Keratin Treatment Support Thread

I love the Dreamhair but I don't think it did much for my virgin roots. They are softer of course... but the texture hasn't drastically changed like it did with QOD.

Interesting.

I will be looking into another "one day" brand though.

The CPR should be fine. I've never used it so just be mindful of how your hair feels after you rinse it out. If it doesn't feel soft and strong then you may need to follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner.

One time heat damage would be all that it takes but the degree of damage may vary. You know how quick it takes to end up with a burn on the ear or forehead from a curling iron - doesn't take much. Your hair could be weakened and manipulation would cause it to break or it would break on its own. I'm guessing heat damage since you said it was long pieces without the bulb which would coincide with where you put the 430 degree flat iron on your roots. But don't panic and don't think about cutting your hair. I had the same problem a few weeks ago (lots of shedding and breakage - I thought I would be bald - but I'm also on medication so not sure if it was all BKT).

I BKT'd again after 2 weeks from the last application and my breakage has reduced greatly. Three things I made sure I did - (1) I clarified twice and the second time I left the shampoo on my hair for 10 minutes (Pinkskates tip). Something I hadn't been doing. The clarifying shampoo is suppose to open the cuticle layer to allow the BKT in and I started skipping it all together :nono: You must clarify. (2) I made sure I applied the BKT from root to tip using small parts. My hair was wet with the BKT. I know some are saying to use less but I think my version of less left some of my hair untreated so when the flat iron was applied it was on my hair and not the BKT. For some reason, I'm no longer irritated by the Softliss fumes :spinning: and I'm careful to keep the hair out of my eyes, nose/face so applying more this go 'round didn't bother me. (3) I flatironed at 410.

ETA: Split ends? Can you see them? Snagging doesn't necessarily mean split. Your ends could be dry or could have come into contact with the fabric of your clothing and tangled. Whatever you do, always be gentle when you comb and never force your way past a snag. How often are you moisturizing your ends and with what? Also, I don't have a pibbs but you shouldn't sit under any dryer for longer than 1 hour and consider spraying your hair with a spray oil every 15-20 minutes when you do. What products are you using when you rollerset?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

@ the bold-a very important point Texasqt. Even Victor Sabino ( I know I mention him a lot:grin:) says to use more product than usual on AA hair. I agree that we cannot afford to apply too lightly and I'd rather go heavy than light now. My hair isn't as flowy but it's protected. Now that I think about it I think I applied too lightly when I was first getting into BKT with dreamhair. I am pretty sure the application was lacking. This last time around I applied it very well and a little more heavily BUT I hiked the heat up to 450! I dropped the ball there. So the next time I will be using more product AND turning down the heat. Meanwhile I have begun trimming (I am so glad I did my hair looks fuller, healthier) and am thinking about investing in a Split Ender for maintainence because I am really bad at doing self dusting/trimming with all of the layers in my hair.

I just posted this in another thread, but wanted to share it here too.

I know I'm suppose to be on a hair hiatus, but I found some good information this weekend that I wanted to share.

On Saturday, I noticed this black lady walk into my class with long, shiny, silky hair. When she walked in, her hair was bouncing with almost every step she took. lol I'd noticed her hair before. It's natural with loose curls, and she usually has it pinned up. Well, in class, I overheard her talking about this treatment that she had done to her hair that was called the *brazilian keratin treatment*. Of course, I had to get in that conversation. I complimented her hair, and started asking for specifics.

She said she had been researching the treatment for a bit. She found a guy that works at a salon in River Oaks that offers the treatment on the side. She wasn't sure what brand, but she did mention that it wasn't Coppola, and it did have formaldeyde. The guy did it in his apartment. Her boyfriend went with her just in case, but left as soon as he saw the guy was more interested in him than her, he left. lol

This part had me kind of cracking up. I asked her how much it cost, and she looked at my hair (current neck length weave), and said 'oh, it probably won't be expensive for you. Since I have long hair, it cost me $150". I was cracking up inside. Granted..she does have BSL hair, but so do I. I think she'll be in a rude awakening this summer. lol I don't get why everyone automatically assumes you have to be bald to wear a weave.

Anywho, at least I have the guy's contact number. If anyone is interested, PM me.

UPDATE:

I just called and spoke to him, and he's sooooooo sweet! :) He said he charges 160-180, and he has the conditioner and shampoo $15 each. He uses the Marcia Texeira Keratin treatment, and that's the exact one that I was interested in. He is available on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays after 5:30p. He's around the Galleria area - 59 and Chimney Rock.

Oh yeah, I loved this part, he GUARANTEES that you will love it! He hasn't had any complaints, and he said if you had any problems that he would work with you to make sure you'll be happy.

Last edited:
Hijabi how did you henna come out on your bkt hair...

Hey MsRR - I actually did a corrective to partially strip the henna/indigo from my hair. I will not be using henna with BKT in the future and I'm slowly removing the henna buildup before each BKT application.

I replaced henna with colorshowers and the color is very nice.

...I used Marcia Advanced yesterday, my hair is much softer - and straighter after the rinse out/blow out today than it was with QOD Gold. I do have to say that the smell is much stronger and less pleasant than the Gold, but I received better results - especially in my resistant back area.

I cut 1 1/2 off to blunt and I'm pleased.

-basic info: fine/medium density strands, 2.5 inches of new growth. Applied BKT to roots only, but it coated the ends on the 5 min. combout. Used Izunami flatiron 360 degree 7-10 passes on new growth, 2-3 passes on relaxed ends.

Oh, also after the rinse out I used my new beloved Alter Ego Nourishing Nova Care Intensive Leave in Conditioner, (the shampoo has sodium, for you pjs) with a bit of coconut oil on the ends.

HijabiFlygirl

Is there a reason why you are no longer Henna-ing with BKT...

Just want to get the lowdown before I try this myself....

TIA :grin:

Hey MsRR - I actually did a corrective to partially strip the henna/indigo from my hair. I will not be using henna with BKT in the future and I'm slowly removing the henna buildup before each BKT application.

...I used Marcia Advanced yesterday, my hair is much softer - and straighter after the rinse out/blow out today than it was with QOD Gold. I do have to say that the smell is much stronger and less pleasant than the Gold, but I received better results - especially in my resistant back area.

-basic info: fine/medium density strands, 2.5 inches of new growth. Applied BKT to roots only, but it coated the ends on the 5 min. combout. Used Izunami flatiron 360 degree 7-10 passes on new growth, 2-3 passes on relaxed ends.

just caught up the last 5 pages i missed.
someone asked how long i've bkt'ed: i did my first one in nov '09, did another one 2wks later, and about every 9 weeks since.

can't wait to do my next one next month to see how much straighter it gets. since i have so much qod gold i'll wait on getting the marcia

HijabiFlygirl

Is there a reason why you are no longer Henna-ing with BKT...

Just want to get the lowdown before I try this myself....

TIA :grin:

Hey Pos.Rad. I love henna - BUT, I don't necessarily believe henna and BKT work together. Please do not take this as the scientific answer as to why not, I just am trying to keep things simple, and since I know henna coats, I want to be sure I am not wasting my BKT on not working as successfully as it could.

I still use my other ayuvedic powders and wash my hair with shikakai, but I'm omitting henna from the reggie.

On the subject, there is a product on the market along the same lines as BKT supposedly, but I believe its more like Japanese straightening. This product, Kerasmooth, uses henna as an active ingred. but it is based on Thio perm (NOT usable for relaxer users!) So henna does have straightening properties. Just FYI.

I guess if you wanted to be clear and conduct an experiment, I'd henna one section, and leave another naked (maybe the back half of the head) - then BKT both sides and note the results over time.

I know I'm suppose to be on a hair hiatus, but I found some good information this weekend that I wanted to share.

On Saturday, I noticed this black lady walk into my class with long, shiny, silky hair. When she walked in, her hair was bouncing with almost every step she took. lol I'd noticed her hair before. It's natural with loose curls, and she usually has it pinned up. Well, in class, I overheard her talking about this treatment that she had done to her hair that was called the *brazilian keratin treatment*. Of course, I had to get in that conversation. I complimented her hair, and started asking for specifics.

She said she had been researching the treatment for a bit. She found a guy that works at a salon in River Oaks that offers the treatment on the side. She wasn't sure what brand, but she did mention that it wasn't Coppola, and it did have formaldeyde. The guy did it in his apartment. Her boyfriend went with her just in case, but left as soon as he saw the guy was more interested in him than her, he left. lol

This part had me kind of cracking up. I asked her how much it cost, and she looked at my hair (current neck length weave), and said 'oh, it probably won't be expensive for you. Since I have long hair, it cost me $150". I was cracking up inside. Granted..she does have BSL hair, but so do I. I think she'll be in a rude awakening this summer. lol I don't get why everyone automatically assumes you have to be bald to wear a weave.

Anywho, at least I have the guy's contact number. If anyone is interested, PM me.

UPDATE:

I just called and spoke to him, and he's sooooooo sweet! :) He said he charges 160-180, and he has the conditioner and shampoo $15 each. He uses the Marcia Texeira Keratin treatment, and that's the exact one that I was interested in. He is available on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays after 5:30p. He's around the Galleria area - 59 and Chimney Rock.

Oh yeah, I loved this part, he GUARANTEES that you will love it! He hasn't had any complaints, and he said if you had any problems that he would work with you to make sure you'll be happy.

I'm coming to Texas to visit. Please have my room prepared!:grin:

I can't wait till you get it.

See this is what got me thinking that maybe with AA hair we can turn the heat down...:scratchch

My reasoning for this is because type 1 - 2 and maybe type 3 hair has more cuticle layers and therefore protection and is thus more resilient to heat and therefore is likely to need more heat to seal in the BKT.

Type 4 Hair however (esp fine type 4 hair) has fewer cuticle layers (hence why it curls up on itself) and therefore I feel that we could probably get away with less heat. My BKT got my hair straight at 200 with 4 -5 passes (UK metrics don't know what that is US???). I also did not do the naked blow-dry and dried under my bonnet dryer instead on low. Next time I think I will just air dry.

So next time I may experiment at 190.... :scratchch

Ladies let me know if you have had exp of turning down the heat and still getting good results. I am sure that as time progresses there will be BKT on the market just for our hair with lower heat settings....:yep:

ETA: I think I will also use a pressing comb lightly to get the roots straight first which I hope will also decrease the number of passes needed.
Stella, is that you? :lol: My stylist used a pressing comb for my roots at the front hairline. :yep: This is the one reason why I'm hesitant to do the treatment myself...I can handle the flat iron part, but I have no experience with using a pressing comb. And my hairline definitely needs to be pressed.

Thx for the welcome...I henna also and was wondering how the hair would react with BKT..keep us posted..I can't wait to henna again.
I used henna one week before my BKT, and the results were great. I got a very straight result, so henna DID NOT inhibit the BKT's adhesion to my hair. I feel that the henna might've helped protect me from heat damage, and then the keratin sealed in the color for a beautiful result.

I DC'd with steam and caramel treatments 2-3 times in the week between my henna and my BKT. So I had no dryness, and my hair was in pretty good condition before the BKT.

I plan on letting my BKT wear off completely before doing it again, so I will definitely henna again before my next treatment.

I did clarify twice and on the second shampoo I let sit 10min then rinse. I don't moisturize my ends daily because every one I used leave my have greasy like but no moisture and the first ingredient is water and I would seal. What do you use on your fine ends?
I have a great new moisturizer for fine hair. It's the Moku Hair Serum from Komaza, and it contains strengthening lacto-ceramides. It's very lightweight, and works great on straightened hair without weighing it down.

Some of my other favorites are Afroveda Miss Bhree Moisture Lotion, Komaza Shea Butter Lotion, and Komaza Califia Moisture Cream (for Type 4 hair). A creamy leave-in like Harveda's Whipped Cream also works well. All of these products give me great moisture without the greasy feeling.

Stella, is that you? :lol: My stylist used a pressing comb for my roots at the front hairline. :yep: This is the one reason why I'm hesitant to do the treatment myself...I can handle the flat iron part, but I have no experience with using a pressing comb. And my hairline definitely needs to be pressed.

Hey sweetie - yes it;s me !!! :lol:

Have been thinking of changing things up for a while so finally did it. I realised tho that when I logged in that the mods had incorrectly spelled my new Username :lol: :ohwell:

Re the pressing comb - thanks for the information. I will let my friend know for next time....

I used henna one week before my BKT, and the results were great. I got a very straight result, so henna DID NOT inhibit the BKT's adhesion to my hair. I feel that the henna might've helped protect me from heat damage, and then the keratin sealed in the color for a beautiful result.

Glad to see that the Henna is beneficial to both your hair and the BKT. I have very fine hair (or Angel hair as DH calls it) so I needs to give my strands some TLC to replace what BKT will inevitably take from it. The reason I asked this question earlier is bc on another board someone mentioned that Henna made the hair more porous and thus receptive to the BKT.

Do you think it would be ok to use Henna Indigo? Also sorry to bombard you with questions mstar but what brand of Henna do you use?

I DC'd with steam and caramel treatments 2-3 times in the week between my henna and my BKT. So I had no dryness, and my hair was in pretty good condition before the BKT.

Taking notes.....

Some of my other favorites are Afroveda Miss Bhree Moisture Lotion, Komaza Shea Butter Lotion, and Komaza Califia Moisture Cream (for Type 4 hair). A creamy leave-in like Harveda's Whipped Cream also works well. All of these products give me great moisture without the greasy feeling.

Taking notes again and now have more inspiration for that "list" ....

Glad to see that the Henna is beneficial to both your hair and the BKT. I have very fine hair (or Angel hair as DH calls it) so I needs to give my strands some TLC to replace what BKT will inevitably take from it. The reason I asked this question earlier is bc on another board someone mentioned that Henna made the hair more porous and thus receptive to the BKT.

Do you think it would be ok to use Henna Indigo? Also sorry to bombard you with questions mstar but what brand of Henna do you use?
I use Lush henna, Caca Rouge. It's the only brand I've ever used, and it's been giving me great results for almost a year now. (my hair is beyond fine...it is "angel hair" like yours. My old stylist told me it would take about 12 stands of my hair to equal one strand of one of her other clients' hair. :blush: So I need all the extra protection I can get, and I feel like henna helps tremendously with this.)

I don't think henna makes the hair more porous. It acts as a sealant, kind of like BKT. This is why some ladies are hesitant to BKT over henna (they think henna will prevent the keratin from adhering), but I didn't have that experience. My BKT adhered just fine.

My stylist did a porosity test before applying my BKT, and she said my hair was not porous. But this didn't negatively affect the treatment.

Taking notes again and now have more inspiration for that "list" ....
I swear you betta go head and give me that list. Don't make me fly out there...:lachen:

I use Lush henna, Caca Rouge. It's the only brand I've ever used, and it's been giving me great results for almost a year now. (my hair is beyond fine...it is "angel hair" like yours. My old stylist told me it would take about 12 stands of my hair to equal one strand of one of her other clients' hair. :blush: So I need all the extra protection I can get, and I feel like henna helps tremendously with this.)

I don't think henna makes the hair more porous. It acts as a sealant, kind of like BKT. This is why some ladies are hesitant to BKT over henna (they think henna will prevent the keratin from adhering), but I didn't have that experience. My BKT adhered just fine.

My stylist did a porosity test before applying my BKT, and she said my hair was not porous. But this didn't negatively affect the treatment.

I didn't even know Lush made Henna. I will be making a little trip down there.....:scratchch

Good to know though that Henna will help strengthen up my strands. One of the reasons I had to stop relaxing was bc I just realised my little strands couldn't take it anymore. :lol:

I swear you betta go head and give me that list. Don't make me fly out there...:lachen:

Okay lady you asked for it ..... check your pms tomorrow :yep:

Speak soon Mstar

xx

Muse I ordered the Split Ender it should be here this week...I hope it works I've heard mixed reviews.

MSRR, please let me know how you like it. I have been hearing mixed reviews too. I was watching one youtube review on it and the girl said that the ORIGINAL Split Ender is good but a lot of the bad reviews are probably from the knock offs sold in stores. This would be so good for me because then I wouldn't get discouraged about losing so much length at one time or being uneven.

Oh I cannot wait to get that flat iron. HijabiFlygirl, how does it compare to other irons when doing BKT. What is your hair type? Are you relaxed? I like the idea that it doesn't go over 400 degrees but I still don't know if that's enough to get my natural 4b roots.

@Muse: The Izunami goes to 450 or as it says "Keratin Treatment." 450 on my hair smells burned, no way around it - I can't do it. I did do a test strand in the back of my hair (where I coat it alittle heavier) and it smoked/smelled something terrible. 400 is doable, but still a bit much for me, so I dial it back to 360, the next setting down, and used more strokes. I am not afraid of using heat. My crown is less resistant than the back, but I still followed the same number of strokes on my new growth, 7-10 rocking the roots, and only one pass on the relaxed ends.

Where the Izunami is superior than other flatirons: IT DOES NOT SNAG!!! I have a mix of textures and the strand density differs too, but it is mostly medium with fine here and there. Other irons have snagged my ends, created too much tension, didn't get all the strands straight throughout the section, and/or felt very rough while passing over the hair. You do not need to "press" the plates as the heat is very even and consistent. I have worked on a few clients w/it and they have said the same in comparison to their own flatirons at home. I am extremely pleased with my purchase.

My hair has no curl definition in its unrelaxed state, and the 360 did not burn my scalp and allowed me to get my roots and front edges very well.

At the hairshow, Marcia Teixeria's booth sold the Izunami in their bundled package.

I will be growing out my bone straight relaxer with Marcia Advanced.

@Muse: The Izunami goes to 450 or as it says "Keratin Treatment." 450 on my hair smells burned, no way around it - I can't do it. I did do a test strand in the back of my hair (where I coat it alittle heavier) and it smoked/smelled something terrible. 400 is doable, but still a bit much for me, so I dial it back to 360, the next setting down, and used more strokes. I am not afraid of using heat. My crown is less resistant than the back, but I still followed the same number of strokes on my new growth, 7-10 rocking the roots, and only one pass on the relaxed ends.

Where the Izunami is superior than other flatirons: IT DOES NOT SNAG!!! I have a mix of textures and the strand density differs too, but it is mostly medium with fine here and there. Other irons have snagged my ends, created too much tension, didn't get all the strands straight throughout the section, and/or felt very rough while passing over the hair. You do not need to "press" the plates as the heat is very even and consistent. I have worked on a few clients w/it and they have said the same in comparison to their own flatirons at home. I am extremely pleased with my purchase.

My hair has no curl definition in its unrelaxed state, and the 360 did not burn my scalp and allowed me to get my roots and front edges very well.

At the hairshow, Marcia Teixeria's booth sold the Izunami in their bundled package.

I will be growing out my bone straight relaxer with Marcia Advanced.

Thanks HijabiFlygirl! Very informative. I will be getting this iron for sure.

UPDATE:

I'm new to the thread and dont know how to get your email address to PM you...However,I would love the number. Ok I figured out how tom PM...lol

Last edited:
Hey guys -

I was just wondering if most people are still getting their treatments from eBay. Any recommended sellers?

Also, for those who buy large bottles, how do you store them and does the treatment expire? I know that when I had a 4oz bottle the consistency became very chunky after a couple of months so I threw it out.

How do you like the Izunami flatiron? I was thinking about getting one. Is there a reasong why you will no longer do the henna on your BKT hair? You think it will be damaging? I love henna.

How do you like the Izunami flatiron? I was thinking about getting one. Is there a reasong why you will no longer do the henna on your BKT hair? You think it will be damaging? I love henna. Disregard, I see the other posts now.

MSRR, please let me know how you like it. I have been hearing mixed reviews too. I was watching one youtube review on it and the girl said that the ORIGINAL Split Ender is good but a lot of the bad reviews are probably from the knock offs sold in stores. This would be so good for me because then I wouldn't get discouraged about losing so much length at one time or being uneven.
I got my split ender on yesterday and I ordered directly from the company and I like it. I can tell a difference in the way my hair felt after as before it was kind of rough towards my ends and was snaging a bit. I will definetly continue to use it...I use the splitender10 coupon for a $10 discount and although they only offer pink and blue, I sent an email and ask for the green color and they respond saying if they had one in stock they will send it and they did... Oh and it does not take alot of hair off it does exactly what it says...My hair felt great afterwards.

I plan on letting my BKT wear off completely before doing it again, so I will definitely henna again before my next treatment.

I have a great new moisturizer for fine hair. It's the Moku Hair Serum from Komaza, and it contains strengthening lacto-ceramides. It's very lightweight, and works great on straightened hair without weighing it down.

Where can I purchase the moisturizer you mention? I bought the Mizani intense night treatment on Monday and so far so good. You said you henna a week before your BKT, so when you henna it was not on BKT hair at all? Because I want to henna but I BKT about a week and half ago and want to know if it would be safe or I should wait until it wears off like you said. Oh which BKT did you used?

Hey guys -

I was just wondering if most people are still getting their treatments from eBay. Any recommended sellers?

Also, for those who buy large bottles, how do you store them and does the treatment expire? I know that when I had a 4oz bottle the consistency became very chunky after a couple of months so I threw it out.
I puchased the Qod Gold from Keratin4you and I got it in 2 days and it was free shipping. They were also good with responding to your questions in a timely manor.

Last edited:
I used on my BKt a PHI Pro Series tourmaline ceramic iron that I bought from TJ Maxx and it says on the box 100% solid plates it goes to 360 degrees and has no temp dial. It was only $19.99. Its sounds good but I was wondering why it was so cheap if its 100%tourmaline ceramic plates...should I keep it or invest in another brand. It smelled funny also..maybe this was because it was my first time using it.

Last edited:
Okay, so I took the plunge. So far, so good. Marcia Tex Chocolate. Will updated Saturday after wash with details.

Last edited:
I have a question. Has anyone done this treatment and then weaved up. I was just wondering if that would be okay?

This is what I have been doing for my last two installs. I have noticed that my take down has been easier, and I have less breakage. My hair is also so much easier to braid, and the braids lay flatter. I plan to BKT again in about two weeks and I will be doing another install immediately after my first wash.

I got my split ender on yesterday and I ordered directly from the company and I like it. I can tell a difference in the way my hair felt after as before it was kind of rough towards my ends and was snaging a bit. I will definetly continue to use it...I use the splitender10 coupon for a $10 discount and although they only offer pink and blue, I sent an email and ask for the green color and they respond saying if they had one in stock they will send it and they did... Oh and it does not take alot of hair off it does exactly what it says...My hair felt great afterwards.

Thanks for the review! I can't wait to get mine!

I may be late on this...but did yall see Brittany's latest youtube where she won't be doing the BKT on her hair anymore? She never really said why.

Back