LHCF Bootcamp - 30 Day Check-In

brownsugarflyygirl

:orders: Okay soldiers.....Its time to Check-In!

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp?

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days?

What has been your staple hairstyle?

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers?

Lets hear from you ladies!!

ETA: We will be doing monthly check-ins but we will be do picture updates at the end of each session. Just FYI.:)

Last edited:
Just as a side note, my life is crazy busy right now so if you all have any questions about bootcamp please PM me versus placing them in a thread as I might not see it.
I havent really had the time to be on LHCF much these days....**sniff** Okay...with that being said...Here is my check-in:

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? No heat - I went 7 months with no heat prior to starting bootcamp and it seems that once bootcamp started I had a serious craving for some straight hair...grrr:mad:

Solution: I went and bought a straight style wig to hold me over. Its fierce too...I get tons o' compliments :grin:

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? Styling my hair at night while damp and then tying it with a scarf works wonders - my 4a coils dont like rush jobs - I have to take my time no matter what I am doing to it.

What has been your staple hairstyle? My afro phony pony - its great - protective and low maintence. Everyone thinks its my hair...they say "oh wow your hair is really growing" I politely say thank you:) Thinking to myself...well my hair is growing...you just arent seeing the hair that is :lol:

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? Identify your motivation and keep it at the forefront of your mind.

Once I remembered that I had ALWAYS had collar-bone length straight hair and that the purpose of all this was to get it to APL and then wear straight hair, it really helped kill my heat cravings.

So remember the WHY...and you can do that WHAT!
Haha...thats corny..but it works for me. ;)

Your turn ladies!

I have NOT been doing well at all. Let's just say today is the first day of my bootcamp. I started off well this morning. I put jojoba on my ends and I'm off to the gym to get the circulation going.

- deep conditioning.... i've always been really lax in deep conditioning... conversely, i've been really lax in shampooing too.... i cw daily and my biggest challenge is pooing and then making sure i dc after i poo...

- i learned that maybe i can stretch for longer than 12 weeks... i'm contemplating 16 weeks now.... (henna is now friend rather than foe)

- i've been a bunner... it's really easy and appropriate now (especially since i'm working from home now)... when i chose not to bun, i do a clipped up ponytail....

- persevere ladies... the results will be worth it....

1.What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp?

not using heat on my bangs, cut bangs 3 weeks ago,

SOLUTION: pin the bangs to the side, works just fine,

2.What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days?

I can stretch longer than I realized,currently on week #19 my hair loves water,

3.What has been your staple hairstyle?
cornrowed under a half wig,

4.What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers?

olive oil is great for sheen, very inexspensive, untangle hair gently while wet, deep condition, moisture,

I was severely underprocessed from my last relaxer from the beginning of Bootcamp. So I have a whole lot of NG. I have been bunning but it's been hard because it's not laying smooth and flat like I would want it too.

I have reaffirmed that my hair works best with a fresh shampoo and DC. I can't take 3 day old hair and get it to do what I want it to do. So I know now that if I want to change my style, I have to start from scratch.

My buns and phony ponies have been my staple style for the challenge, but, I have been having a hard time getting all of my hair into my pony. One morning I went to the ladies room at work only to discover that my real pony had "escaped" from my phony pony and was sticking out the side of my head! :lachen: :lachen:

I have to update the ponies that I have and get regular size ones. I have been buying the "kiddie" ponies because they look a little more natural and have less hair.

IT CAN BE DONE! Don't forget that we are all here to support each other in our journey. Oftentimes if you ask, there is a member here who is or has been where you are and can offer advice or help!

Weekly deep conditioning and not combing/brushing. I like my edges to look "perfect", but the scarf has been doing the trick. I've been using my fingers and my Jilbere shower comb when I need to comb, but that's it.

My hair doesn't need to be combed brushed every day in order to be manageable, and my hair loves moisture. Keeping my hair off my clothes has proven to be very important in retaining length. I know everyone has said it, but now I know it from experience.

A loose bun or pulled back into a butterfly clip.

Keep going, and try not to worry about your hair too much. SL, APL, BSL, MBL, and WL can seem sooooo far away, but with patience and time you will realize you are getting closer to your goals. I've realized that I cannot look at my length every day and expect to see progress, and get frustrated when I don't. The progress is there, but when you're watching it like a hawk, it's hard to tell. Hiding my hair is making it so much easier for me to cope.

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? I'd say remembering to keep my hair moisturized. I can go days without an water or oil touching my hair. I have to remember to take the extra couple minutes to ensure my hair's elasticity.

Solution: I do one co-wash per week and this helps ensure that some sort of moisture is hitting my head. Plus whenever I wash, I always seal with oil, so I knock off two things in one sitting.

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? nothing that I didn't know before. My hair likes to be left alone, so that's pretty much what I'm doing.

What has been your staple hairstyle? Two strand twists. They're easy to do, look cute, and last for at least two weeks.

Step away from the mirror. Watching for growth everyday won't make the hair grow any faster, so it's best not to frustrate yourself. The growth will come when you least expect it.

I don't normally wear my hair down but lately I feel like I need too. Some of the people I am around always say, what are you trying to do, why don't you wear your hair down? Since I don't let them know about the secret forum :sekret: I get a lot of that. So not wearing it down and keeping up with it the way I should. My life is a little hectic.

That I have to be patient with it!!! That's all :look:

I've been bunning it but I am thinking of braid & twist outs, WnGs and maybe a half wig based on some of the other posters comments.

Keep it up. We will all be thankful at the end of this!

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? I haven't really had any challenges.

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? Nothing yet.

What has been your staple hairstyle? I've had two weaves so far with a week's break (phony pony) in between

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? Hang in there!

ETA: We will be doing monthly check-ins but we will be do picture updates at the end of each session. Just FYI.:)

I will have to say wearing protective styles all the time:look:

Nothing new:ohwell:

Wearing scarfs a lot, and pulling it back in a loose bun.

To just know that it's going to be worth it at the end.:)

Wanting to see the true length of my hair... I'm natural and shrinkage is a busta! :look:

It's happiest when I deep condition absolutely every wash.

Hair slicked back into a single braid with Curly Meringue and MTG.

Patience is a virtue--not convienience. Let us all be virtuous women during this challenge. It will prove very rewarding!;) :lol:

Well in the begining it was resisting the urge to use the blowdryer... But i think my hair looks better than ever and i dont use any heat unless it is an aphogee treatment
I can make my hair look good with out the stress of heat. I just did a whole head of stuff with no heat a roller set at that.. i cant believe itWhat has been your staple hairstyle?
Roller sets, I think you can look good without using heat and keeping your hair healthy
Keep going, just think of the looks you will get with your long swinging hair

I biggest challenge for me has been getting my lazy butt up to actually
shampoo/dc when i'm suppose to.

Solution: I assigned myself designated shampoo/dc days- MONDAYS AND THURSDAYS. The night before my designated day, i'll put some WGO which really motivates me to shampoo/dc that following morning!

Nothing that i already didn't know.

Bunning has been my main protective style.

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? Be patient and you will be greatly rewarded in the end!

- Leaving my hair alone. Literally and figuratively. lol I have HIH disease. BAD. Maintaining moisture. S curl helps but the oils have to be heavier.... My hair gives the finger to the light ones now a days. Motivation. I've had little energy lately. I know it's because I haven't been eating right. So everything's been relatively simple. I need to get back on point with my washing and deep conditioning.

- It likes lots of S-curl and castor oil.... and it likes to be left alone. Nothing new. Castor oil nightly and S-curl (full strength) once every two days.

- Parted down the center with two twisted/plaited pig tails pinned under

- Keep it up. One month down three more to go until the reveal in April (for those on that challenge.) Get into the groove and simplify so you'll have a regimen you can stick to for the year. Make time for yourself and your hair. You'll be glad you did.

No major challenges so far, but I've switched from co-washing mid-week to doing a full wash/DC. The co-washing was overmoisturizing my hair. But, doing a wash/DC on a weeknight takes up quite a bit of time. Gotta work on ways to speed things up (and not sacrifice hair in the process)!:look:

It's actually growing! I can really tell now. Also, I'm getting the hang of the whole moisture/protein balance thing.

Phony pony (either my textured pony or a straight one wrapped into a bun) or a half-wig. Maybe once a week or so (usually weekends), I'll wear an updo with my own hair. It's been a while since anybody saw my hair down - even before this challenge!

Patience is a virtue. And even when you don't think your hair is growing, it really is!

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? It's been hard to deep conditioning each time I wash my hair. I'm getting lazy. Also I want a hair cut so bad:perplexed I keep seeing women with nice layered cuts.

I have alot of shrinkage with a relaxer...:confused:

Phony pony and practicing Bantu knots and twists...imma get it right:lol:

Lean on me when you're not strong :grin: I'll be there to give you strength to carry on. WE CAN MAKE IT!

Last edited:
I have been doing so awesome!!!!!!!!!

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? Not switching up products and just remaining true to my staples.

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? That my hair HATES too much protein. I have learned when I need add protein vs moisture.

What has been your staple hairstyle? Airdrying my hair in a bun. When I went to get my touchup she flat ironed my hair so I wore it straight for the weekend. EvERYONE was fawning over it asking me to give them tips. And I say if you arent willing to do what I did to get the results I got then you really dont want to know!!!!!!! Oh, and baggying every night. My staple style now is about to be braids.

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? Keep pushing on. I mean sometimes it seems like we dont make any progress but one morning you will wake up and not recognize the head of hair you got. Believe me it happened to me and I was in awe!!!!!!!!

None. It's pretty normal everyday life for me.

Nothing new. Just taking care of it and leaving it alone.

Buns and pin ups. I have found some really nice clips that makes it easy.

Stick with it. It can be done.

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? Being consistent with vitamins. I take my BioSil and MSM no matter what but I tend to slack on my B Complex and Multivitamin

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? My hair was still in braids the first 2 weeks of January but since it's been down, I make sure I'm giving it plenty of moisture. I mixed some distilled water, couple squirts of Hello Hydration and rosemary eo - my hair loves it. I mist it about 3 times a day because I sit under a space heater (cold natured). I've also started baggying my whole head at night (shower cap)so that I don't have to wet it every day (thanks Ms_Twana). Leaves it moist but not wet in the morning.

What has been your staple hairstyle? My stylist (Balisi), flat twisted the front and I 2 strand twisted the back. I undid all of the twists in the back and most in the front so now I have my first twistout (need to take a pic - so lazy). I'll go to her in another week and get it done again. Was thinking about a weave but I've cancelled that idea.

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? Be patient and don't continue to look at the calendar - counting the days! The first session will be over before you know it. Just do what works for your hair!

I'm glad to have the first 30 days out of the way...not all we have to do is repeat a few more times!

1) No direct heat had been my temptation!...I'm 2 months post with about 2 inches of NG (with a 4 month relaxer stretch goal) 2) No trimming - my ends are jacked-up and need a good trimming (probably an inch). I don't plan on trimming before the end of boot camp but that may be my down fall!...Both have been very challenging but since I've made it this far, I'm givin' it another go.

my hair really loves 1) the pre-poo treatments w/ coconut oil and jojoba oil 2) the deep condition treatments I've been using (but now that I have a sew-in, I'm washing less and now deep-condition with and braid spray my leave-in (to avoid build up between my cornrows) and 3) ORS olive oil moisturizing lotion 4) air drying is not so bad...I just needed to put a system in place 5) it's not necessary to comb my hair as much as I did in the past

I still need to learn how to do roller sets, so this is the next goal I'd like to accomplish by this summer

ETA What has been your staple hairstyle?
Baggy-n-Bun for the first 2 months, sew-in-weave until my next relaxer

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? don't give up...frustration is normal, but don't quit! Find another member to inspire you.

Sorry it's so long...but this has been great for my hair so far!

Well I ran out of vitamins, and had to wait until I had time to pick more up, so I missed a few days of taking them, but I've been back on the ball since Wednesday.

My hair really loves pre-poos.

I found 2 staple styles I love right now, a loose bun or 2 loose french braids into a single platt w/a cute clip on the end.

Consistency is the key, and even if you miss a day or two of your routine, don't let it take over the many days left to achieve whatever is waiting at the end of this road.

It has actually been fairly easy. I would say my biggest challenge has been stretching because I have so much NG and not cutting the ends.

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? That the NG is much more wavy with the vitamins, and it is in the shedding stage NOT the breaking stage. My hair is also very fine as far as the thickness of each strand (so I have to be careful with it).

What has been your staple hairstyle? A simple pin up and phony pony.

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? Just keep going, I know I am learning alot by just taking care of my hair now, and I look forward to seeing achievement in April.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying bootcamp, and having fun. The one thing that I'm really glad about is that I sorta started doing this regimen in Sept. Bootcamp helped me to fine tune it ...Here is my check-in:

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? Taking vits. There was a time when I took my vitamins daily with out fail for years, then I started falling off and before I knew it I wasn't taking them at all. In the last couple of years, after the AMA came out saying that those who took vits. daily were healthier in general and had fewer cases of many of the diseases that go along with aging I decided to start back, but of course life just got in the way.....I suppose I let it get in the way. Anyway I'm trying very hard to again take my vits daily.

Solution: Put my vitamins with my meds and take them all together.

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? To be honest, I've actually learned this over the last 60 days. I thought that heat was not bothering my hair, because I'm natural and only straightened 2 - 3 times a month. My hair was past shoulder length and seemed happy and healthy. It has only had heat once since Sept, no not during bootcamp,:p and has happily droped down to APL and is thicker. I now know that heat is not my hair's friend.:(

What has been your staple hairstyle? Three plait bun held together and hidden with a plastic claw. I really have to credit Chicoro for this style, its a modified version of her 5 plait bun.

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? It takes time to see results, and the results are not always what you expect or what you're shooting for. With good hair care they are always something you can be proud of. For example, you may be expecting added length and get added thickness and/or sheen instead.

I'm trying to treat my hair well, and let it decide what it wants to do as a result.

Alll of your check-ins so far have been great, keep them coming! I look forward to reading them all:D

Last edited:
brownsugarflyygirl said:

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? I am doing really fine but I will admit that I got the urge to flatiron and wear my hair down after I did my touch-up because I am happy with my progress but I did not wear my hair down or flatironed. I baggied my ends and bounced.

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? I haven't learned nothing new about my hair in the last 30 days. I know my hair loves water and NTM silk touch:)

What has been your staple hairstyle? My own hair lightly pulled into a ponytail with my ends baggied and then I place a bun cover over the baggie.

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? Stick it out and you will see results:)

Okay soldiers.....Its time to Check-In!

everything! vitmans/excurses! and food..

ii love proctive styles! but i already knew that

braids! I MN so it easier to do it..just a lil time consuming!

stay focesed! :)

:)

The low/no manipulation styles. I hate wearing my hair up. Also, I had a setback where two of my twist extensions took out some of my hair at my hairline, so now my temples are really thin.

My hair needs moisture all the time. I tried to go a few days without applying any moisturizer and my hair said :nono:

Kinky twist extensions

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? If you love your hair now, just imagine how lovely it will be at the end of this. The diligence will definitely pay off.

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? Not brushing my hair...I usually brush my hair when its in a ponytail...I used to use hard brushes before now I have a soft boar brush, I've brushed it back twice with the boar brush softly since the challenge started so I haven't been manipulating my hair.

Solution: Bought a boar brush.

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? Its really soft but fragile. I have always slept on satin pillowcases and used satin or silk scarves. But my hair gets tangled a lot, trying to find the right detangler. Only detangle when wet in shower. I just relaxed yesterday and my hair is longer than I thought it was. :)

What has been your staple hairstyle? Putting my hair in ponytail bun and having a 3/4 wig on top of it so my ends are moist. I wore it in a curly pony today but kept the ends moist and not touching clothes(had to have my hair out for personal care while doing lab practical in Nursing School).

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? Stick with it. It's really not that hard.

Heat, but Im trying

I learned that my hair is very easy to work with, doesn't really fuss.

Low bun

Keep ya head up

Back