Kindergarten girl with phony pony...Fell off at school!!!

sweetwhispers said:
I saw a 5-7 year old with a busted honey blonde weave last week my face was like:confused:

Toddlers with braided extensions is very common

I just don't know why children need fake hair- where are they going? Who are they going to see? To impress whom?[/quote]

I guess really am by myself of this....why do some of the women her where fake ponies...to hide there hair, put less stress. For me the same regimen i have me is the same for my daughter.

sweetwhispers said:
I saw a 5-7 year old with a busted honey blonde weave last week my face was like:confused:

Toddlers with braided extensions is very common

I just don't know why children need fake hair- where are they going? Who are they going to see? To impress whom?

Hello......!

I agree!

dlewis said:
I wonder what we are teaching our children by allowing them to wear fake hair and nails at such a young age. What type of damage are we doing?

I think it's teaching them that they are not enough.:( We should be teaching them to be their best self and to love themselves, instead of teaching them that they need a weave or acrylic nails to look pretty or to impress someone.

Teach them to manicure their own nails so they can be healthy and strong.(If you do take them to a nail salon, get them a manicure instead of the tips.) Teach them how to take care of their own hair so it too can be healthy and strong (and long if that's what they want). Don't teach them that they are not enough.
That's my opinion.

Last edited:
DivaStyle said:
I think it's teaching them that they are not enough.:( We should be teaching them to be their best self and to love themselves, instead of teaching them that they need a weave or acrylic nails to look pretty or to impress someone.

Teach them to manicure their own nails so they can be healthy and strong.(If you do take them to a nail salon, get them a manicure instead of the tips.) Teach them how to take care of their own hair so it too can be healthy and strong (and long if that's what they want). Don't teach them that they are not enough.
That's my opinion.

you said what I was thinking.

DivaStyle said:

That's my opinion.

Amen... and Praise God!
That is what its all about.

Most lil girls want to be like their mothers. If they see their mother doing it they are going to want to do it too. what was my point. I just lost myself lol sorry.:lol::cool:

It's still not my preference for children, but I suppose there's a difference between switching up styles in an obvious way and pretending every day that she has hair that she doesn't have.

The story in the original post sounds like the girl was ashamed her classmates found out she didn't really have long hair. Aside from my original concerns about traction alopecia and kids being too grown, I think age 5 is too young to be living a lie.

shynessqueen said:
Most lil girls want to be like their mothers. If they see their mother doing it they are going to want to do it too. what was my point. I just lost myself lol sorry.:lol::cool:

No offense to anyone here, but maybe some mothers need to learn the same lesson. That's just my opinion.

Wow... the hair care industry trains black women early in life that the only hair they'll ever have is someone elses. That is sad.

Sad for the child and the millions of other little girls who are being taught this.

Also sad for the poster who wrote about her color-struck nephew. So many boys are growing up thinking pretty comes in one package: light skin and long hair.

That's really sad :(

eyunka said:
Ok I understand about the fake nails but those of us on this hair board wear fake ponies and wigs and protective styles...why can't this be done with little girls?

Because we all know these mothers aren't making their daughters wear fake hair as a protective style. (A protective style doesn't need fake hair anyway)
At 5, the child is going to think that putting on fake hair is just something that people 'have to do', like wearing clothes, and going to school.
And that's not right is it?

Awww that poor little girl:( .
I'am actually looking forward to braiding my daughters natural hair and styling it...I dunno for me that would be *bonding* time.Besides that if my daughters gonna be anything like me fake phonies and other extensions will NOT stay on their head for long,I was always up in a tree or muddy all over from playing with the boys.

RainbowCurls said:
That's really sad :(

Because we all know these mothers aren't making their daughters wear fake hair as a protective style.

I felt like the statement i orginally replied to was stating that all mothers who have their daughter wearing fake hair/ponies was not taking care of their child's hair and i felt like as a mother that DOES take very good care of her daughter's hair needed to speak up and say so. There is an exception to every role.
(A protective style doesn't need fake hair anyway)
No a protective style does not need to be fake hair as u see in my daughter's pic below...but some of us on this board do use fake ponies as a protective style and like i said my daughter hair regiment is the sames as mine and is doing quite well.

At 5, the child is going to think that putting on fake hair is just something that people 'have to do', like wearing clothes, and going to school.
And that's not right is it?

I don't know what that child will think but i will do my best to continue to teach my daughter great hair care.

Last edited:
Growinpainz said:
I would have called the mother and told her that she needs to come to the school to put her childs hair back in. That is embarrassing and she is too young to be wearing fake hair PERIOD.

I swear you must be my twin :lachen::lachen:

There are so many other things a young girl that age has to worry about among her peers, and this incident just added to the list. I am sure her mom did not mean to cause her daughter embrassment.

IMO girls that young don't have any business wearing a weave of any kind. I agree that it does send a message that the hair that her daughter has on her head just isn't good enough.

Yes, little girls are wearing phony ponies. MY MY! There are 2 sisters at my church maybe ages 5 and 7 that were them every wk. That's so bad that little girl had to experience that.

Poor baby. I don't care what anyone says, a five year old should not be wearing a phony pony. What ever happened to braids, twists, puffs, etc? I can't imagine putting fake hair on my future child's head.

ella said:
Awww that poor little girl:( .
I'am actually looking forward to braiding my daughters natural hair and styling it...I dunno for me that would be *bonding* time.Besides that if my daughters gonna be anything like me fake phonies and other extensions will NOT stay on their head for long,I was always up in a tree or muddy all over from playing with the boys.

Me too, my girl is only 2 months old and I call myself trying to style her hair. I can't wait until that stuff kinks up, I'm gonna do some twin afro puffs and cornrows.

I do think that five is way too young to be wearing fake hair (with the exception of children with cancer or any other illnesses). I can't say that I will not allow my child to wear cornrow braids with extensions added or something along those lines before a certain age, but five is too young.

That's too bad. :(

I think some french braids done in cute lil style is more than enough for any 5 year old.

I must really be behind the times. I guess I'll have the only Black Amish children in town.

:::going off to find a horse and buggy:::

Personally It bothers me when I see young girls (anything under, say, 13) with ANY kind of fake hair. I know that combing a head full of hair daily can be time consuming to say the least, but I just think it's a great time to bond with your daughter and show her that she can manage/take care of her hair herself.

I have nieces whom I have NEVER seen their real hair. And to this day those girls hair is a hot mess (damaged) and they do not know how to style their natural hair. They know how to weave it up, braid it up, phony-pony it up, but that's it.

Maybe I'm old school, but I just remember how nice it was being between my mom's knees as she combed my hair. Sure, sometimes it hurt like heck because she wasn't using a wide-toothed comb :lol: but it was still kind of our special time. And I couldn't wait until I could start styling my hair myself -- MY hair. I didn't immediately think, "Oh, I'd better go to the BSS and get me some fake hair if I want to look good." I knew that my own hair could be made to look nice if I put the time in to style it.

Anyway, I don't mean to ramble, but I do think that kids learn lessons at early ages, and a lot of young girls are learning from their own parents that their own hair is impossible to groom without "special accoutrements.":(

I dont think any girls lower than high school should become accustomed to fake hair of any kind. I also feel the same about make up.

DivaStyle said:
Is it common for 5 yr olds to wear phony ponies? Do you think my mom should have called her parents? She really wanted to call them and tell them to be more careful if they send her to school that way, to avoid her being embarassed. She wanted to explain how this could effect her classroom performance, but she didn't.:perplexed

I still feel so sorry for that little girl.:(

Unfortunately, I'd have to say that in some areas, yes. 5 year old girls and even younger will wear phony ponies, because it seems that:

a) It 'looks' stylish

b) The parents don't know how to do their daughter's hair

When I went to elementary school, NONE of my female classmates had fake hair. It just wasn't done. But nowadays, it seems as soon as the child is born, people will relax their hair/put fake hair in etc....it just wasn't done when I was a child.

I think your mom should've called the parents because this was a traumatic experience for the little girl and I'm sure she probably thought that she didn't want to go to school again.:(

This thread is so sad!

To think another $12,000,000,000 industry, most of it the courtesy of BLACK WOMEN, is on the rise!

My mouth is still hangin open after reading this post!! FIVE with a phony pony??? Am I reading this right?? I am sorry if I offended anyone but that is just GHETTO!!!!!

L

shynessqueen said:

This is true... and for stuff like that, we could do it on the weekend (in my family) but ummm no child was walking out of the house in make-up... I imagine that if my Dad didn't detest extensions in any form... it would've been the same for extensions.

Oh no..that is terrible. I know those kids are going to tear her apart and make fun of her. She will probably be so self-conscious about her hair from now on. My hair got made fun of at school too and it does a number on your self esteem.

Back