Just can't mositurize everyday

Crystal22

My hair is so limp by third day post of washing my hair because moisturizer turns my hair to a flat lifeless shag. I can't stand it. But I'm afraid if I don't moisturize everyday my hair will start breaking. My hair is so fine however that it just doesn't look good after a few days of mositurizing. Are any other ladies having that problem? Do you not moisturize often and see no ill effects?

Because of the same reasons you listed, I no longer use a moisturizer. I haven't noticed any breakage. I just use the Motions sheen spray every other day for additional shine. What's also helped with moisture is the fact that I'm now deep conditioning and rollersetting twice a week. My hair is soft and bouncy. I've actually noticed an increase in moisture. I also have fine hair.

I don't like limp hair either so I just moisturize my ends with ORS olive creme moisturizer which is not greasy at all and apply a silicone serum gloss for shine and to seal my hair

I'm no expert but I'm starting to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Maybe you need a PROTEiN conditioner. Add strength to your thin hair? I have realized because my hair is so THICK that i HAVE to moisturize but Protein is just too much for my hair it makes it hard and brittle......so maybe, that can work??

I'm not sure....though

U had the same problem until I started using coconut oil. My hair isn't thin but too much oil or moisture and my hair would look limp. The coconut oil is so light my hair soaks it up!

Maybe moisturizing everyday isn't totally necessary for you. I have fine hair and if i'm wearing my hair down and i moisturize everyday it will not be cute by mid week. So, you can either keep moisturizing everyday and wear your hair up and in a bun more often, or you can find a lighter moisturizer (maybe like a spray) or you can cut back to moisturizing every other day. Try it for a week, nothing drastic can happen in just a week.

I'm no expert but I'm starting to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Maybe you need a PROTEiN conditioner. Add strength to your thin hair? I have realized because my hair is so THICK that i HAVE to moisturize but Protein is just too much for my hair it makes it hard and brittle......so maybe, that can work??

I'm not sure....though
I was thinking the same thing

My hair is so limp by third day post of washing my hair because moisturizer turns my hair to a flat lifeless shag. I can't stand it. But I'm afraid if I don't moisturize everyday my hair will start breaking. My hair is so fine however that it just doesn't look good after a few days of mositurizing. Are any other ladies having that problem? Do you not moisturize often and see no ill effects?
What are you moisturizing with? Do you do any protein treatments at all? If not then a protein treatment is definitely needed.

Too much moisture will have that mushy weak effect on the hair, and if you already have fine hair to begin with then FORGET IT! Your hair will become a limp, broken mess. If you are DCing regularly then it is not necessary to moisturize your hair everyday. If your hair feels moisturized then leave it. I can go a week without moisturizing my hair when I wear it straight. I will apply some oil for lubrication and softness but I find that I do not need any water-based moisture. You have pay attention to what YOUR hair is telling you :)

I feel the same way. Some people on here moisturize twice a day. I definitely can't do that :nono:. And if my hair is straightened that week, I pretty much go all week without adding anything; however, I think my scalp produces a lot of oil.

Are you moisturizing the entire length? Maybe try doing just the ends. I have fine relaxed hair and I only do the ends and edges on a daily basis. But also, you may need a good protein treatment to add strength. And then again maybe the moisturizer you are using is just too heavy. But then again there is no law that says you have to do it everyday. Do what's best for your hair.

Yes daily moisturizing will make the hair heavy if you are applying a heavy oil like castor oil to seal in the moisture. This is why I shampoo 2-3 times a week. I don't see anything wrong with light moisturizing of the hair. I don't experience breakage if I take a day off from moisturizing. Daily moisturizing should protect you from taking a day off between moisturizing.

I second third and fourth all the comments about protein. All hair types are different, some can moisturize every day 2x a day, and some can't. I moisturize my hair everyday, but my hair is thick, and very coarse. For others with finer hair, that may not work.

However, there are times too, when I have over-moisturized my hair, for those times, I spray a bit of Hayashi System 911, a protein mist leave in/detangler. It has a good balance of moisture and protein, and won't cause a protein overload where your hair snaps off...it's very gentle, suitable for use several times a week if need be. HTH

What are you moisturizing with? Do you do any protein treatments at all? If not then a protein treatment is definitely needed.

Too much moisture will have that mushy weak effect on the hair, and if you already have fine hair to begin with then FORGET IT! Your hair will become a limp, broken mess. If you are DCing regularly then it is not necessary to moisturize your hair everyday. If your hair feels moisturized then leave it. I can go a week without moisturizing my hair when I wear it straight. I will apply some oil for lubrication and softness but I find that I do not need any water-based moisture. You have pay attention to what YOUR hair is telling you :)

VERY TRUE!!!!:yep:

Everyone can't moisturize everyday, especially if you have thin/fine hair....moisturize when you need to.

What I really had to learn was that a little goes a long way. When I first came here, I was using globs and globs of moisturizer. I had to learn that it doesn't take all that. Your hair can be moisturized with just a little oil (dime amount) and some moisturizer (nickel amount). It doesn't take as much as you think if you distribute properly

the first thing i thought when i read the title was that you have fine hair. i think everyone has given u good advice. you have to listen to your hair. i wish i didnt have to moisturize everyday.

Lord girl. Listen to your hair and do what it likes. Everyday on this board there is a thread from someone agonising that their hair is reacting badly to some perceived "rule" (be it stretching or daily moisturising, or whatever) yet forcing themselves and their hair through it. Anything suggested on the board should be considered based on your personal judgement and implemented / rejected based on RESULTS.

So maybe your hair doesn't need daily moisturiser at all. Or maybe it needs a lighter one.

I have the same problem, and I eliminated the daily moisture, but you can make up for it, like, maybe evey third Day, do a co-wash to infuse some moisture, or however often you thing you need to replenish your moisture, also maybe kick-up your Deep Conditioning sessions to be sure your implementing enough moisture into your regimen. Just Food for thought! Good Luck!

i might get jumped on, but do you NEED to moisturize everyday? I've found that if I DC and use a moisturizing leave-in, i don't have to moisturize everyday bc my hair is already moist. and btw, i have fine hair too.

Im just gonna jump in and cosign with do what your hair likes. For me because I have fine hair I can't use anything everyday. If it's oily I'll look a limp shiny mess, if it's wet or "moisturized" my hair will turn to mush, if it's protein my hair will start breaking. You should find what works for you. For me and my hair I don't need to moisturize more than 2-3 times a week with a light moisturizer. With that method I keep my hair moisturized as well as my style!! Also if your hair is already mush you might need a light protein. Good ones that did wonders for me were Aveda Damage Remedy (just the regular conditioner not the deep one) and L'anza reconstructor (both my LOVES!!!)

Hello all, I am new here. I have been lurked off and on to get the lay of the land, finally joined today.

I have similar issues with regard to moisturizing. May I suggest you search for the thread for fine haired ladies and Patricia's thread titled 'My Discovery'. These threads had the best insights and the most useful information of dealing with this issue. Thank you Artemis and Patricia.

Last edited:
Thank you ladies for all of your input!! Its greatly appreicated! I guess I felt like if I ddin't moisturize daily I was doing a serious evil to my hair. I've started using Mega-Tek which is why I'm more concerned than normal with the level of moisture in my hair. I've stepped up my DC'd though and that seems to keep me from having to add it so much throughout the week and allowing me to get by without any breakage Thank God!! I'm just going to concentrate on my ends which seems to need it the most anyway because I do wear my hair wrapped and the ends are exposed to my clothes often. But b/c I'm using Mega-Tek everyday I might have to start doing protective styles and moisturize daily instead of trying to preserve a style.
Sometimes you have to sacrifice your style for growth and health I guess.

I guess my strands are fine but overall my hair isn't thin if you know what I mean. I just can't handle heavy moisture and oil. I got carried away with whats said on the board when in actuality my hair was doing fine w/o alot of moisturizer. You guys are right in stating there is not wrong or right way you just have to find whats right or wrong for YOUR hair. And who knows in a few months I may NEED to moisturize daily. Your hair changes as it grows. I use S-Curl or Hawaiian Silky moisturizers. Sometimes I use ORS Olive Oil moisturizer when I feel like I need an oil based or BB Castor Oil. These last two really weight my hair down more than I like and I use them when I'm not wearing my hair down. All in all I feel like if I deep condition weekly I'm not going to worry about doing it everyday and see how it goes. As far as protein I was using ORS replenishing pak and every now and then Aphogee. Hawaiian Silky moisturizer has protein in it as well. Now that I'm using Mega-Tek I'm not using any other protein but I've only been using it for a month or so. I wonder if it will change my texture from finer strands to more coase=thicker? I will let ya'll know if I experience breakage. Im going to check out that Fine-haired ladies thread as well. I haven't stopped by there in a long time.

Oh yes I agree. I cut down moisturizing to 1-2xper week. It seems to defeat the purpose of using a protein conditioner. I want to have strong hair, and moisturizing it everyday is a little much

Well, I hate moisturizing everyday b/c it's too much of a chore. I keep my hair bunned up and/or in half wigs most of the time, so to take it down just to moisturize is annoying.

What I've done to avoid that is just to cowash/airdry every other day during the shower. That way my hair stays moisturized and it only adds about 10 minutes total to my entire shower routine. Cowash, add leave in, apply Surge and wet bun. B/c I airdry, my hair stays VERY lightly damp until the next cowash. Cowashing has other benefits as well. HTH

Well personally I only moisturize and seal everynight ONLY when in protective styles... besides that I will add a hair polisher and thats it...This works for me a great deal!!.....My hair is also fine...so whatever works for you ...you do!:yep:

http://fotki.com/denettra/

I guess my strands are fine but overall my hair isn't thin if you know what I mean. I just can't handle heavy moisture and oil. I got carried away with whats said on the board when in actuality my hair was doing fine w/o alot of moisturizer. You guys are right in stating there is not wrong or right way you just have to find whats right or wrong for YOUR hair. And who knows in a few months I may NEED to moisturize daily. Your hair changes as it grows. I use S-Curl or Hawaiian Silky moisturizers. Sometimes I use ORS Olive Oil moisturizer when I feel like I need an oil based or BB Castor Oil. These last two really weight my hair down more than I like and I use them when I'm not wearing my hair down. All in all I feel like if I deep condition weekly I'm not going to worry about doing it everyday and see how it goes. As far as protein I was using ORS replenishing pak and every now and then Aphogee. Hawaiian Silky moisturizer has protein in it as well. Now that I'm using Mega-Tek I'm not using any other protein but I've only been using it for a month or so. I wonder if it will change my texture from finer strands to more coase=thicker? I will let ya'll know if I experience breakage. Im going to check out that Fine-haired ladies thread as well. I haven't stopped by there in a long time.

I think you made a great point here. This daily moisturizing has been bothering me for awhile. When I first got here my hair was so dry from poor care that I DID need daily moisturizing. But after being here a few months, my hair is doing well and I'm starting to think daily may be too much for me as well. I mean some nights my hair will look and feel great, and I'll just go ahead and moisturize b/c I think that I'm "supposed too". I'm really going to start to just listen to my hair. I mean, it does go through phases, and I'm sure there may be weeks, even months, in the future were I may have to change my moisture reggie, but for now I think every other day may be enough. Btw, I think that my hair is fine too (I'm still not sure) and as the great Patricia and Artemis (sp) have stated so well, I think protein is really important to us fine haired gals. Anyway, HHG :)

Because of the same reasons you listed, I no longer use a moisturizer. I haven't noticed any breakage. I just use the Motions sheen spray every other day for additional shine. What's also helped with moisture is the fact that I'm now deep conditioning and rollersetting twice a week. My hair is soft and bouncy. I've actually noticed an increase in moisture. I also have fine hair.

That's exactly what I'm doing now. Except I'm roller setting only once a week. I DC every time I wash and that is enough of moisture to take me through the week. Just a little sheen spray and I'm good. Except for a really light moisturizer on my edges every 2 to 3 days.

I found that my fine relaxed hair suffered alot with daily moisturizing (I had to learn the hard way by carrying around a mushy mess on my head for months). I would end up with broken hairs all over the place simply by passing my fingers through my hair.

I'm still learning the fine art of Moisture/Protein balance. But my hair is sooo much happier now. :yep:

I have the same problem. What has worked for me is two wash twice a week and I am heavy handed with my moisturizers when my hair is wet. I also rollerset my hair. Between washings if needed I add a little bit of oil and rub though.

If I didn't My hair would look a hot mess.

Back