Is it okay to condition wash every day?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I just took my weave out yesterday and I'm on the road to hair recovery. I knew my hair was damaged, but wow. It's just so frail and fragile, I was scared to comb it while it was wet. I deep conditioned my hair yesterday, but is it okay to do conditioner washes every day until my hair gets healthy? Or would that be too much? What do you suggest? TIA!

I think some people can do it but you are probably going to have 2 concerns if you start this practice: 1) overmoisturization and 2) getting your hair scalp and hair to dry. You need to add weekly (maybe even 2x a week) medium protein treatments if your hair is relaxed and as needed protein if your hair is natural. If you cannot get your scalp to dry, this can lead to irritation, fungus, and losing hair in the spots that can't dry out properly, so be careful that you don't have these constantly wet spots. When I was natural, my crown would never dry and I lost hair in that spot because of it so I could never wash daily like I would've preferred to.

It is really about what works for your hair. My hair loves to be con washed DAILY!! I can do this for months and just clarify about 1x a week or every 2 weeks. Quite frankly, I acheive my best/fastest growth when I do this, otherwise I have to work to achieve lenght..:ohwell:

ETA: I do not comb my wet hair unless it is UNDER running water, and with a K-cutter.

I too just took out some braid extensions and my hair is weaker than normal. I say if you are going to do daily co washes (which I plan on doing for the next 2-3 weeks), make sure to balance them with a protein treatment about once a week.

Also, use a good detangler, if you comb your hair after washing. Dove and Pantene have good detanglers.

Thank you SO much, ladies! CAPlush, are there any good medium protein treatments that I can get from Walmart or Walgreens? LuvLiLocks, what is a K-Cutter? And since you co wash every day, do you also deep condition, or is the daily conditioner enough? Once again, thank you!

Thank you rdm! Do you use detangler after the shampoo or conditioner? Also, do you protein before the shampoo? TIA! :D

I do the protein treatment after shampooing. I follow this with a good moisturizing conditioner.

Today, I am 8.5 weeks post and I have 4a/b hair. When I came out the shower, I decided to roller set my hair to make it more manageable. For each section, I sprayed on some detangler prior to combing out.

tiffers said:
Thank you SO much, ladies! CAPlush, are there any good medium protein treatments that I can get from Walmart or Walgreens? LuvLiLocks, what is a K-Cutter? And since you co wash every day, do you also deep condition, or is the daily conditioner enough? Once again, thank you!

I believe you can get ORS Hair Mayo from Walgreens. If you can get to a BSS, Motions CPR or Aphogee 2 minute keratin are good bets.

tiffers said:

I know that a few ladies have a picture of the K-cutter in their albums, I will have to take a pic of mine and post it because I cant remember who. But it is basically large black come with metal teeth, kinda like an 'afro pick'....Anyway, I deep condition my hair either once a week, or once every two weeks, depending on how lazy I am feeling. And like one of the ladies mentioned, you can alternate with protien to add strength.

ORS Hair Mayo is a protein treatment? I used some yesterday as a pre poo for about an hour and a half. Should I have left it on longer? Did my hair get the protein since I used it as a pre poo and not post poo? Thank you for your response, B_Phlyy, I just saw your post. So the regiment should be: shampoo, protein, detangler and conditioner? Or can I use the Hair Mayo as protein for my pre poo? Thanks ladies!

Last edited:
It's okay to con wash every day, but your technique and the con you use are very important.
1. Don't use a purely moisturizing con if you intend to use it every day. You can balance it out with protein treatments as others have mentioned, but it's actually simpler to just use a more balanced conditioner to begin with. In general, that means avoid conditioners with heavy humectants like glycerin, and go easy on the cones. Soy, wheat, and rice proteins are good things (mild but helpful).

2. I know a lot of people "wash" with conditioner and then condition, but I get better results and less of that "overmoisturized" feeling if I simply rinse the hair throroughly and then condition.

3. When I follow the above 2 rules, I can shampoo and condition every 7-10 days and deep con with a fairly balanced conditioner without having to do anything too intensive on either the moisturizing or protein end.

BTW I'm not con washing presently because my current conditioner is very much a pure moisturizing con and not really suited for con washing. I always shampoo before using it.
But conditioners that work well for con washing that I've used include Jason Biotin, Jason Lavender, and Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hair Remoisturizer.

tiffers said:
ORS Hair Mayo is a protein treatment? I used some yesterday as a pre poo for about an hour and a half. Should I have left it on longer? Did my hair get the protein since I used it as a pre poo and not post poo? Thank you for your response, B_Phlyy, I just saw your post. So the regiment should be: shampoo, protein, detangler and conditioner? Or can I use the Hair Mayo as protein for my pre poo? Thanks ladies!

I haven't used ORS Hair Mayo and ages, but when I did, I always used it as a pre-poo. Your routine sounds good, but no matter when you do the protein step, just make sure to follow it with some moisture. I use Nexxus Keraphix and then follow with Humectress.

BlackCardinal said:
It's okay to con wash every day, but your technique and the con you use are very important.
1. Don't use a purely moisturizing con if you intend to use it every day. You can balance it out with protein treatments as others have mentioned, but it's actually simpler to just use a more balanced conditioner to begin with. In general, that means avoid conditioners with heavy humectants like glycerin, and go easy on the cones. Soy, wheat, and rice proteins are good things (mild but helpful).

2. I know a lot of people "wash" with conditioner and then condition, but I get better results and less of that "overmoisturized" feeling if I simply rinse the hair throroughly and then condition.

3. When I follow the above 2 rules, I can shampoo and condition every 7-10 days and deep con with a fairly balanced conditioner without having to do anything too intensive on either the moisturizing or protein end.

BTW I'm not con washing presently because my current conditioner is very much a pure moisturizing con and not really suited for con washing. I always shampoo before using it.
But conditioners that work well for con washing that I've used include Jason Biotin, Jason Lavender, and Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hair Remoisturizer.

Great tips!

I CW almost daily in the summer, never suffering any ill effects. My hair is very dry so it's very hard to overmoisturize. I'm like you, I just rinse and condition, not really washing with conditioner first (unless I use V05 Kiwi to clarify).

I have been cowashing every day or every other day for nearly a couple of years now. My hair doesn't get overmoisturized. It's just never happened. I also rarely do protein treatments and when I do, they are mild. Daily cowashing works very well for my hair, but I know it's not for everyone. I detangle gently with conditioner and a seamless comb directly under the shower spray.

The only problem I had was when I was using conditioners with cones and/or too much protein.

Thanks ladies! I'll remember to just rinse and condition. Are there any mild protein treatments that I can get from Walmart or Walgreens? Or is ORS Hair Mayo the only one? Cichelle, what is a seamless comb? Once again, THANKS YOU GUYS! :D

I used to but I hate wet hair in the winter...not becasue of the fear of getting sick...but i just hate the feeling. But in the summer I do it frequently. I get good results with Elucence MB and AO honey suckle rose.

Since your hair is frail and fragile, is it a good idea to subject it to the potential over-manipulation of daily washing?

tiffers said:
Thanks ladies! I'll remember to just rinse and condition. Are there any mild protein treatments that I can get from Walmart or Walgreens? Or is ORS Hair Mayo the only one? Cichelle, what is a seamless comb? Once again, THANKS YOU GUYS! :D

It's a comb that has no seams. (I'm not trying to be funny. :)) They are generally made from one piece, so that there are no seams where pieces would be put together.

Most combs have seams. You can look at your own comb and see if there is a line (seam) inside or on the teeth. Sometimes the seams can snag or break the hair.

There is a thread or two around here somewhere about seamless combs and the kinds people are using. If I find it, I'll bump it up for you.

Thanks Cichelle! BTW, how do you pronounce your name? I have a cousin named Sachelle (saw-shell) and I never though I would come across someone with a name similar to hers because it's so unique!

Back