Let Me Be Great!

JustJade

I just read a funny comment about a hairstyle, and it got me thinking about some of the outlandish comments I've received, regarding my natural hair and the different styles. I wanted to share some with y'all, and I'd love to laugh over your experiences, if you have something funny!

Curly (twist out on wet hair leaves it shrunken a bit/wash n go): "Omg why did you cut your hair?!!"

Afro: "Can I touch it?! Pleeeease!!" This is if they even have the decency to ask. I say no, I'm not a petting zoo.
Or "its soooo fluffy! It looks like a cloud!"
"I wish my hair did that!"

Straight: "Is that really your hair? All of it?"
"I thought your hair was short! Did you get extensions or something?!"

The one I will never forget is from early on, I was in between TWA and a full Afro, when my best friend's mom told me my hair "looks like little worms!" Uhh, what?! It was in finger coils! I just blankly stared at her until she realized she said something really dumb.

I haven't heard anything hurtful (to my face anyway) but one time a guy did ask "why did you call her ma'am?" when a group of us were eating after church. The other guy said "because she is a woman! She is just rocking this super cool short hair!" This was after my second cut in 2012. You see these boobs and hear my voice?! Do I look or sound like a man to you? I think not!

Hahaha this natural hair can really trip people up. It's amusing to me, and if someone doesn't like it, I don't honestly care. My head, my hair, I'll do what I want. Your opinion is neither required nor desired. I receive more praise and compliments than negative reactions.

So, what about you? Any stories to share?

Last edited:
I have a golden one:
"Who will marry you now?" (After BC)

I just gave a blank stare.

When i big chopped. I shaved my head low...Someone told me i looked like a mentally challenged kid.

I calmly told them to get the ***. That was so rude, and disrespectful towards children that are actually mentally challenged.

Ugh! See... I have one of those "no words necessary" stares and will freely share them when warranted. I would've given those silent stares and walked away in either of your scenarios.

I don't understand the justification people think they have to make rude comments! Think what you want, but not everything should be spoken aloud. Just unnecessary. I agree, @LadyAmani, that is very disrespectful towards a child or anyone who is mentally challenged. I couldn't even fix my lips to say something like that to someone.

I have a golden one:

I just gave a blank stare.

QUOTE="overtherainbow, post: 21963919, member: 338599"]I have a golden one:

Shocking!....people can be such shallow busy-bodies!

When I was relaxed, I used to get the "Is it all yours" comment all the time. I wore either a braidout or a twistout to work one day and my friend (white girl) said "I love your hair, it's like... crimpy." (She also said Cookie was her spirit animal when she started watching Empire lol).

When i big chopped. I shaved my head low...Someone told me i looked like a mentally challenged kid.

I calmly told them to get the ***. That was so rude, and disrespectful towards children that are actually mentally challenged.

That is one of the craziest, rudest ****** things I've ever heard in my life. There's not even an gif, meme or emocon for that

At first I didn't know how to respond. I was speechless that someone would have the audacity to say something like that.

As I replied, I couldn't even fix my lips to say something like that to someone. I wouldn't know how to respond. Actually, my jaw might literally drop in shock. So out of line. People really need to think before they speak!!

When I was relaxed, I used to get the "Is it all yours" comment all the time. I wore either a braidout or a twistout to work one day and my friend (white girl) said "I love your hair, it's like... crimpy." (She also said Cookie was her spirit animal when she started watching Empire lol).

"It's like... Crimpy." Hahahah I can hear that in a "typical white girl" voice and it makes me laugh. I live in a majority white town, with majority white friends, in Texas. The comments they have about my hair are so funny to me sometimes. Comparisons too... Soft/fluffy like a cloud always makes me giggle. Cookie is a mess!! Taraji does an incredible job in her role as cookie. I love Empire! Took me a while to watch it because I never buy the hype, but now I understand.

Not gonna lie, the longer my hair gets, the more it seems to change its needs/responses... I always look at Anika's hair and think "I am going to get my hair cut!!" I am only 5'0", absolutely LOVED my hair after my big chop, and would love having very short hair again. I just need to see my hair at its fullest potential, so I'm growing it out. I had Halle Berry hair my sophomore year of high school and it was a deep red/brown color... Loved it then, too. I fight the urge to cut my hair and become a straight haired natural!

I was working with a white woman who weighs at least 450lbs she touched my hair back when I was natural and in a manner of disgust said "oh it feels like steel wool", its so coarse. I turned and said to her oh and you looks so much like a blue whale, she nearly died. Needless to say we never got along after that.

I remember when I first BC and I had a doctor appointment with this new gynecologist. The first thing that came out of his mouth was "Are you sexual active with men or women?" I too gave him the blank stare and I called and complained about his a$$ to the cows came home. Needless to say, they sent in a lady doctor. No more male gynecologist for me. I've never been asked that when I had long hair. I had on a full face of makeup and waves (going to the back) for days. I was so stunned! Black guys loved my hair!

I am pretty sure that white people associate short hair with Lesbianism. The next time I BC, I wore braids until I had at least shoulder length hair.

I agree with you JustJade with the statement below.........

People that have something negative to say should realize that their opinions are neither required nor desired.

Last edited:
Back