Is it good to wear your weaves back to back.

rere32

I saw on here where some members say that they wore their hair weaves back to back for over a year. I was wondering is this good practice or should you give your hair a break from time to time. If you wore your weave back to back were you satisfied with the growth after you decided to wear your own hair out. Also, is it more common for those who are fully natural to wear them back to back then from those who are relaxed.

I would give myself a break for at least a week. I would try to go two weeks so my hair and scalp could take a break.

During that time I would do some really deep conditioning, hot oil treatments, proteing treatments to make sure my hair was strong enough to take another month or so in a weave.

I did this mainly as a natural.

I think those with natural hair have better success wearing back to back weaves then relaxed heads.

I wore weaves back to back (take down, wash, DC, install a day or 2 later) all of 2008 and in the end my hair was a mess, which lead me here. I must also add that I wasn't taking good care of my hair under the weave.

I would give myself at least a 2 - 3 week break. I'm natural and I think that helps more than those who are relaxed. I always see people going back to back, as in the day the tke out their weave, they're back in the stylist's seat getting a new one and they have thin edges ( but theyre the ones who dont take care of their hair anyways)

IMO, I think that one should give the hair a break of at least a week. I have been wearing weavzes for over a year now, I keep mine in for 3 months. I give my hair a weeks break to rejuvenate by cowashing and to check on the overall health and progress that my hair is making (and to trim/dust if needed).

i wore weaves to grow my hair out. i wore them back to back for a year.

i had no issues with breakage or anything and my hair grew alot. i was ablt to go from neck length to below shoulder length, but you gotta take care of the hair underneath. shampoo, condition, moisturize. every week or two.

if you are relaxed, i wouldn't relax the part that is braided up until you take it down and don't plan on putting it back up again for at least 3-4 weeks. relaxed hair is weaker so the stress of the braids is not good.

I wear my weaves back to back because for one, I haven't had a relaxer since Feb 08, so right now, about 90% of my hair is natural. It's super thick because I take aminos, and other weight lifting supplements (I lift 5 days a week) so I think that has helped with the thickness, although I do not take them for that purpose.

Meanwhile, I moisturize my edges morning and night. I use Talijah Waajid Moisturizing spray on my edges. I've never had an issue with thinning edges ever in life, so I guess I'm blessed in that aspect. I also spray it on my cornrows, etc. I oil my scalp and use mega tek when I can remember, so my hair does nothing but grow.

Now, my hair was done on March 13 (new stylist) and she even commented on how healthy and long my hair was (she had to take down my last install) with no breakage. How about I have over one inch of new growth already. I just noticed it the other day.

Do I give my hair a break? No. This hairstyle is condusive to my lifestyle since i practically live in the gym and sweat in my hair a lot. However, I still take care of it underneath with no problems at all.

I am currently transitioning and haven't had a perm for 10 months but for 7 months of transitioning i wore my hair in sew-ins, micro's and Senegalese twists the whole time with only a day in between installs. My aunt is a stylist and has been for 45 years so she takes care of my hair when it is not in weave and she said my hair has thrived by wearing the various weaves she said it is very strong even though I still have relaxed ends. While in the weaves I just made sure my hair was oiled and I used the doo gro oil on my scalp the entire time. My aunt's only suggestion is to never get braids after a fresh relaxer because your hair can't handle the weight.

I think those with natural hair have better success wearing back to back weaves then relaxed heads.

I have done this but I really don't recommend it. After awhile the scalp becomes sore and may cause bald spots or thinning.

If I plan on relaxing after the takedown I will wait 2-4 weeks before another install...but if I'm not relaxing I will probably wait 5-7 days before a new install.

As long as it is installed and removed properly I see no problem.

ITA. I did this for 18 months after my BC and went from TWA to APL. By Month 12 I was well past SL....

My only regrets were two things:

1. I should have given my hair a longer break...I'd go less than a week and the pulling was painful! But no thinning....no balding THANK GOD!:wallbash:

2. The KIND of weaves I was getting was not very helpful...I was getting my hair in micros in the front and a sew-in in the back, so the front is a couple inches shorter than the back....So I have nice layers, but I understand what happened.....:sad:

Between weaves/braids I did mild protein shampoo and conditioning (Joico KAX products) and a 1/2 inch trim each time! Thats it....Loved it!

But the install and removal are KEY!

Last edited:
I wear my weaves back to back because for one, I haven't had a relaxer since Feb 08, so right now, about 90% of my hair is natural. It's super thick because I take aminos, and other weight lifting supplements (I lift 5 days a week) so I think that has helped with the thickness, although I do not take them for that purpose.

Meanwhile, I moisturize my edges morning and night. I use Talijah Waajid Moisturizing spray on my edges. I've never had an issue with thinning edges ever in life, so I guess I'm blessed in that aspect. I also spray it on my cornrows, etc. I oil my scalp and use mega tek when I can remember, so my hair does nothing but grow.

Now, my hair was done on March 13 (new stylist) and she even commented on how healthy and long my hair was (she had to take down my last install) with no breakage. How about I have over one inch of new growth already. I just noticed it the other day.

Do I give my hair a break? No. This hairstyle is condusive to my lifestyle since i practically live in the gym and sweat in my hair a lot. However, I still take care of it underneath with no problems at all.

ITA here too. When I first BC'd...I took on a 2nd job and since then started building a business (on top of both jobs)....plus the workouts kept my busy and sweaty.....so it was very conducive to my lifestyle.....I am rocking braids this summer (1st weave since Dec 2009) and on day 4 of my braids I realize today I've MISSED my braids/weaves! But I am going to be traveling and working so much the break is welcome!:yep:

being natural, and growing my hair back, i don't see a problem.

when i sit and think about it, there was NO WAY i could "give my hair a break" for a week or two between braids or weaves. i only had about 1 to 2" (post 9 months of baldness).

For 9 months my "scalp" had a break. it had no hair on it. Thus, it was more socially acceptable. Folks thought i was a cancer patient.

When the hair started growing back, and i started working in a high end environment, thant changed.

It's easy to "give your hair a break" if you have a lot of hair, and a little head. A pretty face helps as well. But i didn't have no more than 1-2" of hair - and a BIG HEAD.

If you have this same problem, you have my permission to wear weaves/braids back to back. At least until your hair grows out to a decent length.

There's no sense in going out in public (especially in my case) looking like Shrek with Tits.

Back