Naturals Who Wear Weaves & Wigs 24/7 & 365 Days

I WEAR WIGS ALL THE TIME!! and everyone in my family hates it b/c "I have good hair" (yea they old school :nono:) and its long

while I am WL - my hair is thin from years of abuse and my edges are :nono:

I have alway been natural but to this day I can honestly say I really dont know how to style my hair

I always wore buns and braids (since I played sports)

I would like to stop wearing wigs but I need to work on my edges and thickness

To be honest i'm also lazy! Its sad but true

I have learned my lesson though

Maybe for some of the hardcore weave/wig wearers, they feel that because they're never gonna show their natural hair, then what's the point in wasting time and money relaxing it, when it's gonna be hidden anyway? So natural is how they'll leave it.

yoooo i never thought about it this way!!!!! some people are natural not because they embrace their hair, but because its just cheaper and easier to not relax its never gonna show b/c they wear wigs/weaves 24/7...my best friend stopped getting relaxers a couple years ago (except for this little piece of leave out she just relaxed for a middle part), because she always wore braids or full weaves and so her hair underneath didnt matter...she didnt stop getting perms, because she loves her hair, or wants to take better care of it, or was sick of conforming, or was curious about her curl pattern, it was just cheaper not to relax, especially since her own hair is never out (and i mean NEVER, she gets her weave taken out at the salon, washed and put right back in the same day).

but i dont think you really love your natural hair if you sewin in or slappin on bone straight indian remy, or italian body wave 24/7...if its a more natural texture, i kinda give them a pass i guess, but still they should let their own hair see the light of day sometimes

Me.
I wear wig 365. I have been for years.
I'm almost at my goal which is waist length....
So I showed my friends my pics...
They were all like WOOOOOW! Now you have to wear it out!!

Nope. I got to this length with a wig, I will continue to maintain my length, and grow more with a wig.

I know how to take care of it properly, and have been doing so since 2004... These are the fruits of my labour, I just don't need the whole world to see it, while potentially damaging it in the process.

I also like straight hair on myself, but I don't want to subject my own hair to heat all the time to get the styles I like.

Wigs are my go to choice.

Interesting point. Honestly I can't see the point in BKTing, relaxing, or doing any kind of chemical process to your hair if you never have it out anyway. Its the best way to save money doing what they do. However loving it? I'm not sure I believe that, but only they could say...

I have a number of friends like this. The only time I see their natural hair is when they post a picture on Instagram or Twitter and write #TeamNatural :look:. I don't think much of it. They would be wearing weaves 24/7 whether natural or relaxed. They just prefer the look and don't want to deal with the maintenance required of real hair, relaxed or natural.

If I was able to tolerate weaves, I would have used them to transition a long time ago. The only time it ever irks me is when they have something to say about relaxers. Even then, I'm thinking whatever...you're too insecure to wear your real hair :rolleyes:. I had a friend post about how she doesn't need a relaxer because her hair isn't stressed out. The next picture was her booty-length, silky straight weave.

Aviah said:
Interesting point. Honestly I can't see the point in BKTing, relaxing, or doing any kind of chemical process to your hair if you never have it out anyway. Its the best way to save money doing what they do. However loving it? I'm not sure I believe that, but only they could say...
i agree with the doubts about loving it.
I don't think buying real hair lacefronts or weaves is a cheap option..

Let's be honest the majority of these wigs and weaves are straight hair anyway , keeping that on top of 3/4 type hair says it all to me . No love there .

Could it be that they actually do love their hair, but don't love the flack they get from friends, family, and society for wearing out? Hair isn't the only thing this happens with, it could be a tattoo for example, you love it but know that it isn't acceptable in the work place so you hide it to appear professional. Does it mean you hate your tattoo? It's the same with hair. Just trying to look at this from another point of view...I think there are people who genuinely love their hair but hate that others don't love it too. It's psychologically crippling...

I love my hair so much I want to keep it:) and keep it safe and protected I wear wigs as a PS for 2 reasons one is the obvious I don't have to manipulate my hair on a daily basis for styling and 2 because I have trichtotillimania si keeping my hair covered is crucial :) hth

this is how i feel about women who bun 24/7. you have all that length but you dont show it?? its crazy.

The ones I know readily admit to hating their hair texture & loving weaves.
Never heard anyone say they love their own hair but refuse to let it be seen.

Eta: when you become dependent on weave your own hair will probably always seem less than...not as thick, not as long, not as shiny, etc.

Last edited:
I dont know anyone personally who is natural but always wears weaves/wigs but if any od you all watch Glozell on youtube, her hair is actually natural (about BSB)

Honestly I was shocked when I saw a video of her with her natural hair ... and she has a nice head of it!!!!
She never got into why she only wears wigs but I find the whole phenomena odd.

and just to add, I also find it odd when ladies who have a lovely thick head of long relaxed hair and never ever wear it out.

I hide my hair a LOT of the time (in crochet braids) because I'm.on.a.MISSION!
That mission is to get to full MBL as fast as possible, then enjoy my length once I get there. I'm just passed APL and am fast approaching BSL...ain't no-one gonna stop me!

I PS about 4/5 of the time..and in between my extensions I wear my hair in a bun.

Well for now I am wearing my wigs 24/7 until next year when I'm apl , but I'm really wearing wigs because I cut my hair in the front n bang.area to chop off the relax ends ,so until that part all reaches about chin length I will then wear my real hair ,n even then I mite wear wigs during the week day so I can get to mbl , also an honest statement is because I really hate my shrinkage n its nothing to do with my hair I'm really style challenged. Also my hair gets all the TLC underneath daily so I'm good

To me, wigs and weaves are twice the work. You have to maintain the hair beneath and the hair you're wearing. Ugh. No thanks.

How are you all protecting your edges while wearing wigs, specifcally LF. I do not glue mine down. I have heard not to use the stocking caps since they sit too snug on the hairline. What other options to I have please? Thanks

I know a lot of people like this, including myself. Weaves are easier to style for me than my natural hair, and they allow me to abuse color, cutting, etc that I do no want to do with my real hair. It's everyone personal choice, not everyone chooses to be natural for the same reason, and just because a person wants to wear weaves/wigs 95% of the time, it doesn't make them any less natural or accepting of their natural hair. Like mentioned before, why relax your hair if you never wear it out? A lot of the times, that's too much stress on the hair. I think some people just can't accept the fact that natural hair is REALLY not that serious for most people off the boards. A lot of these people I know stopped relaxing their hair years ago before the whole "Natural hair movement" so it was never that deep for them. Questioning why someone chooses to wear a weave or wig the majority of the time and whether or not it really makes them natural is silly. As far as I'm concerned, if you do not relax your hair, you are natural in my eyes whether you want to wear a weave, wig, heat train, or wear your hair curly 100% of the time.

I don't get it personally. My cousin's gf does this. As soon as she bc'd she got a weave, and has kept one ever since....that was five years ago, she still hasn't gotten past ear length. She is a self proclaimed natural nazi.

I know a lot of people like this, including myself. Weaves are easier to style for me than my natural hair, and they allow me to abuse color, cutting, etc that I do no want to do with my real hair. It's everyone personal choice, not everyone chooses to be natural for the same reason, and just because a person wants to wear weaves/wigs 95% of the time, it doesn't make them any less natural or accepting of their natural hair. Like mentioned before, why relax your hair if you never wear it out? A lot of the times, that's too much stress on the hair. I think some people just can't accept the fact that natural hair is REALLY not that serious for most people off the boards. A lot of these people I know stopped relaxing their hair years ago before the whole "Natural hair movement" so it was never that deep for them. Questioning why someone chooses to wear a weave or wig the majority of the time and whether or not it really makes them natural is silly. As far as I'm concerned, if you do not relax your hair, you are natural in my eyes whether you want to wear a weave, wig, heat train, or wear your hair curly 100% of the time.

@MsSanz92

I don't understand the comparison to relaxing one's hair to wearing a weave. Those are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT things.

If I chemically treat my hair, whether it's with dye or with a relaxer, it does not change the fact that it's still MY own hair growing out of my scalp...wearing my own hair in a relaxed state is not the same as wearing a weave.

To each her own. I'm not against an occassional sew-in or wig.

Last edited:
@MsSanz92

I don't understand the comparison to relaxing one's hair to wearing a weave. Those are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT things.

If I chemically treat my hair, whether it's with dye or with a relaxer, it does not change the fact that it's still MY own hair growing out of my scalp...wearing my own hair in a relaxed state is not the same as wearing a weave.

To each her own. I'm not against an occassional sew-in or wig.

I don't think she is comparing relaxed hair to wearing weaves.
I believe what she is trying to say is... what's the point of relaxing your hair if you are just going to rock a weave and cover your hair.

Last edited:
I don't think she is comparing relaxed hair to wearing weaves.
I believe what she is trying to say, what's the point of relaxing your hair if you are just going to rock a weave and cover your hair.

Thanks for the clarification...that makes sense.

How are you all protecting your edges while wearing wigs, specifcally LF. I do not glue mine down. I have heard not to use the stocking caps since they sit too snug on the hairline. What other options to I have please? Thanks

I can't say what options you have regarding LF wigs, but for other wigs you can use the "swig cap". It's a silk wig cap. I found them thanks to LHCF, but I don't even know where I purchased it, mine 1 cap has lasted quite a while.

Perhaps u-part wigs would be a better option?

I think it depends whether or not they're doing it to PS or not. My friend gets her extensions done at this salon: gorgeous growth.com her hair grew from CBL to a little past WL and she swears by the "weave method" Her hair is very healthy.

Since I been natural since Feb 2010 I have never had my real hair out since sept 2009 and my hair is the longest and healthiest it's been since my mom took care of it as a kid! I plan on keeping weave till I finish nursing school in 2014. I still wash, deep cond, and moisturize faithfully with wigs and sew-in.

Back