Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Ladies,

I purchased the new Dec/Jan. Sophisticates issue with Janet Jackson on the Cover and actress Vanessa L. Williams said she gets keratin treatments. She also listed a few no sulfate shampoos she loves. Vanessa, said she still relaxers her hair, BUT she does get 2 keratin treatments a year.

Q.How do you like to style your hair when you aren't on set?

Vanessa: I get it relaxed and I also get Keratin treatments twice a year to keep it smooth. So on days I'm not working I usually shampoo, spray on some Jingles leave-in conditioner, throw it back into a bun and let it air dry. When it's still a little damp I let it out of the bun to dry completely and then I run my fingers through it before I crul the ends with a CHI ceramic curling iron.

Here are the sulfate shampoos she uses:

AG Colour Savour Sulfate-Free shampoo
Nigelle ER shampoo "Because it locks in moisture"

I don't have a scanner but I hope this helps...

v

Wow thats interesting thanks for sharing. I just don't understand why she still chooses to relax her hair and use BKT. I think BKT alone is perfect but thats just me :)

Last edited:
Blessed777,

I agree! I don't need a relaxer with my BKT! I love it because I can have highlights without breakage; can't believe I've been BKT'ing almost 2 years! :-)

I love your hair Dove56! I hope more ladies jump on the BKT/ no relaxer bandwagon ... I retain much more length now vs. relaxing every 3 mths.

Has anyone tried the Salerm Shot Kit? My niece got this done at the salon and I am seriously considering getting it done because her virgin 4a hair came out sleek, shiny and bouncy.

Here is the link to the video on the product on YT :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKuCGAfPkew

Anyone else use this Salerm brand? My sister wants to BKT her natural, shoulder length hair and she said she only trusts me to do it. The Dominican BSS near my mom's house sells this for about $100. I hope I don't make my sister bald LOL

BostonMaria if you use Salerm BKT please update us on the results. I was eyeing this product the other week.

Hey Blessed, my sister ended up purchasing the Salerm Keratin Shot off of Ebay. It was $150 and it included the Keratin Shot, Shampoo, comb and spray bottle. She said that next time she's only going to buy the keratin shot by itself and just purchase a sulfate-free shampoo. The kertain shot alone is $99 on Ebay. Its not worth the $50 for the rest of the stuff.

So anyway, I did this for my niece. I washed her hair with the shampoo... her hair was already tangled and it didn't help that I shampoo'd her hair. I was like how the heck do I detangle with no conditioner? So I had to spray some of the keratin shot on her hair to be able to detangle it. After I sectioned her hair off in 6 I followed the directions and applied it to her hair.

One thing I noticed is that it has a nice smell to it. Once I did the flatironing part there were fumes coming out and I inhaled it... lemme tell ya I had a MIGRAINE that lasted for hours. I felt sick to my stomach. Next time I do this (I have to do it again for my sister) I will open the window.

My niece's hair came out pretty. I didn't take any pictures at the end because I was feeling sick to my stomach. I will try to take pictures when my sister does it.

My hair after my first BKT, although you may not be able to tell its much shinier and silkier than usual it feels great, so its definitely a keeper. How often can one BKT?
BKT.jpg
Sorry my mirror was kinda dirty

^^^^ disgtgyal, Your hair looks nice!!

Could you give us some specs (relaxed or natural?). What brand of BKT did you use?

ETA: Nevermind. I read back on the thread and see you used Global Keratin Juvexin (my personal favorite!)

Last edited:
Glad I found this thread... I've been really debating which brand/salon I should go to for this...

So are the main ones QOD, Coppola & Global?

I'm scheduled for a relaxer in 4 weeks, but would love to try the keratin treatment instead...

Thanks. I'm relaxed last relaxer end of aug with vitale life and body. I used global keratin strawberry 4%. I flat ironed on 320 and did 7 passes

Any BKT ladies also use henna, either for conditioning or color? Do you apply it after or before your BKT (waiting period)?

I purchased Reshma and Karishma, which one is better for auburn/brown tint on dark brown hair?

How does your hair react to both BKT and henna? do you use a special conditioner?

I just did a QOD Gold last Monday and would like to experiment once I get a little balance with my hair.

Thanks

Any BKT ladies also use henna, either for conditioning or color? Do you apply it after or before your BKT (waiting period)?

I purchased Reshma and Karishma, which one is better for auburn/brown tint on dark brown hair?

How does your hair react to both BKT and henna? do you use a special conditioner?

I just did a QOD Gold last Monday and would like to experiment once I get a little balance with my hair.

Thanks

Here you go, check this link...

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/hair-care-tips-product-review-discussion/499640-henna-over-bkt.html

HHG!

My BKT is done!!

I started around 9am, washing my hair with the Deep Cleanse. I did that in ten sections, detangling and then braiding up each section to dry. While I was letting it airdry, I went out and got a hairdryer. :lol:

Once my hair was mostly dry, I started applying the QOD Gold - I did it in those same ten sections, applying with my fingers and then combing through with a rattail comb.

Once that was done, I blowdried my whole head on cool, and then flatironed at 400.

My hair is amazingly light, and while I can DEFINITELY feel that it's heavier/smoother, it's still not quite heavy enough to have 'swang'. And, I realized I have no earthly clue what the heck to do with straight hair. Can I wrap it tonight?

I LOVE how it feels - very soft and smooth and heavy, and it's crazy straight but still has a lot of body. I can't wait to see what my curls look like. My ends are - meh. They are rougher than the rest of the hair, and still wanna tangle - but they look really straight. Can you use Rou Porosity Control on BKT'd hair?

If this works out well, I can see myself coloring & BKT'ing about every 8-10 weeks.....

Attachments

• IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 93
Congratulations, (it is an ordeal, isn't it?), but, wow, your pictures look beautiful! Great color! :yep:

It looks really good Kiya! Great job congrats. Yea I could see you doing it every 8 weeks too.

I don't know about using Roux. I've used Wella Regenal with it and it was good.

BostonMaria,

Do you mind listing the ingredients in the Keratin Shot Cream? I want to purchase but I can't find the ingredients anywhere! :-)

Ladies,

I just finished Doing my third BKT( the two first ones where with QOD gold, I felt my hair was too dry and didn't retain moisture well.My hair wasen't straight enought with it.)

Third time is a charm!!!!!! I used M.T Chocolate and my hair...OMG!!! Never had hair that straight before!!! I also used the M.T serum , I love the smell!!! and made my hair even more straight and it gave it a shine. I have volume and movement!!!

I wouldn't have never made without your ladies... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies,

I just finished Doing my third BKT( the two first ones where with QOD gold, I felt my hair was too dry and didn't retain moisture well.My hair wasen't straight enought with it.)

Third time is a charm!!!!!! I used M.T Chocolate and my hair...OMG!!! Never had hair that straight before!!! I also used the M.T serum , I love the smell!!! and made my hair even more straight and it gave it a shine. I have volume and movement!!!

I wouldn't have never made without your ladies... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

That's great but, where are the pictures?!:grin: Please...

How often can one BKT?
I know some of you in here are not waiting for the BKT to completely run out of the hair.How do you overlap( not sure its the correct term) it. Do you do this every 2 weeks at first to get the straightness you want and then only do it every 3 weeks or 4 weeks?

This is my first time with using chocolate MT. I was on QOD gold and after 3 weeks my hair would start reverting. I'm not sure when my hair this will happen with MT chocolate.

Anyone advice? When is it too early to do a bkt?

Hi everyone! I was thinking about doing the BKT but I wanted to color as well. Do you guys think that I should do the color first or vice versa.

@ gforceroy I'm not a BKT expert, but based on what keratin does to the hair, I would do the damaging stuff (e.g. relaxing, coloring, highlights) to my hair first and then apply the BKT after which would fortify my hair. I plan on relaxing soon, and two weeks after apply GK. Just my opinion... I'm sure if I'm wrong the lovely veteran BKT ladies will correct me.

Hey ladies, I just purchased QOD Max on Ebay. I decided to do my own treatments because the stylist I was going to doesn't do them anymore. Question, can I apply the treatment on towel dried hair? I really don't want to blow dry my hair twice :nono:.

Hey ladies, I just purchased QOD Max on Ebay. I decided to do my own treatments because the stylist I was going to doesn't do them anymore. Question, can I apply the treatment on towel dried hair? I really don't want to blow dry my hair twice :nono:.

Love Always,

I've been doing the treatments on my hair for 2 years in April 2011. With the exception of the first treatment I always apply the treatment on damp hair. That is too much unneccesary blowdrying. My hair HATES that too! Applying to damp hair has not adversly affected the treatments in any way. :) HTH

Last edited:
Does anyone know how often can a relaxed head BKT? I was thinking of doing it every four weeks.

Disgtgyal,

If you can do it every 8 weeks it's better because of all the passes of heat. I am transitioning (18 months post relaxer) and my new growth just doesn't like all of those passes of heat every 4 weeks and my natural hair is very strong. I'm going back to every 8-12 weeks for that reason. :yep:

Back