***Knockout Nape and Edges in 2010 Challenge***

i would LOVE to obtain the goals in this challenge!!!

thank you for making it!!!

but, my edges are about 7 inches behind the rest of my hair:cry3:!!!

i'm doing everything i can to help that area, but do any of you really think there is ANY hope of those lengths catching up? ever?:ohwell:

thanks, again....:perplexed

There's definitely hope. I wish I would have bookmarked every time someone showed their progress in this area.

In the first post of this thread, I posted links to a few people: Starronda, Neith, Irresistible, MD Lady, who have grown their edges or nape, and there are many more. I think for me, the key is going to be consistently taking care of my problem area, from the products, to the clothing/scarves that may get near it. If I'm not consistent, my problem will remain, and I'll think there's nothing I can do.

It's worth a shot -- you might as well work at it for a period of time and see what can happen. Good luck!

There's definitely hope. I wish I would have bookmarked every time someone showed their progress in this area.

In the first post of this thread, I posted links to a few people: Starronda, Neith, Irresistible, MD Lady, who have grown their edges or nape, and there are many more. I think for me, the key is going to be consistently taking care of my problem area, from the products, to the clothing/scarves that may get near it. If I'm not consistent, my problem will remain, and I'll think there's nothing I can do.

It's worth a shot -- you might as well work at it for a period of time and see what can happen. Good luck!

THANK YOU PANAMONI!!!:littleang
I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP AND THE HOPE YOU'VE GIVEN ME!!!:):urock:
I'M GOING TO FIND THOSE POSTS AND CHECK OUT THOSE LINKS!

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!

I have fallen off the wagon! And, from the looks of the thread, so have you :grin:. Well, we can all get back on. March is coming quickly, and we'll want to post update picks around March 15-April 1. So, keep massaging, moisturizing, protecting....

Back on the wagon again I go tonight.

I am thinking of adding Nioxin Follicle Booster or the Joico Clinicure system to my edges and nape reggie. Does anyone have any experience with either of these 2 systems/

Many thanks in advance ladies!

I am thinking of adding Nioxin Follicle Booster or the Joico Clinicure system to my edges and nape reggie. Does anyone have any experience with either of these 2 systems/

Many thanks in advance ladies!

Hi Stellagirl! i don't have any direct experience with those products but i've always heard the ladies raving about the Nioxin products. let us know how it's going.....

Hi Panamoni! you got us all going on this wonderful adventure, which i for one, believed was hopeless until i read those ladies stories you sent!
now i've got all those essential oils in my castor oil and am faithfully applying it every single day!
if it hadn't been for what you did, i may have just given up to the idea living with nearly bald edges with long hair everywhere else....imagine that!:nono: NOT a pretty picture...especially if the wind blows!:lachen:

so i'm saying this because PANAMONI stick with it sister!!!
united we stand divided we fall.....

i was surprised to come back after almost a week of trying what those ladies suggested and finding so few posts...:perplexed

there must be more ladies who have this problem, and those already participating can also chime in....or simply "bump" (i'm kinda new so i don't know much about that bumping thing....)

one thing is for sure, if we aren't consistently doing SOMETHING/ANYTHING for our napes and edges, it's never gonna change.

THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS, PANAMONI!!!!! :grin:

Massage my nape and edges with tea tree oil and castor oil this morning.

The next time I wash my braids I'm going to exfoliate my scalp with baking soda. Hopefully, this will thoroughly cleanse my scalp and open my mores to increase some growth. I watched a YT vid this morning where a young lady did this to grow back her edges. I would say it is essentially the same concept as the ORS Scalp Scrub.

Does anyone else exfoliate their scalp? And if so, how often are you doing this?

Checking in,
For the past two weekends I have been massaging profectiv, megatek and JBCO into my nape and edges. I decided to incorporate my MN mixture again for this month since it is short and I put a little bit of megatek to that MN mixture for more boost. I will see how that goes...I also massage neosporin to my problem areas which has been my hairline as of late because of my lace wigs. I am in the braid challenge as well so my hair is still braided and moisturized underneath my wigs and I am getting better at applying the full lace wig, I get a whole week of wear easy with my current method. I am determined to grow my nape and edges so I am sure to take it off on the weekends and massage:yep:. I am seeing some progress and I wish I could find pictures of my edges a few years ago so I can keep an accurate record of the growth progression:wink2:. I am also glad that the OP started this challenge:goodone: , because it keeps me conscious of my hair and my hair goals!

LADIES, I JUST READ SOMWHERE WHERE SOMEONE SAID THAT WRAPPING AT NIGHT COULD RUIN NAPE AND EDGES:blush:

HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD OF THAT??!

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR IDEAS SEEING AS HOW, YES, I WRAP EVERY SINGLE NIGHT....:blush::perplexed

THANK YOU!!!:grin:

LADIES, I JUST READ SOMWHERE WHERE SOMEONE SAID THAT WRAPPING AT NIGHT COULD RUIN NAPE AND EDGES:blush:

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR IDEAS SEEING AS HOW, YES, I WRAP EVERY SINGLE NIGHT....:blush::perplexed

Yes, it has been mentioned here before. Just make sure you alternate directions frequently. Also, when you wrap do you use a comb and/or brush? Do you position the rest of the hair over the nape and edges or not leaving them exposed and combing and/or brushing them. I believe this is part of the problem that exist with the wrapping technique.

Yes, it has been mentioned here before. Just make sure you alternate directions frequently. Also, when you wrap do you use a comb and/or brush? Do you position the rest of the hair over the nape and edges or not leaving them exposed and combing and/or brushing them. I believe this is part of the problem that exist with the wrapping technique.

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING AMWCAH!
I HOPE OTHER MEMBERS WILL CHIME IN, TOO!

i also thank you for pointing out that it was mentioned here....either i read it but didn't digest what it meant or the concept got lost somewhere in the 29 pages of this thread! lol!

i had been using a brush, but since i've noticed some breakage (yes, even the already delicate edges and nape parts were in the sink), i started using only a comb.

but the part about leaving the hair over the nape and edges.....nope, that only happens in the front where my bangs are, that's where my hair overlaps....is that ok or am i damaging another weak area?

btw, if the edges and nape ARE NOT supposed to be covered with the wrapped hair (and i don't understand if it is or isn't), wouldn't not covering those areas result in a "conehead" type of effect?

i've never had one professionally done because this concept has not arrived to italy yet...

i'm so baffled about this wrapping thing (that i just now am starting to "digest"), that i don't think i'm even gonna do it tonight...i'll just leave it all out until i understand this better.

Grow,

First, Thanks for the encouragement and love. We must stay consistent so we can see progress. Make sure you take pictures. Sometimes I think there's a mental block stopping me from doing my nightly ritual....so I need to banish that right now.

Yes, wrapping can definitely affect the nape and edges. That's why it's recommended that people who wrap alternate sides each night. Also, don't allow the knot from the scarf to be tight on the nape. Also, some have recommended doing the crosswrap.

Since I've started bunning, I don't need to wrap in the traditional sense anymore, so I kind of leave my hair hanging down inside of the scarf. There's also something called the Snood or something that helps this.

Do a search on "how wearing hair at night" or something like that. A lot of people have satin pillowcases and don't wrap anymore at all, and I've read about the "burrito wrap". Many have given up the traditional wrap for other methods that allow the hair to stay straight.

Changing the way you wrap is essention for this challenge if you're doing it in a way that might harm you. Did you complete a committment statement (copy and paste from the 1st post in this thread)?

OK! HHG! Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be checking in about how discipline I was tonight...

Last edited:
Grow,

First, Thanks for the encouragement and love. We must stay consistent so we can see progress. Make sure you take pictures. Sometimes I think there's a mental block stopping me from doing my nightly ritual....so I need to banish that right now.

Yes, wrapping can definitely affect the nape and edges. That's why it's recommended that people who wrap alternate sides each night. Also, don't allow the knot from the scarf to be tight on the nape. Also, some have recommended doing the crosswrap.

Since I've started bunning, I don't need to wrap in the traditional sense anymore, so I kind of leave my hair hanging down inside of the scarf. There's also something called the Snood or something that helps this.

Do a search on "how wearing hair at night" or something like that. A lot of people have satin pillowcases and don't wrap anymore at all, and I've read about the "burrito wrap". Many have given up the traditional wrap for other methods that allow the hair to stay straight.

Changing the way you wrap is essention for this challenge if you're doing it in a way that might harm you. Did you complete a committment statement (copy and paste from the 1st post in this thread)?

OK! HHG! Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be checking in about how discipline I was tonight...

no, thank YOU, PANAMONI for starting this thread! i might never have even given a thought to this "problem", much less been on the road for a solution without it!:yep:

i've done the search and started reading alot...i even tried the crosswrap, tho i don't think it's right for me who wants to keep a straight look :ohwell:...i can work well if i'm just doing a pc, though...

i've never heard of a "burito wrap":rolleyes:! sounds yummy and interesting...thanks for the heads up....i will look that up, too!

but what you wrote about those who have given up the traditional wrap but still maintain straight hair absolutely baffles me:perplexed....how can that be done? hopefully others will chime in with their experience, as well!:grin:

i don't remember if i did the committment statement, but am going to check that out, too!:yep:

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!:grin:

AND I AM SOOOOO GLAD TO KNOW YOU ARE BACK IN THE SWING OF THINGS!!! :grin::grin::grin:
i'm looking forward to reading your check in and those of all our lhcf sistas!!!

HHG LADIES!!!:grin:

Panamoni, hun i noticed you are in the MEGATEK CHALLENGE!

i just got some of that today.

is that alright for our edges and nape?

THANKS ALOT!!!

THANKS ALOT!!!

i use to use it on mine ran out thoughmost people concentrate on their scalp since it is a strong protien and lightly massage in i dilute mine with water so i can use a color applicator bottle to get to my scalp i am wearin a net weave for the weave challenge HTH

i have wrapped for years i am bsl and so do these ladies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaJWzDeNRw4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftLyj29Gb8M

AND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L41HHj4gro

i pay special ATTENTION to my nape and edges and over moisturize just the very front and back befor wrapping

Do not tie the scarf to tight I tie scarf or net then bonnet OR satin/silk pillowcase

THANK YOU, CAMILLA!!! :littleang

WHERE HAS THE THANKS ICON AT THE BOTTOM OF POSTS DISAPPEARED TO?! ANYBODY ELSE NOTICE THAT IT'S NOW GONE?!:rolleyes::sad:

i use to use it on mine ran out thoughmost people concentrate on their scalp since it is a strong protien and lightly massage in i dilute mine with water so i can use a color applicator bottle to get to my scalp i am wearin a net weave for the weave challenge HTH

CAMILLA, YOU ARE A DOLL!!! i read where some lady was saying it broke her hair off, so your suggestion to DILUTE MEGA TEK, is a great help to many!

THANK YOU!!!:littleang

Well, I had a SETBACK in my nape :(

I had been wearing box braids for about 2 weeks now, and during this time my nape felt a bit wierd, so I have been making sure i moisturized the area 2x a day. I also made sure when i braided it, it wasn't tight at all.....

Well...:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I just so happen to grab a mirror and look back there and my nape has bald spots at the very very bottom (thank goodness) from left to right.

I took the last row of braids out, gave my self little twists on the hair that is left and now im going to just use castor oil only on the area. The hair that is left is still strong so maybe I will just cornrow it and keep applying my JBCO??

at least only the bottom row of braids were affected

THANKS ALOT!!!
Yes, it's definitely ok for our nape and edges (if you're not too sensitive to protein -- my hair likes protein). I put the Megatek in a color applicator bottle, and part and apply to my entire scalp approx. 3 times a week. I massage JBCO on my nape and edges more often (goal is nightly, but I do what I can). My plan is to add peppermint oil and maybe rosemary to the JBCO.

Well, I had a SETBACK in my nape :(

I had been wearing box braids for about 2 weeks now, and during this time my nape felt a bit wierd, so I have been making sure i moisturized the area 2x a day. I also made sure when i braided it, it wasn't tight at all.....

Well...:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I just so happen to grab a mirror and look back there and my nape has bald spots at the very very bottom (thank goodness) from left to right.

I took the last row of braids out, gave my self little twists on the hair that is left and now im going to just use castor oil only on the area. The hair that is left is still strong so maybe I will just cornrow it and keep applying my JBCO??

at least only the bottom row of braids were affected

I'm so sorry to hear about your setback. Not sure if the strands are thinner/ weaker or if the short hairs can't take the pressure. The same thing happened to me after my last relaxer in January even though I had my stylist do the nape area last. So, my goal is to take babying my nape to a new level, and for the next year, not relax that area at all. Let's keep at it. I hope you can bounce back and not give up.

I'm so sorry to hear about your setback. Not sure if the strands are thinner/ weaker or if the short hairs can't take the pressure. The same thing happened to me after my last relaxer in January even though I had my stylist do the nape area last. So, my goal is to take babying my nape to a new level, and for the next year, not relax that area at all. Let's keep at it. I hope you can bounce back and not give up.

Thats probably what it is. Its funny because before I started my HHJ I wore braids for 14 years straight with no problem. Now that I am taking better care of my hair it seems like i cant do individuals now...:perplexed

Oh well, I think it might be better to take them out. Lord knows I don't want bald spots throughout my head. :nono:

Thats probably what it is. Its funny because before I started my HHJ I wore braids for 14 years straight with no problem. Now that I am taking better care of my hair it seems like i cant do individuals now...:perplexed

Oh well, I think it might be better to take them out. Lord knows I don't want bald spots throughout my head. :nono:

Hi CherieMarie! i'm sad to hear of this setback, too.

i think what you will find if you stay consistent with the jbco, is that those damaged areas will heal.
i, too, am learning to really baby and pamper those delicate patches and i monitor them daily.
i also massage my scalp in those areas to help the circulation of oxygen to them.
i hope you see healing with your continued practice (and patience) soon!

just put the overnight jbco treatment on and will wash it out tomorrow cuz it's also with my dc.
then during the week, i'll continue lighter applications of jbco regularly.

^^^^^^^^ You're right, I meant to add Kami as an inspiration to the first thread. Anyway, Thanks for posting a pic!

I'm massaging with JBCO nightly also. I was sick for a few days so couldn't do anything, but I'm back.

Back