LHCF Bootcamp - 30 Day Check-In

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp?
I haven't been able to find an all natural hair care routine that has been working for my hair, so my personal challenge has changed to creating an all natural routine for 2007.

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days?
It loves when I baggy. It is has been so soft!

What has been your staple hairstyle?
Braidouts

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers?
Ask for what you want and be prepared to get it.- Maya Angelou

Something sort of disturbing happened when I moisturized my twists today. When I woke up this morning my hair felt fine, soft and elastic. I figured I could put off moisturizing for another day because I didn't want product build up. Fast forward to this evening and my hair had totally dried out. I sprayed it with a mix of H20/EVOO/conditioner and proceeded to seal in the moisture with castor oil. As I was running the oil through a section of my hair about 20 hairs snapped off in my hand. A couple of the hairs were shed, but mostly it was breakage. I was shocked. My hair felt really brittle and I had to spray it down once more after I oiled it. It feels much better now. But I have to admit that seeing those broken off hairs really disturbed me. Has sudden excessive dryness happened to anyone else? Has it led to breakage immediately?

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? Finding a good stylist that will not cut or over process my hair

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days?My Hair Loves Moisture

What has been your staple hairstyle? Protective style sew in weave

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? Lets do it, we can make this work!

Lets hear from you ladies!!

This really has not been a big challenge. If anything it would be trying not purchasing products every time I go to the store.

My hair loves Aussie 5 min conditioner and the new Pantene Ice shine conditioner! Tried Henna and it loosen my curl pattern too much for my taste. So I’m not sure if Henna’s for me, I might give it another try next month.

I wear my hair in either a ponytail (see avatar) or bun.

If anything, just have patience - because the time is going come regardless, so you might as well have healthy beautiful hair at the end, instead of looking back and asking yourself “why didn’t I just stick with it?”.

Washing/rinsing my hair 3-4 times each week. In the summer I love doing this but it's not so fun in the winter. The frequent washing all messes up my hairstyle.

Solution
Mix a little Giovanni direct leave in with a few drops of peppermint and rosemary oil in a spray bottle and spray my hair with the mixture each night (sometimes in the morning as well). I deep condition once each week.

I can do kinky twist! I redid my hair -- taking each twist down and redoing it. It took me two weekends and a whole week to finish it :eek: :lol:, but it looked good and this past weekend I did my mom's (that took 12 hours).

Kinky twists. I've been wearing them since Dec. 10.

Don't beat your self up. If you fall off the bandwagon, brush yourself off and jump back on.:)

Well, after taking down my weave last month I decided to basically work only with my hair because I was getting more damage than anything. My biggest challenge was sticking to my vitamins. I stopped taking biotin and msm because it was making my booty waaay tooo big. I didn't change my eating habbits and my butt was growing more than my hair. Staying away from direct heat (curling iron and flat iron) Other than that everything is basically going well.

It is damaged but repairable...it loves castor oil

I've been leaving my hair out for the past month but keeping it off my shoulders by curling it with flexi rods.

Just stay committed. It may not seem as though you are progressing right now, but you will see the fruit of your labor soon enough. Be consistent but if something isn't working don't be afraid to change it.

Now that my hair is getting the longer, the temptation to use heat for easier styles.

Patience. I put time into it and it works so well. Washing, conditioning and detangling a slow and patient processes that have certainly benefited my hair.

The Puff and Phony Pony

Be patient and stick with what works for YOUR hair.

learning how to do protective styles. I have been wearing a phony pony for two weeks, I have breakage on my side not major but any breakage is a problem. I am thinking my hair is just not long enough on the sides to go up in a bun. so I have to wear it out until it gets longer. I been using IC gel and it works but evidently it was to tight or something.

My hair loves water and deep conditioning more then anything.
That I can't rush it, it will grow when it will grow. I put everything in there to speed up growth. Well this is what I learned, my hair only grows 1/4 and since I joined LHCF it now grows 1/2 an inch a month. I should be happy, I was hoping for that 1 inch a month but have yet to achieve it. At one point I did get 3/4 and now that I am using Cassies serum I am hoping in the next two weeks which will equal a month for me I will have gained that one inch. Also checking it every day doesn't help it just frustrates me and makes me feel as though I am wasting my time.

it was up in a phony pony but now its in a curly fro tied up with a band around it to keep it from trouching my shoulders. I have good shrinkage except in the back. The back is alien hair

You always remember how hard you worked to acheived your goals and even though theres great moments of frustration, there are alway great moments of achievement. My hair is longer then it has ever been in my life and I know it might take some time but eventually, I will reach my goal.

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? Finding a style that looks good everyday without the heat. Weaves are just not my thing. It looks good, but having to worry everyday about the health of my own hair is just a hassle.

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? I have learned that my hair needs moisture, moisture, moisture and a little protein too. Henna has become my new best friend; I will not do without it.

What has been your staple hairstyle? Right now, I’m in a sewn in weave, and I’m hating it. I’m so afraid that it’s going to cause damage to my own hair since it’s so delicate. I’ve only had it in three weeks, and I’m taking it out tonight. Besides, my new growth is coming in and it’s beginning to look bad in the front; getting very hard to blend without the heat.
I’m in search of a straight wig to wear instead of having a sewn in weave so that I can take it out and wash and condition my hair to the full maximum.
Prior to finding that wig, my staple hairstyle will be wearing phony ponies and buns. They are very easy to maintain and can be taken out at night so that I can better care for my hair.

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? Keep saying “I can do it, I can do it, I can do” and you will. I remind myself everyday that having long, healthy hair is within reach and, with that, I can see the light. Motivation and determination are the key to success.

brownsugarflyygirl said:
:orders: Okay soldiers.....Its time to Check-In!

My biggest challenge has been fighting the urge to cut it and staying consistent with the vitamins
My hair needs more moisture, I need to mositurize my ends twice a day
I wear it out and curly if I have a fresh rollerset. My sets lately haven't lasted to long so I keep it in an octopus clip
We can do it ladies, hair grows, we just gotta keep it on our heads.

ETA: We will be doing monthly check-ins but we will be do picture updates at the end of each session. Just FYI.:)

I am really trying to keep at it. I am getting a little impatient but once I get a hold of my regime and stop obessing to much, I know I will be okay.

For me it is that I stress about if my hair is growing any since my shrinkage is a pain in my BEHIND :mad: !! Minimizing the brushing (need to get a softer one)...Not playing in my hair as much!!

Moisturizing is really important!! And I need to find a regimen!!

Simple loose bun (use to pull back real tight), pulled back in a bear claw clip, or two french braids (worn as braid out a day or two before wash day)

Like everyone else, PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE!! Ater bootcamp you will be delighted that you stayed with it to the end!! ;)

brownsugarflyygirl said:

I have had the wildest urge to flatiron my hair. I know it's because I'm not suppoed to right now. Washing and DC'ing is not a problem because I do it every week.

My hair HATES mineral oil. It just makes it poofy and dry when I use a conditioner with that in there

A high ponytail with the ends tucked under. I do rollersets and pincurls too, but I always come back to a protective style in a few days.

Stick with it. By doing this I am thisclose to APL. I know it will pay off later.(and hopefully I'll be at BSL before the year's out!)

ETA: We will be doing monthly check-ins but we will be do picture updates at the end of each session. Just FYI.:)
KEEP GOIN' LADIES! ETA: I answered the questions within the quote

The biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp has been wanting to wear my hair straight.

I've learned the following:

no heat + no manipulation = thicker hair

My staple hairstyles have been buns for the weekdays and rollersets on the weekends.

Advice: Stick to the plan and understand that acheivement of the goal is a great reward. ;)

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? No challenges, it's been pretty easy sticking to bootcamp! :D

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? That it LOVES curl activator gel for moisture. :yep:

What has been your staple hairstyle? Loose bun secured with a bearclaw hair clip. :)

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? Keep up the good work!! DON'T QUIT!! Hang in there!!! :up:

There hasn't really been one. I'm just so excited to have a plan to stick to!

My hair loves moisture. Also, I am more patient with my hair now. I used to rip through it with any old kind of brush or comb. Now, I take my time and rarely, do I even comb my hair. I usually finger style and detangle on wash day.
I'm a bun gal. I've always kept it simple with my hair. I wear a bun through the week and maybe a braidout, puff or wash n go on the weekend.

Keep it simple and stick to your plan! :)

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? Not looking plain

Solution: I learned how to do Good!!! rollsets, bantu knots and those flexirods things.

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? It could be straightened without flat ironing.

Don't give up ladies. :)

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? Not using heat

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? Nothing new so far

What has been your staple hairstyle? Cornrowed or braided under a wig.

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? Hang in there

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? I've been feeling like I don't have a lot of styling options. My hair is still in a TWA, which is a completely new experience for me, and I'm still getting used to it. Also, I have really wanted to pull out the sedu.

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? I cannot go too long with only fingercombing. My hair is too thick for that. Ya. Twist outs look better than braid outs on my hair.

What has been your staple hairstyle? Wash and go

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? A year will go by regardless. How do you want your hair in that time, healthy (at the length you desire) or unhealthy and unchanged from where you are right now?

My biggest challenge has been not going to the dominicans :lol: .

I have learned that my hair does not like S-Curl

My main hairstye has been a bun

When it gets hard, and you want to give up, keep your eyes on the prize (long, healthy hair) :)

i haven't really had any...

it responds really well to yarn braids :yay: my hair looks much healthier than before.

now that they yarn braids are out, probably 2strand twists or box braids.

just stick with it ladies!! :D

Shedding, lots of shedding, and not knowing what to do to stop it.

I have learned that my problem area, my nape, really is not a problem if I moisturize it.

wash and put hair in a ponytail with a modified bun

The road might be rough but the reward will be great. Anything worthwhile is always hard to attain.

The guidelines are pretty close to what I do for my hair anyway. It’s been a challenge to stay away from the scissors, but keeping my hair pinned up helps me to forget about the uneven growth, for the most part.

That it loves henna. And lots of moisture. And that even though I want to stretch to 12+ weeks, if my hair is dry and breaking, relaxing at 10 weeks is okay, too. I relaxed two weeks early this go-round because my hair was really being uncooperative. All the stretching in the world wouldn’t do me any good if my progress was in the sink!

Thanks to SerenityBreeze’s example in the “What’s your favorite protective style?” thread, I have this really cute baggy bun going. The sides are gathered and covering the baggy… I bought a few pretty clips to jazz up the bun. Between that, my donut, and the lovely pinned-up twistout, I’ve been going strong.

Just keep it up, ladies!!! All our hard work will pay off in the end!!!

simpleDIVA said:
I stopped taking biotin and msm because it was making my booty waaay tooo big. I didn't change my eating habbits and my butt was growing more than my hair.

Wow...this is a side effect that I havent heard before...but I sure hope its true :lol: I take MSM but not biotin.

Great updates ladies....so inspiring! Yall are helping me to stay on track and I learned a trick or too to help me keep going.

Ladies that went MIA...welcome back :)

My twists are getting better. I've got a long long way to go, though. The hardest thing is no heat. Since I texlaxed, it is really hard not to be tempted to blow dry. ORS olive oil relaxer got my hair straiter than I'm used to. I wear 4 loosely done twists and I tuck the ends under. I wish the twists were more defined. I still have so much to learn.:ohwell: As for encouraging others, just stick with it the best u can.

Last edited:
What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? I haven't had any challenges so far.. Thank god.

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? I learned that my hair loves prepoo and deep conditioners 2x a week. Also, I learned that I have dandruff.

What has been your staple hairstyle? My staple styles are wigs and braids

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? We got this.... Everyone will love the results in april.. Just stick to it.

brownsugarflyygirl said:

What has been your biggest challenge in sticking to bootcamp? Trying to deal with this d*mn breakage!!!

What have you learned about your hair these past 30 days? That when my hair has too much protein it gets poofy

What has been your staple hairstyle? Bunning

What, if any, words of encouragement do you have for your fellow bootcampers? Hang in there because yesterday I felt like I wanted to quit but if I can make it through at least 1 session and a half then I am good

I am having such a hard time dealing with this I just hope I can make it through all three sessions. Right now I am leaning towards stopping after the first.

My ends. I broke the rule and had to trim. It looks ok, but not as bad. I already did my punishment :lol:

That my hair is so dang dry!!! It's been so cold here and I have to wear a hat so moisturizing and my dandruff is flaring up again because of the weather :mad:

I love wearing my usual bun :)

Stay true to your commitment to grow long hair if that's your desire

Back