Keeping it Simple

luvmesumhair

Who here keeps their hair regimen simple?

I remember reading somewhere here a while ago that a lady here on this board kept it simple by just washing with CON once a week, after washing, pulled back into a pony to air dry, once dried, she put a little water OR Dark n Lovely condish (that comes included in the relaxer kit) on her ends (she did her ends every night this way) and wrapped her hair around for a bun. She also permed her hair once a month w/Dark n Lovely (she complained of her hair being puffy and out of control if she did not)

She did this for one whole year and retained about 9 inches in length. She did not believe in spending all her money on a lot of stuff. And she did not take any multi vits ether.

I which I knew who posted that info on that lady. I think she was a member here too.

I remember reading somewhere here a while ago that a lady here on this board kept it simple by just washing with CON once a week, after washing, pulled back into a pony to air dry, once dried, she put a little water OR Dark n Lovely condish (that comes included in the relaxer kit) on her ends (she did her ends every night this way) and wrapped her hair around for a bun. She also permed her hair once a month w/Dark n Lovely (she complained of her hair being puffy and out of control if she did not)

She did this for one whole year and retained about 9 inches in length. She did not believe in spending all her money on a lot of stuff. And she did not take any multi vits ether.

I which I knew who posted that info on that lady. I think she was a member here too.

This sound exactly like my regimen (excepted I shampood instead of con washing) when all my hair began breaking off from my ponytails. Maybe they were too tight, maybe I should've been using con instead. Oh well. Different strokes for different folks.:ohwell: I hope someone can remember for you. I'd like to know too.

I'm in a very simple routine.

I cowash daily or every other day or coughcoughtwiceaweekcoughcough. I comb my hair directly under the shower water. If I don't cowash I dumb my head in a sink and wet it.

Then I put in a mixture of giovanni direct leave in, hempseed butter and coconut--i just kind of glob it on.

After that my hair goes in a pony tail.

Every single day, no fun but i'm retaining length well.

I shampoo whenever my hair feels like it needs it.

I like trying new products but simple is working best for me. After using Keracare, Kenra, Nexxus and others I always come back to Cream Of Nature or Pantene's Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense Line. They treat me the best. Knowing this I am still going to hit up JC Penneys to try the Phyto line. WHY? WHY? WHY?

I get the best results when I just wash weekly with no co washing, baggying, etc.

I concur with a simple, basic hair care routine. Like my skin, my hair cannot tolerate the use of too many different products, and layering on product upon product.

Does keeping it that simple equate to having a homely look. I want my hair to be healthy but I also want it to be pretty, flowing and bouncy. I think I keep it pretty simple. I don't use more than 4 products. I limit products to shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner and a moisturizer. I used to be pretty heavy-handed when it came to applying products but now I've learn that the products work much better when used in a smaller quantities (e.g., a quarter size amount applied to the hair).

Does keeping it that simple equate to having a homely look. I want my hair to be healthy but I also want it to be pretty, flowing and bouncy. I think I keep it pretty simple. I don't use more than 4 products. I limit products to shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner and a moisturizer. I used to be pretty heavy-handed when it came to applying products but now I've learn that the products work much better when used in a smaller quantities (e.g., a quarter size amount applied to the hair).

Most definitely KIS (keeping it simple) does not mean homey. Shoot, once I simplified my regimen, my hair is off the hook -- longer, thicker, healther, shiny, simply gorgeous without the hassle, time or numerous products. . .

Most definitely KIS (keeping it simple) does not mean homey. Shoot, once I simplified my regimen, my hair is off the hook -- longer, thicker, healther, shiny, simply gorgeous without the hassle, time or numerous products. . .

My "keeping it simple" actually involves a blow dryer and curling iron. I think my hair would look a hot mess if I just pulled it back in a bun/ponytail after washing. Plus I have to maintain a professional appearance for work.

I've been keeping it simple for some time now. I really just cowash, apply a natural butter and then put my hair up. This works for me.

My hair by any means is nothing spectacular compared to some other heads on the board, but I keep it simple, too. I wash and DC once a week, followed by a rollerset just to straighten and up in a bun it goes. I wear a bun everyday to work, but I dont think I look homely cuz I try to jazz it up by wearing some cute, dangly earrings and a lil makeup. So keeping it simple doesnt necessarily mean a "homely" look. Protective styling can be dressed up if you come up with some creative ideas:yep:

Last edited:
Wearing a bun doesnt mean you look homely

I actually wanted to do that exact regimen when i started, only use con shampoo and relax every 4 weeks, but anyway, my regimen isnt ThAT simple, but its easy--i just cover all grounds and leave it alone after that

My hair by any means is nothing spectacular compared to some other heads on the board, but I keep is simple, too. I wash and DC once a week, followed by a rollerset just to straighten and up in a bun it goes. I wear a bun everyday to work, but I dont think I look homely cuz I try to jazz it up by wearing some cute, dangly earrings and a lil makeup. So keeping it simple doesnt necessarily mean a "homely" look. Protective styling can be dressed up if you come up with some creative ideas:yep:

My point exactly....I'd have to straighten it firtst before throwing in a bun or ponytail, otherwise......:nono:

I consider my regimen simple. Every 5-7 days I apply a pre poo then wash, condition (both while in the shower) Rollerset & wrap it until the next wash day. That's pretty simple right :look:

From what I understand, she did not have long hair. She NEVER had long hair. So this time she decided to sacrifice hair styles and keep her hair and ends protected. (she said she wore a bang and a bun because it was the easiest and fastest way for her when she was getting ready for work). She said that her DH was very understanding of this too. But after a year...EVERYBODY was amazed at her results. She also mentioned that she has 4A/B hair. Very dry, coarse, etc... I do not even think she deep conditioned either. She never mentioned it.:look:

Neroli, what is your regimen? What was it before?

i have chosen to keep my regimen as simple as possible. In the past i was doing to much and got great results, but it caused me to not be consistent with my regimen. Now I am even keeping it simple with my products...no more pjism for me:grin:

I dont have no money/no products no more like i use to so i buy what i need (when i need it)thats some

MANE N TAIL conditioner
use some for LEAVE IN
AIR DRY
PRESS NEWGROWTH

NO REMEDIES
NO EXPENSIVE HAIR PRODUCTS
WASH NOW EVERY 3 WEEKS CANT OFFORD IT
PONYTAIL HANGIN OUT
NO BAGGY METHOD
SLEEP WITHOUT SCARF
I DONT CARE NO MORE CAUSE THEM BRAIDS TOOK MOST OF MY HAIR OUT DIDNT HAVE MONEY TO WASH MY BRAIDS FOR 4 WEEKS SO NOW I AM PAYIN FOR IT JUST GOT MY RETOUCH DONE MY HAIR SO THIN FEELS LIKE I MA BALD HEADED IT HOLDS NO CURLS.SO NEXT I MIGHT GET MORE BRAIDS TO KEEP FROM COMBIN MY HAIR AT ALL.

I dont have no money/no products no more like i use to so i buy what i need (when i need it)thats some

MANE N TAIL conditioner
use some for LEAVE IN
AIR DRY
PRESS NEWGROWTH

NO REMEDIES
NO EXPENSIVE HAIR PRODUCTS
WASH NOW EVERY 3 WEEKS CANT OFFORD IT
PONYTAIL HANGIN OUT
NO BAGGY METHOD
SLEEP WITHOUT SCARF
I DONT CARE NO MORE CAUSE THEM BRAIDS TOOK MOST OF MY HAIR OUT DIDNT HAVE MONEY TO WASH MY BRAIDS FOR 4 WEEKS SO NOW I AM PAYIN FOR IT JUST GOT MY RETOUCH DONE MY HAIR SO THIN FEELS LIKE I MA BALD HEADED IT HOLDS NO CURLS.SO NEXT I MIGHT GET MORE BRAIDS TO KEEP FROM COMBIN MY HAIR AT ALL.

I am sorry to about your set back. But do not give up!

When you say you have no money to wash your braids, did you mean at a salon?

i have chosen to keep my regimen as simple as possible. In the past i was doing to much and got great results, but it caused me to not be consistent with my regimen. Now I am even keeping it simple with my products...no more pjism for me:grin:

and it's working for you.:yep:i was looking at your album the other day. great progress.

can anyone point me out the thread that shows the different buns and protective styles? i got my ends clipped and i have been wearing my hair down everyday and getting it washed and flat ironed every week. i kno this isnt good , but wearing ponytail will give me breakage at my nape like it did before. certain bobby pins seem to pull at my hair and leave my ends thin. and the open bobby pins dont hold my hair up :ohwell: im still battling split ends here and there too. what styles did you guys wear to retain your length? any examples?

can anyone point me out the thread that shows the different buns and protective styles? i got my ends clipped and i have been wearing my hair down everyday and getting it washed and flat ironed every week. i kno this isnt good , but wearing ponytail will give me breakage at my nape like it did before. certain bobby pins seem to pull at my hair and leave my ends thin. and the open bobby pins dont hold my hair up :ohwell: im still battling split ends here and there too. what styles did you guys wear to retain your length? any examples?

Girrrllll, do I have just the thing for you! Someone pointed out these styles & hair accessories. I just got mine & i'm in love. I can put my hair in ponytails without the strain.
http://www.hairzing.com/products.php?cPath=3&

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid232551186

Neroli, what is your regimen? What was it before?

I wash once a week, sometimes I go longer, sometimes less, depending on what my hair needs. I stay flexble and don't stay with a rigid timeframe but all things being equal, I wash once a week, usually saturdays. If its hot and humid and I'm spending lots of time in the pool/ocean, I wash/co-wash everyday, if its really cold out, I may go 10 days to 2 weeks between washes. My KIS rules are simple and still being developed. . . .

1. never, I mean NEVA use heat for anything. Period. Not even to DC. Everyon can't do this at first and I didn't think I could, but try, try again and I've been heat free for years and that alone has simplified my life. I feel I can live anywhere and so long I have water and a bottle of condish (preferable nexxus humectress!) I can hook my hair up -- straight and flowing, textured, whatever . . .

2. be flexible 'cuz life don't always happen according to my schedule, thank God!

2. do whatever I need to do when I wash/co-wash, cuz no time in between washes, I don't brush, comb or manipulate my hair much when its dry, so I henna, moisturize, deep condish, oil, whatever on wash days and forget about it until my next wash.

3. use 'poo or co-wash whenever either makes sense. I try to limit 'poo use, but I don't hesitate when I know my hair needs it. It's not an all or nothing thing, 'poo when you need it, co-wash when it makes sense. Use protein and moisture depending on condition of hair. Rollerset and airdry or just let it hang dry, depending . . . I don't feel I HAVE to make a choice. Sometimes I go months without 'pooing, and then sometimes I'll 'poo for 2 or 3 washes in a row . . .

4. if my hair is acting on me (shedding, breaking) I go into protective mode using buns, braids, etc. to give it a rest.

I prolly have more, but these are main ones. As a newbie, I was all over the place, trying this and that, co-washing everyday, feeling I had to be on some schedule with protein or moisture or whatever, but now, I just do what my hair feels like I need. The only thing I feel I simply don't have a choice with is heat -- that is TOTALLY out and I won't go back. But I know that's me and may not work for some. Indeed, no heat has been the most liberating thing for me time wise and the best thing for my hair, which is thriving with 80-85% texlax and airdrying. . . .

Back