Keratin Treatment Support Thread

That's not what she said. She said that she's not making anymore BKT application videos because there's nothing else to say about it. She is considering making videos about BKT hair treatment maintenance, but she hasn't really decided.

did the treatment yesterday. OK keratin 4oz...instructions say to wait 1 day to wash my hair so i will update after that.

for those of you that have BKT'd:

1. the OK says the wait 24 hours to wash. do you think it is ok to wait a few more days? i'm working the next couple of days and will have more time this weekend.

2. right now hair looks more "blown out" than how it regularly looks when I get my hair flat ironed(super sleek). i had a friend that is in cosmetology(sp) school apply the treatment for me. maybe it's her technique...i don't know. did most of you see sleek results immediately or after the first wash?

THX!

Attachments

• IMG00175.jpg
    IMG00175.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
did the treatment yesterday. OK keratin 4oz...instructions say to wait 1 day to wash my hair so i will update after that.

for those of you that have BKT'd:

1. the OK says the wait 24 hours to wash. do you think it is ok to wait a few more days? i'm working the next couple of days and will have more time this weekend.

2. right now hair looks more "blown out" than how it regularly looks when I get my hair flat ironed(super sleek). i had a friend that is in cosmetology(sp) school apply the treatment for me. maybe it's her technique...i don't know. did most of you see sleek results immediately or after the first wash?

THX!

1. Sure, you can wait a few days; they just want to make sure you give it at least 24 hours, but it can be longer than that.

2. My hair always looks better after the first wash because when you first do the treatment, the hair is kind of coated. After the first wash, it's not. HTH.

1. Sure, you can wait a few days; they just want to make sure you give it at least 24 hours, but it can be longer than that.

2. My hair always looks better after the first wash because when you first do the treatment, the hair is kind of coated. After the first wash, it's not. HTH.

Thank u! The suspense was killing me so I washed it yesterday(24hrs). OMG!! I'm so happy! No shedding and my hair was super soft. I was able to slick my hair down in 2 seconds and only use a 1/4 of the amount of product that I normally have to. I still have a curl pattern though it is definitely much looser, softer, and hardly any frizz. Here's a pic out of the shower yesterday and of my puff today:

Attachments

• IMG00179.jpg
    IMG00179.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG00183.jpg
    IMG00183.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 83
I have that issue too, the sort of coated feeling on the hair until after the first wash.

I just did my 6th BKT last night (and part of this morning since I finished after 1 a.m.)

First BKT 4/23/09 and a second minichop of the relaxed hair.

comparisonshot20090825BKT-vi.jpg

comparisonshot20091222BKT-vi.jpg

my curly hair 3/18/10
IMG_10301-vi.jpg

BKT
comparisonshot20100318BKT-vi.jpg

I hope to reach BSL by March 2011.:grin:

I have that issue too, the sort of coated feeling on the hair until after the first wash.

I just did my 6th BKT last night (and part of this morning since I finished after 1 a.m.)

First BKT 4/23/09 and a second minichop of the relaxed hair.

comparisonshot20090825BKT-vi.jpg

comparisonshot20091222BKT-vi.jpg

my curly hair 3/18/10
IMG_10301-vi.jpg

BKT
comparisonshot20100318BKT-vi.jpg

I hope to reach BSL by March 2011.:grin:
Are you using any other growth aids or just BKT...It sure is growing.

I am SO ready to wash my hair tomorrow. It'll be my first post BKT wash and I'm curious to see how it comes out. I don't do stick straight, flat ironed hair. I'm ready for some VOLUME!!!

I am SO ready to wash my hair tomorrow. It'll be my first post BKT wash and I'm curious to see how it comes out. I don't do stick straight, flat ironed hair. I'm ready for some VOLUME!!!

Where are your pics m'am? I've been checking this thread to see your pics. lol

No, no growth aids. I am drinking about 6 grams of chlorella 3 - 4 times per week, and have been since mid October. I do not drink it everyday anymore since I noticed brittle nails and frequent bathroom visits a few months back

Are you using any other growth aids or just BKT...It sure is growing.

Thanks! Next time I am having a stylist put in my BKT. I need the treat to sit and have it done rather than do it myself.

I have been charting my hair growth since 4/23/09 and, if I count the strands that are at APL now, my hair grows at 5.5 inches per year. If I do not count the section that is at APL, I am at 4.9 inches per year. I have no idea if the chlorella is working (only started it in mid-October) and I was still dealing with breakage since I had 2 textures until 12/21/09.

Over the next year I plan to take measurements at each BKT to see if I notice a difference. I would love to get 6 inches per year.:grin:

Your hair looks beautiful, Naturalmanenyc!! :clap:

No, no growth aids. I am drinking about 6 grams of chlorella 3 - 4 times per week, and have been since mid October. I do not drink it everyday anymore since I noticed brittle nails and frequent bathroom visits a few months back
I take chlorella as well, I started Feb 3rd...I haven't notice growth.. I don't think.. but my new growth is baby soft. I'm thinking about letting the guy Ediese mention in Houston do my next BKT to see if its something that I didn't do right. Although, I would like to keep doing them myself..I have 2oz of QOD left so I might used that up and than try him out...I've only did it once..so I think I need to try again myself before I give up..

Last edited:
This here is the culprit.

You have just exposed your hair to high levels of heat and so really your hair needs some nourishment put back in or it will break. In the same way that if you sat in the sun day after day and did not protect it from the sun or moisturise it.

My advice to you would be as follows:

1. Clarifying poo
2. Protein treatment for 5 - 10 mins
3. DC with moisturing condish and if you can get hold of them some ceramides or add oils with ceramide properties into the mix.
4. Final rinse with PC or diluted ACV.

Then in two weeks repeat the BKT.

ETA: If you want a non-greasy moisturiser try Mizani H20 Night time Intense. This will also help with the breakage. Also I have a boot-leg ceramide moisturiser recipe if you look in my blog to the right >>>>>>>
I just finish clarifying with Pantene and I have affirm 5 in 1 on my hair..I will sit with this for about 10min...I have both Humecto in the tub and Mizani Hydrafuse which do you guys think is more moisturizing?

I went to the Dominican's today to get a wash and blow dry, and the stylist said that my keratin treatment was not done correctly because I still have a loose curl. She says my hair should be straight when wet. This is not true from what I read about others who have had the treatment. She says she can do my hair with global keratin and it will be straight for 4 months.

I went to the Dominican's today to get a wash and blow dry, and the stylist said that my keratin treatment was not done correctly because I still have a loose curl. She says my hair should be straight when wet. This is not true from what I read about others who have had the treatment. She says she can do my hair with global keratin and it will be straight for 4 months.

^^^ This was not my exp as a type 4. I still have a curl but my hair is much softer and more manageable. I am waiting a few weeks and upping my DC to do my un-relaxed NG again to get a more texlaxed look.

Shoot, if I read people saying this I would have never been interested in it. I still want to have some curl.
I read it could get straighter and straighter depending on frequency, but bone straight after washing out 1st app is just scary.

I just finish clarifying with Pantene and I have affirm 5 in 1 on my hair..I will sit with this for about 10min...I have both Humecto in the tub and Mizani Hydrafuse which do you guys think is more moisturizing?
Ok this was a bad idea the protein....my hair is a tangle mess.

That's what I thought. When I washed my hair it was so soft and silky, I fell in love. The stylist said "you should get your money back". I paid $80 to get my keratin treatment. The dominican stylist wants to charge me $250 to do my next one. Crazy money! It's not That SERIOUS!

That's what I thought. When I washed my hair it was so soft and silky, I fell in love. The stylist said "you should get your money back". I paid $80 to get my keratin treatment. The dominican stylist wants to charge me $250 to do my next one. Crazy money! It's not That SERIOUS!

:lol: sounds like the lady was doing some customer fishing. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. BKT will only permanently get hair so straight if it was processed before. The real benefit is the ease of combing and managing the hair. If you want bone straight hair, this is not for you unless you have previously had some sort of chemical process.

Last edited:
Hey, ladies! I did my BKT today with Marcia Teixeira regular, and since I was snowed in.....

:grin:

I made a video of my application:look:

My Brazilian Keratin Treatment Application

I saw your tutorial and LOVED IT!!

I wonder...I have some questions:

1. Were there any fumes? Did it affect your daughter?
2. How did your hair keep when you first washed it?
3. Do you workout? If so, how do you maintain your hair?

I want to transition with BKT. I got the Keratin Coppola Smooth Treatment done about two weeks ago. As soon as I washed my hair a week later, it reverted back to where it was before. Very difficult to comb. Breakage. I wonder if I should just breakdown and use a stronger formaldehyde. I'm nearly 6 months post-relaxer, like yourself.

Thanks!!! :kiss:

Are you a natural type 4? If so then your hair will NOT be straight after washing. Even the companies say that this hair type should relax, color, or have several application before seeing straight hair right out of the shower.

I saw your tutorial and LOVED IT!!

I wonder...I have some questions:

1. Were there any fumes? Did it affect your daughter? I notice no fumes at all. I think the amount of product used plays a role in that though.
2. How did your hair keep when you first washed it? I haven't washed yet (this is my first treatment wit MT), but usually it's still poofy but easy to comb through. It straightens easily.
3. Do you workout? If so, how do you maintain your hair?Lite workout (walking) only, and as long as my hair is tied down during and afterwards, it's still straight when I take it down.

I want to transition with BKT. I got the Keratin Coppola Smooth Treatment done about two weeks ago. As soon as I washed my hair a week later, it reverted back to where it was before. Very difficult to comb. Breakage. I wonder if I should just breakdown and use a stronger formaldehyde. I'm nearly 6 months post-relaxer, like yourself. I would. I think the Formaldehyde formulas work better.

Thanks!!! :kiss: You're welcome! :grin:

I got my split ender on yesterday and I ordered directly from the company and I like it. I can tell a difference in the way my hair felt after as before it was kind of rough towards my ends and was snaging a bit. I will definetly continue to use it...I use the splitender10 coupon for a $10 discount and although they only offer pink and blue, I sent an email and ask for the green color and they respond saying if they had one in stock they will send it and they did... Oh and it does not take alot of hair off it does exactly what it says...My hair felt great afterwards.

Well I got mine yesterday and I couldn't even finish my whole head before it broke! It is very cheaply made. I did hit a snag in the roots (the rest of my hair was straight) and it was all over after that. I was trying to avoid the roots but I got caught in one section. BUT the parts of my head that I did get done felt GREAT! I would never be able to get get split ends like that with a pair of scissors especially in the back. So I asked if I could exchange it. I will now only use it on BKT days-no danger of snagging. It is a really great tool (when it works, lol). I see you have to be VERY careful with it.

First wash done after my first BKT (Marcia Tex), which was applied by the stylist that Ediese found out about (info is somewhere upthread). He is very professional, punctual and his price is SO reasonable for what you get. I highly recommend him.

Pros:
New growth is very manageable, dries faster, less product use, feels stronger (overall), time spent on wash day will drastically decrease

Cons:
Some of my previously relaxed hair (ends) are breaking and although it's not drastic, I don't like it because I'm not used to seeing any.

Experience:
The stylist used the Softliss 4-day formula. My stylist has been using Design Essentials mild on my hair, relaxing it to near bone straight texture. At the time I got my BKT I was approximately 5 weeks post relaxer, with maybe 3/4 inch of new growth.

When I got in his chair he examined my hair (which was in a combed out braidout, which in retrospect I think might have caused him to believe that my BKT needed to be flatironed with a higher heat). He tested the elasticity of my hair by pulling a handfull (kind of like an extreme weave check, lol!), after which he declared that my hair was in good condition and very strong. So, then we talked about heat. I told him that I did NOT flatironing at 450 deg and he was okay with it, although he did say that if I insisted on a heat that was too low and it didn't last at long, it would be too late to do anything about it. We went back and forth and finally decided to give it a go at 400 deg.

He did the BKT per the normal procedures that you've read here and everywhere else. He blowdried my hair on low setting (using 2 blowdryers) and a comb. He said that a lot of people think AA hair needs a lot of heat because it's tough, when our hair in fact is more fragile. He dried only to 75% and then did the BKT application. He paid more attention to the new growth and did fewer passes on the relaxed hair, which I liked. There was minimal fumes and the whole process took a little over 2 hours. He gave me some Marcia Tex shampoo and conditioner and sent me on my way.

The whole not getting my hair wet/using pins/ponytail thing was a PITA. I also did NOT enjoy the bone straightness of it all, because I never wear my hair flatironed like that. Finally, I got through the week and washed. I used the Marcia shampoo/conditioner and my hair didn't feel soft/conditioned enough for me. I slapped on some Joico Intense Hydration condish and ended up falling asleep with it in. This morning, I rinsed that out and I STILL didn't like the feeling, although detangling was great and I lost very little hair. So, I put on some of my deep condish mix that I use with my steamer (I took my almost empty tub of Motions Silk protein a variety of almost used up conditioners in, added olive oil, & JBCO) and did a steaming session. Oh my goodness! My hair is just unbelievable. I currently have it in a ponytail roller set. Once it's dry, I'll take some pics and post them.

Now that I've had someone else do it to get an idea of how it's done, I will probably do it myself from now on, so that I have more control over the heat. My hair has always been pretty direct heat adverse, which was probably my biggest reservation about this process coming in. However, I have to say that so far it's been a pretty good experience and I can definitely see using this to transition. My new growth is just amazing ... not too straight, but manageable and soft, soft, soft!

Last edited:
Back