It's true that diry hair grows faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks love...all that length you see in my picture is a year worth of quick weaves. My hair barely fell below my ear before I started & no the only thing I did was wash every month when I got a new weave...didn't even really condition. My hair dresser told me it was the protein in the pro-style gel that did it.

The ladies here say it was the low manipulation & natural tendency to grow that did it.

Who knows?

We don't mean it was JUST the low manipulation that helped you retain the length, it was a combination of several things that were mentioned, that's why we have hair care regimens. Our hair depends on a number of things to thrive, not just one.

thanks chick!

So that's above normal? Hard to tell....but I can't judge if its over the 6 inches per year that its suppose to grow?

It depends on how many inches there are on your body from NL to APL. And it depends on what you mean by NL...if you started at the bottom of NL (right before shoulder) and then got to apl it could be the regular 6 inches. Measure it on your body and see.

I would say low manipulation too. When I was a little girl my mom didn't wash my hair very frequently, but it was always in a bun or two braids. I wasn't allowed to touch my hair or leave it down.

Fast forward to my relaxed teenager days and if I didn't wash it frequently my hair would break off and I never retained any length. Looking back it was the lack of protective styling as a relaxed head that made me lose all my length.

Try the protective style AND doing deep conditioning, I betcha you'll have even MORE growth. My hair used to grow like crazy (still does) with or without a relaxer, but the only difference now is that I'm actually retaining all my 6 inches a year.

I guess this is where I draw the line...regardless of how it grows, I'm not walking around with a funky, gunky, stinking, nasty head.

Op I think you may get similar results without it stinky to high heaven, If you washed more frequently and protectived styled. :yep:

I would say low manipulation too. When I was a little girl my mom didn't wash my hair very frequently, but it was always in a bun or two braids. I wasn't allowed to touch my hair or leave it down.

Fast forward to my relaxed teenager days and if I didn't wash it frequently my hair would break off and I never retained any length. Looking back it was the lack of protective styling as a relaxed head that made me lose all my length.

Try the protective style AND doing deep conditioning, I betcha you'll have even MORE growth. My hair used to grow like crazy (still does) with or without a relaxer, but the only difference now is that I'm actually retaining all my 6 inches a year.

You're darn tootin your hair grows like crazy! Your progress is the reason I haven't slacked off on my growth aid lol.

That's true... I think regardless of the fact no one can prove that dirty hair didn't attribute to my growth but low manipulation probably did...I'd have to say that a little bit of everything did, including time times my hair was dirty....That's just from my own experiences.

That's true... I think regardless of the fact no one can prove that dirty hair didn't attribute to my growth but low manipulation probably did...I'd have to say that a little bit of everything did, including time times my hair was dirty....That's just from my own experiences.

Did you just change your siggie? OMG your hair is gorgeous :yep:

Spicy, I don't know how many ways it can be said.

Dirt does not "make" your hair grow. Your hair is growing everyday regardless of whether it's dirty, clean, or in between. It's a biological process and it has nothing to do with what you put on your hair or don't.

Low manipulation also didn't "make" your hair grow. The low manipulation helped you to retain length.

That's what hair journeys are about, retaining what you grow. All the techniques (deep conditioning, treating your hair gently, decreasing heat usage, protective styles, etc.) help you keep the hair you grow on your head by decreasing the breakage at the ends.

It's all about length retention.

Dirt does not "make" your hair grow. Your hair is growing everyday regardless of whether it's dirty, clean, or in between. It's a biological process and it has nothing to do with what you put on your hair or don't.

Low manipulation also didn't "make" your hair grow. The low manipulation helped you to retain length.

That's what hair journeys are about, retaining what you grow. All the techniques (deep conditioning, treating your hair gently, decreasing heat usage, protective styles, etc.) help you keep the hair you grow on your head by decreasing the breakage at the ends.

I agree with this.

Nobody is disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that in my own experience maybe the dirty was true for ME...not saying it is true for anybody else. And that's not to say that dirty hair will make ANYBODY's hair grow...it's my opinion that in my case it did.

And based on prior experiences with keeping a routine and living with my hair for over 26 years I feel comfortable to stick to my opinion.

That's all.

As the ladies said, the myth about dirty hair and growth is just a myth. In addition to low/no mani routines, a good diet rich in protein also helps speeds hair growth.

Now that your hair has been released, it might be wise to monitor your protein/moisture balance and protect those ends so that you can retain the length.

Nobody is disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that in my own experience maybe the dirty was true for ME...not saying it is true for anybody else. And that's not to say that dirty hair will make ANYBODY's hair grow...it's my opinion that in my case it did.

And based on prior experiences with keeping a routine and living with my hair for over 26 years I feel comfortable to stick to my opinion.

That's all.

Dirt doesn't make your, or anyone's, hair grow. That's your opinion, but in this case your opinion is wrong. Not because I want it to be, but based on scientific facts it's just not the truth.

Dirt doesn't make your, or anyone's, hair grow. That's your opinion, but in this case your opinion is wrong. Not because I want it to be, but based on scientific facts it's just not the truth.
Well in either case...whatever I'm doing is working for me. We'll have to just agree to disagree :D

At least this is true for me.

Wearing quickweaves with pro-style gel w/protein for over a year has giving me twice the length I had. I went from NL to APL. I washed it monthly, hardly conditioned it and pretty much ABUSED my hair but it continued to grow long & thick!

But then again I got a relaxer on the 18th and I already feel an inch of new growth in my center.

Is anyone else dealing with their hair growing faster when its dirty?

Why does hair seem to grow more when its dirty?

:blush:

I see you're a newbie
Welcome to LHCF!

Arrow-Down.png

I wouldn't say having dirty hair made it grow better, less manipulation and keeping your ends protected helped you retain the growth.

My sentiments, and in addition to that, daily gentle washes to avoid breakouts have helped me.

You can test to see if it was the dirt or the low manipulation

Don't wash your hair for 8 weeks and leave it out loose. If you hair stays the same length or is shorter then you'll answer your own theory.

You're hair looks great.. Can you please explain what a quick weave is...and the procedure.
lol I basically did what everyone is disputing...I kept it dirty for over a year...a quick weave is where you have your hair combed into a wrap saturated with gel. Its then hardened so tracks can be glued to your hair...Quick weave!

You can test to see if it was the dirt or the low manipulation

Don't wash your hair for 8 weeks and leave it out loose. If you hair stays the same length or is shorter then you'll answer your own theory.
Very true...a lot of hostility on this subject. I have no problems trying that. As a matter of fact I regret the two times I did wash. I can definitely see the difference :(

Very true...a lot of hostility on this subject. I have no problems trying that. As a matter of fact I regret the two times I did wash. I can definitely see the difference :(

Aww I hope you don't mean on my part. I wasn't trying to be hostile. You know how much money I could save if I didn't wash my hair 400X a week?!! LOL So if I came across as hostile, my sincerest apologies.

I think that if anyone else comes off as hostile, most of us want to get rid of old myths and just have newbies realize that old hair practices were leading us to setbacks and not hair growth & retention. If washing less works for you then you should stick to your regimen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back