Last night wash was a disaster...

Thanks Ladies for all of your support. I am going to co wash tomorrow and depending on how it goes, I will co wash again Friday. I put some coconut and castor oil on my hair about 5 minutes ago and I can tell a difference all ready. I am going to just use my remaining alma powder to make some olive alma oil.

Thanks Ladies for all of your support. I am going to co wash tomorrow and depending on how it goes, I will co wash again Friday. I put some coconut and castor oil on my hair about 5 minutes ago and I can tell a difference all ready. I am going to just use my remaining alma powder to make some olive alma oil.
sorry u lost so much hair gym...how did ur cowash go?
I normally mix my amla powder in my DC( Africas best hair mayo+amla oil+lekair cholesterol+EVOO+ORS pak) and Apply to dry , finger detangled hair with no heat for 8hrs....rinse and apply my leave in....ive had no problems so far...hope ur hair is back to normal. ((((hugs))))

I used ORS replenishing with a little Aubrey Honeysuckle and Rose, that combo helped me last week with moisture so I used it again after this.

I don't know what is going on.:nono: My last henna was a disaster too and it usually works for me. My hair was acting funny for weeks afterwards. I think I lost more hair last night than I lost during my last henna session. I really want to try to just deep condition it again tonight but when I tried that with my last henna session, as soon as water touched it, my hair got hard all over again.

No, in my opinion, you need a more intensive moisturizing conditioner than ORS. ORS is full of cones and doesn't work as well as other treatments. I think it only makes a good Pre-poo, IMO. Here are my suggestions
http://www.hairsmystory.com/2007/08/getting-intense-with-deeep-conditioners.html

Last edited:
:imsorry: So sorry, gym. I agree with everyone else. Leave those powders alone. I had to toss mine to the side, too. Don't cut just yet. You know you can get your hair back in shape. Don't worry. It will work out for you. :yep:

If your hair is protein sensitive, it could be the tannin in the amla powder that made your hair hard. My hair is very protein sensitive, and I avoid all proteins for the most part. After speaking to my hair dresser about henna, she said ‘Please do not put henna in your protein sensitive hair!” :nono: Apparently, henna, amla, aloe are a tannin, that acts like protein on your hair, by binding to the cuticle. I had to have two inches of hair cut off last weekend, due to using aloe on my fine, thin hair. Apparently, it is an astringent and was drying my hair out. :wallbash:

Aww gymfreak I am sorry that happened to you!!!! Girl you better break out your pantene mask!!!!! :yawn:
The powders scare me too. I would stick with just those oils.

Aww man, ((((Gymfreak))) I'm so sorry this happened. My hair acted the same way after that ACV rinse from hell:nono:

:arrowup: She took the words right outta my mouth...didya try ol' trusty yet? Throw in a little castor oil and olive oil to it to make it extra slippy...let it marinate under a hot wet towel for a while too to help detangle.

HTH!

This is why I am afraid of the Indian hair regimen bandwagon. I tried henna & hated it. I washed for forever. My hair was not glowing, silky, & didn't become miraculously gorgeous after using it. I read those threads for months. Did everything right. I was not impressed at all for the work, mess, and dryness. I decided hey, at least I tried. I'm just gonna stick to what I know.

I wonder if a plain ole oil rinse with evoo and castor will make your hair feel soft again.

Do you have any dpr11? Something very moisturizing as a dry DC on your hair than follow with the oil rinse.

My plaits felt hard after my last 2 power tea rinses but my ends felt soft and good. The 1st time i don't think i rinsed long enough. the second though it was feeling some what back to not being hard i just got tried of rinsing.

Myself i would use a moist deep con than oil rinse.
Since when i did oil rinses it made my hair stay soft for days.

This is what i plan to do when i take out these plaits
Personally i spent to much money on those powders and oils to just let them be lol.

Gym I am so sorry to hear this happened to you. :( Remember my shikakai disaster 2 weeks ago? My hear broke in the back down to the new growth. But I tried it again. This is what I discovered. You should use a good water to powder ratio (i use 5 cups) and strain your tea. I now use 3 teaspoons of amla, 1/2 teaspoon of shikakai. This is the most important step. After leaving the tea on your hair for 5 mins, rinse your hair out with really hot water for at least 20-25 mins until your hair starts to soften up again. Then proceed to DC. I'm telling you it's made the biggest difference. My hair comes out soft and shiny and so strong. I haven't had any breakage since. I love the tea mixes and I will never go without it again. HTH

Gym I am so sorry to hear this happened to you. :( Remember my shikakai disaster 2 weeks ago? My hear broke in the back down to the new growth. But I tried it again. This is what I discovered. You should use a good water to powder ratio (i use 5 cups) and strain your tea. I now use 3 teaspoons of amla, 1/2 teaspoon of shikakai. This is the most important step. After leaving the tea on your hair for 5 mins, rinse your hair out with really hot water for at least 20-25 mins until your hair starts to soften up again. Then proceed to DC. I'm telling you it's made the biggest difference. My hair comes out soft and shiny and so strong. I haven't had any breakage since. I love the tea mixes and I will never go without it again. HTH

This sounds really good secretrose. I will have to try this technique with shikakai powder. Your progress is excellent, and you hair looks beautiful and very healthy!

*Update*

My cowash really didn't go well, still lost a lot of hair but my hair dried really shiney and smooth.

I have been using sulfur 8 on my scalp ever since the cowash.

Fastfoward to last night

I washed last night and I used a tiny bit of Nexxus Sleektress shampoo. It got my hair clean and to my surprise, my hair didn't turn hard.
I rinsed and deep conditioned with pantene mask. I rinse that out and my hair felt soft but not really detangled. I added a bit of HE Pin straight conditioner and the shower comb glided right through :yay: I added some leave in and roller set

My hair turned out GREAT and I think it is back to normal.

The funny thing is that the alma has helped my scalp. I haven't had any itches and even when I use sulfur 8, I get a few but the alma seems to have fixed that for the time being.

Thank you for all of your support and suggestions. Yall are really a priceless resource.

sorry u lost so much hair gym...how did ur cowash go?
I normally mix my amla powder in my DC( Africas best hair mayo+amla oil+lekair cholesterol+EVOO+ORS pak) and Apply to dry , finger detangled hair with no heat for 8hrs....rinse and apply my leave in....ive had no problems so far...hope ur hair is back to normal. ((((hugs))))

I have some of this...I will remember that. Thanks for the suggestion.

If your hair is protein sensitive, it could be the tannin in the amla powder that made your hair hard. My hair is very protein sensitive, and I avoid all proteins for the most part. After speaking to my hair dresser about henna, she said ‘Please do not put henna in your protein sensitive hair!” :nono: Apparently, henna, amla, aloe are a tannin, that acts like protein on your hair, by binding to the cuticle. I had to have two inches of hair cut off last weekend, due to using aloe on my fine, thin hair. Apparently, it is an astringent and was drying my hair out. :wallbash:

Tannin you say......That explains alot. Maybe that is why it works on my itchy scalp and not my hair.

Thanks Secretrose....I will try your recipe if I decide to try it again. I will wait until my next touch up though if I do.

Back