KMS Flat Out Relaxing Balm - Product Review

Re: KMS Flat Out Relaxing Balm - My Review

Tammi:

First of all, here's an applause for stepping out there and TRYING the product! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Now to your results. I missed Sweetcoca's instructions on how she used the product, and the impression I got from reading Hairfanatic was that she blow drys to get the desired results. Do you think your hair would've turned out straighter with a blow-dry application, rather than with a wet set application?

Today, I went to the mall to "investigate" this product, at Regis Hair Salon. I copied down all the ingredients, then talked to a stylist at the salon. She told me to use a blow-dry application, and apply the KMS Flat Out relaxing Balm to my roots, and to use Silk Therapy by Biosilk for the ends, to make them smoother. (my thought was "another doggone product??") LOL!

Anyway, Tammi, I appreciate your trying this out & reporting the results to us...

Cyn,

I used it again today using the ponytail method (airdrying hair in a ponytail). It's still a bit damp but I can see that it still loosens the curl on the new growth.

I DO NOT blow dry my hair ever! So I probably won't get the super straight results. But believe me, i'm with the softer new growth. Makes my life a heck of a lot easier.

I went to Wal-Mart this evening and noticed some other products that call themselves straightening balms. So I will probably end up trying those products after I'm done with this bottle.

Good luck with your research, Chicky! You are quite thorough. Checking ingredients is the smartest thing we can do as consumers. But don't forget after that, only by trying it will you know if it's good for you.

What it does for "others" is of no consequence as to what will work for you.

Take care,
T. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

WOW! Ok, ladies, I'll try and keep this short! So I'm on like week 20-something of no touch up ( I don't even know anymore) and so the new growth is definitely challenging my haircare skeeyels (skills).

So, I spent $18 freaking bucks on the KMS stuff and figured I'm gonna find the best use for it.

Well, unlike Sweetcocoa, I did not have the straightest results when roller setting.

But Holy Tomaters, after 4 years of no blow drying, I decided to give it a go with my new ridiculously costly hair product (KMS) and, ok... this is what happened.

The two women (one white and one black, who both offered to touch me up) asked me if I had already gotten a touch up when they saw me from a few feet away. When they got up close, they both (separate incidences) told me from far away they thought I had gotten a touch up because my hair was so straight compared to the pouf of last week.

Hallllll.....le-lu-yah!

Bottom line: This stuff is true to it's price tag and claims if you blow dry. (Which incidentally, I will not be doing again anytime soon but it was soooooo cool to see that this stuff really works!)

Five stars if you blow dry! /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the update AZJeepGurl. I plan on getting some and had been wondering if this would help get my hair straighter so I can minimize the heat on the flatiron and it's good to know that it will help a lot. I plan on blowdrying on cool/warm and flatironing. At least this means I wouldn't have to pick up a hotter flatiron. Plus I found that with my hair I lose waaaaaay less hairs afterwards when I blowdry first. If I braid to dry then comb it out and flatiron I lose lots more hair than I should. But I lose nothing (less than 10 strands) if I blowdry it then flatiron. You've got me excited again about being able to straighten this hair without a lot of drama (Thanks again hairfanatic for the rec). Yaaay /images/graemlins/grin.gif Did it help control reversion (that's one of it's claims)? And what techinique did you use to blowdry...comb attachment, brush, etc? Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's wonderful that it worked for you AZJeepgurl. I simply can't get enough of this product and can't imagine doing my hair without it! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Faith:

<font color="blue"> Hair Reversion? </font> Well, it's pretty much like a press, I would think. But only not so drastic? It's been quite rainy here this week, and though I haven't been drenched by the rain, what I noticed is with the 'wet air', my new growth remains flat against my head but the underprocessed ends have frizzed up. But I would say 'yes' it controls (not prevents) conversion. Make sense?

<font color="blue"> How did I blowdry? </font> Well, as I mentioned, I haven't blew my own hair dry in years. So, alas, all that remains of this poor appliance is a hair dryer with no comb attachment. I lost that long ago. It's like really old and the area where the air comes out is rectangular not circular.

But I must stress that I let my hair airdry in a ponytail for approx. an hour first so that it wasnt super wet. And pretty much just concentrated on my roots.

Have fun with this product. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I wish I had all natural hair like you and hairfanatic and Sweetcocoa(even though we have different hair types) to try this on.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
AZJeepgurl said:
Have fun with this product. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I wish I had all natural hair like you and hairfanatic and Sweetcocoa(even though we have different hair types) to try this on.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't used a blowdryer in over 2 years. But I may have to try your method the next time I'm in a hurry. I'll keep you posted. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

WOWOW--this stuff worked great for me!!

Yesterday, after sporting a 'fro all day, I washed my hair &amp; did my usual deep-conditioning routine.

Then, I put some Carol's Daughter's Healthy Hair butter on my wet hair &amp; air-dried my hair w/8 little ponytails all over my head, curling each pony tail with snap-on magnetic rollers. Slept on this thru the night.

This a.m., put the KMS Flat-Out relaxing balm on my roots &amp; put Lotta Body Lotion (diluted 3x) on my ends &amp; the rest of my hair, and "wrapped" my hair in a beehive &amp; sat under a warm dryer.

I am not kidding my hair got VERY VERY straight with this stuff. Altho I know it must be re-applied when I next shampoo, it got MY hair straighter than the Bodiphier did (which is an alkaline water-based relaxer with a PH of 6 according to its manufacturer), I trust is also much safer than Bodiphier was (which must be re-applied to new growth every month but left my hair frizzy unless I blow-dried my hair &amp; used hot curlers).

My hair is also very shiny with the KMS Flat-out Relaxing Balm (but probably due to the use of the Carol's daughter &amp; Lotta Body lotion, as well). This KMS stuff (which has a PH of 6.5-7, according to the manufacturer) is EXPENSIVE ($17.99 here in Delaware) but worth every penny as far as I'm concerned..... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Excellent news, Cynamon!!!!!! /images/graemlins/drunk.gif /images/graemlins/drunk.gif /images/graemlins/drunk.gif
Glad you liked it!

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hairfanatic,
do you have a comb attachment on your blow dryer, or do you use a brush to help straighten out your hair? What does everyone else use?

Back