Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Amari, you mean she used an entire 8oz bottle? If so, that's a lot from what I've read. Had she ever done one before? You've got me curious now ...

Yes she did.I did not realize it at first until she got to the front.I told her to apply it lightly,I guess she didnt know what that meant.She has never done it b4,but that dont excuse listening skills!She said she felt all my naps needed extra.

All I have to say is she better be lucky the system only cost me $100.I can take that hit.If it was like Dream Hair,it wouldve been pretty bad for her that day lol...

Next time I'll do it myself since my new growth is more manageable.Or make her sit me in front of a mirror and watch her like a hawk!

Hi Ladies, I'm new to the board and to BKT. Did my first one myself last week Saturday. I'm relaxed and my last relaxer was around Dec 18th. You know how your hair shed/break more than usual when its time to get a relaxer? Thats where I'm at and I thought the BKT would fix that...Well it didn't. You think I should do a protein treatment to stop the somewhat breakage I'm noticing or do another BKT or just go back to a relaxer...any help is appreciated. Thanks.

bumping... Im interested in this too. I just want to loosen my curl not lose it.

LoveLongLocks (my hair idol :yep:) and angelsanrainbows:

If you're a type 3, you will probably end up as type 2 - very loose waves. I wouldn't risk it if you're not prepared to wait 3 or 4 months for it to wear off. I'm 3c/4a and it took away ALL my texture. I can only imagine what it would do to 3a/3b hair.

Hi Ladies, I'm new to the board and to BKT. Did my first one myself last week Saturday. I'm relaxed and my last relaxer was around Dec 18th. You know how your hair shed/break more than usual when its time to get a relaxer? Thats where I'm at and I thought the BKT would fix that...Well it didn't. You think I should do a protein treatment to stop the somewhat breakage I'm noticing or do another BKT or just go back to a relaxer...any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Which BKT brand did you use, what is your hair type, and at what temperature did you flat iron your hair with the BKT? Would you say you applied more or less than 2 oz of the product? Also, are you seeing more shedding (long hair with bulb on tip) or breakage (short pieces hair)?

BKT is protein so more protein may not be beneficial. Maybe try DCing with a moisturizing conditioner and style your hair without direct heat to see if that helps.

Last edited:
You think I should do a protein treatment to stop the somewhat breakage I'm noticing or do another BKT or just go back to a relaxer...any help is appreciated.

Regular conditioning treatments are always good... do you need a trim? How are your ends? If your ends need to go, the BKT won't really address that....

I used QOD Gold..maybe right at 2oz maybe more because I bought 4oz and I'm little less than half..don't know hair number type but my hair is fine...not a lot of small pieces. Long pieces but no bulb...I did notice around my edges by my forehead a little short piece came out because I have the flaky scalp since bkt and it had a bulb on it. I flat iron with babyliss at the roots it goes to 430 and PHI on my length it goes to 360. Thanks

Has anyone ever heard of a "tempoprary" (Rx) bkt? I had an appointment to get my hair done, and instead of the $350 coppola treatment the stylist suggusted a treatment that is the same thing but only lasts for about 4 weeks. This service is only $10 added on to the flat iron service. I was thinking that instead of spending $350 for a one-time service I could just go to the salon once a month for a flat iron (which I plan on doing even if i did get the coppola) and add on the $10 service to the cost of my flatiron.

It has been two days and I'm loving my temporary treatment.
Does this seem like it would be a better option cost wise?

Also, I'm 13 weeks post my last relaxer with 4b hair, should I gave up relaxing completely, in lieu of BKT?
Thanks,

Yes my ends do need trimming although I got that done in December. So I order the spitender so I can do it myself....I deep cond every week for 20min under my pibbs..

I used QOD Gold..maybe right at 2oz maybe more because I bought 4oz and I'm little less than half..don't know hair number type but my hair is fine...not a lot of small pieces. Long pieces but no bulb...I did notice around my edges by my forehead a little short piece came out because I have the flaky scalp since bkt and it had a bulb on it. I flat iron with babyliss at the roots it goes to 430 and PHI on my length it goes to 360. Thanks

I'm a Softliss user, a type 4 with fine strands. I would guess that you may be experiencing some heat damage but this is just a guess. Don't be alarmed just yet. I'd go with a protein conditioner like Aphogee's 2 minute Keratin Conditioner and leave it on for 5 minutes and follow it with a moisturizing conditioner like Creme of Nature or Keracare (not sure if they contain sodium chloride). Definitely style your hair without using direct heat and in a way that doesn't require a lot of manipulation during the week (assuming you wash on weekends). Wait another week before BKTing again. The next time you BKT turn the heat down at least 20 degrees and see what happens. I think the 430 may be the culprit. It was for me.

Last edited:

Hi MsRR :wave:

First welcome to the Board :welcome:

I am sorry to hear about your breakage.

I am also a rank newbie where BKT is concerned and also just did my first BKT on Thursday evening. I also have VERY fine type 4 hair and the QOD Gold got my hair bone straight at about 200 - 210 (UK metrics). I was scared of heat damage hence why I didn't crank it up to the max 230 and did not do the naked blowdry. Instead I sat under my hood dryer after clarifying and my freind applied the QOD Gold to very slightly damp hair as suggested by another member here.

I then used a Blow dryer to seal the treatment into my hair until it was completely dry before flat ironing as above. I did feel my hair was very dry at the time and was worried by this so for the final pass my freind applied Keracare leave in treatment and sealed this in with a final pass. So I probably did about 4 -5 passes. I think this helped greatly hence why I think you should up your moisturizing for a few weeks.

I have found that my hair has been dry these past few days and I had run out of my fave moisturiser Mizani H20 intense so I made up my own doctored version by taking half a tub Elasta QP Mango butter that I had and adding 1 teaspoon of wheatgerm oil and half a teaspoon of Jojoba Oil and 1/2 a vial of matrix ceramides. I have been using that since Thursday 2x day and sealing with sweet almond oil and it has stopped the dryness in its tracks.

I plan to wash, steam and roller set on Tuesday which will be the true test of how good the treatment was. I am also hoping to gain some volume back.

HTH's

ETA: I plan to turn down my Irons further next time to between 180 - 190 and seeing how that goes as per my posts above.

Hi MsRR :wave:

...I also have VERY fine type 4 hair and the QOD Gold got my hair bone straight at about 200 - 210 (UK metrics). I was scared of heat damage hence why I didn't crank it up to the max 230 and did not do the naked blowdry. ...ETA: I plan to turn down my Irons further next time to between 180 - 190 and seeing how that goes as per my posts above.

200 - 210 Celsius = 392 - 410 Farenheit
230 Celsius = 446 Farenheit
180 - 190 Celsius = 356 - 374 Farenheit
Celsius to Farenheit Converter

I used 410 F (210 C) on my last BKT and it rocks!!!:grin:

^^^

Thanks so much texasqt :grin:

I think I will do my washout on Tuesday and then decide if I can turn it down further to 180 C /350 F

See my reasoning for this in my earlier post re type 4 hair and fewer cuticle layers.

If hair is damaged, BKT, or any keratin product for that matter will not "repair" or reverse this damage. BKT requires high heat to seal and attach itself to the cuticle.

If anyone experiences breakage, there are a myraid of things that could be the culprit, one being the fragility of chemically processed hair and working out from there.

I do not suggest anyone perform BKT on their hair if they do not understand proper thermal technique, or have sufficient flat iron skills (ie. How to glide down the strand to avoid burn spots on the strand, usually caused by jerking, pitting, and pausing while ironing).

Conditioning treatments will not reverse damage either, it only assists in protecting the strands until the damage can be trimmed off.

Let this not discourage anyone, but let us also be clear that these are professional products, not deep conditioners that can be purchased at the BSS. Please respect this and proceed accordingly.

Lets be safe.

On another note, doing a corrective on old henna right now in preparation for new color/bkt and cut.

One very important note is that while BKT requires higher heat to seal and attach to the cuticle, that doesn't mean max heat. 450 is definitely too high if your hair is fine. I highly encourage everyone to find the lowest temperature that will work for their hair whether BKTing or not.

One very important note is that while BKT requires higher heat to seal and attach to the cuticle, that doesn't mean max heat. 450 is definitely too high if your hair is fine. I highly encourage everyone to find the lowest temperature that will work for their hair whether BKTing or not.

This ITA with my anorexic strands could never take the 450 that say a type 2 European could take.

I think I will start Henna-ing though 2-3 days before my BKT's to help uptake.

Thx for the welcome...I henna also and was wondering how the hair would react with BKT..keep us posted..I can't wait to henna again.

I'm a Softliss user, a type 4 with fine strands. I would guess that you may be experiencing some heat damage but this is just a guess. Don't be alarmed just yet. I'd go with a protein conditioner like Aphogee's 2 minute Keratin Conditioner and leave it on for 5 minutes and follow it with a moisturizing conditioner like Creme of Nature or Keracare (not sure if they contain sodium chloride). Definitely style your hair without using direct heat and in a way that doesn't require a lot of manipulation during the week (assuming you wash on weekends). Wait another week before BKTing again. The next time you BKT turn the heat down at least 20 degrees and see what happens. I think the 430 may be the culprit. It was for me.
Texasqt..I don't have the 2 minute treatment. Could I use Motions CPR or should I just keep DC? Also I didn't do any of the blow dry on naked hair or did I blow dry the treatment in..I sat under my pibbs and before bkt I would only rollerset and flat iron roots only..so would 1 time bringing the flatiron to the ends cause heat damage? Oh another ? if I only do roller sets and wear my hair up though the week and sleep on satin pillow case what could be causing my split ends cause even though I had a trim in Dec. my hair would still snag when I would run my hands through them...and my stylist never heard of search and destroy method...so do you think the Pibbs could be causing the split ends or heat damage cause I use my pibbs on 60 degrees. Sorry so long and any advice or suggestions is appreciated

Last edited:
Texasqt..I don't have the 2 minute treatment. Could I use Motions CPR or should I just keep DC? Also I didn't do any of the blow dry on naked hair or did I blow dry the treatment in..I sat under my pibbs and before bkt I would only rollerset and flat iron roots only..so would 1 time bringing the flatiron to the ends cause heat damage? Oh another ? if I only do roller sets and wear my hair up though the week and sleep on satin pillow case what could be causing my split ends cause even though I had a trim in Dec. my hair would still snag when I would run my hands through them...and my stylist never heard of search and destroy method...so do you think the Pibbs could be causing the split ends or heat damage cause I use my pibbs on 60 degrees. Sorry so long.

The CPR should be fine. I've never used it so just be mindful of how your hair feels after you rinse it out. If it doesn't feel soft and strong then you may need to follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner.

One time heat damage would be all that it takes but the degree of damage may vary. You know how quick it takes to end up with a burn on the ear or forehead from a curling iron - doesn't take much. Your hair could be weakened and manipulation would cause it to break or it would break on its own. I'm guessing heat damage since you said it was long pieces without the bulb which would coincide with where you put the 430 degree flat iron on your roots. But don't panic and don't think about cutting your hair. I had the same problem a few weeks ago (lots of shedding and breakage - I thought I would be bald - but I'm also on medication so not sure if it was all BKT).

I BKT'd again after 2 weeks from the last application and my breakage has reduced greatly. Three things I made sure I did - (1) I clarified twice and the second time I left the shampoo on my hair for 10 minutes (Pinkskates tip). Something I hadn't been doing. The clarifying shampoo is suppose to open the cuticle layer to allow the BKT in and I started skipping it all together :nono: You must clarify. (2) I made sure I applied the BKT from root to tip using small parts. My hair was wet with the BKT. I know some are saying to use less but I think my version of less left some of my hair untreated so when the flat iron was applied it was on my hair and not the BKT. For some reason, I'm no longer irritated by the Softliss fumes :spinning: and I'm careful to keep the hair out of my eyes, nose/face so applying more this go 'round didn't bother me. (3) I flatironed at 410.

ETA: Split ends? Can you see them? Snagging doesn't necessarily mean split. Your ends could be dry or could have come into contact with the fabric of your clothing and tangled. Whatever you do, always be gentle when you comb and never force your way past a snag. How often are you moisturizing your ends and with what? Also, I don't have a pibbs but you shouldn't sit under any dryer for longer than 1 hour and consider spraying your hair with a spray oil every 15-20 minutes when you do. What products are you using when you rollerset?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Last edited:
^^^ This is what I did. I lathered up three times. The first time to wash and the subsequent 2 times I left the shampoo on for 5 minutes at a time.

The CPR should be fine. I've never used it so just be mindful of how your hair feels after you rinse it out. If it doesn't feel soft and strong then you may need to follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner.

One time heat damage would be all that it takes but the degree of damage may vary. Your hair could be weakened and manipulation would cause it to break or it would break on its own. I'm guessing heat damage since you said it was long pieces without the bulb which would coincide with where you put the 430 degree flat iron on your roots. But don't panic and don't think about cutting your hair just yet. I had the same problem a few weeks ago (lots of shedding and breakage - I thought I would be bald - but I'm also on medication so not sure if it was all BKT).

I BKT'd again after 2 weeks from the last application and my breakage has reduced greatly. Three things I made sure I did - (1) I clarified twice and the second time I left the shampoo on my hair for 10 minutes (Pinkskates tip). Something I hadn't been doing. The clarifying shampoo is suppose to open the cuticle layer to allow the BKT in and I started skipping it all together :nono: You must clarify. (2) I made sure I applied the BKT from root to tip using small parts. My hair was wet with the BKT. I know some are saying to use less but I think my version of less left some of my hair untreated so when the flat iron was applied it was on my hair and not the BKT. For some reason, I'm no longer irritated by the Softliss fumes :spinning: and I'm careful to keep the hair out of my eyes, nose/face so applying more this go 'round didn't bother me. (3) I flatironed at 410.

ETA: Split ends? Can you see them? Snagging doesn't necessarily mean split. Your ends could be dry or could have come into contact with the fabric of your clothing and tangled. Whatever you do, always be gentle when you comb and never force your way past a snag. How often are you moisturizing your ends and with what? Also, I don't have a pibbs but you shouldn't sit under any dryer for longer than 1 hour and consider spraying your hair with a spray oil every 15-20 minutes when you do.

I did clarify twice and on the second shampoo I let sit 10min then rinse. I don't moisturize my ends daily because every one I used leave my have greasy like but no moisture and the first ingredient is water and I would seal. What do you use on your fine ends?

I did clarify twice and on the second shampoo I let sit 10min then rinse. I don't moisturize my ends daily because every one I used leave my have greasy like but no moisture and the first ingredient is water and I would seal. What do you use on your fine ends?

This here is the culprit.

You have just exposed your hair to high levels of heat and so really your hair needs some nourishment put back in or it will break. In the same way that if you sat in the sun day after day and did not protect it from the sun or moisturise it.

My advice to you would be as follows:

1. Clarifying poo
2. Protein treatment for 5 - 10 mins
3. DC with moisturing condish and if you can get hold of them some ceramides or add oils with ceramide properties into the mix.
4. Final rinse with PC or diluted ACV.

Then in two weeks repeat the BKT.

ETA: If you want a non-greasy moisturiser try Mizani H20 Night time Intense. This will also help with the breakage. Also I have a boot-leg ceramide moisturiser recipe if you look in my blog to the right >>>>>>>

One time heat damage would be all that it takes but the degree of damage may vary. You know how quick it takes to end up with a burn on the ear or forehead from a curling iron - doesn't take much. Your hair could be weakened and manipulation would cause it to break or it would break on its own. I'm guessing heat damage since you said it was long pieces without the bulb which would coincide with where you put the 430 degree flat iron on your roots. But don't panic and don't think about cutting your hair. I had the same problem a few weeks ago (lots of shedding and breakage - I thought I would be bald - but I'm also on medication so not sure if it was all BKT).

ETA: Split ends? Can you see them? Snagging doesn't necessarily mean split. Your ends could be dry or could have come into contact with the fabric of your clothing and tangled. Whatever you do, always be gentle when you comb and never force your way past a snag. How often are you moisturizing your ends and with what? Also, I don't have a pibbs but you shouldn't sit under any dryer for longer than 1 hour and consider spraying your hair with a spray oil every 15-20 minutes when you do. What products are you using when you rollerset?

I've used several ones that was metion on this board...Currently I have but not using is BB oil moist with castor oil and I have kera care cond cream hairdress..I've also used just conditioner and vaseline lotion..the vaseline lotion I kinda like because my hair was not weighed down but not sure about moisture. I sit under my pibbs about 40min

Last edited:

You have just exposed your hair to high levels of heat and so really your hair needs some nourishment put back in or it will break. In the same way that if you sat in the sun day after day and did not protect it from the sun or moisturise it.

1. Clarifying poo
3. DC with moisturing condish and if you can get hold of them some ceramides or add oils with ceramide properties into the mix.

ETA: If you want a non-greasy moisturiser try Mizani H20 Night time Intense. This will also help with the breakage. Also I have a boot-leg ceramide moisturiser recipe if you look in my blog to the right >>>>>>>
So clarify? Won't this strip the bkt or no or is that what I should do and than start over again...I have PC and I used to add it to my cond because when I would use as a final rinse my hair didn't feel good. What's ceramides?

Last edited:

I changed my original post to also ask what products do you use when you rollerset.

I moisturize with BB Castor Oil cream only because I have for a long time and it works for me. I don't seal it with anything because it does contain mineral oil. I'm going to try something mineral oil free when I use it up but I'm kind of hesitant because I don't want to waste money. With that said, you do need to find a good moisturizer for your ends.

Also, check out this thread to determine your hair type. Knowing this will help you out tremendously:
Andre Walker's Hair Typing
Fia's Hair Typing

Last edited:
I changed my original post to also ask what products do you use when you rollerset.

I moisturize with BB Castor Oil cream only because I have for a long time and it works for me. I don't seal it with anything because it does contain mineral oil. I'm going to try something mineral oil free when I use it up but I'm kind of hesitant because I don't want to waste money. With that said, you do need to find a good moisturizer for your ends.

Also, check out this thread to determine your hair type. Knowing this will help you out tremendously:
Fia's Hair Typing
When I roller set...I use Its a 10 miracle leave in...been using that for about a month now and I put a little of sabino moisture block and kera care foam wrap setting lotion mix with water. I will check those links and see what type I am. Thx

Fia's Hair Typing
I looked at both links for the different hair type...but sorry I still don't know...

1. Clarifying poo

Thx I will try the Mizani since I keep hearing about this one.

Back