January 2023 Hits and Misses

miss:
Bekura beauty Honey Latte
It's too light for my hair, my hair prefers thick creams as opposed to hair milks

hit:
Qhemet Biologics Heavy cream
my hair stays moisturized for more than 4 days without me having to re-moisturize. Plus I can get the bigger jar on black friday for a discount! and it'll last me all year since I use a small amount. I also use it to moisturize my scalp when I have braids in.

Ouidad
Hit
Cleansing conditioner. Very nice. Iused it after their clarifying shampoo. It softened and detangled my hair. Nice slip. Mild scent. Good moisture.

Clarifying shampoo. Cleans but doesn'tstrip the hair

On the fence
Ouidad Coily Triple deep conditioner. I left it on for 2 minutes per the instructions. After rinsing my hair wasn't moisturized, not dry, but just felt off. I doused my hair in Jlexillc pH water which had a 5.0 pH. My hair felt immediately soft and slippy.

I'll try it again leaving it on longer. It was definitely an improvement over the last time I tried it. Perhaps they tweaked the formula.

Hit
Jlexillc pH water. Good stuff. Unfortunately she cut me off. Guess I'll have to use ACV or have a friend by it for me LOL.

Miss: Chi Silk Infusion-This has been hyped up for years as a great heat protectant and while it did protect my hair from potential heat damage, I've had better results with other products in the past to straighten my hair. Part of the roots of my hair reverted quite quickly and my hair lacked shine and that oompf. My hair did feel "silky" but the results were just overall lacking as I expected much better results due it's so called reputation.

On the Fence: Chi Total Protect -I think it did well for the most part for blow drying my hair but I'm not sure if it's really that great

HIT
Clarifying. I did a quick WNG today to prep for coloring my hair this weekend. I used Neutrogena Healthy Scalp Clarify and Shine shampoo since the old anti residue shampoo has been discontinued. Deep conditioned. Skipped both wash out and leave in conditioner since I'm supposed to re-wash soon and used my cheapest gel, Ecostyler argan oil gel. Why does my hair look as good as it does when I leave the salon?!

Continued Hit
Adwoa Beauty Blue Tansy Reparative Mask
This mask just soaks into my strands like no one's business! Always a repurchase in my book

New Hit
Skipping Heavy Clarifier
After being inspired by a thread, I decided to use the Adwoa Beauty Blue Tansy Shampoo instead of the Melanin Haircare Black Soap Shampoo. Man shampooing was a breeze. I didn't even shampoo in twists this time! I will say I think my prepoo helped a looooot as my hair was still wet from it from hours before. Not letting my prepoo dry before I wash my hair has also been a game changer

Continued Hit
Adwoa Beauty Blue Tansy Reparative Mask
This mask just soaks into my strands like no one's business! Always a repurchase in my book

New Hit
Skipping Heavy Clarifier
After being inspired by a thread, I decided to use the Adwoa Beauty Blue Tansy Shampoo instead of the Melanin Haircare Black Soap Shampoo. Man shampooing was a breeze. I didn't even shampoo in twists this time! I will say I think my prepoo helped a looooot as my hair was still wet from it from hours before. Not letting my prepoo dry before I wash my hair has also been a game changer

Something magical in that Adwoa shampoo. Lol. I love that mask too.

Hit: Mielle pomegranate and honey leave in conditioner . One of my favorites and doesn’t have any build up when I use it to moisturize dry hair

Mielle pomegranate and honey max hold gel. Nice Soft yet fim hold and doesn’t flake no matter how much I put on. Great for slick backs but idk how a wash and go will work with this gel.

Miss
Jlexillc 5.0 pH water.
The first time I used it, my hair felt great. 3 weeks later I used it as my final rinse and my hair felt strange but ok. I started twisting my hair and the texture was increasingly dry and frizzy. By the time I finished my scalp started burning. I got back in the shower clarified my hair. Followed by a conditioner wash.

I pH tested the water and it is a 3.0 pH!. I am sitting under a heating cap trying to get my hair back. I didn't test the product when I got it. Maybe it gets more acidic the longer it sits. In any event I threw all of her products in the garbage.

continued hit:
castor oil
I like to use this as a scalp oil, in an oil rinse after using a DC and for hot oil treatments. I'm planning on getting locs soon, so i'll use it as a scalp oil.

Miss:
well, since i'm planning on getting locs, i'm gonna have to give the rest of my stash away to my sister since she's gonna be the only loose natural now (unless she wants to loc her hair too, idk). I'm gonna keep my castor oil and my hooded dryer. I hear with locs less is more so I won't overdo anything. I'm gonna miss my little stash though but it'll be good to have a clean slate. Going in for my loc consultation next friday!

Hit: AG Boost Conditioner

That AG boost conditioner is lovely. I can always tell if I love a product the very first time I use it. The large majority of the time that I have that experience it becomes a staple. AG boost is one of 3 conditioners I have tried in my lifetime(and I am definitely a product junkie), and feel this way about. The other two were Shu Uemura Ultimate Remedy(discontinued for several years now) and Oribe Moisture and Control conditioner(not the same as the intense conditioner or the mask, eventhough it is thick like a mask. I can still find this conditioner but not on the Oribe website anymore). Finding AG boost was right on time!

Last edited:
Hit: AG Boost Conditioner

That AG boost conditioner is lovely. I can always tell if I love a product the very first time I use it. The large majority of the time that I have that experience it becomes a staple. AG boost is one of 3 conditioners I have tried in my lifetime(and I am definitely a product junkie), and feel this way about. The other two were Shu Uemura Ultimate Remedy(discontinued for several years now) and Oribe Moisture and Control conditioner(not the same as the intense conditioner or the mask, eventhough it is thick like a mask. I can still find this conditioner but not on the Oribe website anymore). Finding AG boost was right on time!

This is a fav of mine.

Back