Keratin Treatment Support Thread

I was trying to find you Auburn's Liquid Keratin results. I even used google but was only able to find the cached page of it that didn't include her pictures :( :(

Have you considered using a bkt sample that you find on ebay? or from one of the ladies on the board? True BKT experience, same amount of heat, longer lasting results..

Last edited:
Hey M..
I swear by Pureology.. I use Nanoworks and Hydrate mostly.. I don't need volume .. so I've never used that.. I also use the blow drying agent and the flat iron spray.. and oh the serum..

Can you tell I LURVE Pureology.. ?? It's great for BKT maintenance.

The only BKT I am dying to try is the Juvexin.. I saw it on the local news.. and application and I was like O MG! The woman they tried it on had the kinkiest curliest hair you had ever saw.. when they applied Juvexin and her little round fro turned into APL shiny hair.

Then they had another girl who had hair similar to mine and they used another version of it on her.. did the process.. then REWET it and it looked like a fresh twist out when dry with no frizz.

I love that there's 3 versions of it too..

Light Wave
Curly
Resistant

Thank you for answering! I saw a thread a few days ago about someone using the LK but now I can't find it anymore. But those are good ideas!

I was trying to find you Auburn's Liquid Keratin results. I even used google but was only able to find the cached page of it that didn't include her pictures :( :(

Have you considered using a bkt sample that you find on ebay? or from one of the ladies on the board? True BKT experience, same amount of heat, longer lasting results..

BUMPING again...

I am interested...I am getting the Coco's Keratin (chocolate)...My friend is doing it on the 18th for me...My 30th bday is on the 23rd so I will make it past the 4 day "processing time" just in time!
Can't wait!

Maybe it's the video - but why does this seem so much simpler than the others? Is it the spray bottle?

I think the spraying is kind of gimmick-y. You should be able to apply this the regular way (coloring brush or fingertips). With the spraying, I would worry about accidentally getting the solution on my scalp (not sure if this product is supposed to be formaldehyde free). The one big difference is that they applied the product to damp, rather than dry, hair--that avoids the dreaded "naked blow- dry" step (after the clarifying shampoo) and save some time.

Lasio is similar to this, in that Lasio is spray on. However, Lasio is a much thinner consistency.
Lasio was the first BKT that I tried. I do plan to use Lasio again as my stylist now uses Lasio (she had been using Rejuvenol).

Has anyone tried the Salerm Shot Kit? My niece got this done at the salon and I am seriously considering getting it done because her virgin 4a hair came out sleek, shiny and bouncy.

Here is the link to the video on the product on YT :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKuCGAfPkew

Lasio is similar to this, in that Lasio is spray on. However, Lasio is a much thinner consistency.
Lasio was the first BKT that I tried. I do plan to use Lasio again as my stylist now uses Lasio (she had been using Rejuvenol).

Was it hard to avoid the scalp while spraying?

Ok..I feel so slow. For the past week, since they changed the site, I've been using my bookmark and getting 404 and 403 errors, thinking the forums were still down. Then I'd get an email from my thread subscription, and again...use my bookmark (didn't think to click the email link like a dummy), and got the error again. :nono:

Anyways...for a minor update: My hair is absorbing, and RETAINING moisture well. Makes me sad that this will eventually wear off and it'll go right back to its' moisture-gluttony self. My hair scared me after the first two washes..it was a little strange looking...almost heat damaged looking. However, this is now the 3rd wash (as in, I used my shampoo, not cowashed), and it's looking like a slightly looser version of itself again.

Ok..I feel so slow. For the past week, since they changed the site, I've been using my bookmark and getting 404 and 403 errors, thinking the forums were still down. Then I'd get an email from my thread subscription, and again...use my bookmark (didn't think to click the email link like a dummy), and got the error again. :nono:

Anyways...for a minor update: My hair is absorbing, and RETAINING moisture well. Makes me sad that this will eventually wear off and it'll go right back to its' moisture-gluttony self. My hair scared me after the first two washes..it was a little strange looking...almost heat damaged looking. However, this is now the 3rd wash (as in, I used my shampoo, not cowashed), and it's looking like a slightly looser version of itself again.

Yay! I'm so happy to hear your positive results!

Just want to warn you not to get too used to Dre@mH@air because it seems like the company has gone out of business or something (product hard to find, website down). However, I've used several other brands so if you decide to try something else, just holler.

P.S. Would you mind updating your thread about deciding between relaxing, texlaxing or BKT? It might be really helpful to someone with the same dilemma. TIA

Whew - I'm scheduled to have the keratin treatment with KeraSmooth in October. I'm only on page 25 (only 158 more pages to to) but determined to read through all the posts so that I can learn as much as possible. Thanks to all of you who have posted and shared your experiences and links and pictures - its very helpful. I'm going to a professional the first time then I think I wan to try it on my own after than. I'm soooooo excited!

p.s. I have seen the thread for KeraSmooth already but if any of you have anything to add or any advice for how to prep or what to look out for when I take the Keratin plunge I would appreciate it. FYI - I was told that I could use a leave in to blow dry after the clarifying wash - I was concerned about having someone without a tan and perhaps very little experience tear through my coily natural hair (I know those with a tan do it). Thanks

Whew - I'm scheduled to have the keratin treatment with KeraSmooth in October. I'm only on page 25 (only 158 more pages to to) but determined to read through all the posts so that I can learn as much as possible. Thanks to all of you who have posted and shared your experiences and links and pictures - its very helpful. I'm going to a professional the first time then I think I wan to try it on my own after than. I'm soooooo excited!

p.s. I have seen the thread for KeraSmooth already but if any of you have anything to add or any advice for how to prep or what to look out for when I take the Keratin plunge I would appreciate it. FYI - I was told that I could use a leave in to blow dry after the clarifying wash - I was concerned about having someone without a tan and perhaps very little experience tear through my coily natural hair (I know those with a tan do it). Thanks

Your post was a little confusing to me. You're scheduled to have the Kerasmooth yet are reading the BKT thread? Are you planning on switching from one process to the other? Are you aware that Kerasmooth IS NOT A BKT? My understanding is that it's a Thio-based straightener (like the Japanese treatments). Can say if it's good or bad, since I've never tried it but please verify that the treatment is want you intend to get. Good luck!

Your post was a little confusing to me. You're scheduled to have the Kerasmooth yet are reading the BKT thread? Are you planning on switching from one process to the other? Are you aware that Kerasmooth IS NOT A BKT? My understanding is that it's a Thio-based straightener (like the Japanese treatments). Can say if it's good or bad, since I've never tried it but please verify that the treatment is want you intend to get. Good luck!

Sorry to confuse you actually you just confused me. From my understanding this process works very much like the multitude of BKT varieties out there. This is the link to the home page http://www.bioionic.com/kerasmooth.html. I just read a Facebk posting on the subject however I'm not sure where or not to believe what was posted as the truth or even what questions to ask. WHen I spoke to someone at the salon I was told that the KeraSmooth is better than the Brazilian Treatment because it is all natural with no formaldehyde - that appealed to me. Now I'm a little nervous - I don't even know what a Japanese/Thio based straightener is. Looks as if, as I continue to 'google' for info that it is an anti-frizz treatment. Anyone else have any comments? I have 1 more day to cancel my order for the treatment at this discounted price.

Sorry to confuse you actually you just confused me. From my understanding this process works very much like the multitude of BKT varieties out there. This is the link to the home page http://www.bioionic.com/kerasmooth.html. I just read a Facebk posting on the subject however I'm not sure where or not to believe what was posted as the truth or even what questions to ask. WHen I spoke to someone at the salon I was told that the KeraSmooth is better than the Brazilian Treatment because it is all natural with no formaldehyde - that appealed to me. Now I'm a little nervous - I don't even know what a Japanese/Thio based straightener is. Looks as if, as I continue to 'google' for info that it is an anti-frizz treatment. Anyone else have any comments? I have 1 more day to cancel my order for the treatment at this discounted price.

I'm sorry, I don't know enough about KeraSmooth one way or the other. Good luck, whatever you decide to do. Ask them if you could do the KeraSmooth on top of a relaxer. That'll tell you if it's thio or not. If it's thio you wouldn't be able to do that.

Oh Dear! I think you should cancel your appointment until you understand what that process (Kerasmooth) entails.

I see how the name "Kerasmooth" can be misleading--it sounds like it's a keratin treatment. The fact that there are so many BKT brands adds to the confusion. However, Kerasmooth IS NOT A BKT! The best way I can describe it is a "texturizer" based on a "perm" (thioglycolate) solution instead of relaxer (sodium or calcium hydroxide). The thio is present at low concentration but it's there. I don't know much much about how this process is supposed to be temporary considering the chemicals it uses.

I hope you give yourself time to understand both processes before you do anything to your hair.

Oh Dear! I think you should cancel your appointment until you understand what that process (Kerasmooth) entails.

I see how the name "Kerasmooth" can be misleading--it sounds like it's a keratin treatment. The fact that there are so many BKT brands adds to the confusion. However, Kerasmooth IS NOT A BKT! The best way I can describe it is a "texturizer" based on a "perm" (thioglycolate) solution instead of relaxer (sodium or calcium hydroxide). The thio is present at low concentration but it's there. I don't know much much about how this process is supposed to be temporary considering the chemicals it uses.

I hope you give yourself time to understand both processes before you do anything to your hair.

I suppose you're right lilikoi:ohwell:. I'm natural so I'm not concerned with a bad reaction to any existing relaxer. I assumed (I guess bcuz I thougth it was BKT) that my coils would return. Yes, I am concerned (especially deciding to be chemical free) with a process that includes perm solution - hmmm. I'm just so excited to get it done and at a great deal (I think). I had it all planned but I'll give Bio Ionic a call as you suggested. Even if I move forward I need to know what I'm moving forward with. Thanks

p.s. Sheba girl if I decide to pass on this expect for me to blow you up with PMs on your process. Your hair (everybody's hair) looks fabulous. I was so busy reading the postings and looking at pictures and visiting attached links that I couldn't stop to comment (glad I finally did though).

I would totally be interested in a treatment like this. I am not really interested in bone straight hair - I'd want to keep my curls (coils/texture) but would want the benefits of the BKT (moisture retention, looser kink). Has anyone used this brand Juvenix in light wave or curly? What were your initial and long term results? Or is there anyone who's gotten similar results using another product? Can you tell me the product, your process (how it was applied) and your initial and long term results?
Hey M..
I swear by Pureology.. I use Nanoworks and Hydrate mostly.. I don't need volume .. so I've never used that.. I also use the blow drying agent and the flat iron spray.. and oh the serum..

The only BKT I am dying to try is the Juvexin.. I saw it on the local news.. and application and I was like O MG! The woman they tried it on had the kinkiest curliest hair you had ever saw.. when they applied Juvexin and her little round fro turned into APL shiny hair.

Then they had another girl who had hair similar to mine and they used another version of it on her.. did the process.. then REWET it and it looked like a fresh twist out when dry with no frizz.

Light Wave
Curly
Resistant

Oh, definitely, I'll put an update once I get home. You know you're slightly addicted when you check hair boards on your phone...:look: I think the one I'll try next is probably Softliss. From what I read, it seems to coat more heavily than DreamHair?

I cancelled my order for the KeraSmooth. I guess it and the BKT are all full of chemicals but she did say that this used thio-XXXX which is used in most perms, it is also semi permanent, this could not be used in conjunction with a relaxer (which is of no concern to me), that it breaks something down to build it up with a neutralizing process, that color could be used 10 days before or 10 days after, I should not try this treatment on my own - I need to use special tools and get training; that I should consult with my stylist to ensure that they can loosen my coil rather than totally straighten it, that my hair will "pretty much" return to its original state.

I'm disappointed but I guess its all for the best (really sad right now). AND - to top it all off somebody on a business conference call just started bragging about her Brazilian Blowout Treatment - I guess this is similiar but not the same as a BKT huh?

Hi everyone! After reading this whole thread and doing a ton of research, I finally decided to take the plunge and get a BKT last week. I went to a stylist who had done a BKT on a coworker. She used the Coppola brand. At first I was like, what have I done to my hair, but a little over a week later I could not be happier with the results. Here a are a few pics.

Here is my hair after the clarifying wash:

IMG_0460.jpg

After washing, she blew dry, applied the keratin, let it sit for 30 minutes, blew dry again, then flat ironed. Here is my hair after the flat iron: (ETA: I forgot to say that she also had to trim about a half an inch or so all over due to my ends being a little raggedy.)

IMG_0463.jpg

I then had the three day wait. During this three days was when I was having second thoughts about what I had done to my hair. I thought it looked limp and I was so scared it wouldn't curl back up. Luckily I had nothing to worry about!

Here is my hair after returning to the salon three days later. Washed, flat ironed, and styled:

IMG_0465.jpg

And here is my hair today, a week and two days later, in a wash n go.

IMG_0479.jpg

As I said, I was thrilled with how it turned out. My hair feels so soft and moisturized, my curls are a bit looser, and drying time is so much faster. I haven't flat ironed it myself yet but I'm sure that will be a breeze too. My hair also feels much stronger.

I want to make sure that I don't lose my curls, so I don't think I would get this done too often. Twice a year was recommended to me so that the keratin doesn't build up on my hair too much.

The only regret I have is not getting my color touched up before the BKT. I was too impatient. I was told by the stylist that I would have to wait a month or so to have my color done.

Last edited:
Txcurly your hair is BONKERS kinds of pretty! Oh my goodness, it is so lush :lick: Gorgeous! and truly beautiful results, as well.

Hey M..

Light Wave
Curly
Resistant
Hey Fab, I am liking the Pureology Hydrate shampoo. :yep: I don't love it yet (don't think it was worth $30), but it might grow on me.

Right now, I'm all about the Living Proof No Frizz line...this stuff is the best! The No frizz treatment takes the place of a blow-dry cream, flat iron spray, and serum...it leaves my hair looking better than when I used all those steps. I love that it gives amazing results whether you're wearing your hair straight or curly.

I just got samples of the No Frizz shampoo and conditioner, which are both sulfate, salt, and silicone free. Loving them so far. :grin:

Browsing Folica.com last week, I noticed that Global contains Juvexin. It comes in the 3 strengths you mentioned. I might try the Curly strength for my mom. She wants to keep her curls, and I need her treatment to last longer than my MTA, since she lives in a different state, and I only see her twice a year.

Back