Keratin Treatment Support Thread

One more question for my ladies that are natural or transitioning with the BKT. Well, I know that there are some that are all natural & don't use the BKT for straight hair. My question is for the ones that wear their hair straight all the time.

After you've gotten your BKT treatment, is the BKT effective enough for you to get your hair straight with indirect heat or are you still having to flat iron your roots/all natural hair?

Since I'm going to be transitioning, I will be wearing my hair in straight styles most of the time but I don't want to have to pull out a flat iron every time I wash.

TIA...

One more question for my ladies that are natural or transitioning with the BKT. Well, I know that there are some that are all natural & don't use the BKT for straight hair. My question is for the ones that wear their hair straight all the time.

After you've gotten your BKT treatment, is the BKT effective enough for you to get your hair straight with indirect heat or are you still having to flat iron your roots/all natural hair?

Since I'm going to be transitioning, I will be wearing my hair in straight styles most of the time but I don't want to have to pull out a flat iron every time I wash.

TIA...

My 4a/b hair gets pretty smooth with a roller set and silk wrap. :yep: After my second BKT/no flat iron used:

15silkwrapped-vi.jpg

17southernteasewpincurl-vi.jpg

18southernteaseback-vi.jpg

19southernteasewpincurl2-vi.jpg

i dont try to straighten (no heat, cant rollerset) so i style my hair with texture like i would a normal transition. i'm able to get away with bunning though now.

Ok, I finally rinsed out my MT Advanced, and my hair is pretty darn straight...just the way I wanted it. :grin: I got slightly better results than my first BKT in the salon.

My henna took very well, so I now know that you CAN henna on top of BKT! Before the henna treatment, I lightly stripped my BKT by using a sulfate clarifying shampoo, then adding salt to my deep conditioner. This didn't completely strip the keratin treatment, but it did weaken it a bit...my hair was noticeably fluffier than usual. Then I hennaed overnight, and the color came out quite well and my texture was loosened a little.

After waiting 9 days, I applied the MT Advanced. I used a 450 iron on my roots only, and 410-430 on the ends. I did six passes at 450 on my roots.

This time, I left the BKT in for two nights, even though MT is a same-day rinse formula. When I rinsed, my roots were nice and straight...not bone-straight, but pretty close. There's still a hint of texture, which is good for me since it gives body to my fine hair. :yep:

I blow-dried using my Living Proof No Frizz cream (love that stuff!), and didn't need to flat iron my hair afterwards. It's straight enough.

The two times that I tried using a different brand, flat ironing on lower heat, and rinsing immediately, I was disappointed with the results. So from now on, I will follow this same routine:

- henna first
- flat iron roots at 450
- do more passes on roots
- leave the Marcia T Advanced in for 1-2 days

I BKT'd my entire head before getting my weave install. Since then, I've hennaed and BKT'd the leave-out by itself. So far, so good. :yep:

BKT is a temporary protective coating for the hair. Unlike relaxers, which break the chemical bonds of the hair, BKT merely coats the hair with keratin protein. Depending on your hair type and brand of BKT, it can temporarily straighten/smooth the hair.

Yes, formaldehyde is a chemical that is used in embalming fluid...and it's also used in most commercial brands of personal care products like shower gel and body lotion. Formaldehyde allows the keratin to bond to the hair, and makes the BKT treatment last for up to 3 months. HTH

Ok cool. Thx.
how often do you bkt?

Ok, I finally rinsed out my MT Advanced, and my hair is pretty darn straight...just the way I wanted it. :grin: I got slightly better results than my first BKT in the salon.

My henna took very well, so I now know that you CAN henna on top of BKT! Before the henna treatment, I lightly stripped my BKT by using a sulfate clarifying shampoo, then adding salt to my deep conditioner. This didn't completely strip the keratin treatment, but it did weaken it a bit...my hair was noticeably fluffier than usual. Then I hennaed overnight, and the color came out quite well and my texture was loosened a little.

After waiting 9 days, I applied the MT Advanced. I used a 450 iron on my roots only, and 410-430 on the ends. I did six passes at 450 on my roots.

This time, I left the BKT in for two nights, even though MT is a same-day rinse formula. When I rinsed, my roots were nice and straight...not bone-straight, but pretty close. There's still a hint of texture, which is good for me since it gives body to my fine hair. :yep:

I blow-dried using my Living Proof No Frizz cream (love that stuff!), and didn't need to flat iron my hair afterwards. It's straight enough.

The two times that I tried using a different brand, flat ironing on lower heat, and rinsing immediately, I was disappointed with the results. So from now on, I will follow this same routine:

- henna first
- flat iron roots at 450

Off to henna my hair tonight!

Washed the keratin out today & got a wash/blow dry. Love love love it!! :grin:
but I need to strt treatin my ends seriously. smh.

SAM_1820.jpg

SAM_1815.jpg

SAM_1821.jpg

@winona: I've been using BKT for about a year, and I have no complaints. I actually had slacked off for a while and just recently did one (about 2 weeks ago), and I had almost forgotten how great my hair feels!

@Mecca Goddess: I still use a protein conditioner about once a week; either Aphogee 2-minute or Mega-Tek. I think it helps maintain the balance.

Good to know because I'm thinking of using the avocado mist as a moisturizer once in a while.

Just providing an update.....

History: (1/2010) my 1st BKT was in a salon with the Coppola brand. It seemed to work great on my hair, but considering I just came out of wearing braids for 3 years, anything would seem like magic. I had a lot of dead ends. (2/28/10) I applied the Marcia Tex.(chocolate) myself with a 10% developer. It came out great, my hair didn't loose its curl pattern, but was straight at the root when I wore it straight. I started doing CW every day after about 6 weeks. The MT lasted 3 months and could have lasted longer. (5/24/10) applied QOD Gold at home, the roots that have grown in since the MT BKT didn't smooth out, but with heat, they are fine. I LOVE my curls with the QOD Gold... LOVE them.

I have cut a lot of my hair off, for style and health, it's a little above my sholders, but I have fine 4B (I guess ) hair so I needed some body.

I'm not sure which way I will go with my next BKT. I think using the developer with the MT helped, but I really like my wet curls with QOD. I might switch, do a MT BKT, then 2-3 months later do a QOD Gold, but MT is expensive (for me).

How did you use the developer? Did you add it to the BKT Treatment? Can someone explain how to use a developer in the BKT process?

How did you use the developer? Did you add it to the BKT Treatment? Can someone explain how to use a developer in the BKT process?

You're supposed to mix it into the shampoo you use to clarify. I did it on my last one after I picked up the tip here. The developer helps raise the cuticle so the BKT takes better. It's basically the same principle as coloring before you BKT.

You're supposed to mix it into the shampoo you use to clarify. I did it on my last one after I picked up the tip here. The developer helps raise the cuticle so the BKT takes better. It's basically the same principle as coloring before you BKT.

Is there a specific protions /ratio I should use?

- henna first
- flat iron roots at 450
This is GREAT information because I miss my hennas!! I'm going to buy some henna from my indian store next weekend and do a henna within the next month before my next BKT.

Also thanks for the tip about leaving the MTA in for a day or so before washing :thumbsup: I'm really pleased with my manageability with this past MTA application, I would imagine with the henna I could reduce my shrinkage even further. I'm not trying to go for straight, I just want reduced shrinkage.

Nakialovesshoes,

I rollerset and do a silk wrap to get my hair straight. In the summer my hair grows like crazy, like 1 inch per month naturally (have to stop all vitamins), so I have to hit up my roots if they wave up but it calms down in the fall/winter.:yep:

Rollerset after BKT:

rollersetafterBKT-vi.jpg

rollersetafterBKT1-vi.jpg

BKTwrapafterrollerset-vi.jpg

So I forget, are you natural or transitioning? Great results w/o direct heat!

Nakialovesshoes,

I rollerset and do a silk wrap to get my hair straight. In the summer my hair grows like crazy, like 1 inch per month naturally (have to stop all vitamins), so I have to hit up my roots if they wave up but it calms down in the fall/winter.:yep:

Rollerset after BKT:

rollersetafterBKT-vi.jpg

rollersetafterBKT1-vi.jpg

BKTwrapafterrollerset-vi.jpg
You got the BKT! That's awesome!! Your hair looks fabulous. I have to remember to try rollersetting when I want to get straight in the future.

You got the BKT! That's awesome!! Your hair looks fabulous. I have to remember to try rollersetting when I want to get straight in the future.

Not yet. That is Dove's hair. Of course you know I'll post when I do. I'm going to let DSD do it for me. It probably won't be until the end of next month, beginning of September.

My stylist mixed the developer with the shampoo. I thought we used 10 voldeveloper but it was 20 vol. I brought 10 vol but she had 20 vol so we used that. I think it was 50% shampoo and 50% developer. The directions say to shampoo with that mixture 3 times.

I finally tried the Marcia Teixeira Chocolate BKT. I bought a 4 ounce sample from a BHM member a few weeks ago and had been itching to try it out. I did not want to do this treatment myself so I went to my stylist who had done my first Rejuvenol BKT, Erica Diggs. Check her out http://www.youtube.com/IAmEricaMakeupArtist or [email protected]. Erica is now using Lasio One Day BKT. Lasio smells like bubble gum to me and it is a spray on BKT - $150.

My first BKT was the Lasio One Day treatment and then I had Rejuvenol done for the last 6 treatments and now for treatment #8 I used the Marcia Teixeira Chocolate BKT.

The Marcia T Chocolate is very different from the Lasio spray on treatment and also the Rejuvenol cream based treatment. Like Rejuvenol, Marcia T Chocolate is cream based but Marcia T is much thicker. I can usually do my Rejuvenol BKT with 2 ounces but for the Marcia T we used the entire 4 ounces. In fact, since the Marcia T is used on 100% dry hair, my hair sucked up the treatment. I will also add that for my virgin hair we did use 10 volume developer mixed in the pre-treatment shampoo. The directions recommend 20 volume developer but I was afraid to have my hair turn colors.

ETA: We did use 20 volume developer. I purchased 10 vol but she had 20 volume.

I have been wearing my hair out 95% of the time and I had a ton of tangles and single strand knots. The initial blow out was a pain. If I could bring myself to protective style at least 50% of the time, I would probably have less single strand knots and be able to retain more length. I have thin ends, since I do not protect them like I should, but since my hair is curly 95% of the time, I do not trim them off.

The Marcia T is put on with a color brush and it makes the hair somewhat heavy. My hair felt much more coated and sticky with Marcia T than with Rejuvenol. Marcia T felt more sticky to me than Lasio or even Rejuvenol. I felt that I lost more hair during the blowout with the treatment on my hair due to the stickiness of the product. There were also LOTS of fumes. Granted, the treatment smells like chocolate but the fumes did cause my eyes to water. Also, it was much more smokey in the room when we did the blow out than with Lasio or Rejuvenol.

After the blowout, my hair was flat ironed in tiny sections. We used my easy comb (conair version) - http://www.fabove.ca/mm5/images/hairstyling/ez_comb3.jpg
My eyes also watered during the flat iron which is not something that happens with Rejuvenol or Lasio. My hair has lots of movement and it smells like chocolate.

We started around 12:30 p.m. and I was done by about 3:30 p.m.

I expect this treatment to wear off in 2 - 3 months like the last few treatments. If it does last longer, it will likely be due to using the 10 volume developer mixed in with the shampoo.

The first wash out will be the real test of how well this treatment works. Although I do like the chocolate smell, I will not be ordering this Chocolate treatment again. The fumes were far too heavy for me. I did not like the sticky feeling that the treatment gave my hair. I felt that I lost a lot of hair during the blow out due to the product being somewhat sticky. My FHI Runway was also coated with the product. We switched to use Erica's flat iron about half way through so my Runway would not be ruined.

My hair this morning
IMG_2085-vi.jpg

IMG_2086-vi.jpg

My hair now
frontshotBKT-vi.jpg

sideshot2BKT-vi.jpg

Back shot - I really need to stop wearing my hair out 95% of the time. If I could bring myself to protective style, I would retain more length.
backshotBKT-vi.jpg

Last edited:
mstar, do you have any pictures of your hair before the MT advanced and then after rinsing it out? Wet hair though, not dry?
Was too lazy to take any pics, sorry. I might try to take some after my co-wash tonight.

Ok cool. Thx.
how often do you bkt?
I've done it 4 times since January. Two times were just experimenting with other brands/methods. For the rest of the year, I will henna & BKT every 8-10 weeks, between weave installs.

This is GREAT information because I miss my hennas!! I'm going to buy some henna from my indian store next weekend and do a henna within the next month before my next BKT.

Also thanks for the tip about leaving the MTA in for a day or so before washing :thumbsup: I'm really pleased with my manageability with this past MTA application, I would imagine with the henna I could reduce my shrinkage even further. I'm not trying to go for straight, I just want reduced shrinkage.
Girl, I was so excited to get back on the henna train! I realized I had gone 6 months with no henna, and my gray hairs were making me feel old. :look: Henna had covered them so well that I didn't even know I had any gray until a hairdresser pointed it out! (I was mad at her for that, too. :lol:)

AtlantaJJ,

I've been BKTing since April 2009. :) I haven't looked back, I love it so much!

Is there a specific protions /ratio I should use?

I'm sorry I didn't do specific measurements :perplexed, but kind of went by eye, gauging the proportions about 35-40% developer to 65-60% shampoo. I didn't want to go 50/50 because I was a little nervous and I figured the clarifying shampoo was already pretty strong to begin with. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

So, I realize this site is geared towards women of color in their quest for amazingly healthy, long, shiny hair. I am a woman of very little color, and my hair was straight as a board until I started coloring it in my teens. As a matter of fact, my aunts gave me perms every summer as a kid, and they burnt chunks of my hair off. The only way I could wear it was in tight french braids for months, lol. Perms never took, they just ruined my hair. So in essence, I had the same problem most dark skinned women do, just a bit in reverse...

My hair about 80% grey, and I color it. The grey is super kinky-curly, but not in any pretty patterns - believe me. And the colored hair is just damaged, but not too badly. In Mexico, my hair is about 3 inches shorter due to frizzing in the humidity, which is why I do Keratin treatments.

Is there anyone else on this board in a similar hair situation? And if so, what do you find the best brand to be? Or If anyone has any general knowledge about it, I'd love it if you could share! Finishing my Coppola up, then moving on! Sorry if I have asked some of these questions before - just trying to get a definitive answer before I purchase!

So, I realize this site is geared towards women of color in their quest for amazingly healthy, long, shiny hair. I am a woman of very little color, and my hair was straight as a board until I started coloring it in my teens. As a matter of fact, my aunts gave me perms every summer as a kid, and they burnt chunks of my hair off. The only way I could wear it was in tight french braids for months, lol. Perms never took, they just ruined my hair. So in essence, I had the same problem most dark skinned women do, just a bit in reverse...

My hair about 80% grey, and I color it. The grey is super kinky-curly, but not in any pretty patterns - believe me. And the colored hair is just damaged, but not too badly. In Mexico, my hair is about 3 inches shorter due to frizzing in the humidity, which is why I do Keratin treatments.

Is there anyone else on this board in a similar hair situation? And if so, what do you find the best brand to be? Or If anyone has any general knowledge about it, I'd love it if you could share! Finishing my Coppola up, then moving on! Sorry if I have asked some of these questions before - just trying to get a definitive answer before I purchase!

First of all, welcome to the forum! At the bolded: we come in all shades and hair textures here so don't think people won't/can't relate :yep:.

So far I like Global the best out of the varieties I've tried, but I am interested in trying QOD and Rejuvenol. You might want to PM some of the ladies who post here often. Dove 56 is one of our more seasoned veterans, so I hope she doesn't mind me calling her out! I've been doing them for just over a year, and my hair seems to love it!

Last edited:
done my wash, and my texture is really loose on the top and the very back. not as big of a change everywhere else though. i'll post the pic after my battery charges.

buuuuut.... i'm ready to have my kinks back. not quite ready to bc, but i'm done with straight hair. i really really miss my fro & there's so many cute styles to do now

once my hair fully reverts, i can see how much shrinkage i have to determine if i'll cut off the relaxed hair or not, don't wan't my hair too short. my goal is to be apl (or bsl?) unstretched. i'm not going to be that worried about the "real" length anymore.

as of right now i have no idea what regimen i plan to use during the wear-off & after, so i'm off to search old threads! and of course i'll document it, probably in a thread fo everyone to see

Back