Keratin Treatment Support Thread

It looks like you posted the whole article. I was looking for the complete list of everything they tested, including the brands that tested okay.

Now check this out! There is a supposedly vegan BKT - Zerran! Here's the link and article to follow! Still I think I will wait to see concerning performance and side effects..
Zerran International Launches Reallisse™ Vegan Hair Smoothing System at ISSE

Vegan Hair Care Innovator Marks 25 Years in Pro Beauty and Salon Industry with a New Hair Smoothing Treatment Free of Formaldehyde and Keratin.

North Hollywood, CA (PRWEB) January 26, 2011

As evidence mounts regarding the toxic dangers of Brazilian keratin-type hair smoothing treatments, Zerran International announces Reallisse™, the world's first 100 percent vegan semi-permanent hair smoothing system. This patent protected product is formulated without keratin or other animal products and contains absolutely no formaldehyde, aldehydes, thioglycolates, sodium hydroxide, guanidine hydroxide, methylene glycol, formol, formalin, ethers, or any other substance that produces formaldehyde gas upon heating with a flatiron.

In development over the past year, Reallisse™ was designed to follow the roll out of Reform®, Zerran’s patented method for permanent hair straightening, also free of toxic formaldehyde and other related dangerous and harmful substances. Reallisse™ is a professional system exclusively for use as an in-salon service.

“Reallisse™ was already in our innovation pipeline for 2011,” states Zerran marketing director Cindy Van Steelandt. “But with the formaldehyde issues arising from the EU ban of certain keratin straightening products in the summer of 2010 and the Oregon OSHA investigations last fall, it was essential that we support the stylist community with a healthy alternative product for hair smoothing.

“As a well-established entrepreneurial company serving the professional salon industry since 1986, we already held patents to the critical components of this product,” Van Steelandt says. “So we were able to react quickly and devote our resources to bringing this product to market.” Van Steelandt notes that Reallisse™ is debuting in January 2011 at the ISSE Long Beach, a pro beauty industry show. “We have a network of stylists who are trying out the system in major metropolitan areas coast to coast with excellent results.”

Hands-on education is an essential part of the philosophy. “The Reallisse™ technique is similar to the keratin smoothing process, so after taking our training, the stylist can immediately offer this lucrative, in-demand salon service,” Van Steelandt explains. “The Reallisse™ process itself takes about 90 minutes to complete for the average head of hair. Follow-up services will depend on how quickly hair grows out and degree of natural curl and frizziness present, so clients will likely return to the salon every two to four months for touch ups, just as they do now for Brazilian keratin-type treatments. Clients are reporting a 50 percent reduction in styling time following a Reallisse™ service.”

An effective and non-toxic solution for curly and frizzy hair is more than just vanity. According to a recent study conducted by Yale University professor Marianne LaFrance, women are embarrassed when they think they're having a "bad hair day." Hair smoothing empowers women by giving them more control over their curly, frizzy hair and contributes to their overall self esteem and sense of well-being.

About Reallisse™ Vegan Hair Smoothing System
A revolutionary Catalyst introduces vegan proteins from wheat, corn and oats to the hair shaft. The heat-activated formula eliminates frizz and reduces unwanted curl and unruly volume. A flat iron developed to Zerran specifications,
meeting the 450 F° heat standard, is recommended for superior results.

* pH balanced
* NO masks or scalp balms required
* NO special venting system needed
* NO irritating fumes
* NO harsh chemicals
* Average treatment time is 90 minutes
* Hair may be washed 24 hours following treatment
* Hair will have natural body, movement and be responsive to thermal curling
* Treatment effects will last from 2 - 4 months, depending upon client variables

About Zerran International
Zerran International Corporation is a privately owned manufacturer and global distributor of Zerran Hair Care products for the professional salon industry. Based on intensive scientific research and centuries-old botanical tradition, the company has formulated and delivered 100 percent vegan shampoos, conditioners and styling products utilizing renewable botanical extracts and essential oils since 1986. Zerran International Corporation is headquartered in Los Angeles, California. Visit Zerran International at Booth 430 at ISSE, Long Beach Convention Center. Welcome to Zerran Hair Care, where beautiful hair happens naturally - Home

###
Contact

* Cindy Van Steelandt
Zerran International
Email

* Kyrian Corona
Makeover Media
Email

They also have something else called Reform. We shall see when they make this available for retail..."Zerran's Reform is a permanent straightening system that gives you naturally smooth, straight hair without the use of harsh chemicals. No formaldehyde, no aldehydes,sodium hydroxide or thioglycolates. Vegan proteins and specific heat transform your hair gently and naturally. Ask your professional stylist for a swatch test!"
YouTube - Zerran Reform Before and After Gallery

Last edited:
It looks like you posted the whole article. I was looking for the complete list of everything they tested, including the brands that tested okay.

Right, I was going back to check the link and noticed it acting weird, will find it again...

Ok, check this link:
Several professional hair smoothing solutions contain formaldehyde - Health Canada Advisory 2010-12-10

And this is the original site I found the article while checking for softliss formaldehyde levels. Be forewarned, these folks are rabid BKT-haters! :lol: they ain't playin! But they really give good insights when you really want to know what is what:
Brazilian Straightening Systems - An Article FYI & SAFETY! - hairbrained

Errrum, and here is the Canadian article...that link may be broken...
10 hair straightening products centre of Health Canada warning

Interesting comments here...
BKT or Brazilian Keratin Treatment - Formaldehyde-free Alternatives

Irish Recall Info
http://www.imb.ie/images/uploaded/d... Straightening Products – Update Nov. 2nd.pdf

Will update if I get more...HTH! HHG!

Last edited:
I hope this product is available soon. I want something natural and this seems to be the answer to my prayers.

Now check this out! There is a supposedly vegan BKT - Zerran! Here's the link and article to follow! Still I think I will wait to see concerning performance and side effects..

Vegan Hair Care Innovator Marks 25 Years in Pro Beauty and Salon Industry with a New Hair Smoothing Treatment Free of Formaldehyde and Keratin.

North Hollywood, CA (PRWEB) January 26, 2011

As evidence mounts regarding the toxic dangers of Brazilian keratin-type hair smoothing treatments, Zerran International announces Reallisse™, the world's first 100 percent vegan semi-permanent hair smoothing system. This patent protected product is formulated without keratin or other animal products and contains absolutely no formaldehyde, aldehydes, thioglycolates, sodium hydroxide, guanidine hydroxide, methylene glycol, formol, formalin, ethers, or any other substance that produces formaldehyde gas upon heating with a flatiron.

In development over the past year, Reallisse™ was designed to follow the roll out of Reform®, Zerran’s patented method for permanent hair straightening, also free of toxic formaldehyde and other related dangerous and harmful substances. Reallisse™ is a professional system exclusively for use as an in-salon service.

“Reallisse™ was already in our innovation pipeline for 2011,” states Zerran marketing director Cindy Van Steelandt. “But with the formaldehyde issues arising from the EU ban of certain keratin straightening products in the summer of 2010 and the Oregon OSHA investigations last fall, it was essential that we support the stylist community with a healthy alternative product for hair smoothing.

“As a well-established entrepreneurial company serving the professional salon industry since 1986, we already held patents to the critical components of this product,” Van Steelandt says. “So we were able to react quickly and devote our resources to bringing this product to market.” Van Steelandt notes that Reallisse™ is debuting in January 2011 at the ISSE Long Beach, a pro beauty industry show. “We have a network of stylists who are trying out the system in major metropolitan areas coast to coast with excellent results.”

Hands-on education is an essential part of the philosophy. “The Reallisse™ technique is similar to the keratin smoothing process, so after taking our training, the stylist can immediately offer this lucrative, in-demand salon service,” Van Steelandt explains. “The Reallisse™ process itself takes about 90 minutes to complete for the average head of hair. Follow-up services will depend on how quickly hair grows out and degree of natural curl and frizziness present, so clients will likely return to the salon every two to four months for touch ups, just as they do now for Brazilian keratin-type treatments. Clients are reporting a 50 percent reduction in styling time following a Reallisse™ service.”

An effective and non-toxic solution for curly and frizzy hair is more than just vanity. According to a recent study conducted by Yale University professor Marianne LaFrance, women are embarrassed when they think they're having a "bad hair day." Hair smoothing empowers women by giving them more control over their curly, frizzy hair and contributes to their overall self esteem and sense of well-being.

About Reallisse™ Vegan Hair Smoothing System
A revolutionary Catalyst introduces vegan proteins from wheat, corn and oats to the hair shaft. The heat-activated formula eliminates frizz and reduces unwanted curl and unruly volume. A flat iron developed to Zerran specifications,
meeting the 450 F° heat standard, is recommended for superior results.

* pH balanced
* NO masks or scalp balms required
* NO special venting system needed
* NO irritating fumes
* NO harsh chemicals
* Average treatment time is 90 minutes
* Hair may be washed 24 hours following treatment
* Hair will have natural body, movement and be responsive to thermal curling
* Treatment effects will last from 2 - 4 months, depending upon client variables

About Zerran International
Zerran International Corporation is a privately owned manufacturer and global distributor of Zerran Hair Care products for the professional salon industry. Based on intensive scientific research and centuries-old botanical tradition, the company has formulated and delivered 100 percent vegan shampoos, conditioners and styling products utilizing renewable botanical extracts and essential oils since 1986. Zerran International Corporation is headquartered in Los Angeles, California. Visit Zerran International at Booth 430 at ISSE, Long Beach Convention Center. Welcome to Zerran Hair Care, where beautiful hair happens naturally - Home

###
Contact

* Cindy Van Steelandt
Zerran International
Email

* Kyrian Corona
Makeover Media
Email

They also have something else called Reform. We shall see when they make this available for retail..."Zerran's Reform is a permanent straightening system that gives you naturally smooth, straight hair without the use of harsh chemicals. No formaldehyde, no aldehydes,sodium hydroxide or thioglycolates. Vegan proteins and specific heat transform your hair gently and naturally. Ask your professional stylist for a swatch test!"
YouTube - Zerran Reform Before and After Gallery

I hope this product is available soon. I want something natural and this seems to be the answer to my prayers.

Girl, we are here <>! But go to the website and see if they offer it near you. They are not close enough to me yet, so I will wait. One thing I don't like is no keratin in it, they said wheat, corn and oat proteins. :/ Kinda kills my joy a little. A little too vegan, ugh!

In the meantime, I shall research Keratin Shot, Inoar Morrocan Brush and Simply Smooth from American Culture and see what I find... Keep me posted on your progress! HHG!

Last edited:
Hey ladies,

I barely ever post but I am a longtime member and constant lurker lol :lachen: Anyway I just wanted to post the results of my 2nd BKT. The 1st I did in November 2010 at a salon with QOD Max which I liked. So I got a 4oz bottle on Ebay and did this 2nd treatment myself at home. It was fine, no fumes or irritation to speak of, just some burnt fingers from my flat iron (my technique leaves MUCH to be desired haha :blush:) Any way it turned out fine I think. I have a 48 hour rest period beofre I can wash. I am a transitioner - my last relaxer was Feb 2010 and I can't believe it's been a year already. I had cut my hair into a bob in November and my plan is to BKT until I trim off all the texlaxed hair, then see where it goes from there. Here are my results!

I had the same experience with Coppola Infusion. The stylist used on my hair at the salon in the same manner you would use a styling cream after shampooing an conditioning my hair and I swear my hair looked like I had *just* gotten a full-out Keratin treatment. I LOVE this product. I could get away with maybe 3 treatments a year just by using this product as maintenance / keratin refresher!! BTW, you can purchase this product at ULTA.
I think I want to try this!

Eisani please update when you get the infusion. i plan on getting it later this week. i am also interested in the vegan bkt.

if i could find a safe,fume free bkt that i dont need gloves to use, that washes out after i dont use it for a while and still gives a noticable smoothing effect i would happily jump back on the bandwagon

Checking back in!!!

I'm about to do my second BKT - either this weekend or next weekend. So far, it's done EXACTLY what I've hoped - made detangling SO much easier, and increased/improved my retention despite my use of chemical color. I haven't worn it straight since I first applied it, so I don't know how that would look. I totally forgot about the post-wash pictures - I think I might have one or two - I'll have to look. I'll try to remember to post pics this go-around. The only thing I'm considering changing is perhaps using a TINY bit more product. We'll see.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Have any of you tried La Braziliana Spruzzi. It comes in 2 forms, zero and 24hr. It LB's newest type of BKT. Spruzzi Zero has no formaldehyde and I am not sure about the Spruzzi 24hr one. It is much more affordable but only lasts 2 months. The application is also easier from what I could tell. I am particularly interessted in the Spruzzi variety. Please let me know if you guys have tried it and what the results have been like.

I had a La Brasiliana BKT done in late September at Ted Gibson's and am due for another one. Though the results were subtle;I didn't run into any problems with my hair or side effects; and I was pleased. However, I am looking for a much more affordable option w/less risk of side effects this time around. When it comes to chemical services, I am a salon kind of girl but am thinking of doing it myself. I would just need one w/really straight forward application.

Also, if you guys know of anyone who does a good job on BKTs at affordable rates and is located in DC/MD/VA area, please let me know.

Thanks guys!

I have 4oz of Global Keratin JUVEXIN available for $45, shipping included. Please PM me if you're interested. It's the Strawberry scent with 2% formaldehyde.

I am selling because i no longer BKT my hair. thanks!

Ladies I got my hands on a Zerrans Reform Relaxer and I will post the ingredients of the reform activator and the process. I will not be able to try it since my hair dryer died.

bump im looking for any new formulas that may have come out that are safe. organix looks like it may be good but it doesnt seem like the hair will revert after use. i just want a temporary texturizer that goes away when i stop using it.....of all of the things i have used to alter my hair texture i have been most satisfied with the bkt but i just wish it was safer:sad:

here are some ones i am researching now

Keragreen
Chi enviro-straightens the hair
spruzzi keratin-slightly loosens curl
salerm keratin shot-straightens the hair
qod organiq
rio de keratin
surface smooth-seems like a relaxer(test strand)

hopefully since keratin treatments are trendy, new and safe formulas will be coming out

Last edited:
aw man! i am actually thinking of getting the organix treatment and diluting it:look:i would just try it on my edges first just to see how it works. these treatments are so daggone expensive! i see why some would rather just relax....

after a little more research i have narrowed it down to copolla keratin infusion and la brasiliana dieci. they are both expensive but not overly so.

Last edited:
I am still BkTing. Next month is my 2 year bkt anniversary! I still love it! My favorite BKT is QOD Max and Coppola.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Long Hair Care Forum App

Napp
I'm too lazy to even bother with it! I was using it to preserve my relaxed ends until I BC'd (next year), but my relaxed hair is doing well without it, and my natural hair is easily blown-out or straightened.

I still have 40ozs left, so I might give it to family/friends. It'll hurt, though, considering the big $$$ I spent on the 48oz bottle.

Last edited:
I am still BkTing. Next month is my 2 year bkt anniversary! I still love it! My favorite BKT is QOD Max and Coppola.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Long Hair Care Forum App

this thread used to be so bustling. it seems like alot of people who bkt'd left as well. the application is so tedious especially on afro textured hair..

Napp
I'm too lazy to even bother with it! I was using it to preserve my relaxed ends until I BC'd (next year), but my relaxed hair is doing well without it, and my natural hair is easily blown-out or straightened.

I still have 40ozs left, so I might give it to family/friends. It'll hurt, though, considering the big $$$ I spent on the 48oz bottle.

aww that sucks. i hate the application of regular bkts which is why i am looking some something i can apply like a leave in.

i think you should try selling sample sizes on ebay. that ay it wont go to a waste and belive me someone will buy:yep:

if the coppolla doesnt work out i will try the nunaat and if that doesnt work out i might go back to the ok keratin that i know works and the hair reverts after non use.

Last edited:
aww that sucks. i hate the application of regular bkts which is why i am looking some something i can apply like a leave in.

Keratin Express looks interesting. You put it on, comb it through and flat iron. Here's the MSDS.

It's been almost 2 years since my last BKT. I recently purchased more QOD Gold but I've been too lazy to apply it. :spinning:

Keratin Express looks interesting. You put it on, comb it through and flat iron. Here's the MSDS.

It's been almost 2 years since my last BKT. I recently purchased more QOD Gold but I've been too lazy to apply it. :spinning:

it still has aldehydes in it:sad: that means i would have to handle it with gloves which i dont want either. i am gonna try the coppola infusion tonight i did a test on my edges and it straighten my hair beatifully but when i wet my hair again i didnt see a difference. i hope it at leasts makes my hair stronger.

I'm thinking of trying a bkt... I saw Agi Max on amazon for about $60. I also saw Nunaat on ebay. Anyone see reviews on that yet?

Last edited:
SexyCap

i bought some nunaat Brazilian keratin reconstructor. its is the professional formula. here is whats on the bottle

Brazilian Keratin System Liquid Keratin 10.1 fl.oz. / 300 ml

This product acts directly on hair cortex and rebuilds hair fiber, leaving hair straighter, disciplined and with little volume. It also acts repidly to return strengh and vitality to the hair. It is formulated with vegetal keratin, which is resistant to rinsing and thus remains in the hair longer, promoting maximum hydration and helping to keep the hair more flexible and shiny.

How to use : Spray the product on hair and comb throughout length of hair, so that it is fully moistened. Make sure that the application is thorough. Brush with a hairdryer and finish with a ceramic heat iron 180C. Wait 10 minutes.

Ingredients : Aqua(water), Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Arginine, Aspartic Acid, PCA, Glycine, Alanine, Serine, Valine, Proline, Threnine, Isoleucine, Histidine, Phenylalanine, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Poliquaternium-4, Polyquaternium-10, Parfum(Fragrance[Benzyl Benzoate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Salicylate, Coumarin]), Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

Precaution: Keep out of reach of children.Store in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight.

it looks good so far. i am very interested in the underline parts. it sounds like it works and has staying power.

here is a video describing the application process. it looks very easy plus you do not need gloves or anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqPiRmskcPU&feature=player_embedded

there is also a maintenance formula that is out. i havent gotten the ingredients for it yet but the instructions are different(copied from ebay)

This is formulated with vegetal keratin, which is resistant to rinsing and thus remains in the hair longer keeping the hair more flexible and shiny. It is ideal for hair that has been straightened, dyed, exposed to sun, wind, sea salt, and chlorine, as well as blow-dried or ironed. It effectively penetrates hair structure, realigning it and reducing hair volume.

HOW To USE: Apply to hair, massaging product in from root to tip. It is not necessary to rinse. Brush with a hairdryer and finish with a ceramic heat iron.

this reconstructor looks like it is weaker but i cannot know for sure until i can get an ingredient list. here is the application

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mWLMj457LM&feature=player_embedded

notice that this reconstructor is not used alone.

i got my bottle today and did a small section of my hair and the edges. compared to my recently bkt'd hair with OK keratin, the hair is smoother,silkier and looser but the curl retained its spiral shape. when straighted the hair is very shiny,bone straight and kinda flyaway. it also feels stronger which surprised me. its very easy to apply just spray it on. you dont need excesive heat. they recommend 180 degress C and you only need 2 passes to get it bone straight. it smells like soap or powder but when flat ironed turns into a cologne smell. if you wanted to avoid heat you could spray it on,airdry and flat iron.

i will do a more thorough review when i do my whole head. i want to see how the small section reacts as time goes by and if it reverts.

i am really impressed that this form free products works:yep:the ingredients look ok to me but i could have missed something. it does have Methylisothiazolinone but i see that alot of board favorites do. i dont know how to feel about that:ohwell:

Last edited:
i stripped my old bkt and out this one in. it was alot of work so this betta give me nice results.my hair is very light and bouncy.i never thought i could get straight hair results like this with just a flat iron and a leave in. even if it doesnt work i think i will be using this to straighten from now on.

there was no fumes at all and i was able to blowdry and flat iron quickly with minimal breakage.(a little over and hour!) i did bring out my big daddy blowdryer with comb attachment because by that time i was soooo tired and didnt care anymore:look:

. this stuff really is resistant to rinsing because i didnt notice it was gone until stage 3 of the stripping which was an aphogee 2 step. as soon as i put that on my test area and edges shrunk and napped up:lol:

Last edited:
Back