KMS Flat Out Relaxing Balm - Product Review

AZJeepgurl

Ok, this is going to seem like a really whiny post...and it will be. /images/graemlins/baby2.gif
First off, it figures that the month that I change my AOL pricing plan to 5 hours for $9.95 and $2.95 every hour after that, I would find a site like this. I have already been online for 906 minutes this month and we're not even halfway through the month yet.AUGH!!!!!! All cause of this Nifty little hair forum /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now, as I whined in Sweetcocoa's post (the one about updating her gorgeous hair pics), I decided to get off my PJ high horse and buy one more "necessary" item. KMS Flatout Relaxing Balm.

See, I've gone longer than ever without a touchup (21 weeks to be exact...I know, I know, it's really a wonder there is still hair on my head). And if I can find a balm or whatever to tame my 4a new growth, I would be ready to cut off all my relaxed hair tomorrow. (Well, not really but it sounded good, didnt it?)

Anyhoo, I found Sweetcocoa's beloved KMS balm at Ulta Cosmetics for a whopping $17.98 for 6 oz. (If there was a gremlin for someone fainting, it would be inserted here).

Ok, so I bought it a few hours ago. And I've decided NOT to use it until I get somebody's feedback on this product besides Sweetcocoa's (nothin but love for ya).

Someone, Anyone, Pleeeeeeease tell me it is worth every penny I spent. Please tell me that my hair-life will be filled with wonderful non-relaxed days of bliss because of this stuff. I implore anyone to give me their honest and heartfelt opinion of this product a.s.a.p.

Cause if I break down and use it tonight, it's all over. No refund. No sir, that puppy's mine till it's 6 little short ounces are all used up.

HELP!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif
Tammi

Hi AZJeepgurl,

I too use KMS Flat Out Relaxing Balm. It is my staple product that get's my natural hair straight as if I have a relaxer. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It is the best thing I have used for blow drying and protecting my hair. Caution though: Since it has cones in it, you can get a build up and it will make your hair look ashy. Not a problem because on the forth week, I use a clarifying shampoo. It's an excellent product /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi in my continuing "quest" for a "safe" relaxer, I came upon their website -- http://www.kmshaircare.com. Is it a lye-based relaxer? I have written KMS to ask what the ph level of the product was....Thanks for sharing your experiences, Ladies...

Ah.....perfect! Thanks, Hairfanatic. Hmmmm...but I never blow dry. I know SweetCocoa says she uses it with a roller set.
I'm pretty lazy when it comes to wet sets. So the key to the product working may be in "stretching" the hair somehow and then using heat?!!!

Ok, Ok....thanks for your response!

Anyone else?
/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Cynamon: It's not a real relaxer. "Non-chemical" relaxer reads the product description. I think it's supposed to be the closest you can come to straightening your curls without actually using a chemical. Wonder what the PH of this stuff is?

But there are "cones" up the wazoo! And some nice little botanicals added for effect!

Thanks for digging up that website. I tried to get on last night and my computer fell asleep like twice! /images/graemlins/yawn.gif

Did you get a load of the price tag, though?LOL

AZjeepgurl, I replied to you in my thread(in more detail). Like Hairfantic said it can leave you hair with a coating..that's why I use my pomade(or whatever you want to use first...then wrap my hair). I use it with and without heat...but heat works best. If you wrap, just get back under the hairdryer for about 10-15 minutes.

Unfortunately for me I never like it AT ALL
This should go on the confessions thread but:

Sweetcocoa I have the products pakaged with your name on it and haven't sent them /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif **runs away and hides**
I even wondered today if you still use them.

It did nothing for my hair and really was a waste for me. try it and see, everyone responds differently to different products. Good Luck.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Hmmmm...but I never blow dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi AZJeepgurl,

I forgot to mention that I blow dry on COLD. It's never hot and I don't have hardly any breakage. Even with the cold air from the blow dryer my hair still gets straight. I have also just let my hair air dry and followed with a curling iron. It still came out nice. I use my blow dryer to basically make sure the roots of my hair is straighter so when I press with the curling iron, I'm not stretching the hair to where it starts to break.

Londondiva...I still want them(I'm almost out..). Let me know if you need my address again... /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Ladies, thank you all very much for advice/experiences. I'm as excited now as I was before I saw that price tag..lol.

London, you are correct, everyone's hair responds differently so I will try and then post my results later. (Oh geez, I hope I don't have the same non-reaction. YIKES!) /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sweetcocoa: I think I saw your pomade on the products forum. I will leave out the amla since I don't know what it is and hence should not spend another unecessary dime. You know as a former PJ, I am always recovering and all it takes is one or two products to set me back. LOL /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hairfanatic: Cold air, huh? My hair dryer if I could ever find it has no attachment (lost the comb long time ago). But if I decide to go completely natural, believe me, I will be buying another one. Thanks! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dang, I knew I should have never peeked in this thread, now I'm going to go out and buy KMS flat out and try it on my natural hair. Curses!!!!! /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

sweetcocoa said:
Londondiva...I still want them(I'm almost out..). Let me know if you need my address again... /images/graemlins/clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweetcocoa

Girl I don't think you understand, It's packaged address an all!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gifLOL I hope you haven't moved address though since you gave it to me. I'm such a procrastinater, /images/graemlins/wallbash.gifbut I'm getting better I swear. I'm sure it's been like a year since I said I was going to send the stuff. **shakes head** I'm so ashamed, so so ashamed.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm still at the same address.... /images/graemlins/smile.gif So when you get a chance ...no hurry.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif....
/images/graemlins/band2.gif

is this product similar to that Straight Effects stuff by Lustrasilk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Tonya,

Not to me. That stuff made my hair very dry. The KMS seems to keep the moisture in and make my hair soft. Sometimes it's hard to say because everyone's hair reacts differently to different products. The only thing I can say is try it.

AZ--yes I did catch the price -- $44??? I tried e-mailing them to ask re: the PH &amp; I'll let u know what they said. What are "cones"? I am definitely in search for a good non-chemical relaxer: tried Bodiphier but it didn't get the back of my hair straight enough and now I'm going thru a "hair nightmare" ...

AZ--yes I did catch the price -- $44??? I tried e-mailing them to ask re: the PH &amp; I'll let u know what they said. What are "cones"? I am definitely in search for a good non-chemical relaxer: tried Bodiphier but it didn't get the back of my hair straight enough and now I'm going thru a "hair nightmare" ...

Is that relaxing balm for people that already have a chemical relaxer in their hair. I mean can this be used to extend relaxers without causing any damage?

moni said:
Is that relaxing balm for people that already have a chemical relaxer in their hair. I mean can this be used to extend relaxers without causing any damage?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not really a relaxer as we know it...it's more like a straightening serum to help your hair dry straighter and frizz free.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm not gonna say anything. I will let you know when I post it. I know when I'm going to post it, but I won't say because then it will be another year. So I'll just surprise you and myself /images/graemlins/angel.gif

msladymam said:
Dang, I knew I should have never peeked in this thread, now I'm going to go out and buy KMS flat out and try it on my natural hair. Curses!!!!! /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...Sorry, girl! Welcome to the life of a recovering PJ!
/images/graemlins/newbie.gif

CynamonKis said:
AZ--how long does the "relaxed" look last for you after using the KMS Relaxing balm?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...two days and I still haven't even used it yet, CynamonKis!
SweetCocoa and Hairfanatic are the KMS experts here. And Londondiva didn't like it. So beware it's not for everyone!

$44, Cynamon?????!!! Hey, I only paid $17.98 for 6 oz. I would start small to make sure it works for you.

I re-apply it at night /images/graemlins/sleeping.gif after I oil my ends then wrap. It'll stay that way for me as long as it's not humid or I have been exercising.

Re: KMS Flat Out Relaxing Balm - PH LEVEL

I e-mailed KMS Haircare to see what the PH level in their KMS Flat out Relaxing Balm was. Here was their reply:

Good Afternoon,

&gt; The pH is in the neutral area around 6.5-7.0. It cannot be specifically
&gt; defined in this product because pH is a measure of the hydrogen ion
&gt; concentration of a substance and the ingredients comprising FO Balm do not
&gt; have enough hydrogen atoms to accurately measure with a pH meter.
KMS Haircare
/images/graemlins/bouncy.gif

Great detective work, Cynamonkis! /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif
Hmmm...I think hair's PH is between 4 and 6, yes? Therefore, KMS would rate a little high but not nearly as high as Relaxers.

Sweetcocoa: So what you're saying is that the relaxing balm has pretty the same results as pressing without all the damage? Cause sweating is what I do best and if my hair is going to revert back after exercise or God forbid on a hot, Arizona summer day /images/graemlins/shocked.gif, there may be no point for me really.

Ah, that endless quest for a miracle in a bottle! Sigh!

Thanks for all the insight. Since I have it, I will try it and report back on my results.

CynamonKis said:
What are "cones"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry forgot to address your question. I don't remember what they do: make your hair easier to detangle, shiny????

But they are ingredients with "con" in them: Cyclomethicone, dimethiconol, dimethicone, phenyl trimethicone are the cones in this product. There's a research project for you...lol /images/graemlins/bookworm.gif

Yep...it's basically a balm to make your hair dry straighter with less frizz...it looks like a serum(like Frizz-ease) but works better than that stuff. /images/graemlins/down.gif

Londondiva--how did it (KMS) compare to Bodiphier as far as straightening?

AZ--thank you! I was on a mission...

Sweetcocoa--please let me know what u find out when u try it...I thought it was just a less-damaging relaxer

Re: KMS Flat Out Relaxing Balm - My Review

To my sister's in hair growth:

Jury's still out, Ladies! I finally used the balm with a roller set. I followed Sweetcocoa's rule of not towel-drying the hair before inserting the rollers.

I will not make this my final review because there's always a trial and error process when trying new products.

Now remember: I am at week 21 with no touch up! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

1. I washed with Creme of Nature for dry hair

2. I lightly towel-dried and applied my Keracare Humecto conditioner adding about 1 tablespoon of Jojoba oil to the hair and massaging it in.

3. I put a plastic cap on my head and sat under my hooded, salon dryer for 30 minutes.

4. Washed out the conditioner and left my hair soaking wet

5. I applied the KMS to my roots and immediately began rolling my hair, stretching the hair on the rollers as tight as I could get it.

6. Sat under dryer for one hour.

Side note: I have VERY thick hair! So one hour is definitely not long enough for me to sit under the dryer but it was all I could tolerate that evening.

My roots were ever so slightly damp when I removed the rollers, hence, not quite the desired result I'd hoped for.

But one thing I'd like to stress here is that the curl pattern was definitely loosened and the new growth felt softer. Now whether or not the loosened curl pattern was from the KMS or stretching out the new growth on a roller, I don't yet know. I hate roller setting my hair but I will try again without the balm to see if the results vary.

Result: It did not straighten my hair as straight as my relaxed hair. Not even close. But as I mentioned above, the new growth was softer.

But never fear, I will try and try again until the bottle is done and find the way that works for me.

I know Sweetcocoa wraps her hair, but as I mentioned mine is way too thick and it is waaaaaaayyy to much work for my puny little arms to attempt when I'm this far into needing a relaxer.

I give this product (out of a possible 4 happy heads): /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif
HTH,
Tammi
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back