Keratin Treatment Support Thread

I need to go back and read your posts. I'm probably being anal but I want to get on top of the breakage. It's not even enough so far for me to call it a real problem but I don't want to wait and let it become one. I did see where you suggested ceramides to RR. I need to investigate that because I don't know anything about them.

I need to go back and read your posts. I'm probably being anal but I want to get on top of the breakage. It's not even enough so far for me to call it a real problem but I don't want to wait and let it become one. I did see where you suggested ceramides to RR. I need to investigate that because I don't know anything about them.

Soulfusion I strongly recommend the matrix biolage pro-4 hydra-therapie.

I am also convinced my breakage is due to the weathe and my transitioning. Also i think next time I will BKT my roots only.

I have only tried Lasio One Day and Rejuvenol but I may try Marcia Tex once I run out of Rejuvenol.

As for the straight hair, I have not been wearing a bone straight look with the treatment. My first wash out is tomorrow (put my 6th BKT on Thursday) and I have my hair in curls right now.

The curls do not seem to effect the treatment. I still get the same results after my wash out and the curls help to camoflauge that my hair is not even.

My hair has fully reverted after each BKT.

IMG_1011-vi.jpg

IMG_10672-vi.jpg

IMG_1069-vi.jpg

IMG_1060-vi.jpg

First wash done after my first BKT (Marcia Tex), which was applied by the stylist that Ediese found about about (info is somewhere upthread). He is very professional, punctual and his price is SO reasonable for what you get. I highly recommend him.

Pros:
New growth is very manageable, dries faster, less product use, feels stronger (overall), time spent on wash day will drastically decrease

Cons:
Some of my previously relaxed hair (ends) are breaking and although it's not drastic, I don't like it because I'm not used to seeing any.

Experience:
The stylist used the Softliss 4-day formula. My stylist has been using Design Essentials mild on my hair, relaxing it to near bone straight texture. At the time I got my BKT I was approximately 5 weeks post relaxer, with maybe 3/4 inch of new growth.

When I got in his chair he examined my hair (which was in a combed out braidout, which in retrospect I think might have caused him to believe that my BKT needed to be flatironed with a higher heat). He tested the elasticity of my hair by pulling a handfull (kind of like an extreme weave check, lol!), after which he declared that my hair was in good condition and very strong. So, then we talked about heat. I told him that I did NOT flatironing at 450 deg and he was okay with it, although he did say that if I insisted on a heat that was too low and it didn't last at long, it would be too late to do anything about it. We went back and forth and finally decided to give it a go at 400 deg.

He did the BKT per the normal procedures that you've read here and everywhere else. He blowdried my hair on low setting (using 2 blowdryers) and a comb. He said that a lot of people think AA hair needs a lot of heat because it's tough, when our hair in fact is more fragile. He dried only to 75% and then did the BKT application. He paid more attention to the new growth and did fewer passes on the relaxed hair, which I liked. There was minimal fumes and the whole process took a little over 2 hours. He gave me some Marcia Tex shampoo and conditioner and sent me on my way.

The whole not getting my hair wet/using pins/ponytail thing was a PITA. I also did NOT enjoy the bone straightness of it all, because I never wear my hair flatironed like that. Finally, I got through the week and washed. I used the Marcia shampoo/conditioner and my hair didn't feel soft/conditioned enough for me. I slapped on some Joico Intense Hydration condish and ended up falling asleep with it in. This morning, I rinsed that out and I STILL didn't like the feeling, although detangling was great and I lost very little hair. So, I put on some of my deep condish mix that I use with my steamer (I took my almost empty tub of Motions Silk protein a variety of almost used up conditioners in, added olive oil, & JBCO) and did a steaming session. Oh my goodness! My hair is just unbelievable. I currently have it in a ponytail roller set. Once it's dry, I'll take some pics and post them.

Now that I've had someone else do it to get an idea of how it's done, I will probably do it myself from now on, so that I have more control over the heat. My hair has always been pretty direct heat adverse, which was probably my biggest reservation about this process coming in. However, I have to say that so far it's been a pretty good experience and I can definitely see using this to transition. My new growth is just amazing ... not too straight, but manageable and soft, soft, soft!

No, not really. If I let the BKT wear off, my tight curl pattern totally returns.

When I did treatment #4 my curl pattern seemed looser but once I let that treatment totally wear off, my curls reverted back. My BKT treatments last about 2 - 3 months if I avoid sulfate shampoo. I have yet to have a BKT last longer than 3 months

I do not want straight hair out of the shower; however, if one overlaps BKT treatments (never letting the BKT fully wear off) then I do think the hair could remain straight as it does with relaxing.

^^^ Natural Mane did you find that your hair got progressively straighter with each BKT?

No, not really. If I let the BKT wear off, my tight curl pattern totally returns.

When I did treatment #4 my curl pattern seemed looser but once I let that treatment totally wear off, my curls reverted back. My BKT treatments last about 2 - 3 months if I avoid sulfate shampoo. I have yet to have a BKT last longer than 3 months

I do not want straight hair out of the shower; however, if one overlaps BKT treatments (never letting the BKT fully wear off) then I do think the hair could remain straight as it does with relaxing.

Thanks Natural Mane. The reason I ask is not bc I want straight hair but I want to get to the point where I can roller set/ wrap it straight.

Are you a natural type 4? If so then your hair will NOT be straight after washing. Even the companies say that this hair type should relax, color, or have several application before seeing straight hair right out of the shower.

Muse my mom is 4a/b with very fine hair and she was bone straight after the OK Keratin treatment. I'm not sure if it's because her hair is fine or if it's the treatment.

First wash done after my first BKT (Marcia Tex), which was applied by the stylist that Ediese found out about (info is somewhere upthread). He is very professional, punctual and his price is SO reasonable for what you get. I highly recommend him.

Pros:
New growth is very manageable, dries faster, less product use, feels stronger (overall), time spent on wash day will drastically decrease

Cons:
Some of my previously relaxed hair (ends) are breaking and although it's not drastic, I don't like it because I'm not used to seeing any.

Experience:
The stylist used the Softliss 4-day formula. My stylist has been using Design Essentials mild on my hair, relaxing it to near bone straight texture. At the time I got my BKT I was approximately 5 weeks post relaxer, with maybe 3/4 inch of new growth.

When I got in his chair he examined my hair (which was in a combed out braidout, which in retrospect I think might have caused him to believe that my BKT needed to be flatironed with a higher heat). He tested the elasticity of my hair by pulling a handfull (kind of like an extreme weave check, lol!), after which he declared that my hair was in good condition and very strong. So, then we talked about heat. I told him that I did NOT flatironing at 450 deg and he was okay with it, although he did say that if I insisted on a heat that was too low and it didn't last at long, it would be too late to do anything about it. We went back and forth and finally decided to give it a go at 400 deg.

He did the BKT per the normal procedures that you've read here and everywhere else. He blowdried my hair on low setting (using 2 blowdryers) and a comb. He said that a lot of people think AA hair needs a lot of heat because it's tough, when our hair in fact is more fragile. He dried only to 75% and then did the BKT application. He paid more attention to the new growth and did fewer passes on the relaxed hair, which I liked. There was minimal fumes and the whole process took a little over 2 hours. He gave me some Marcia Tex shampoo and conditioner and sent me on my way.

The whole not getting my hair wet/using pins/ponytail thing was a PITA. I also did NOT enjoy the bone straightness of it all, because I never wear my hair flatironed like that. Finally, I got through the week and washed. I used the Marcia shampoo/conditioner and my hair didn't feel soft/conditioned enough for me. I slapped on some Joico Intense Hydration condish and ended up falling asleep with it in. This morning, I rinsed that out and I STILL didn't like the feeling, although detangling was great and I lost very little hair. So, I put on some of my deep condish mix that I use with my steamer (I took my almost empty tub of Motions Silk protein a variety of almost used up conditioners in, added olive oil, & JBCO) and did a steaming session. Oh my goodness! My hair is just unbelievable. I currently have it in a ponytail roller set. Once it's dry, I'll take some pics and post them.

Now that I've had someone else do it to get an idea of how it's done, I will probably do it myself from now on, so that I have more control over the heat. My hair has always been pretty direct heat adverse, which was probably my biggest reservation about this process coming in. However, I have to say that so far it's been a pretty good experience and I can definitely see using this to transition. My new growth is just amazing ... not too straight, but manageable and soft, soft, soft!

It is nice having the treatment done by someone else.:yep: I love to do my own for the reason you stated: I want control over the heat. I don't want anyone putting 450 degrees on my hair and ruining it especially since I'm growing back to MBL/WL. It's great that you found someone so nice and professional though! Thanks to Ediese!:-)

Thanks Natural Mane. The reason I ask is not bc I want straight hair but I want to get to the point where I can roller set/ wrap it straight.

I'm almost 10 months post and my new growth is bone straight out of the shower and I LOVE it! I'm rollersetting now and afterwards I'll wrap it! My rollerset are so silkly and smooth! God bless BKT!:drunk::spinning::yep:

Well I got mine yesterday and I couldn't even finish my whole head before it broke! It is very cheaply made. I did hit a snag in the roots (the rest of my hair was straight) and it was all over after that. I was trying to avoid the roots but I got caught in one section. BUT the parts of my head that I did get done felt GREAT! I would never be able to get get split ends like that with a pair of scissors especially in the back. So I asked if I could exchange it. I will now only use it on BKT days-no danger of snagging. It is a really great tool (when it works, lol). I see you have to be VERY careful with it.
What!! :blush: dang I guess I will have be to careful with mine from here on out...Did they give you any problems with trying to exchange it?

Muse my mom is 4a/b with very fine hair and she was bone straight after the OK Keratin treatment. I'm not sure if it's because her hair is fine or if it's the treatment.
Was your mom relaxed or natural? My hair is fine and my last relaxer was Dec 18th..but my hair did not get relaxer straight although I don't relax bone straight...I also think since I never flat iron my hair before...I always did roller sets..maybe the flat iron part is what's causing breakage/shedding for me...I used QOD Gold and I'm thinking maybe going to Edeise Guy as well for my next one because I really want BKT to work for me but some how I think I may be going back to a relaxer and I really dont want to..I wish there was a way to use BKT and just sit under my pibbs with out baking it in...

Hi ladies!
I've been thinking about getting this treatment as i want to have straight hair for a while, anywway what i want to know (see) is a picture of you a couple of months later when the keratin is fadigng out of your hair. Thanks ^^

I'm almost 10 months post and my new growth is bone straight out of the shower and I LOVE it! I'm rollersetting now and afterwards I'll wrap it! My rollerset are so silkly and smooth! God bless BKT!:drunk::spinning::yep:

Veejee what brand of BKT are you using? I am not particularly interested in bone straight results as I have very fine 4a/ 4b hair and I actually like the manageability and volume BKT affords me while I transition, however for styling purposes it would be lovely to be able to do a roller set or a curl-formers set.

TIA

x Stella

Soulfusion I strongly recommend the matrix biolage pro-4 hydra-therapie.

I am also convinced my breakage is due to the weathe and my transitioning. Also i think next time I will BKT my roots only.

Same for me. If/when I BKT (with stronger formaldehyde this time), I will focus only on my roots. I will also do a 1-inch cut of my relaxed hair, gradually cutting an inch every 8 weeks until I am fully natural. I was hoping that the BKT every 2 or 3 months or so would help with that effort.

10 MONTHS?!?!??! :wow::wow:

Which brand do you use? I think many of us are trying to transition gradually using BKT treatments, cutting off relaxed ends every few months or so while keep the demarcation line strong.

I saw an ad for the BKT online. The prices were $150+ so I called and after grilling me the stylist said that the charge would be $225. She was doing a treatment on someone's hair and told me that I could stop by to see how its done and just to meet her. I was on my way from work so I did. As soon as I walked through the door she said she'll have to charge me $400 to do it, because my hair was so loooong and THICK. :perplexed

My hair is BSL (not full BSL). It ain't THAT long and it ain't THAT thick. Who is she kidding? The real kicker is she said that she was charging me $400 because she has to use a lot of extra product, and that she was giving me a deal, because... she was going to give me the shampoo so that I could clarify my hair and come with it blow-dried. :sad: Say what? No thanks. For $400 you better believe you would have been washing my hair. Oh, and she said she wouldn't need to do my ends again just my new growth, "just like the relaxer you do now", she said. Whatever BS she was selling, I wasn't buying. :nono:

Anyhoo, I booked with the Ulta salon. They have a special going for $185 (ends Saturday). If they have to use an extra solution it'll be $25/ounce. I don't mind paying for what I want, but I don't like surprises AND if I'm paying for a BKT (or any service at a salon) I want my shampoo to be included. :yep:

Last edited:
I think Veejee uses Softliss.

....Okay, so now that some time has passed on the Marcia Advanced (2weeks+-), I'm looking sideways at it. My new growth is not as tame as I'd hoped, and I can't get over the broken hairs - not excessive, but since this has been an issue for me in the past, I just can't afford any more broken hairs if I'm going to get anywhere.

I have to blowdry my hair in order for me to comb through it after a wash.

I can't say if the treatment didn't take because of the heat 380, or what, but I am thinking of trying another product. My 4a hair will pop off something quick fast and I can't have that since I really am not willing to give up on transitioning.

Marcia feels great in the shower - but then again, so did my natural hair...its out of the shower that's an issue.

Was your mom relaxed or natural? My hair is fine and my last relaxer was Dec 18th..but my hair did not get relaxer straight although I don't relax bone straight...I also think since I never flat iron my hair before...I always did roller sets..maybe the flat iron part is what's causing breakage/shedding for me...I used QOD Gold and I'm thinking maybe going to Edeise Guy as well for my next one because I really want BKT to work for me but some how I think I may be going back to a relaxer and I really dont want to..I wish there was a way to use BKT and just sit under my pibbs with out baking it in...

My mom is relaxed but she was about 12 weeks post and the BKT got her new growth BONE STRAIGHT! It looked like she had a fresh relaxer. I did my mother's BKT, BTW; I've been doing my own for almost a year next month.

I modified the heat and only did 2 passes on the previously relaxed hair. I really think the heat can ruin the the awesome effects of the BKT if you don't pay very close attention to the heat and the condition of the hair.

Marcia feels great in the shower - but then again, so did my natural hair...its out of the shower that's an issue.

I totally agree with you...out of the shower is what really counts. I'm planning to get my first treatment done, and the main reason is so that I can wash and go. I want the super manageable hair that I kept reading about. I want to be able to air dry my hair without any frizz. Or do I have to wait until I get to heaven? :lachen:

Hopefully, your next treatment will work better for you.:yep:

10 MONTHS?!?!??! :wow::wow:

Which brand do you use? I think many of us are trying to transition gradually using BKT treatments, cutting off relaxed ends every few months or so while keep the demarcation line strong.

Well, where shall I begin...lol. I've tried the following brands:

Global 2% - Made my hair too straight but I got very silky results.

Softliss no ether or formeldahyde: One of my favorite! I'm actually going to stick with this brand. I love the fact that my hair is so swingy and straight with this brand. I experienced no reversion in about 98% humidity..lol.

Dream Hair Keratin 2%: Very nice straigth hair with this, but hair doesn't really feel "protected"

QOD Gold: Didn't get straight enough results with my right-out-the-shower hair but my hair felt like BUTTA!

QOD Max 0.02% Formeldahyde: Got my hair super silky, shiny and straight. My crown was still *too* wavy.

OK Keratin 2% Formeldahyde: Very nice brand, don't like the consistency of the product but love the outcome. You can wash this out in 24 hours and fumes are minimal. Very, very shiny straight hair with this brand.

From now on: I'll be using Softliss. Plus, I really LOVE the Softliss Mask for maintenance. It makes your hair so beautiful and shiny.

Softliss no ether or formeldahyde: One of my favorite! I'm actually going to stick with this brand. I love the fact that my hair is so swingy and straight with this brand. I experienced no reversion in about 98% humidity..lol.

Dream Hair Keratin 2%: Very nice straigth hair with this, but hair doesn't really feel "protected"

QOD Gold: Didn't get straight enough results with my right-out-the-shower hair but my hair felt like BUTTA!

QOD Max 0.02% Formeldahyde: Got my hair super silky, shiny and straight. My crown was still *too* wavy.

OK Keratin 2% Formeldahyde: Very nice brand, don't like the consistency of the product but love the outcome. You can wash this out in 24 hours and fumes are minimal. Very, very shiny straight hair with this brand.

From now on: I'll be using Softliss. Plus, I really LOVE the Softliss Mask for maintenance. It makes your hair so beautiful and shiny.
I wish you were here in Houston so you could do my hair....Ok I have an appt for a relaxer on Friday..last relaxer was Dec 18th Bkt was 2 weeks ago did a protein treatment last week...you think I'm ok to do a relaxer? I thought since I still have some BKT left I would wait til about 4 weeks after relaxer and than do another bkt...what do you think....anyone?

I have an announcement!!!!

In 17 days I will be 1 year post!!!! :dance7: Ive been BKTing every 2 months since august and I think it is playing a huge part in my transition! Slowly but surely I have been chopping away at my relaxed ends :yep:. I cant wait to be fully natural:afro::lachen:. I said my next BKT(which will be the beginning of may) I will video tape it and do a year comparison. Well Happy Hair Growing ladies!

Moniquenuss

Okay, I have a little update. Remember me whining about the breakage after my first BKT? It's almost completely stopped. I wonder why? I airdried in a ponytail rollerset and put my usual Salerm21 leave in and JBCO and vatika oil in (with BT on the scalp). I also put some wheat germ oil in my moisturing spray bottle.

Maybe my hair was stressed out from all that direct heat and needed some time to settle down. lol! Whatever the reason, I'm glad it stopped. I'm really enjoying it.

Oh and I ordered the Biolage CeraRepair from Beauty of NY and my box should be delivered tomorrow.

From now on: I'll be using Softliss. Plus, I really LOVE the Softliss Mask f, or maintenance. It makes your hair so beautiful and shiny.

Funny, I have not really cared for Softliss in the past, but, since I have been noting random gray hairs of late, and they have been driving me crazy, I decided to slap some color on yesterday. That being the case, I figured I'd use up the rest of my Softliss, too, as I knew the color would strip my current BKT. As it turned out, I still have a little of my Softliss left, but it seems to have done a better job than it did in the past, so now I'm on the fence again...although, I must say it did seem to throw out more fumes than DH or Global (other brands I have done at home), but it was a nice Spring day, so I was able to blow-dry and flat iron with windows open and a nice cross-breeze pulling the bad stuff out of my house. I waited a full 24 hours after the flat iron to rinse and use the mask, then air dried, so I can't really comment on the final results until tomorrow. But right now my hair feels pretty good. I'll post new pics soon.

Back