Is it necessary to go to a stylist

Is it necessary to use a stylist/go to a salon?

• Yes- better to have a pro that knows what he/she is doingq

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • No- don't trust stylists/a DIY person

Votes: 94 42.3%
  • For certain services only: color, perms, cuts, etc

Votes: 120 54.1%

• Total voters

pinkchocolatedaisy

-Yes- it's better to have a pro that knows what he/she is doing
-No - don't feel it's necesary/don't trust stylists
-For certain services- color, relaxers/perms, trims, etc

I'm pretty much a DIY chick even though I've been pretty lazy with my hair in the past. Also I am cheap and some stylists just have a 'tude I can't deal with and are too dang scissor happy!

I've read the self relaxing tips on this board and if I end up texlaxing in the very far future, I would rather do it myself. I just don't think I could find a stylist that would be able to meet my needs and help me achieve my goals. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I will NEVA go back into a salon again!!!!!!

If it got to be done, I'll be doing it myself. Cant nobody take care of my hair better than me.

I have never found a stylist who treats my hair as carefully as I do. Most of them don't have the knowledge or patience to take care for my hair properly. I may go with wet, detangled, deep conditioned, heat protected hair and get a rollerset/blowout on special occasions.

It is not necessary. Although, I do think this is a personal decision that varies.
Since taking care of my hair on my own, my hair has never been healthier.
However, I must admit that I do miss having that sleek salon look.
I am getting better and I think that I will be able to acheive that look one day with practice.

It depends. I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to learn the basics of relaxing and coloring if you really want to do it yourself. But I used to try to relax my hair myself and couldn't stand it cuz it was so messy. I only go to the salon once every 2 months for a touch up so I am basically a diy'er.

When I am brave enough to self relax my hair, then I can officially say I am a DIY chick. But I am loving the fact that I'm taking care of my hair in between visits to the salon for a touch up only. My hair is definitely healthier now. In my opinion, a stylist would only be necessary for special occasions or for a relaxer, if you are not 100% DIY.

I know this is OT, but did yall see chellero's siggy?:lachen: Girl you are craaaaazy.

Anyway, I choose to go to the salon because I work 2 jobs and just dont have the time to be a DIYer. My stylist is great and listens to me, cares more about health thank stlye and is really patient. She's a keeper :yep:

9 times out of 10, when I went to the salon in the past, I left with a setback. Setback = cut instead of trim, hair falling out, etc.

I don't trust stylists with the health of my hair. If I wanted to treat myself, though, I'd probably go in for a wash or style. No treatments or anything like that though.

I don't think it's necessary to see a stylist. I have not been to a professional stylist since September. Although it takes me a while to do my own hair, I enjoy that time.

I have to admit that I miss having the salon look but I do think I will eventually achieve the same look.

The BEST thing for me has been to stay away from heat happy stylists!

I don't perm so I have no need for them unless I need a hair cut or a deep trim. Otherwise I'm on my own...

I gotta admit, there's one stylist I'm dying to go visit when my hair gets longer just to show her that I achieved my length all by myself without her heat happy torture tools, her small-toothed raking combs and her tight rollersetting. There's no way my hair would be this long had I still been going to her. Even the DRs were better for my hair and ya'll know how they love the blowdryer. Funny cuz I went in the shop with a friend of mine and she mentioned that when she was my stylist, my hair was longer. I didn't say anything b/c the mere fact she brought that up said to me she must have seen some decent hair length and was a little green...

And that was 1 1/2 ago!!!

I don't think it's necessary to see a stylist. I have not been to a professional stylist since September. Although it takes me a while to do my own hair, I enjoy that time.

I have to admit that I miss having the salon look but I do think I will eventually achieve the same look.

Do I enjoy that time?! Girl, I have a date with my hair every sat. night and I LOVE it...It's so sad...a complete obsession....

Why types of careers exist for hair obsessed people??? Besides being a stylist/cosmetologist

No it's not nec. but I do think it is okay for others to go for those special services. I do NOT trust them at all though.
My past stylists have always hindered my progress, kept cutting instead of trimming, pulled out my thick hair with rat tail combs, looking out for they pockets instead of the health of my hair... one lady burned me when I had already warned her I had one of the most sensitive scalps she will ever ever come across. She used a relaxer that really wasn't appropriate for my hair and when it was burning very early in the process, she was like "oh, u really do have a sensitive scalp."
I have products, supplies, a hooded dyer, a shower ( Im getting a new spray hose though). I have saved so much money being a self-stylist :rolleyes:. Sorry for the long answer...

I think if you fins a stylist who focuses on the health of the hair and not just the style of the hair then it would be a good idea. That is my goal. I plan on attending hair school this summer and also getting a degree in chemistry. I want to be able to care for the health of the hair and create an all natural haircare product line

DIY all day BABY!:yep:
Stylists are just people, no more intelligent than you yourself.

Anything that they can learn, I can learn too and maybe even improve upon.

They are occasionally useful if you find one very trustworthy and if you are getting a service that is extremely difficult to do on your own head.

There have just been way too many times that I left a salon realizing that I could have & would have done better if I had just done it myself.:wallbash:

I know this is OT, but did yall see chellero's siggy?:lachen: Girl you are craaaaazy.

Anyway, I choose to go to the salon because I work 2 jobs and just dont have the time to be a DIYer. My stylist is great and listens to me, cares more about health thank stlye and is really patient. She's a keeper :yep:

I JUST SAW HER SIGGY....AND STARTED ROOLLLLIIIN!!! I CAN'T EVEN ANSWER THE QUESTION NOW!!

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I am a DIYer and I find I take much better care of my own hair

However I have layers which I cannot cut and mainten because I need to be able see the back of my head and the angle of my arms would be :nono:

So for that it is necessary for me to visit a stylist

Everything else (weekly maintenance, relaxers, braids) I do myself.

I like certain sleek salon looks, but with patience and practice I think I will be able to do the same things myself.

I'm a total DIY'er and am enjoying the practice

I will NEVA go back into a salon again!!!!!!

If it got to be done, I'll be doing it myself. Cant nobody take care of my hair better than me.
ITA! I will never step into a salon again. I am so happy that I found this board. My hair has been stuck at the same length for over 3 years due to a scissor happy stylist that I didn't want to let go. I'm happy with my new DIY skills!

It is not necessary. Although, I do think this is a personal decision that varies.
Since taking care of my hair on my own, my hair has never been healthier.
However, I must admit that I do miss having that sleek salon look.
I am getting better and I think that I will be able to acheive that look one day with practice.
It looks like you got that sleek salon look with your Maxiglide!

The BEST thing for me has been to stay away from heat happy stylists!
I don't perm so I have no need for them unless I need a hair cut or a deep trim. Otherwise I'm on my own...
I gotta admit, there's one stylist I'm dying to go visit when my hair gets longer just to show her that I achieved my length all by myself without her heat happy torture tools, her small-toothed raking combs and her tight rollersetting. There's no way my hair would be this long had I still been going to her. Even the DRs were better for my hair and ya'll know how they love the blowdryer. Funny cuz I went in the shop with a friend of mine and she mentioned that when she was my stylist, my hair was longer. I didn't say anything b/c the mere fact she brought that up said to me she must have seen some decent hair length and was a little green...
And that was 1 1/2 ago!!!
I have a stylist that I'm dying to see when my hair gets longer! Especially because she yelled "Some hair just doesn't get any longer!" when I nicely told her that I don't want my hair to stay the same length. 1) There was no need to yell and 2) Give it a chance to get longer before you yell at me about it.

When she was my stylist I used to run into her at a certain mall. When my hair gets longer I am going to be walking all over that mall waiting to run into her. I haven't seen her since March '07 when she - once again - pressured me to get a trim even though she had given me a trim 6 weeks earlier.

A trim from her her is $10. I guess she really need that $10. My hair was stuck at the same length for years.

Last year I found a Dominican salon with great stylists, but the wait time in there was ridiculous. I have not been to a salon since Sept. I feel a sense of relief whenever I drive past a salon.

I will never go to a salon again. The last one I went to not only seriously overcharged but she burned my scalp and tore up my hair.

My hair has never been in better condition since I started DIY'ing.

Back