Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Hi Bronze! :wave: I'm so glad the reconstructor stopped your shedding. I love the that stuff. Haven't done a hard protein in a long while now. Been thinking about doing one though. I know they do Empressi's hair well!

Hey everyone, I know this is out the blue but do u think daily cowashing and wearing damp hair under a wig can cause hair loss and fungus? I always did this with great results but just read that "hair worn wet under a wig" would cause the aforementioned troubles according to growafrohairlong.com. What do you think? Do u think because I was cleaning my scalp often is why I didn't run into trouble?

Last edited:
^Yes, Sheba, I do.

I wouldn't leave my hair wet for prolonged periods of time under a wig (it's not breathing), even though I wet bun, my hair does eventually dry, so I haven't run into problems.

You know, I have a relative who's relaxed and her hair is so HEAVY and she LIVES by Aphogee hard protein treatments. The Chic has so much hair you could get lost in it...I've been thinking on this for a minute now, and I believe there is something to this...

sometimes i really contemplate getting one of these. i love my curls and everything, i just CANNOT get a handle on my frizz. but I keep feeling like I will waste my money. like I will get it and still have frizzy hair. anyone with frizzy 3c/4a natural hair get this with good results?

I tired softliss and it didn't work for me at all. I followed the directions to the letter and my hair didn't look any different. I was pretty upset because I feel like I wasted my money, I used ALOT of heat on my hair, and my apt stunk from this mess. Did I just use the wrong product? other ppl that used it had great results and I really wanted something that i could just rinse out but now i'm thinking that i should of just went with some other brand. I didn't do anything to my hair prior so i know that it wasn't that.

^^bebee10, I had the same problem with Softliss. I had far better results with Global (applied by me) and Marcia Teixera (applied by a stylist). There are others available, and I'm looking forward to trying them when I run out of Global.

^^bebee10, I had the same problem with Softliss. I had far better results with Global (applied by me) and Marcia Teixera (applied by a stylist). There are others available, and I'm looking forward to trying them when I run out of Global.

Which global did you use? I was only using softliss cause it said I could wash out the same day but man that was a waste of my money :angry2:!!! and i've been reading about percent formaldehyde. how does that make a difference?

Ok I want to try this. Which one should I get? I have texturized 4a/3c hair.

There are so many options it kind of depends on the results you want. I think the QOD gold and the Marcia Texiera are the faves for the straightest result. My personal faves to maintain a curly look have been rejuvenol and global 2%. But there are so many to choose from. Good luck to you : )

Is it okay to use a flat iron that only goes up to 380? I think that's the hottest my CHI gets.

I remember Socali used low heat for her BKTs and her hair was lovely.

Which global did you use? I was only using softliss cause it said I could wash out the same day but man that was a waste of my money :angry2:!!! and i've been reading about percent formaldehyde. how does that make a difference?
:wave: just chiming in here but I used 2% and washed same day. I think I've done four of them. Pics are in my fotki

My 4a/b hair gets pretty smooth with a roller set and silk wrap. :yep: After my second BKT/no flat iron used:

15silkwrapped-vi.jpg

17southernteasewpincurl-vi.jpg

18southernteaseback-vi.jpg

19southernteasewpincurl2-vi.jpg
Girl that's some pretty hair you got there, shinny and healthy!! :up:

I used 4%. Not sure what I'll try next...:perplexed

Well, I gave in and used the encanto that I had left. Im only doing the front of my head. Im 6 months post relaxer and the previous application of bkt has mostly worn off. It is too humid for my hair to stay straight on its on. Im only on the first step right now. Im giving it 30 mintues to cure then moving on to the second step. It takes way too long to do this stuff.

I have learned something new this time. I actually left the clarifying shampoo on my scalp and hair 3 times for about 3 mintues each. I got my hair squeaky clean. That made a big difference. I was able to blow dry my hair super straight. Mind you, this product does call for you to leave the keratin treatment on for 15 minutes before blowdrying. I wish I had done this the times before. I mean really clean my hair before putting in the treatment. The keratin treatment really seems like it attached to my hair this time. I use to think that the encanto clarifying shampoo didnt seem to clean. I guess I was using it wrong. Im only on the first step and my hair is so silky. Every other time I used this product it didnt get really silky until I did the second step.

Im also attaching a picture that I took with my phone. It doesnt have flash so the shine is real. You can see the hair in the back that I straightened yesterday. It lacks shine and has totally puffed up. I think Im falling back in love with BKT. I just hope after all is said and done it still looks this way.

encantoonmyhair.jpg

sorry that it is upside down. i dont have anything on this computer to edit it.

Last edited:
Im happy with my end results. I just want to see how long it will last on my hair this time. More importantly, how long will it keep my hair silky and humidity resistent? I'll be buying another kit soon. Real soon. I cant wait to do my whole head.

I'm going to go out and get BKT so I can do it for my birthday. I have fine mostly 4b hair. Any suggestions so as to brand? I don't want to get a brand that works for mostly people with 3c/4a hair and end up wasting my money. I plan on wearing my hair mostly straight for the winter. I was thinking Global, but would I need 4% to get it straight or would 2% do? Perhaps QOD?

I used my Marcia Teixeira Advanced to do a BKT on my niece's hair before she left for college on Thursday. It took me all night long, literally...we started around 7 pm, and ended around 4 am (with plenty of breaks to cook and eat dinner, etc.)

She's a natural 4 A/B just like me, and her hair looked amazing after the flat iron--really shiny and smooth, with volume and swang. I advised her to wait 2 nights before rinsing, so I didn't get to see her final results, but my mom and sister were raving about it. They said her hair came out nice and straight, with plenty of body and shine. :yep: I was very proud of myself. :grin:

My mom was so impressed with my niece's results that she asked me to BKT her hair today, but I just didn't have time. It will have to wait until our next visit, in November.

Today, I bought Pureology Hydrate shampoo at Nordstrom Rack. This is my first Pureology product, but I've heard so many good things about the brand. All of their products are salt and sulfate free...is anyone else using Pureology for their BKT maintenance?

I'm going to go out and get BKT so I can do it for my birthday. I have fine mostly 4b hair. Any suggestions so as to brand? I don't want to get a brand that works for mostly people with 3c/4a hair and end up wasting my money. I plan on wearing my hair mostly straight for the winter. I was thinking Global, but would I need 4% to get it straight or would 2% do? Perhaps QOD?
Marcia Teixeira Advanced will get your hair straight. :yep:

I have super-fine 4 a/b hair, and MTA has always done right by me. In order to get the best results, I leave the product on my hair for 1-2 nights before my final rinse, even though MTA is a same-day rinse formula. This helps the keratin to adhere better, and gives me straighter results.

Thanks to lilikoi, I was able to try out the Dream Hair Moroccan BKT earlier. Please disregard my yucky face...

I followed the instructions per the website, and the only time I had any sort of "fume" issue was when I was putting it in my freshly washed hair and I guess a whiff of it went past my eye and it watered immediately. It didn't burn or anything, and that was the only incident. My hair isn't the prettiest, and you can see the bad ends. I haven't gotten them cut yet, but from the looks of it, it's going to be a second BC, lol.

I like how soft my hair feels, though. It's really bouncy and swingy, though the pictures don't really show that. I dropped my comb while I was flat-ironing the last 1/4 of my hair, and when I bent over to pick it up, a gust from the fan sent my hair flying...some into my eye :perplexed: lol. I think the site said it could be washed as soon as it was completely dry, but I think I should wait until I get my ends cut. Anyways, I'll quit yakking. Here are the pictures. :drunk:

Early this morning right before I decided to flat-twist a "headband" in...
46852_10150258851665370_716960369_14435972_371659_n.jpg

I thought this was neat so I took pictures :look: flat-twist out lol
46441_10150258851705370_716960369_14435974_3278129_n.jpg

After BKT...roots. I didn't do them all the way because I read you're not supposed to put the treatment on the scalp, so I was afraid to put it on my roots. I didn't want to super flat-iron my roots without anything on them, so I left them sort of wavy.
40985_10150258851710370_716960369_14435975_4685230_n.jpg

Wavy roots + a ton of hair = ..I don't know what you'd call this. I'm odd though, so I kind of like it, lol.
47182_10150258851715370_716960369_14435976_666548_n.jpg

You can really see how bad my ends are here. I haven't felt any more SSK's but the splits are visible. I'm happy about this because I was worried I'd have trouble trimming them off if I couldn't see them.
47182_10150258851720370_716960369_14435977_5964601_n.jpg

The back :)
47691_10150258851750370_716960369_14435978_6383739_n.jpg

Thanks to lilikoi, I was able to try out the Dream Hair Moroccan BKT

You're welcome!

I'm glad you tried this and are liking it so far! Your hair looks so long! Please post pictures after you wash it out--to me, that's the real end result. I really hope it gives you the results you expect.

P.S. you mentioned in you email that you were afraid to do the roots. I think that it's possible to get really close to the scalp without letting the solution touch it if you're very careful. I do more flat iron passes at the roots because I've noticed it's easy to overprocess the ends (with both the heat and bkt) with subsequent treatments. Keep that in mind.

Marcia Teixeira Advanced will get your hair straight. :yep:

I have super-fine 4 a/b hair, and MTA has always done right by me. In order to get the best results, I leave the product on my hair for 1-2 nights before my final rinse, even though MTA is a same-day rinse formula. This helps the keratin to adhere better, and gives me straighter results.

Where do you purchase MTA?

Sweet Spirit, You are gorgeous and you have BEAUTIFUL HAIR!! :clap:

Thank you (._.)

You're welcome!

I'm glad you tried this and are liking it so far! Your hair looks so long! Please post pictures after you wash it out--to me, that's the real end result. I really hope it gives you the results you expect.

P.S. you mentioned in you email that you were afraid to do the roots. I think that it's possible to get really close to the scalp without letting the solution touch it if you're very careful. I do more flat iron passes at the roots because I've noticed it's easy to overprocess the ends (with both the heat and bkt) with subsequent treatments. Keep that in mind.

Oh, okay, I'll try that next time to get the roots. I washed it out, but I immediately put it into flat twists so I could go to bed. I just took them out, and good LAWD I hate my ends. Unfortunately, that cut is not in my immediate future, so I'll just have to deal for now, lol. I didn't get a good look at it wet since I was so tired. I'll co-wash it tomorrow morning and post pictures. :)

How long do you need to wait in-between treatments?

Last edited:
I usually wear my hair straight during the winter months and in WNGs and Twist outs during the summer. This Georgia heat and humidity is no joke!! This summer however as my hair grows longer ( i'm almost BSL) I am having an awful time with SSKs. I talked to my stylist about my issues and she has recommended BKT. she usings MTA brand the 3 day version. I am getting this done tuesday and I'm super excited!!! I will take pics and post my results. Wish me luck ladies.

P.S. this will also be my first time straightening for the year so i will be able to update my length from whats in my siggy now!

Don't know if you all have already been informed but folica.com now has keratin treatments. Global, Rejuvenol, Keratin Complex, and several other keratin-based products. I haven't BKT'd since the Spring but I still support Keratin treatments (when properly applied lol!).

Last edited:
Hey everybody:wave:

I've been seriously considering doing some type of keratin treatment on my hair. I'm a dense/thick 3bc/4a texture. I'm natural grazing bsl and ssk knots are about to cause my SECOND setback in less than a year :wallbash:

My question is for anyone who has used liquid keratin. I'm thinking this would be a good way to start off since it's inexpensive and wears off quickly. If I don't like it or if it doesn't work, at least I didn't blow $300 :perplexed

Has anyone used this successfully? Do you still use it? Thanks in advance for your input!

Back