***Knockout Nape and Edges in 2010 Challenge***

Question: Is it important to oil and massage at night? Just wondering if it works better that way or if I could do it in the morning. After looking at my edges I probably should be asking if I can oil at night and in the morining! :lachen: I also want to add that I will not apply relaxer to my temple area that is practically bald. Here is my starting pic...

Attachments

• 100_0349.jpg
    100_0349.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 65
I am not in this challenge. But for massage I would recommend wahl massager with attachments.

http://www.amazon.com/2-Speed-ALL-B...ef=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1255050487&sr=8-4

I use this every night for about 5-10 minutes while I am watching tv. Usually I put MTG on my scalp and then dr. miracles on my nape front hairline. I don't have an issue with either but thickness would be nice. Plus I saw the miracle it did for one woman I saw who had very little edges for her they have filled in nicely. I had not seen her in a while so it was a nice shock and I asked her what she used.

Not sure how I missed this message, but thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
I am in too BUT with one added rule: I will make sure my diet includes sufficient protein, b vitamins and silica. This is important because BACK IN THE DAY when my diet included these nutrients I had NO problems with growing out nape. In fact it was super long. In recent years however I have had no success and ongoing broken nape in spite of doing everything OP noted. I have been really paying attention to protein for two months and my nape hair no longer breaks at the slightest touch. I just started this week with b vitamins (Brewer's Yeast) and silica to further strengthen hair and maximize growth.

So ladies, pay attention to your diet!!!!

You are right about the diet. I made sure I had eggs this morning, and am vigilent about having my morning shake. My nails are growing out of control (I think my hair too, but the shrinkage is serious).

Question: Is it important to oil and massage at night? Just wondering if it works better that way or if I could do it in the morning. After looking at my edges I probably should be asking if I can oil at night and in the morining! :lachen: I also want to add that I will not apply relaxer to my temple area that is practically bald. Here is my starting pic...

You know, I really have never heard/read that night massaging is better than morning. It's probably just most convenient for people. Morning only or both morning and night would likely work just as well. I think the stimulation is what's most important.

I was thinking about not applying relaxer to my nape either -- I think I'm just going to have my stylist apply the relaxer to that area last instead of first. HHG!!

I am in too BUT with one added rule: I will make sure my diet includes sufficient protein, b vitamins and silica. This is important because BACK IN THE DAY when my diet included these nutrients I had NO problems with growing out nape. In fact it was super long. In recent years however I have had no success and ongoing broken nape in spite of doing everything OP noted. I have been really paying attention to protein for two months and my nape hair no longer breaks at the slightest touch. I just started this week with b vitamins (Brewer's Yeast) and silica to further strengthen hair and maximize growth.

So ladies, pay attention to your diet!!!!
:yep: I was really up on my protein but I've been slacking for the past month and have noticed that my nails are definitely growing slower (and probably my hair, too). As part of this challenge and my holistic health, I will try to take in at least 70 g of protein every day.

Here are my starting pics:
Nape
IMAGE_732.jpg
Edges (don't mind the half wig:giggle: I was in a rush, maybe I'll re-take them)
IMAGE_737.jpg
IMAGE_735.jpg

:yep: I was really up on my protein but I've been slacking for the past month and have noticed that my nails are definitely growing slower (and probably my hair, too). As part of this challenge and my holistic health, I will try to take in at least 70 g of protein every day.

Here are my starting pics:
Nape
View attachment 44674
Edges (don't mind the half wig:giggle: I was in a rush, maybe I'll re-take them)
View attachment 44670
View attachment 44672

Is that a curly wig? :grin:

Please ADD me, my edges need help!

I will apply MegaTek to my Edges and massage my scalp for 5 mins nightly. I will wear a satin scarf to protect my edges and will use less heat & low manipulation.

I will post pics by december, I just installed a full weave.

DSC00084-vi.jpg

DSC00061-vi.jpg

DSC00062-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Can people who don't consider themselves to have problem nape/edges but want to commit to maintaining them join the challenge?

Yea to those incorporating protein into their diet! Don't forget lots of water to help your body deal with the protein and be careful not to overload since it will put too much stress on the digestive organs. Also, take b vitamins to really maximize growth and if you can find a way to stomach it, organic blackstrap molasses to keep or bring back color to you hair. (plus it helps soften stool and keep you regular)

I have tried every method/product under the sun to bring back my tresses. Changing my diet however is making my hair stronger, even the old hair somehow is benefitting. I can touch my nape hair now without it disintegrating. Unfortunately my starting pic from August got erased, but I took one this month. There has been significant growth. I still have a long way to go so it will still kind of be like a starting pic.

REMEMBER: No hair products in the world will help brittle damaged hair and/or slow growing hair if you are not eating the nutrients necessary to properly form the hair in the follicles and nourish hair as it grows. Just my 2 cents from my experience and research.

Can people who don't consider themselves to have problem nape/edges but want to commit to maintaining them join the challenge?

Of course. This challenge would provide great preventive measures with regard to the nape and edges to ensure they remain thick and healthy. Should I sign you up?? What are you going to do to make sure you're maintaining?

Yea to those incorporating protein into their diet! Don't forget lots of water to help your body deal with the protein and be careful not to overload since it will put too much stress on the digestive organs. Also, take b vitamins to really maximize growth and if you can find a way to stomach it, organic blackstrap molasses to keep or bring back color to you hair. (plus it helps soften stool and keep you regular)

I have tried every method/product under the sun to bring back my tresses. Changing my diet however is making my hair stronger, even the old hair somehow is benefitting. I can touch my nape hair now without it disintegrating. Unfortunately my starting pic from August got erased, but I took one this month. There has been significant growth. I still have a long way to go so it will still kind of be like a starting pic.

REMEMBER: No hair products in the world will help brittle damaged hair and/or slow growing hair if you are not eating the nutrients necessary to properly form the hair in the follicles and nourish hair as it grows. Just my 2 cents from my experience and research.

You're right about the diet. I've been letting mine slip lately, and I think having a healthy diet contributed to the growth I've had over the past few months. I have to get back on the wagon.

Don't forget to post that pic. I'm going to post mine after my relaxer this weekend.

I have certain areas around my hairline where I wear my glasses and sunglasses and the temples. Still working on those so yeah, I will do this also. I need to take pictures. This is going to be interesting. I don't have thinning anymore they have thickened up I just have short hairs in these places now.

Will be back shortly with pics.

A couple of tips for a healthy nape and healthy edges:
- Make sure your nails are manicured or filed so you don't snag when massaging
- Use silk/satin scarves to tie around the perimeter of your hair instead of headbands with combs or harsh materials

Too lazy to massage last night. Tonight, I'll double it up and massage for 20 min (while reading a book or watching tv).

I've been alternating between massaging and stritching. I need to get more satin pillowcases (only have 1 currently) bc my nape is still rubbing against my pillow even with my bonnet/scarf on. Come to think of it, I do have very long napes, might need to cut them...

Is that a curly wig? :grin:
:yep: It's Outre Quick Weave Polly. Here's a pic of it.

Here's the official pic but as you can see, it has actually has much more "hang" than pictured here.
thumbnail.aspx

I didn't forget!

I will apply OLIVE OIL to my NAPE AND EDGES and massage my scalp for 5 MINUTES nightly. I will CORNROW AND COVER my nape/edges and will ALTERNATE MY PARTS.”

Cut your nape? Wouldn't the satin pillowcase be better?

I've been alternating between massaging and stritching. I need to get more satin pillowcases (only have 1 currently) bc my nape is still rubbing against my pillow even with my bonnet/scarf on. Come to think of it, I do have very long napes, might need to cut them...

:yep: It's Outre Quick Weave Polly. Here's a pic of it.

Here's the official pic but as you can see, it has actually has much more "hang" than pictured here.
thumbnail.aspx

I will apply regenetress to my nape and edges and massage my scalp for 10 nightly. I will always tie a scarf around my nape/edges and will protective style with a wig.”

My first LHCF challenge:lick:

“I will apply MN, and wildgrowth light oil to my edges and massage my scalp for 5-10 mins nightly. I will gentle handle my nape/edges and will use low manipulation style for the rest of 2010. "

:sweet:

This sounds FUN!!:grin: Count me in!!!

Commitment Statement:
“I will apply MN and castor oil to my edges and nape and massage my scalp for 5 min nightly. I will use a silk bonnet to protect my nape/edges and will use braids as a protective style.”

I know this may raise some eyebrows but I will be putting braids in my haair. I have taken into DEEP consideration on how braids on yor edges can cause them to fall out if not done right!!!
This is y I have done extensive :bookworm: research on ways to protect and nurish your edges and nape while having braids:woot:!!

I look forward to keeping everyone in the challenge posted and growing some edges!!! I am new to LHC so I will have to figure out how to post my starting pic's!!!

hhg everyone!!!

My first challenge too:grin:

I will apply a mixture of oils (peppermint, coconut and rosemary) :lick:to my edges, nape and scalp daily and massage for 10mins nightly. I will use a silk scarf to protect my edges, (I might get a bonnet too):yep:

I think I am going to go the ayurvedic route. I am doing the moisture technique in the am and the evening.

I am going to make a tea of some of my powders to use in this area, put it in a small spray bottle and then use that to moisten my hair. I need determine which powders to make the tea from and then add some oil to that to keep it from getting mold or spoiling.

Will have this figured out by end of the week. I am doing twists right now and the front ones look very anorexic but the base of them are thicker. NOW the hard part....retaining that thickness and getting some length with that thickness.

I want in.. I haven't decided if I will use MTG or Castor Oil. Maybe I will alternate. I will message the nape for 5 mins daily.

Add me! I will use castor oil nightly! :)

I will apply regenetress to my nape and edges and massage my scalp for 10 nightly. I will always tie a scarf around my nape/edges and will protective style with a wig.”

I want in.. I haven't decided if I will use MTG or Castor Oil. Maybe I will alternate. I will message the nape for 5 mins daily.

I've added you guys. Looking forward to the journey together! :yep:

I think I am going to go the ayurvedic route. I am doing the moisture technique in the am and the evening.

I am going to make a tea of some of my powders to use in this area, put it in a small spray bottle and then use that to moisten my hair. I need determine which powders to make the tea from and then add some oil to that to keep it from getting mold or spoiling.

Will have this figured out by end of the week. I am doing twists right now and the front ones look very anorexic but the base of them are thicker. NOW the hard part....retaining that thickness and getting some length with that thickness.

I'm looking forward to your updates :yep:, because I may eventually want to try the ayurvedic method (way down the line).

My first LHCF challenge:lick:

“I will apply MN, and wildgrowth light oil to my edges and massage my scalp for 5-10 mins nightly. I will gentle handle my nape/edges and will use low manipulation style for the rest of 2010. "

:sweet:

This sounds FUN!!:grin: Count me in!!!

Commitment Statement:
“I will apply MN and castor oil to my edges and nape and massage my scalp for 5 min nightly. I will use a silk bonnet to protect my nape/edges and will use braids as a protective style.”

I know this may raise some eyebrows but I will be putting braids in my haair. I have taken into DEEP consideration on how braids on yor edges can cause them to fall out if not done right!!!
This is y I have done extensive :bookworm: research on ways to protect and nurish your edges and nape while having braids:woot:!!

I look forward to keeping everyone in the challenge posted and growing some edges!!! I am new to LHC so I will have to figure out how to post my starting pic's!!!

hhg everyone!!!

My first challenge too:grin:

I will apply a mixture of oils (peppermint, coconut and rosemary) :lick:to my edges, nape and scalp daily and massage for 10mins nightly. I will use a silk scarf to protect my edges, (I might get a bonnet too):yep:

Welcome to LHCF and your first challenge :welcome2:. Don't forget to post your updates along the way.

Speaking of updates, I finally took the starting pics, but I'm in computer limbo currently so won't be able to post them for a little while. I took a small hiatus from massaging my nape because it seemed "untouchable" after my retouch -- not sore, just thin. So, I put castor oil on it almost every night. It's ready for me to start massaging again. By the way, I had the relaxer applied last during my last relaxer, which I think was helpful and will make sure to do going forward.

Back