Keratin Treatment Support Thread

This is interesting! And according to the link you posted it can last just as long as the keratin treatment, That's why I never paid attention to the blowout, because I didnt think it would last as long. No formaldehyde...I think I'll look into this. I like the idea of using polymers to keep the keratin in place.

Muse,

Softliss is an excellent treatment that uses polymers and ethel alcohols. I used all of my 8oz Softliss kit last year and I'm thinking of going back to that one because it doesn't have formeldahyde. I too like the idea of using polymers to keep the keratin in place. I would love to try the Brazilian Blowout but you can't get it on ebay (I've tried..lol) and you can't purchase without being certified and having a license. I'm not paying 200 plus for it though:nono:.

About the Brazilian Blowout: apparently they are replacing the formaldehyde with HEAT. The stylist at Aveda told me that they (the stylists who were trained) were sold flat irons specifically for the BB that go up to around 500-550 degrees. AND THEY USE THEM AT FULL HEAT.

About the Brazilian Blowout: apparently they are replacing the formaldehyde with HEAT. The stylist at Aveda told me that they (the stylists who were trained) were sold flat irons specifically for the BB that go up to around 500-550 degrees. AND THEY USE THEM AT FULL HEAT.

HECKS NAW!!! I just realized that my heavy breakage may have been due to BKTing at 430 and maintaining at 320. It BKT'd this weekend on 410 and styled at 280 and I'm still shaking my hair! 500-550 degrees won't be on my hair at all.

Woa yeah I think I'll pass on that. Well it sounded perfect for a minute.

Veejee, did you get pretty straight results with Softliss?

Okay, I'm taking the plunge. I have an appointment at Ulta this afternoon to get the Coppola Keratin Complex.

Good luck, Soulie! You are going to post pics, aren't ya?

Nope! I rarely do :grin: I'm going to be getting a major cut, which means I won't like it for a while, so I won't want to post pictures of something I don't like. And on top of that, I can't wash it for 3 days, so it'll be a major cut that's gotta stay straight, so I'm SURE I won't like it before Thursday. :lachen:

LeBronland? Cuyahoga or Summit?

Nope! I rarely do :grin: I'm going to be getting a major cut, which means I won't like it for a while, so I won't want to post pictures of something I don't like. And on top of that, I can't wash it for 3 days, so it'll be a major cut that's gotta stay straight, so I'm SURE I won't like it before Thursday. :lachen:

LeBronland? Cuyahoga or Summit?

Awwwww man.

Summit!

:eek2::eek2:
I couldn't do it. :nono:

hey ladies! after reading every page of the thread (lol) i'm ready to take the plunge. i'm leaning toward softliss chocolate for this first go round. i've been to the softliss site, but i see a 2oz kit on ebay for cheaper...is 2oz enough for someone with really thick, dense 4a hair? i just don't want to run out halfway through.

Wow this thread is super long! I'm curious to see the results of the salon keratin treatment. I am using Aphogee Two Step Protein Treatment. I'm pleased with the results. I'm still learning about my hair...

Oh ladies I went to the Hairshow this weekend and today and I was in Keratin land! I bought Marcia Advanced, but now I think I should have gotten both the chocolate and advanced, but oh well. One of the girls at the counter couldn't believe that there are women who do this themselves and said I needed someone to help me do the back of my hair; that the sections have to be very small. I smiled at her and was nice, but GIVE ME MY PRODUCT!

Rejuvenol has stepped up the game with a new 24 hour product with collagen that looked promising.

Global Keratin was there and alot of newbies to the BKT scene too.

i found a sample of ok keratin on ebay for $27 so i purchased it. hopefully it gets here soon...i'd like to do the bkt on sunday. will update you all on how it goes.

Also you may want to look into getting some Sabino Lok and Blok (if you don't already have it). I revisited this stuff and it works amazingly with BKT.
I had the same experience! I hated Sabino on my non-BKT hair, but it works wonders with the keratin treatment in my hair.

I use a new ceramide product by Komaza called Moku Hair Serum, then seal with Sabino, and flat iron. The combination of those products leaves my hair so soft and moisturized.

NOW I remember you saying that about the Advance product...lol..

This is good information to know. I purchased a sample of the Chocolate formula, but after reading the thread and the training manual, I was a little worried. I don't want to lose my curl forever, I just want to relax it a bit and wear my hair straight. After hearing that your hair is starting to revert, I am a little hopeful that I may not lose my curl pattern.

I plan on doing my BKT tomorrow...
All of my curl has come back now (yay!) But it's quite a bit looser than before, which is a good thing IMO....it's prettier and more manageable now.

I am a bit confused, though. My hair was straight for two months, and now it's curly again, but it still displays characteristics of BKT'd hair: looser, more manageable, thicker, doesn't get heat damage from the flat iron, holds the style better. So has my BKT worn off, or not? I can't tell.

Ok ladies, I have a question. I'm about to get a full-head sew-in next week, with a closure...all of my hair will be hidden for two months.

But it's been 9 weeks since my BKT, so do you think I should do another keratin treatment before I get the sew-in? Would there be any benefit to BKTing hair that I won't see for two months?

TIA

Hi ladies,

I always said that if I was having issues with the BKT that I'd report it. Well I just did another QOD Gold treatment (2nd one), this is my 6th or 7th treatment overall. I have started to notice more breakage and the strands are LONG:perplexed. It is strange because up until doing this last treatment I had no breakage. I was actually retaining and this is the longest my hair has ever been. I noticed that even before I put the flat iron on a section I'd comb it out and there were strands of long broken hairs. Breakage does not scare me because I think a little breakage is inevitable especially with fine hair but it's the length of the hairs that worries me.

So I was trying to figure out what I did that could have caused it and I think that the heat finally got to me. I always do the naked blow dry AND flat iron on 450 because I felt that I wanted a good strong bond between the keratin and the hair. I didn't watch how many passes either. I know many of you turn the heat down but for those who don't please do. It may come back to bite you in the butt later.

I am not ready to give up on BKT because I believe that when used wisely it can be a great help! I think what I am going to do is invest in that Izunami flat iron because it holds the temp and doesn't go over 400 degrees. Honestly if I don't BKT my hair my only options are natural or relaxed. Relaxing jacks up my hair and scalp and there's nothing I can do to tweak it so that it won't. Being natural, I lost a LOT of hair detangling. But until this past treatment BKT was perfect. So I will try the lower heat the next go around. I'm also going to put some more time between now and my next treatment to see how my hair's doing as far as the breakage. I'd like to chalk this one up to user error before I nix the whole thing. Hope this helps someone.

I had the same experience! I hated Sabino on my non-BKT hair, but it works wonders with the keratin treatment in my hair.

I use a new ceramide product by Komaza called Moku Hair Serum, then seal with Sabino, and flat iron. The combination of those products leaves my hair so soft and moisturized.

All of my curl has come back now (yay!) But it's quite a bit looser than before, which is a good thing IMO....it's prettier and more manageable now.

I am a bit confused, though. My hair was straight for two months, and now it's curly again, but it still displays characteristics of BKT'd hair: looser, more manageable, thicker, doesn't get heat damage from the flat iron, holds the style better. So has my BKT worn off, or not? I can't tell.

mstar, I was extremely worried about reversion and it took over 3 months to get the curl back - even with trying to strip it. I've heard that it doesn't fully wear off until 5 or 6 months. When mine finally wore off, I could tell right away - all that easy detangling came to a screeching halt! :lachen: I was like "What's wrong with my hair?" I was so used to the feel of it with BKT, I forgot what it was like without it.

Last edited:
Hi ladies,

I always said that if I was having issues with the BKT that I'd report it. Well I just did another QOD Gold treatment (2nd one), this is my 6th or 7th treatment overall. I have started to notice more breakage and the strands are LONG:perplexed. It is strange because up until doing this last treatment I had no breakage. I was actually retaining and this is the longest my hair has ever been. I noticed that even before I put the flat iron on a section I'd comb it out and there were strands of long broken hairs. Breakage does not scare me because I think a little breakage is inevitable especially with fine hair but it's the length of the hairs that worries me.

So I was trying to figure out what I did that could have caused it and I think that the heat finally got to me. I always do the naked blow dry AND flat iron on 450 because I felt that I wanted a good strong bond between the keratin and the hair. I didn't watch how many passes either. I know many of you turn the heat down but for those who don't please do. It may come back to bite you in the butt later.

I am not ready to give up on BKT because I believe that when used wisely it can be a great help! I think what I am going to do is invest in that Izunami flat iron because it holds the temp and doesn't go over 400 degrees. Honestly if I don't BKT my hair my only options are natural or relaxed. Relaxing jacks up my hair and scalp and there's nothing I can do to tweak it so that it won't. Being natural, I lost a LOT of hair detangling. But until this past treatment BKT was perfect. So I will try the lower heat the next go around. I'm also going to put some more time between now and my next treatment to see how my hair's doing as far as the breakage. I'd like to chalk this one up to user error before I nix the whole thing. Hope this helps someone.

Muse do you think that this might be due to other reasons such as dry weather? Also I am not well versed on BKT being a rank newbie myself but do you think your hair kinda has to be healthy and conditioned before hand when getting the BKT. I kinda feel the whole Keratin protection thing is a bit of a marketing angle...?

Ok ladies, I have a question. I'm about to get a full-head sew-in next week, with a closure...all of my hair will be hidden for two months.

But it's been 9 weeks since my BKT, so do you think I should do another keratin treatment before I get the sew-in? Would there be any benefit to BKTing hair that I won't see for two months?

TIA

I suppose it might protect your hair? Otherwise no not really as you will not be seeing your hair for a while so you might as well just let it be?

Hi ladies,

Sorry to hear about your breakage, Muse. How often are you BKT'ing? Are you DC'ing several times before application? Was your hair sensitive to heat before you used BKT? Sorry for all the questions.

Muse do you think that this might be due to other reasons such as dry weather? Also I am not well versed on BKT being a rank newbie myself but do you think your hair kinda has to be healthy and conditioned before hand when getting the BKT. I kinda feel the whole Keratin protection thing is a bit of a marketing angle...?

That is a good question because it is very dry here in MI right now. I feel that it would be better on healthy hair. I am mostly natural with some relaxed damaged ends so rather than cut them off I thought I'd try BKT because it was for damaged hair. Well yes the results are better because the ends stay very straight but I see that BKT is NOT a fix for already damaged hair but I think since I didn't watch the heat during application I added to the damage that was already there. Time to start trimming away.

^^^ Muse how about you DC for a bit so that you get a better feel for the real line of demarcation where damage is concerned. You might be able to get away with trimming less than you think. You can PS and bun like crazy in the meantime until you get your hair up to health?

Also if you are getting breakage due to dryness you might want to try steam treatments.

Sorry to hear about your breakage, Muse. How often are you BKT'ing? Are you DC'ing several times before application? Was your hair sensitive to heat before you used BKT? Sorry for all the questions.

Hi sipp, all of the questions help me figure out what's going on:yep:. Well I am BKTing every 4-6weeks, I only use heat for application ( I flat ironed once in between treatments) otherwise I just wash and air dry and keep my hair clipped up 24/7. I use to flat iron weekly when I first found the boards and my hair did pretty well (I never got long strands of breakage) but I wasnt using it on 450 with 10 passes either. I know I am breaking one of the LHCF commandments here :lachen: but I have never been a DCer. When I first came to the boards I emailed Victor Sabino a lot and he always said that DCs, protein treamtments, oils, leave ins, moisturizers, etc. were a waste of time and money. He told me that all hair needs is water to moisturize. I said even afro textured hair?! He said yes. A gentle shampoo, simple conditioner and Lok and Blok to seal it in until next shampoo (but the trick is to shampoo often to replenish moisture from the water). So I tried it but I got scared to do it for too long because of what people were saying on the boards about not DCing or moisturizing. Well I just recently started back and I have been doing that for a few weeks and my hair felt great, never dry but maybe with all the heat that i'm using now for BKT it's not enough. Perhaps if I were heat free...Anyway sorry so long:spinning:.

^^^ Muse how about you DC for a bit so that you get a better feel for the real line of demarcation where damage is concerned. You might be able to get away with trimming less than you think. You can PS and bun like crazy in the meantime until you get your hair up to health?

Also if you are getting breakage due to dryness you might want to try steam treatments.

Thanks Stellagirl! I already know what I'm going to use for DC-Aveda Damage Remedy. I tried this in the past and it was great.

I love this support group! Thanks ladies:yep:.

mstar, I was extremely worried about reversion and it took over 3 months to get the curl back - even with trying to strip it. I've heard that it doesn't fully wear off until 5 or 6 months. When mine finally wore off, I could tell right away - all that easy detangling came to a screeching halt! :lachen: I was like "What's wrong with my hair?" I was so used to the feel of it with BKT, I forgot what it was like without it.

ME TOO!!!,.........

Hi sipp, all of the questions help me figure out what's going on:yep:. Well I am BKTing every 4-6weeks, I only use heat for application ( I flat ironed once in between treatments) otherwise I just wash and air dry and keep my hair clipped up 24/7. I use to flat iron weekly when I first found the boards and my hair did pretty well (I never got long strands of breakage) but I wasnt using it on 450 with 10 passes either. I know I am breaking one of the LHCF commandments here :lachen: but I have never been a DCer. When I first came to the boards I emailed Victor Sabino a lot and he always said that DCs, protein treamtments, oils, leave ins, moisturizers, etc. were a waste of time and money. He told me that all hair needs is water to moisturize. I said even afro textured hair?! He said yes. A gentle shampoo, simple conditioner and Lok and Blok to seal it in until next shampoo (but the trick is to shampoo often to replenish moisture from the water). So I tried it but I got scared to do it for too long because of what people were saying on the boards about not DCing or moisturizing. Well I just recently started back and I have been doing that for a few weeks and my hair felt great, never dry but maybe with all the heat that i'm using now for BKT it's not enough. Perhaps if I were heat free...Anyway sorry so long:spinning:.

Hey ladybug, so sorry to hear about the breakage. Just wanted to chime in and let you know what I do. I BKT every 2 to 3 months now and I use 430 degrees. I run the iron back and forth 3 times at the root and down the shaft only twice. I do this even though I coat the entire strand of hair with the BKT product.

Because I do back and forth at the root, that gives me the equivalent of 6 passes at the root and only two passes on the rest of my hair at 430 degrees. I feel that's no more heat than a regular flat iron for the pre-treated BKT'd hair. This has been working well for me. Hope this helps, friend.

Denise

I cosign this all day long! :yep: Yesss my hair and I had a real moment when my BKT wore off because it looked at me like, "I know you don't think you're combing root to tip, right now, right?" :giggle:

Sipp, your hair looks so good, it's bananas!
disco.gif
disco.gif
disco.gif

Back