Keeping natural curls and straightening your hair

Chimma

I've heard a lot about your hair being burnt w/ hot combs and flat irons and curling irons so that you lose your natural curl.

Have any naturals, especially type 4's (I'm assuming our hair is the most fragile so most likely to be burnt straight), been able to straighten their hair to a very straight style (not half straight/half frizzy) and then wash it and have it return to curliness/nappiness? If so, how? I want to straighten my hair to trim it soon, and just in general I'm sure I would like to wear my hair straight every once in a while so I want to make sure I won't lose my texture.

I lost my napps permanently earlier this year from pressing.

I have learned to get my hair almost bone straight by roller setting my hair.

You have to roll your hair very taught around the rollers to get a straight look.

If I feel like a very straight look: I roller set my hair, then use a blow dryer with a comb attachment, and finally I use a curling iron on a low setting.

It takes a little practice but you can roller set 4b hair for a smooth straight look without damage.

Good Luck!

I press my hair about once a month (if that), and I will wear it pressed for about six days and then go back to natural. I never get it super-duper straight, but I never really try to either because I like my hair a little big.

I have not noticed that my hair is any different after I press it and then wash it. It seems to revert back to its normal natural state, i.e., thick, curly, and nappy.

lol, Nat, @ pic in avatar.

I usually straighten my hair as necessary and that seems to be every 2-3 months. That also gives me time to gain some noticeable growth.

[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:
Thanks!
Wow, that is scary, to lose your naps. What do you consider a low setting on a curling iron?

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep my setting below 5 on my gold n hot - just enough to bump under my ends.

When I pressed mine and washed it. I had several straight hairs sticking out of my afro puff. no more pressing for me.

My hair is 4a and when I straighten my hair people think I got a relaxer. It stays straight for about three weeks due to wrapping my hair with spray night oil. I only get it straighten it when it is cold outside.Anyway my naps always come back.But don't get in habit of straighten it in the spring or summertime because it won't stay striaght you'll only press it to death.
wink.gif

Back