't do it.

This article is making me think about a former "friend" who wouldn't speak on what was bothering him. He would act like everything was okay and then change his behavior like he was flipping a light switch. Then he'd look shocked when I called him on it and acted like I was tripping.

I agree that its synonymous with being dishonest. You can't overcome the problem because you can never have a real conversation to even know why the person is upset. Maybe in a marriage there is more commitment to the relationship that would cause both parties to work toward a solution but it was the end of our friendship. I discovered some other things as well so I don't think it was all about the PA behavior.

Don't second guess yourself. Men put their best foot forward in the beginning. How he was when you were friends was not going to improve suddenly because of marriage. That's how people end up on here making thread after thread ignoring the red flag that was shown from the beginning.

Me? I had one nut play games like that when I was young and dumb. It was a control thing to "keep me on my toes". Now? I'd pull out my mechanical crayon and send him on his merry way. No time for games of any sort.

Don't second guess yourself. Men put their best foot forward in the beginning. How he was when you were friends was not going to improve suddenly because of marriage. That's how people end up on here making thread after thread ignoring the red flag that was shown from the beginning. Me? I had one nut play games like that when I was young and dumb. It was a control thing to "keep me on my toes". Now? I'd pull out my mechanical crayon and send him on his merry way. No time for games of any sort.

Thanks for the encouragement but I wasn't second guessing myself. When I said there was more to it than his PA behavior I was referring to him being a closeted gay man. He unintentionally outed himself by sending me an explicit text intended for his male lover. He had a ridiculous story about someone else sending the text from his phone. We could never have a real conversation about it (thanks to his PA behavior) so that was basically the end of it. We had an argument about something else and he accused me of having feelings for him and changing since the argument. It was all so cray cray that it was surreal.

I don't have an issue with gay people but the situation and his handling of it made me see that he was unstable and couldn't be trusted.

Maybe there are other reasons such as lack of intimacy . It s very possible for some men not to want to have sex if they don't feel connected to their partner .

No surprise here. My father is PA. When he gets into one of his moods around us (my mom, sister, and I) we make one easy attempt to draw him in. If it fails, we ignore him. I find it childish and irritating.
Its emotional abuse and it can go on for days. I dont entertain power plays or tantrums from the children at work. I will not do it with a grown man

I would call him out on it.

You don't get to not tell me why you're upset and try to use sex to punish me for something I don't even know I did. I won't tolerate that long term, so you should decide if this power you think you have (as I would romance myself and get it on with him) is worth it.

I'd get up from that bed, run me a relaxing bubble bath not bathe, just as mood set, put on some sexy time music, use a nice body butta and get busy.

Divorce or breakup. Period.

I’m not one to withhold sx, even when I’m mad BF can still (and will) get it. I can be mad and still get wet so there’s no excuse.

The same applies to a man. He can still get hard and be pissed off. So we’re good. I’m sure about 5 minutes it, you’ll come to grips with what upsetting you and we can talk after. :look:

I believe that most PA men are so determined to look good and not face their issues that there is really nothing you can do. If a man continuously withheld sex that would be a dealbreaker. No way I would be begging a man to have sex with me or go to counseling with me over it :nono:. I just couldn't do it.
I liked this comment 3 years ago.. interesting..

I interpret passive aggression to be an unhealthy way to cope with anger or not getting a desired result; even when compromising.

So my question is: what experiences have y’all had with a mans anger or upset (aside from PA)?

I also believe this is a double standard at times, which is why I try to even the playing field by expecting the same requirement men will often place on women.

I interpret passive aggression to be an unhealthy way to cope with anger or not getting a desired result; even when compromising.

So my question is: what experiences have y’all had with a mans anger or upset (aside from PA)?

I also believe this is a double standard at times, which is why I try to even the playing field by expecting the same requirement men will often place on women.
What I’m dealing with:

He convienently forgets things. When I ask him about it or get mad he says that don’t i see that he is trying?

He especially forgets things they cost him money. He will say he will pay for my car to get washed then “forget”. If I remind him all of a sudden I’m inconviencing him.

He will sabotage sex. He can’t take criticism. So if I say ooh do it like this or touch me here he will do it for maybe 2 minutes and stop. The next time we have sex it’s like he “forgot” what I asked for. If I bring it up it’s because I expect him to have sex with me like all the other guys I’ve been with.

He is mad about the things from our past. I treat him well now but he is wishy washy in how he treats me. If I address it he is unbothered because no one cared how he felt years ago.

He told me he doesn’t care about me doing xyz. Then in an argument he hates that I don’t do xyz. He switches it up if it’s convienent.

He sulks when he doesn’t get his way. He’s secretive but gives me information when it’s convenient for him but it’s for him to play victim and make me feel bad for scolding him. I can be going off on him for taking out the trash and he’s switch subjects like yeah....they found out my uncle only has 3 Months to live. He has cancer. Bruh what that got to do with the price of tea in China and the trash.

This sounds like a lot of men and the reason I say this is based upon my experience men are not good with confrontation with their spouses (unless they are abusive) for a variety of reasons all the way down to the type of male role model they had in the home.

Passive aggressive is the easiest form of addressing an issue because it doesn’t require the communication skills needed for productive conflict/resolution and the need to cope is nonexistent.

I honestly believe that a lot of men are PA, whether their wives or girlfriends want to admit it. It’s kind of socially acceptable for a woman to be PA but not for a man (Conflicts with the idea of masculinity).

This is just my hypothesis though.

Back