letter on our wedding website....please assist

nychaelasymone

Hi Ladies,

You all give great advice and have been very helpful w/ etiquite advice. FH and I have a letter written but not posted on our wedding website yet. (I'm sure there are some gramatical things I've overlooked but n e way) I wanted to get some opinions on wording or find out if anyone would be offended if you saw this........

Dear Family and Friends,

ABC and I are so excited about our upcoming wedding and look forward to celebrating with everyone. It is a very special time in our lives and we are so honored to have friends and family to share in this moment with us.

We would truly love to invite everyone we know but due to space limitations we ask that you respectfully understand that each invitation is for the addressed person or persons only.

Additionally, if you have returned a response card confirming your attendance to the wedding and determine closer to the event that you or a member of your party is unable to attend, we ask that you please e-mail us at [email protected] or call us at xxx-xx-xxxx to inform us of this change. Unexpected situations do arise but we would like to minimize any potential food and financial loss due to guests who stated they would be attending and subsequently do not. We pray that you all receive this message with love.

ABC and I look forward to celebrating with everyone on Sunday, May 2, 2010 at 2:30PM!!!!!!

In peace with love,
The soon to be Mr. and Mrs. ABCs

I guess I'm a bit confused about the need to post such a letter. Anytime I've been invited to a wedding, I thought it was clear that the invitation was to the person who was invited and if it said "Liberationtheory and guest" then that's what it was.

I also don't think it's necessary to explain to people the reason why they need to let you know if things change. Instead, I verified with my guests the 2-3 weeks prior that they were still coming. Something as simple as "The time is coming near and I'm excited to see each of you. Please let me know if things have changed so that we can adjust accordingly."

I really do believe that if you need to "apologize" in advance and hope that the message is received with love, then there's a "knowing" somewhere that perhaps what you're saying could be seen as offensive and perhaps you should rethink if there's a different way you can achieve the same mission.

I totally understand your intentions but I'm not sure if all of that is necessary or will be received well.

hth

thank u for this comment....very good info. I'll truly admit that I'm not the most versed at true etiquite cause I'm the one who usually too blunt

I agree with liberationtheory. You will have to fill in the number of guests each person are allowed to bring. This is something you do by word of mouth. Get your parents and sibling so spread the word that the wedding is by invitation only. You may have to call people right before the wedding to make sure they are still coming if you are really concerned about head count.

Back