***Knockout Nape and Edges in 2010 Challenge***

How much of each do you use? Do you mix it with anything else? The peppermint oils I've seen come in very small bottles.

yes, with essential oils you MUST use a carrier oil (I guess I should have added that). I squeeze 3-5 drops of each into about a teaspoon of my Black & Bossie Hair & Scalp Oil. But u could use any oil you like; coconut, olive, or jojoba....etc....

I AM SOOOO IN THIS, I HAVE BEEN WAITING 4 THIS!!! PLEASE ADD ME IN!!! :yep:

Commitment Statement: (cut and paste)
“I will apply avocado/peppermint/black castor oil(s) to my nape & edges and massage my scalp for 5 mins (each) nightly. I will continue to protect my nape/edges and will continue bunning (with baggies) & flexirod setting.”
:yep:

So, what hairstyles are you ladies wearing?

I'm in a bun this week. I'd like to try out my new rollersetting dvd this weekend, but something tells me I'm still going to be in a bun. They are really growing on me.

I've also been wearing silk scarves around my neck a lot (when I wear clothes that match). I hope to build my arsenal of colors.

Is anyone wearing wigs? I've been french braiding under my wigs for low manipulation, but I dont want to cause damage to my edges and nape either

I would like to participate as well. I will post but I cannot guarantee that I can check in so often.

I am going to to try JBCO on my nape.

Great thread!

I will apply castor oil and water to my nape and temples and massage my scalp for 5minutes nightly. I will cornrow my nape/edges and will wear wigs.”

Attachments

• 101_3410.jpg
    101_3410.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 101_3408.jpg
    101_3408.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 101_3406.jpg
    101_3406.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 22
COUNT ME IN BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“I will apply megatek/bee mine/JBCO (either one; i have them all) to my edges and massage my scalp for 5 minutes nightly. I will leave out and/or be easy onmy edges when I do my half wigs, weaves, braids and other protective styling and I will be very gentle and treat my edges with all the TLC in the world and most of all I will be patient.”

Bring it on Edges!!!!! I'm ready for ya'!

I'm in!

I will apply castor oil and EVOO to my nape and edges and massage my scalp for 10 minutes nightly. I will protect my nape/edges and will cornrow my hair under a wig.

I will be adding my pics later!

I would like to join as well.

I will apply castor oil to my edges and nape and massage my scalp for 5 minutes nightly. I will wear a bonnet nightly to protect my nape/edges and will wear protectiive styles.

Hey Panamoni,

Please add me to this challenge, as well! I believe I'll be committing to the Castor Oil (and my trusty Rogaine) as these have really served me well in the past and I'd like to keep up with them! :yep:

I'll also do a 5mn scalp massage each evening along my edges and I'll leave those edges alone when I'm wearing my braids or twists. And I'll continue to do really loose twists along the hairline and avoid stressing my hairline when I wear my headscarves at night. I'll also commit to tying my head up each and every night.

EDIT: Oops, my commitments statement! (Pics to come)

“I will apply castor oil to my nape and massage my scalp for 5-10 mn nightly. I will wear a bonnet to protect my nape/edges and will wear fat twists and other protective styles”

Last edited:
2. Stimulate:
- Massage your scalp on the nape/edge area for 5, 10, or 15min. per night. Optional: Apply essential oils (peppermint, lavender, rosemary, thyme, cedar, etc.).

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly; but doesn't peppermint prohibit blood flow to the hair follicles and thereby inhibit hair growth? If I remember correctly, peppermint is a vasoconstrictor; the tingling sensation that we feel when we come in contact with peppermint is due to its vasoconstrictor properties, e.g. constricting the blood vessels.

If this is indeed the case, then applying peppermint oil to the scalp will definitely accomplish the opposite of what we ladies are looking to do on LHCF. Can someone let us know if this is the case?

Last edited:
I'm in..i'm recovering from major breakage..and the edges and nape are the most damaged parts...funny i actually starting doing this same exact thing this week and now there is a thread..

i have been applying an oil mix nightly on my edges and nape and every other day to the rest of my hair..i also add MN every other day to my oil mix for my nape and edges:

JBCO, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, tea tree oil, and two drops of alter ego cren...i hope the mix is working..way too early to tell

i also massage

i either use braid spray or ntm silk touch on my new growth and seal the hair w/ ors carrot oil

then i braid my nape and tie down my hair.. making sure the knot is on the side of my head..

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly; but doesn't peppermint prohibit blood flow to the hair follicles and thereby inhibit hair growth? If I remember correctly, peppermint is a vasoconstrictor; the tingling sensation that we feel when we come in contact with peppermint is due to its vasoconstrictor properties, e.g. constricting the blood vessels.

If this is indeed the case, then applying peppermint oil to the scalp will definitely accomplish the opposite of what we ladies are looking to do on LHCF. Can someone let us know if this is the case?

Hi AisianAfricanPrincess,
I've never heard this before about peppermint oil. Thanks for bringing the concern to our attention. I'm off to do some research...

Organic Facts - Health Benefits of Peppermint Oil
Hair Care: Peppermint oil is very useful for hair care as it gives a cooling effect to the head, and removes dandruff and lice.

How to Give Yourself a Scalp Massage
Use peppermint oil or rosemary oil if you are experiencing hair loss.

Benefits of Peppermint Oil for Hair
Lots of info...

Essential Oils for the Scalp
**Now this one does discuss the harmful effects of peppermint oil on the skin if it's not diluted with a base carrier oil.

^^ maybe this is what you were referring to? I'd really like to know more about any harmful effects you may be aware of. We don't want to do anything counterproductive.

Thanks again.

Panamoni

I'm down!!

“I will apply Castor Oil mink oil to my edgesand massage my scalp for 5-10 minutes nightly. I will sleep in a bonnet every night and will use ZERO heat, ZERO color, protective styling, and not braid too tight."

I have some thinning edges due to heredity and tension from pulling my hair back a lot. I'm going to work on not pulling it and not using a harsh brush on the edges. I really dont like the thinning

Here is an example of it:

DSCN2066-vi.jpg

You can see to the far right that the edges thin out, esp above the ear. Blech :wallbash:

Last edited:
I would also like to get in on this challenge, but I don't know if I will be able to comply with all of the challenge specifics. I will be applying profectiv temple and nape balm and massaging it whenever I get access to my edges, which will be about twice a week because my current protective style is a lace wig and I glue it to a band aid! I do not let any glue or tape touch my hair! I will be paying extra special attention in these areas because I suffer from a case of alopecia and I need to get committed to sticking to a regimine and see if there is any hope for my edges:blush:! I will wear a silk scarf or bonnett to bed and I will also get some JBCO to add to my massage therapy:yep:. I can check in at least weekly, but I will definitely stay posted. I will post some pics, but I would like to send the OP a pm with a pic that I don't really want to share right away.:blush: I currently have my hair cornrowed with loose braids around the edges, I washed my hair and did the aphogee 2 min recon. then giovanni smooth as silk moisture conditioner. I added my giovanni vitamin leave in spray and coconut oil to my hair, then braided. I then applied my synthetic lace front, but I am saving so I can buy an indian remy full stretchable lace wig. I will be putting more lace wig protective styling information on my blog at http://www.lacefora.com , I am also selling lace wigs and I can get very good prices for LHCF ladies.

Essential Oils for the Scalp
**Now this one does discuss the harmful effects of peppermint oil on the skin if it's not diluted with a base carrier oil.

^^ maybe this is what you were referring to? I'd really like to know more about any harmful effects you may be aware of. We don't want to do anything counterproductive.

Thanks again.

Panamoni

Hey Panamoni :) I googled "peppermint" and "vasoconstrictor" and a bunch of stuff came up about it narrowing the blood vessels. I used to place peppermint oil on my hairline to stimulate growth, but after a fellow LHCF member brought the vasoconstrictive properties of peppermint to my attention, I stopped using it. I think they recommend peppermint for massage for oxgenation? But I don't use it because it narrows the blood vessels (which is supposed to in turn inhibit growth).

I now use Rosemary. :) I hope that's helpful... :yep:

Hey Panamoni :) I googled "peppermint" and "vasoconstrictor" and a bunch of stuff came up about it narrowing the blood vessels. I used to place peppermint oil on my hairline to stimulate growth, but after a fellow LHCF member brought the vasoconstrictive properties of peppermint to my attention, I stopped using it. I think they recommend peppermint for massage for oxgenation? But I don't use it because it narrows the blood vessels (which is supposed to in turn inhibit growth).

I now use Rosemary. :) I hope that's helpful... :yep:

Thanks again. I googled peppermint and vasoconstrictor and, still found lots of info discussing stimulation but that it causes irritation if used in high concentrations. However, when googling vasoconstictor by itself, I did see that it means to tighten the blood vessels, etc. So, this is informative and I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Anyone who considers/uses peppermint oil, please be aware of the potential problems it may cause and be sure to research how to use it safely/if there's truly a way to do so.

I haven't purchased it yet, but I was planning to -- I love the scent of peppermint (and pretty much do not like any of the other essential oils), but hair health is most important. So, I'll do some additional resaerch before making the decision to purchase for sure.

I'm down!!

“I will apply Castor Oil mink oil to my edgesand massage my scalp for 5-10 minutes nightly. I will sleep in a bonnet every night and will use ZERO heat, ZERO color, protective styling, and not braid too tight."

I have some thinning edges due to heredity and tension from pulling my hair back a lot. I'm going to work on not pulling it and not using a harsh brush on the edges. I really dont like the thinning

Here is an example of it:

IMAG0029-vi.jpg

You can see to the far right that the edges thin out, esp above the ear. Blech :wallbash:

I love your earrings! I JUST bought some pink ones like that with light and darker pink.

please add me to this challenge. i messed up my edges due to wig clips this summer (grr!)

im impatient and i will try to do this 5 minute massage thing.

I will apply MT and my sulfur concoction. added sulfur, coconut oil, olive oil, wild growth oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, tea tree oil and this vitamin e gel i had. hopefully i have enough sulfur in it. i forgot to add mt but i'll add use mt on my scalp one night and the sulfur another.

i will try to put my bun in different positions.

So far I've been able to stick to the rules every night. But one thing I'm having problems with is the castor oil. It's pretty thick and I find myself having to wash more often than normal. Is anyone else having this problem?

Count me in.

I will apply ORS Fertilizing Serum/Castor Oil to my nape and temples and massage my scalp for 5 minutes nightly. I will wrap my head with my satin scarf to protect my nape/edges or sleep on a silk pillowcase and will use wigs without the combs and stretch my relaxers 13+ weeks.

Nape
092509_5.jpg

Left side
092809_2.jpg

Right Side
092809_1.jpg

hi all!!
i have been keeping my regimne!!! I have been applying my MN, coconut oil and moisturizing! i have been using my head wrap as a protecter when i sleep.

Hi Ladies,
I've been away for a while in Bermuda, so I've been slacking a little. But, I've been doing some things -- alternating parts weekly, bunning (not too tightly), applying castor oil (not massaging for about a week), etc.

Back