Keratin Treatment Support Thread

did you sweat in your sleep? i had a little bit of reversion this last go round when i took my wrap down the next morning. i usually don't sweat, but i figured i must have

Hi ladies. After reading a lot about this thread, I'm going to go with the Soft-liss Chocolate.
I am around a 4a/4b coarse tangled with panel hilights... some of them are VERY blonde.
I am excited b/c the chocolate one can be rinsed after an hour. Did most of you guys wear your hair straight after your BKT or did you wear it curly? Its extremely hot (currently in AZ) and I have been doing wash n gos but my hair is getting so dry b/c I have less time with work and other stuff to cowash every 2 days. And its super dry down here! I was looking for a solution and I really think this is it. I just want stronger hair, looser curls (not stick straight), and less time for detangling.
I have been using all Redken products which has helped but I am too through with this natural stuff and I don't want to go back to any chemicals.
If you have similar hair shout me a holler. Some of you all's results really had me sprung. Looks great.

DID a strand test with QOD Gold..something is off!

I tested on a small amount of hair in the back of the head. I clarified once with the QOD shampoo then, Used tension/ banding method to air dry....then applied the keratin treatment and flat ironed about 4 timed on the strands. It was straight, soft , felt good and healthy. I went to bed and woke up this morning to see my small section completely reverted.:perplexed:perplexed

Can someone tell me how where I went wrong? sis I not use enough heat??
Or is it simply the wrong BKT for me?

You are suppose to blow dry again AFTER the keratin is applied and then flat iron. Also how high did you have the flat iron?

Which seller did you by encanto from? Is it good for 4a/4b naturals who want to have straight hair.

There is only one Encanto Ebay seller. I am a 4b natural who will be trying Encanto sometime in the next few days. I'll update you all with my results.

Can someone tell me how where I went wrong? sis I not use enough heat??
Or is it simply the wrong BKT for me?

How much heat did you use?

I want to do another BKT really soon. The first time around I got the Global brand in strawberry 2%. The results didn't last long :ohwell:. This time around I want to do the same brand but in chocolate with the 4%. Does anyone know if there is a difference in results between the strawberry and chocolate? I heard that the chocolate was better for highly textured hair...can someone please chime in.

Last edited:
You are suppose to blow dry again AFTER the keratin is applied and then flat iron. Also how high did you have the flat iron?

Shortly after writing my post I blow dried the hair again and then Flat iron with more heat than i did last night. Ok, I'm completely blown away my hair is soft, straight, strong!! I'm speechless.:yep::yep: The first time I only passed the flat iron twice on my hair. It was at192 degrees celcius. So I used another flat iron I had a side that is much hotter. I passed it 7 times on the hair strands. Amazing!!! I can't wait to do this on all my head!!!:grin::grin: The shine,movement and bounce must me unreal!! Its a keeper.

well i just bought my chocolate softliss 8oz. thanks for this thread. I don't get on here very often but I will check back in when I do my bkt. I hope it will be here by wednesday at least

I want to do another BKT really soon. The first time around I got the Global brand in strawberry 2%. The results didn't last long :ohwell:. This time around I want to do the same brand but in chocolate with the 4%. Does anyone know if there is a difference in results between the strawberry and chocolate? I heard that the chocolate was better for highly textured hair...can someone please chime in.

With Global, the only difference between chocolate and strawberry is the scent. The difference comes between the 2% and 4%. 4% provides more dramatic results on kinky/curly hair. The 2% is recommended for straight/wavy hair.

Hey ladies, I have a quick question about DH: It is a same-day rinse formula, right?

I'm going to use my sample that I purchased from Fab to touch up my front hairline...it's starting to look a little rough (I'm wearing a full-head weave right now). Just need to know if I need to wait until tomorrow to rinse. TIA...

ETA: and I can rinse it out, instead of shampooing it out, right? This will be my first time doing a BKT on myself. :grin:

It's been a minute, but, as I recall, you can rinse DH an hour after you flat iron, and you don't have to shampoo, just rinse.

Okay girls I dont think encanto is the way to go. It cant even get curly texlaxed hair straight. My hair is definitely no longer curly but its by no means straight. It looks like a mix of some straight, most kinky straight, and some still curly. I now totally get what my aunt means about her now looks like relaxed hair again. To make matters worse, you cant even use semi perm dye on it even after 3 weeks. My aunt told me that her semi dye wouldn't take so I tried on my hair to make sure. I have the same prob. I love the price, but its not what Im looking for. This would probably work great for someone with fine naturally straight hair who wants to cut down on frizz.

If I were to do BKTs monthly then I'd use a strong one every 4 months and use the encanto between those months. Thats the only way i would continue to by this product. Maybe doing it a second time will do better.

I love the ease of one day treatments, but I might start trying more of those 3 day treatments if they are stronger. I've been looking at Sun Liss. It seems promising. It also comes in two strengths. Have any of you tried this brand yet? Also what are some really strong BKTs besides Global 4% and Marcia Texeria? I want to try sample sizes before purchasing a big bottle.

I'm considering taking the plunge and purchasing Softliss. I just want to make sure that the kit for 96.00 comes with the Shampoo, BKT, and the conditioning mask.

Last edited:
How is it going for the ladies doing the BKT at lower temps? What temperatures are you using?

This time around I will be careful with using the heat on my previously treated ends. My problems came with the heat, multiple treatments and my textlaxed length. I am trimming the relaxed ends and will just do the BKT on my natural hair from now on.

From what I'm reading the wait 3 days before first wash formulas are still the most effective.

How is it going for the ladies doing the BKT at lower temps? What temperatures are you using?

This time around I will be careful with using the heat on my previously treated ends. My problems came with the heat, multiple treatments and my textlaxed length. I am trimming the relaxed ends and will just do the BKT on my natural hair from now on.

From what I'm reading the wait 3 days before first wash formulas are still the most effective.

goin' good. i feel better about being able to use a lower temp w/ this iron- less heat damage

Re: Encanto Results

I BKT'd my natural 4B hair with Encanto over the weekend. There are 3 products included in the kit: shampoo, straightening product and then a post treatment. As MissMeWithThatIsh previously mentioned, the post treatment conditioner is a lighter version of the straightening product that also contains formaldehyde.

I washed my hair with the shampoo, applied the straightening product, blow dried my hair and flat ironed on Saturday. The fumes didn't bother me until I blow dried my hair in the front and my eyes watered a little. But other than that, I was fine. I started late in the afternoon so I decided to complete the process the next day.

On Sunday I washed my hair with the shampoo again, applied the post treatment, washed out around 50% per the instructions, blow dried and then flat ironed again. I will say the post treatment conditioner makes a huge difference. It made my hair much straighter and smoother.

This was my first time using a Maxiglide that was gifted to me by another member (hey sis! :wave:) and it worked very well. The only drawback is it is on the bulky side and my right hand started to shake (!) about halfway through the flat ironing process. For that reason my hair is not as straight as it could possibly be. Overall I am extremely pleased with the results.

As "MissMe" also mentioned the product is very liquidy but it made it that much easier for me to apply. The application was much easier than DH. I can't get over how soft my hair is - like silk. As long as I don't see any problems over the next few weeks I will most definitely use Encanto again.

I'm attaching my pics. My first pic is my hair out of plaits I had hidden under a halfwig (no product), and the others are after BKT.

Feel free to ask questions!

Last edited:
I'm considering taking the plunge and purchasing Softliss. I just want to make sure that the kit for 96.00 comes with the Shampoo, BKT, and the conditioning mask.

I got mine in chocolate, with taxes and shipping it was a little more than 115 i think. Which type did u get?

round 6
1.clarified w/ qod poo
2. use half/half qod & elasta qp creme conditioning poo (new staple! :up:)
3. final wash w/ eqp poo
4. air dried to about 75%-in 15 minutes! hadn't air dried that fast since i had a twa back in '06! i probably should've dried a lil more, but i wanted to hurry up and get started (to hurry up and finish lol)
5. used a full 2 oz instead of the usual 1. i've been wondering if my hair is fully coated & protected
6. i've lost a lot of bulk, so i was able to blowdry in big chunks

the result was like relaxed hair that had been flat ironed w/ too much product-soft, but weighed down. i didn't need any oil this time either, cause it felt so conditioned. idk if it was 'cause it was a lil too damp, or using too much product. it doesn't feel filmy or coated though.
PiC tIme!

Attachments

• 6thaftr.jpg
    6thaftr.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 6thno flash.jpg
    6thno flash.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 6th length.jpg
    6th length.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 6thswang.jpg
    6thswang.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 60
Has anyone BKTd and then done a weave / braids soon after? I'm transitioning and I want to get a sew-in weave leaving some hair out in the front. I was thinking of BKTing again so that my hair, especially new growth, is more manageable and particularly to get smoothness in the left out hair. Do you think its a good idea?

Has anyone BKTd and then done a weave / braids soon after? I'm transitioning and I want to get a sew-in weave leaving some hair out in the front. I was thinking of BKTing again so that my hair, especially new growth, is more manageable and particularly to get smoothness in the left out hair. Do you think its a good idea?

BKT your hair prior to putting in a weave is a good idea. I just think that you should get the leave out done if you are using a treatment that requires more than one day to cure. If you have a one day treatment then doing the entire head should be okay. Also if you are applying this yourself, you could save more product by doing just your leave out. Really the choice is up to you.

How do you guys do the touch up? Do you just touch up the roots after 2 to 3 months or simply re-do the whole process again???

I apply heavier at the roots (with a tinting brush) and very lightly to the length (with my fingertips) because I just don't feel comfortable flat ironing at that heat without some kind of coverage.

How do you guys do the touch up? Do you just touch up the roots after 2 to 3 months or simply re-do the whole process again???

For me, using the clarifying shampoo that comes with the Softliss kit strips the BKT completely. I re-do the whole process. Others skip the clarifying or simply shampoo with something not so harsh to then only touch up the roots. You'll know what your hair needs when its time. Just be sure to pay attention and listen to what your hair tells you to do.

I'm confused as to what I did. I did my very first BKT in my hair. Keep in mind that my last touch up was november 2008. I've been natural ever since. In 2009, I started using Wen Fig and only used Hairveda product. Then towards August 20009 I started using Cassia ( neutral henna) in my hair. I'm not sure why but I have crazy volume. Not that much length gain....but massive volume. I checked my hair numerous time and yes it's straight... feels a bit heavier and way thicker than its ever been.

I thought the effect of cassia wears out? I haven't done since January at least.

Have ever gained thickness and then out of the blue no length? I'm a bit worried. I know I shouldn't just emphasize on length but its seems like I have been BSL forever. I can't seem to break that barrier easily. I want to be MBL.

HELP!!!

Last edited:
Hey ladies I'm back. I purchased the chocolate kit. I applied it yesterday. My hair feels very soft and manageable. I hope it lasts for 3-4 mos. If so then it's a keeper.

I plan to use Earthly Delights Tropical Rain shampoo. Unsure of my conditioner... I'm looking over my hair products to make sure they're no salt or low salt. So far I'm ok to use KBB hair milk, DB transitioning cream, and JBCO.

ETA: I used my flat iron on 410.

For me, using the clarifying shampoo that comes with the Softliss kit strips the BKT completely. I re-do the whole process. Others skip the clarifying or simply shampoo with something not so harsh to then only touch up the roots. You'll know what your hair needs when its time. Just be sure to pay attention and listen to what your hair tells you to do.

Oh no. Don't use the shampoo that comes with the kit for after care. It's a chelating type shampoo.

Back