Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Hi everyone! I was thinking about doing the BKT but I wanted to color as well. Do you guys think that I should do the color first or vice versa.

Gforeroy,

I've been getting highlights and I get them *before* the keratin treatments so that the color can take more evenly AND you won't waste your time/money on treatment only to have the color strip it and you have to reapply anyway. :-) HTH

You're a guru when it come to the treatments, I've been all up in this thread since it first started and now I'm taking matters into my own hands with doing my own treatments. Thank you so much for the response, I'll be sure to apply on damp hair :yep:.

Love Always,

I've been doing the treatments on my hair for 2 years in April 2011. With the exception of the first treatment I always apply the treatment on damp hair. That is too much unneccesary blowdrying. My hair HATES that too! Applying to damp hair has not adversly affected the treatments in any way. :) HTH

Ok I need your help peeps. I had the BLT done almost two months ago and now I am seeing weak spots in my hair that I can feel and mid shaft splits which I didn't have two months ago. I have not used direct heat since I go the bkt and not wet combing. Is this the late effects of heat damage? SHuold I do a protein treatment? I need some advice becasue I don't want to loose my hair!

On Nov. 29th, I BKT'ed my hair using dream hair. I have shoulder length hair and I used about 2 oz and flat iron at 320-350 degrees. I know that I used too much of the BKT product and I beklieve that it is causing major issues with my hair. It is very dry, brittle, and breaking. I have washed and conditioned it serveral times. It does not appear to be falling from the root in mass (no more than usual) but it is snapping and breaking. My hair is definitely thinned and shorter. It is almost as if the hair has disintegrated and disappeared into thin air.

If anyone has had this problem after using a BKT, I would appreciate your thoughts and insight in terms of what I should do to get the moisture level back up and to stop the breakage. I would rather not have to cut off all my hair and start anew but at this point, I am thinking that I might not have any other option and that it might be best to just get it over with. I know that if there is anything that an be done, that someone on LHCF will know and tell me what to do. You all are wonderful. Thanks for your help.

On Nov. 29th, I BKT'ed my hair using dream hair. I have shoulder length hair and I used about 2 oz and flat iron at 320-350 degrees. I know that I used too much of the BKT product and I beklieve that it is causing major issues with my hair. It is very dry, brittle, and breaking. I have washed and conditioned it serveral times. It does not appear to be falling from the root in mass (no more than usual) but it is snapping and breaking. My hair is definitely thinned and shorter. It is almost as if the hair has disintegrated and disappeared into thin air.

If anyone has had this problem after using a BKT, I would appreciate your thoughts and insight in terms of what I should do to get the moisture level back up and to stop the breakage. I would rather not have to cut off all my hair and start anew but at this point, I am thinking that I might not have any other option and that it might be best to just get it over with. I know that if there is anything that an be done, that someone on LHCF will know and tell me what to do. You all are wonderful. Thanks for your help.
Deborah, I'm sorry to hear that you're having breakage. Of all the BKT's I've used, Dreamhair has given me the most breakage. :(

I don't think you have to start anew, just really keep up with the deep conditioning. Since you're wanting to get whatever remnant of the Dreamhair out, don't worry about avoiding sulfates.

For me, the best shampoo/deep conditioner I consistently love is Aveda's Damage Control. Use their shampoo & get their intensive DC conditioner and leave it on with a heating cap for 20 mins each time you wash. You'll have healthy hair again in no time. That has been my experience. :)

Thanks Dak. I'll get the Aveda stuff right away. I really appreciate your help.

Deborah, I'm sorry to hear that you're having breakage. Of all the BKT's I've used, Dreamhair has given me the most breakage. :(

I don't think you have to start anew, just really keep up with the deep conditioning. Since you're wanting to get whatever remnant of the Dreamhair out, don't worry about avoiding sulfates.

For me, the best shampoo/deep conditioner I consistently love is Aveda's Damage Control. Use their shampoo & get their intensive DC conditioner and leave it on with a heating cap for 20 mins each time you wash. You'll have healthy hair again in no time. That has been my experience. :)

My hair is shedding and breaking due to a Brazillian Blowout. Anyone need shampoo conditioner and deep conditioner? I paid for it but now I just want the keratin out of my hair. I will sell it for so much cheaper than I bought it and it is brand new. I did not use any.

I haven't been in this thread for a minute!!

I've been busy being a workout queen. I'm going to revisit the BKT sometime in 2011 because my hair is getting thicker and longer and will need taming in the near future.

I'll catch up on my reading to find out what's new in the BKT, Keratin blowout world.

:hiya:

Dreamhair was a disaster for me! All other BKTs I tried worked great. Dreamhair was horrible.

I haven't been on in forever-ever, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried One n' Only Brazilian Tech Smoothing Treatment. I bought some on a whim when I was at Sally's yesterday (gift card for Christmas--woot!). I was planning to do a touch up, but by the time I got home, and got people out of my house, I knew I did not have the energy. So I decided to just shampoo and try this new stuff out...and I was really pleased with the results! My new growth calmed right down, and it only took a short time to blow dry (I air dry with the t-shirt method first, then blow dry on medium with a round brush). My hair was smooth and silky, not much different than after the first wash on a BKT. I might have to stock up on this stuff. I did not try the shampoo and conditioner, which are part of the line, just the treatment, which is sort of like a DC. So far, I'm liking it.

I haven't been on in forever-ever, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried One n' Only Brazilian Tech Smoothing Treatment. I bought some on a whim when I was at Sally's yesterday (gift card for Christmas--woot!). I was planning to do a touch up, but by the time I got home, and got people out of my house, I knew I did not have the energy. So I decided to just shampoo and try this new stuff out...and I was really pleased with the results! My new growth calmed right down, and it only took a short time to blow dry (I air dry with the t-shirt method first, then blow dry on medium with a round brush). My hair was smooth and silky, not much different than after the first wash on a BKT. I might have to stock up on this stuff. I did not try the shampoo and conditioner, which are part of the line, just the treatment, which is sort of like a DC. So far, I'm liking it.

I think this is a nice conditioner but I can't stand the smell! (reminds me of rotten grapefruit). But it did make my hair very soft. I found it super cheap at TJ Maxx.

I had the same experience with Coppola Infusion. The stylist used on my hair at the salon in the same manner you would use a styling cream after shampooing an conditioning my hair and I swear my hair looked like I had *just* gotten a full-out Keratin treatment. I LOVE this product. I could get away with maybe 3 treatments a year just by using this product as maintenance / keratin refresher!! BTW, you can purchase this product at ULTA.

Hmmm... this is an interesting thread. I'm thinking about doing a BKT much later in the year, but I'm a little worried about a burnt hair smell... and singeing off what hair I have.

Hi ladies!

I just did my QOD Max treatment on Wed., and also did a friend for a birthday, which she loooves, but always on the lookout for the safest option! Please read and take note in case you're using a harmful brand...

10 hair straightening products centre of Health Canada warning

By Bradley Bouzane, Postmedia News December 10, 2010 7:02 PM Be the first to post a comment

OTTAWA — Health Canada has put a stop-sale order on 10 hair-straightening products after they were found to contain excessive levels of formaldehyde.

The products, which are professional-grade and available in hair salons and typically not available to the public, have been linked to hair loss, watery eyes and other symptoms consistent with overexposure to formaldehyde.

Consumer complaints included reports of burning eyes, nose, and throat and breathing difficulties.

The order, which means providers should stop using the products immediately, was issued Friday evening.

Health Canada received at least 30 adverse-reaction reports to the use of the products. No deaths have been reported.

The Canada Border Service Agency has been advised to turn away the products, which originate in the United States, if they arrive at the border.

The affected products are: Brazilian Keratin Treatment, Advanced Brazilian Keratin Treatment, Chocolate Extreme De-Frizzing Treatment; Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy by Coppola; Global Keratin Taming System Strawberry; Global Keratin Taming System with Juvexin Strawberry Resistant; Global Keratin Taming System with Juvexin Strawberry Light Wave; Pro-Collagen RX Keratin Treatment; IStraight Keratin (Advanced Keratin Treatment); Brazilian Thermal Reconstruction.

The highest formaldehyde content was at seven per cent, while the lowest content among the affected products was 1.4 per cent, Health Canada said. Cosmetics are permitted in Canada to have up to 0.2 per cent formaldehyde for use as a preservative.

In October, high formaldehyde levels were discovered in Brazilian Blowout solution, another hair smoothing agent which is also available at Canadian hair salons.

Health Canada tests indicated the solution had 12 per cent formaldehyde.

Formaldehyde is a known irritant and has links to cancer when inhaled over a long time period.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/health/hair+straightening+products+centre+Hea...

HHG! Take care!

Last edited:
hey ladies!! i wanted to start BKTing my leave out when I get weaves and from the looks of it i could get away with one ounce right? and will my hair still blend in with yaki or should i get indian?? does it change your texture significantly??

ETA: also i want to buy the KT alone. i know i can just buy no sulfate shampoo and all but is the conditioning mask neccesary or can i replace that with a deep condition??

Last edited:
Anyone still use Marcia Teixeira? Where are you buying it from?

I've used QOD Gold the last 2 treatments, but thinking about going back to MT for these cold dry months.

no I don't use sulfur when KT is fresh. I can't say there is anything wrong with it, I just don't want to run the chance of having an allergic reaction.

I have one more application of QOD Gold and then I'm out. I may buy some more at the hair show. I definitely didn't like MT Advanced. I have another 4oz bottle if anyone wants to purchase.

I was thinking about applying sulfur sometime after two weeks post BKT. I have tried searching the internet to decide whether or not I should use sulfur products. All I could find was this:

Organic sulfur, or methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), is a naturally occurring mineral in the human body. Sulfur is a component of your hair's keratin protein. Keratin's structure is composed of sulfur-sulfur bonds called disulfide bonds, which give hair its strength and elasticity, according to the Natural Health and Longevity Resource Center. MSM can be taken as an oral supplement or applied topically to the scalp and it is believed to promote healthy hair growth, although scientific data has yet to back this claim. You can mix MSM powder with olive oil to create a scalp and deep conditioning treatment for your hair.

Read more: Hair Treatment with a Sulfur & Olive Oil Mix | eHow.com Hair Treatment with a Sulfur & Olive Oil Mix | eHow.com

Hi Ladies, Freshmen here seeking advice from Senior Bkt 'ers. I want to try GK Hair Taming System but they have three formulas: Light Wave, Curly, & Resistant. I have a my hair Tex-laxed ( see pic) I would like to keep the curl what formula should I go with? TIA

Attachments

• 25596_1271187618820_1203762124_30633810_2817299_n.jpg
    25596_1271187618820_1203762124_30633810_2817299_n.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 68
Anyone else use this Salerm brand? My sister wants to BKT her natural, shoulder length hair and she said she only trusts me to do it. The Dominican BSS near my mom's house sells this for about $100. I hope I don't make my sister bald LOL

BostonMaria if you use Salerm BKT please update us on the results. I was eyeing this product the other week.

Hey Blessed, my sister ended up purchasing the Salerm Keratin Shot off of Ebay. It was $150 and it included the Keratin Shot, Shampoo, comb and spray bottle. She said that next time she's only going to buy the keratin shot by itself and just purchase a sulfate-free shampoo. The kertain shot alone is $99 on Ebay. Its not worth the $50 for the rest of the stuff.

So anyway, I did this for my niece. I washed her hair with the shampoo... her hair was already tangled and it didn't help that I shampoo'd her hair. I was like how the heck do I detangle with no conditioner? So I had to spray some of the keratin shot on her hair to be able to detangle it. After I sectioned her hair off in 6 I followed the directions and applied it to her hair.

One thing I noticed is that it has a nice smell to it. Once I did the flatironing part there were fumes coming out and I inhaled it... lemme tell ya I had a MIGRAINE that lasted for hours. I felt sick to my stomach. Next time I do this (I have to do it again for my sister) I will open the window.

My niece's hair came out pretty. I didn't take any pictures at the end because I was feeling sick to my stomach. I will try to take pictures when my sister does it.

Thanks BostonMaria please keep us posted on this product :)

Anyone else have any updates/reviews on doing the Salerm Keratin shot at home?

I bought my first and only Marcia T from a BHM'er, who just emailed about a re -up.

Sending you the info via PM.

Anyone still use Marcia Teixeira? Where are you buying it from?

I've used QOD Gold the last 2 treatments, but thinking about going back to MT for these cold dry months.

Hi Ladies, Freshmen here seeking advice from Senior Bkt 'ers. I want to try GK Hair Taming System but they have three formulas: Light Wave, Curly, & Resistant. I have a my hair Tex-laxed ( see pic) I would like to keep the curl what formula should I go with? TIA

Just from looking at your picture (beautiful hair, btw!) I'm afraid that since you're texlaxed your hair is going to go bone straight if you BKT (regardless of formula).

Others might want to chime in...

Just from looking at your picture (beautiful hair, btw!) I'm afraid that since you're texlaxed your hair is going to go bone straight if you BKT (regardless of formula).

Others might want to chime in...

Yes, my hair us pretty much bone straight. The part that was relaxed really staight won't wave at all, but the taxlax stuff comes back. But be warned it may take awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I did my second BKT at home; the first one I had done in a salon but I didn't want ot go back because I felt that they used too much heat and my relaxed ends looked thin after the treatment.

Well the second treatment was a no go. My hair looks the same. I used Rejunvenol with collagen, the formaldehyde free one. I washed with shampoo twice, applied the BKT and combed through each section. Then blowed dry and flat ironed. When I washed three days later, not difference in my hair.

Also my hair after a BKT isn;t sof tand shiny but gross and itck (both times I had the treatment)

Anyone have any suggestions? I used several passes of heat and in small sections but the treatment didn't seem to take. I bought a full bottle of the stuff and if I can't ueit at home then I'm out money!!! I don't want to go back to the salon if I don't have to b/c its so expenisve in this city (starting at 200, and I have long hair so more like 250 to 300)

I had the same experience with Coppola Infusion. The stylist used on my hair at the salon in the same manner you would use a styling cream after shampooing an conditioning my hair and I swear my hair looked like I had *just* gotten a full-out Keratin treatment. I LOVE this product. I could get away with maybe 3 treatments a year just by using this product as maintenance / keratin refresher!! BTW, you can purchase this product at ULTA.

I really want to try this.

I guess this means I need to part with my Marcia T...If I rodered it I might never get it.
nono.gif
It was working so well with me its not even funny.It did miracles for my hair.

Hi ladies!

I just did my QOD Max treatment on Wed., and also did a friend for a birthday, which she loooves, but always on the lookout for the safest option! Please read and take note in case you're using a harmful brand...

By Bradley Bouzane, Postmedia News December 10, 2010 7:02 PM Be the first to post a comment

OTTAWA — Health Canada has put a stop-sale order on 10 hair-straightening products after they were found to contain excessive levels of formaldehyde.

The products, which are professional-grade and available in hair salons and typically not available to the public, have been linked to hair loss, watery eyes and other symptoms consistent with overexposure to formaldehyde.

Consumer complaints included reports of burning eyes, nose, and throat and breathing difficulties.

The order, which means providers should stop using the products immediately, was issued Friday evening.

Health Canada received at least 30 adverse-reaction reports to the use of the products. No deaths have been reported.

The Canada Border Service Agency has been advised to turn away the products, which originate in the United States, if they arrive at the border.

The affected products are: Brazilian Keratin Treatment, Advanced Brazilian Keratin Treatment, Chocolate Extreme De-Frizzing Treatment; Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy by Coppola; Global Keratin Taming System Strawberry; Global Keratin Taming System with Juvexin Strawberry Resistant; Global Keratin Taming System with Juvexin Strawberry Light Wave; Pro-Collagen RX Keratin Treatment; IStraight Keratin (Advanced Keratin Treatment); Brazilian Thermal Reconstruction.

The highest formaldehyde content was at seven per cent, while the lowest content among the affected products was 1.4 per cent, Health Canada said. Cosmetics are permitted in Canada to have up to 0.2 per cent formaldehyde for use as a preservative.

In October, high formaldehyde levels were discovered in Brazilian Blowout solution, another hair smoothing agent which is also available at Canadian hair salons.

Formaldehyde is a known irritant and has links to cancer when inhaled over a long time period.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/health/hair+straightening+products+centre+Hea...

HHG! Take care!

Hi ladies!

HHG! Take care!

Thank you for posting this. I was just looking today at the Marcia Teixeira extreme de-frizzing treatment. I have a small bottle and used a portion of it a few months ago. I was considering using the remainder of it when my supply of the other brand I use wears out. When I first started using BKT I never thought I would still be using it a year or so later but I am. And with that in mind, I want to err on the side of caution. So, I'll be skipping the Marcia Teixeira and keeping this list handy. I'd love to know all of the brands they tested.

Thank you for posting this. I was just looking today at the Marcia Teixeira extreme de-frizzing treatment. I have a small bottle and used a portion of it a few months ago. I was considering using the remainder of it when my supply of the other brand I use wears out. When I first started using BKT I never thought I would still be using it a year or so later but I am. And with that in mind, I want to err on the side of caution. So, I'll be skipping the Marcia Teixeira and keeping this list handy. I'd love to know all of the brands they tested.

No problem, anything to help! I found the article doing a google search on formaldehyde levels of softliss, fyi...

Last edited:
Back